PDA

View Full Version : Game coverage from the U of Alberta website

Section 116
11-03-2009, 03:29 PM
A friend of mine gave me a heads up earlier today on a decent game coverage article from the U. of Alberta website. I'm not sure, but I suspect it was written by a student. In any case it is well written, fairly balanced, gives credit where credit is due and does a decent job of covering the game:

http://www.bears.ualberta.ca/Basketball/Men/?pt=news&ID=3786

ID ZAGFAN
11-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Nice article.

I did notice that the author did not seem to understand the significance of the non-conference schedule and the conference schedule all being part of the regular season schedule.

Think how awful it would be if we had to wait two months for the next game! :)

ID ZAGFAN

Baldwinzag
11-03-2009, 04:03 PM
When the loud crowd wasn’t chanting school cheers, they were yelling “USA, USA”, all in an attempt to rattle their Canadian visitors, who rarely get the opportunity to play in such an atmosphere.

Did we really chant "USA"? I understand the intent behind it, but I'm sure the perception was ill received. If true(most likely a rumor or small sample), I seriously wonder if the Kennel Club realizes there are four Canadian-born players on this team. If anything, we should be singing "Oh, Canada" before the game and chanting "Canada" throughout...as our program's future rests in the hands of these crazy Canucks. ;)

ID ZAGFAN
11-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Yes, the entire Kennel Club (and if you saw my pics in an earlier post, you know how many that was) chanted USA! USA! USA! for long enough for everyone to hear it very clearly.

I, for one, was embarrassed. :(

On a happier note, the Military Professor (whose name I cannot remember) did a great job of singing "O, Canada!" and then "The Star Spangled Banner" and the crowd was very respectful! :)

ID ZAG FAN

ZagNative
11-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Fortunately, it sounds as if they enjoyed their visit despite the classless display by some in the KC:
Following the 94-53 finish, Leigh stated that the contest had a lot of positives for his team.

“Well, we didn’t come down here to lose, and I thought we did a good job competing against a really good team that was really physical,” the North Vancouver guard said. “We battled hard, we hung with them for 15 minutes or so, and played some really good ball at times. This was another step for us. We want to get better, and it's experiences like this that will help us.”

The returning starter, one of just three from last season, also said that the team thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere the Spokane crowd bestowed on them.

“It was great out there; it definitely ranks above a ‘10’ on a scale of ten, that’s for sure. It was a great atmosphere to be a part of, and a great game to play in, even though we lost.”

ID ZAGFAN
11-03-2009, 04:31 PM
I should say that I don't think it was done to rattle the Golden Bears--I did not hear the entire KC chant USA until the last 5-10 minutes--when the Golden Bears were already way beyond rattled.

ID ZAGFAN

Mantua
11-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Was it done tongue-in-cheek? The Canadian student article had a great deal of charm.

RenoZag
11-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Re: the article: How does one "drain" a layup ?

Just sayin'. . .

Nevtelen
11-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the article...

I think they hit the nail on the head when they said...

"The Bulldogs’ defense was the story though, as by the midway point of the second half, Alberta was reduced to shooting 12-37 from the field, while the ‘Zags were hitting 26-50".

I think the D kicked up midway through the first half though and I credit all those young kids last night for that. I saw it in the young guys more than Matt or Steven. I am so pleased with their effort and I am so proud to be a Zags fan.

As for the USA chant. I don't see harm in being proud of your country. I come from a miliitary family though. I think the best basketball is also played in the USA so I don't really understand the other side of that. I appreciate the game and the experience.

Thank you Golden Bears for the game! Our young kids also learned from it.

Okay, but chanting 'USA' when a third of your team is Canadian (and one German)? Not the best move IMO.

sittingon50
11-03-2009, 06:46 PM
KC has been chanting "USA" after the anthem for a couple of years. Without totally hijacking the thread, I never have liked it (more on political terms than sportsmanship).

With 4 Canadians & a German on the roster, I think it's shallow & misplaced.

JMO.

SWZag
11-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Did we really chant "USA"? I understand the intent behind it, but I'm sure the perception was ill received. If true(most likely a rumor or small sample), I seriously wonder if the Kennel Club realizes there are four Canadian-born players on this team. If anything, we should be singing "Oh, Canada" before the game and chanting "Canada" throughout...as our program's future rests in the hands of these crazy Canucks. ;)

Was the Canadian National Anthem not played before the game? I thought it was always played before an international matchup. I'm surprised if they didn't play it.

sittingon50
11-04-2009, 08:53 AM
& U.S. Anthems both sung (very well) by an ROTC member (?).

BRAY88
11-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Was the Canadian National Anthem not played before the game? I thought it was always played before an international matchup. I'm surprised if they didn't play it.

I would hop the Canadian anthem was sung as it shows respect for the opposing team from Alberta and the 4 Canadians on the Zags. If it was not sung it should be brought up to somebody because that would be plain classless and embarassing, not to mention arrogant the USA chants slone were shortsighted and shows the boastful arrogance of some american sports fans.

ZagNative
11-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Among the many stories I read about that game, I remember seeing it noted that the Canadian anthem was sung first, followed by the US anthem. It's all good. I was disappointed that I didn't hear Oh, Canada listening on the radio. I think KGA must have cut to a commercial during that time.

NEC26
11-04-2009, 06:06 PM
You guys getting upset about the students chanting U.S.A are ridiculous. We are getting WAY to politically correct if we cant be proud of our country. How bout when we play the dawgs or the cougs and they chant this is our state is that out of line too? Give me a break the amount of things people get offended by is ridiculous these days. :confused:

MickMick
11-04-2009, 06:40 PM
1980 Olympics

Russia vs USA in hockey.

A major upset.

The USA chant moved an entire country in the face of the cold war.

That is what I think of when I hear it.

I suppose the kennel is a little different setting though :)

sittingon50
11-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Disagree, NEC.

Kiddwell
11-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Re: the article: How does one "drain" a layup ?

Just sayin'. . .

Pipe wrench.

:]