PDA

View Full Version : It's already "started"

FuManShoes
11-03-2009, 06:24 PM
I always get a kick out of this talk and speculation about who will start when the season kicks off or who will be starting come March. It's an old saw that it's less important who starts a game than who finishes it. I know for many of us "Starting 5" is just an easy synonym for "Best 5." That said, many seem to read so much into who gets slotted into the starting lineup. OK, so maybe Manny starts in place of Gray (highly unlikely). SO what if he did? I don't know that that means Steven has been demoted. It could mean that gee, Few has a big gun to bring off the bench to play alongside the new guys and Steven is better in that role than as designated shooter from tipoff. My $0.01.

MickMick
11-03-2009, 06:36 PM
To argue over too much talent isn't a bad thing. Everyone is scratching their collective heads over the top nine. Even the starting five. It comes with the territory.

zag67
11-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Great post. Also people should remember, that Micah started last year because he earned it and was also senior. If Micah and Steven had been in the same class, I think that the coaches would have made the decsion based on who could bring more to the table coming off the bench. In this case Steven is the upperclass member, who knows the offense, knows the defense, plays and practices at full speed. When the season starts, the position will be his. As the year goes on players will find their niche on this team, and hopefully just keep making this team better. Unless a player quits playing hard (and I do not see that happening with these players), I do not think that you will see a change in the starters during the season. But you will see a change in a player's minutes.

Pargo the Destroyer
11-03-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm more worried about who redshirts. I'm glad we have a full cupboard as they say. This year is gonna be fun!

krozman
11-03-2009, 08:56 PM
This year it seems we have a cupboard full of ingredients, but somehow we're waiting to see whats for dinner. Chef Few is a great cook though.

BobZag
11-04-2009, 09:10 AM
This year it seems we have a cupboard full of ingredients, but somehow we're waiting to see whats for dinner. Chef Few is a great cook though.

Great analogy, kroz.

And Sam Dower will redshirt, Destroyer.

Vizagra
11-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Its times like these that I stay away from this board. Everyone is already stating what Few should do, who should play, who shouldn't etc. The fact of the matter is, GU played a HighSchool team the other night. Everyone take a breath and lets see how good we are against some good competition. JohnnyGonzaga said it best on another thread when he stated, he was going to hold off on anything untilafter the MSU game.

Don't get me wrong, I hope everything stays the same and Arop and the rest of the new comers continue to dominate, but to jump to conclusions, based on garbage minutes in a total blowout is a little premature to me.

I am excited about this year though. It is gonna be FUN to watch! :)

GO ZAGS!

CDC84
11-04-2009, 09:47 AM
A lot will be revealed after this weekend's scrimmage against Texas. Man are they going to get tested......

hooter73
11-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Yep first game and its wild on here. Who knows who had an uncommonly good or bad night? a couple more games down and we should have a better idea of what the coaching staff and players will decide.

Didnt Sacre start a few games last year early on kind of as a reward for how hard he worked even if Josh go the minutes? Dont know why i thought of that but one of the first few posts rattled it up in my head.

DADoZAG
11-04-2009, 10:10 AM
I always get a kick out of this talk and speculation about who will start when the season kicks off or who will be starting come March.

It’s already started? For some of us Kool-Aid junkies it started back in March.

A slight modification of an old analogy...
There are those that see the glass half empty because disappointments have darkened their optimism. There are those that see the glass half full because they have hope their dreams will come true. Then there are those that KNOW the glass is completely full and that the joy in life is in the discovery of its contents.

Thank you all for sharing in the journey of discovering the 09-10 ZAGS.

It’s already started, and running at full steam, baby!

Go ZAGS!

sullyzag66
11-04-2009, 10:38 AM
A lot will be revealed after this weekend's scrimmage against Texas. Man are they going to get tested......
Yeah. Few said in an interview after the Alberta game that he'd know where they're at after the Texas scrimmage. He sort of laughed and said, "I think I know where we're at."

BobZag
11-04-2009, 10:39 AM
It's just kRaZy, I tell ya. KrAzY! Sheeeeeeeer MaDnEsS.

Fwiw, I won't judge this team til after Maui. Alberta, MVSU, IPFW are too easy and Sparty is Top-2. Let's wait for a happy medium in Maui.

Savvy?

Thomas_Sutpen
11-04-2009, 11:49 AM

True, although not necessarily revealed to the fans. It is a closed scrimmage, after all, and Few is often coy about what he reveals publicly.

Tough OOC sched coming up........

cjm720
11-04-2009, 11:59 AM
This board should simply cease to exists until the Michigan State game, then? Effing ridiculous. Any game, any comment can be dissected for better or worse. It's what we do as fans. We speculate, we judge, we wait. Why not develop expectations and alter as we go along? Sure Jordan comparisons are way over the top and Alberta is no Oklahoma, but the discussions are fun. Just my $.02.

Go Zags!

Pargo the Destroyer
11-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Great analogy, kroz.

And Sam Dower will redshirt, Destroyer.

ah Dower it is. A good choice, and I am sure, a tough choice.

that all, besides stockton?

Gonzdb8
11-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Its times like these that I stay away from this board.

really? these are the time i love coming to this board. wild rampant speculation is part of the fun of being a fan. i want more people take on what coach should do, who should start, how players are looking, perceptions of upside, etc. lighten up and enjoy it :-)

marczagfan
11-04-2009, 01:22 PM
This is a great thread.....It's funny how everyone seems to jump off the gray bandwagon and some are ready to throw him under the bus just because he missed some shots and Arop played well. Arop is a player...no doubt about it (my favorite of all the frosh)....and in time will be great and he is ready to play now and I'm sure he will. But Steven has something we all forget, 2 productive years in a zag uni and with this offense. Gray was our 6th option last year, and is our 2nd this year, give the kid a break, he wasn't asked to score the last 2 years but still put up almost 10 ppg coming off the bench. Did everyone forget about the Uconn, Tenn, or LMU games last year or the santa clara or davidson games the year before, when he needs to step up he does, and he will need to do it a lot more this year. He has not been the go to guy yet, but this year he will be asked to score a lot more and I guarantee he will become a star this year. Don't get on him for a 2 for 10 performance against Alberta in an exhibition game, he took 6 '3' pointers in 19 minutes, only 1 dropped, but it is really encouraging that he was looking for his shot, most nights he hits 3 or 4 of those and plays 30 min and not 19. This is a fantastic board and a TON of diehard and informed zag fans. I love our freshman and they have the makings to be great, but the team this year will live or die on Gray, Boldin, Sacre, and Meech, guys that have been in the program before.

sonuvazag
11-04-2009, 01:59 PM
This is a great thread.....It's funny how everyone seems to jump off the gray bandwagon and some are ready to throw him under the bus just because he missed some shots and Arop played well. Arop is a player...no doubt about it (my favorite of all the frosh)....and in time will be great and he is ready to play now and I'm sure he will. But Steven has something we all forget, 2 productive years in a zag uni and with this offense. Gray was our 6th option last year, and is our 2nd this year, give the kid a break, he wasn't asked to score the last 2 years but still put up almost 10 ppg coming off the bench. Did everyone forget about the Uconn, Tenn, or LMU games last year or the santa clara or davidson games the year before, when he needs to step up he does, and he will need to do it a lot more this year. He has not been the go to guy yet, but this year he will be asked to score a lot more and I guarantee he will become a star this year. Don't get on him for a 2 for 10 performance against Alberta in an exhibition game, he took 6 '3' pointers in 19 minutes, only 1 dropped, but it is really encouraging that he was looking for his shot, most nights he hits 3 or 4 of those and plays 30 min and not 19. This is a fantastic board and a TON of diehard and informed zag fans. I love our freshman and they have the makings to be great, but the team this year will live or die on Gray, Boldin, Sacre, and Meech, guys that have been in the program before.
I hope you're right. Not to mention Gray's laid-back demeanor is part of his unique character and makes him effective as an ice-cold assassin. I believe he will be effective as long as he is also opportunistic and it sounds like he took his shots the other night. He won't miss so many of them next time. That's my bet.

BobZag
11-04-2009, 02:02 PM
ah Dower it is. A good choice, and I am sure, a tough choice.

that all, besides stockton?

That's all.

cjm720
11-04-2009, 02:03 PM
I like your post and enthusiasm for Gray, Marczagfan. But frankly when the coach pretty much calls him out and he's busy with drama class, I am very curious with what's up with Gray and his progress. He's in a position to shine this year and I hope he does. He just needs to prove it on a consistent basis.

go zags!!

marczagfan
11-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I like your post and enthusiasm for Gray, Marczagfan. But frankly when the coach pretty much calls him out and he's busy with drama class, I am very curious with what's up with Gray and his progress. He's in a position to shine this year and I hope he does. He just needs to prove it on a consistent basis.

go zags!!

I agree and I think everyone on this board wants to see Gray shine, we all know what he is capable of. I just don't think he has been given his chance yet and the first half of this year he will have a chance to prove all his critics wrong. I am just looking forward to the ride this year that this team has the capability of taking us on. There will be some highs and lows, but with so many unknowns there is no celing to where this team can go. It's going to be as exciting and unpredictable as any of the recent teams we've had.

NotoriousZ
11-04-2009, 03:08 PM
BobZag: ...And Sam Dower will redshirt, Destroyer.

Pargo the Destroyer: ah Dower it is. A good choice, and I am sure, a tough choice. that all, besides stockton?

That's all.

You sound pretty sure, BZ. Man, there's going to be one insane battle for minutes.