PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of Sam Dower

Reborn
11-03-2009, 12:40 PM
After looking at the stats Dower certainly jumped out at me. I was thinking he might redshirt, but if this is an indication of his play I think he will not redshirt. He got the 2nd most minutes by the 10 new guys, second only to Manny Arop. Sam also had 5 offensive boards. He seems like he can score. He was the second leading scorer on the team last night. Yes. Mark Few has some tough decisions to make, but he has lots of time and lots of non conconference games. But the redshirt decision will be made sooner than later I think. Since I didn't see the game, I was wondering what he looked like? Can you help me out?

ZagHouse
11-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Good size. Looks older than a freshman (probably the beard). Weird release--coming off his wrist, his shot looks ugly (I think he's a lefty), but he battled for boards and was agressive on both ends. Few has a tough decision between Kelly and him. It's too bad they can't redshirt Poling again.

Salsageek
11-03-2009, 01:01 PM
I was very surprised by his game. Good hustle and nice jumper.

Please work on your 3pt shot. Same thing happened over the summer when i watched the team play, Sam's 3pt shot looks very weird to me. I am no expert when it comes to basketball technique but it just doesn't look natural at all.

gozagswoohoo
11-03-2009, 01:21 PM
damn sour

(I just made that up! Woohoo)

Do you get it?

Baldwinzag
11-03-2009, 01:21 PM
From a previous post:

Sam is simply a fun player to watch and is one of those players who puts a smile on your face when he scores or does something positive on the court. The other players who've had this type of affect on me were players such as Ronny, Dickau, Ammo, and now Sam Dower.

The Good: Sam appears to be our first "true" scoring post prospect we've had in a long time--even moreso than Elias down the road. With continued physical development, he could resemble the next Ronny Turiaf and maybe even better on the offensive end. Sam NEVER stops moving when he knows the play, with or without the ball. He is bouncy, long, and more athletic than many players his size. He does a nice job fighting for position and uses his length and soft hands to receive the ball in the post. Once he receives the ball, he immediately makes his move without hesitation. Not much hesitation in his game, which is something our current post players could learn from, especially Sacre. He displays good habits in the paint. He has an elite touch around the rim, especially on the left side. I believe his left-handed preference helps him considering most defenders never expect a hook or turn around jumper from the opposite side. Eventually, he'll be able to score at will from the post and gains good position to give himself the best opportunity to score. The area that impressed me most was his aggresiveness to score and be "the guy", also his O-boards were impressive as well. He is very aware of where his teammates are on the court and shows the ability to find the open shooter or slasher when necessary. He seems to make the right decision when he gets the ball or rebound. He feels the pressure and defense around him.

The Bad: Sam has a tendency to fade-away on many of his shots. I think this is due to playing against shorter players and watching too much NBA. While he seems to make these shots, he'll be unable to get away with this shot vs D1 teams. If he would go up strong and with a little more elevation, he'd be able to draw the foul a majority of the time. Also, while Sam gains solid position in the post on both ends of the floor, he can lose focus at times. He gave up boards or easy shots to shorter players because of this lapse of concentration. His rebounding technique could use some work as he relays on his superior wing-spand a little too much. Very little to find a flaw in Sam's game. He needs to develop more muscle/strength and do a better job staying focused and box out more.

Overall, Sam is the athletic, bouncy, and skilled post player we've been missing, since Ronny. He will never be a banger at this level, yet will be an outstanding left-handed post player who loves to score. He is very coachable and smart kid. By the time he's a JR, I see him being our leading scorer and an unstoppable duo with Elias underneath.

BobZag
11-03-2009, 02:09 PM
When he shoots he chicken wings a bit, meaning his elbow flares way out. I have to think Tommy Lloyd or Jerry Krause will work with him on this. Sam needs more bulk and muscle to mix it up with the brutes on the top teams. I like his potential a lot, as I do with Kelly and Andy. I think in a couple years these Zags could form a top frontcourt, the upside and skill is certainly there.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-03-2009, 02:17 PM
He will never be a banger at this level

I wouldn't use the word "never" when forecasting the career of a freshman. A lot can change in four or five years.

MickMick
11-03-2009, 02:22 PM
I really like him.

I would like him even more if he played closer to the rim.

NotoriousZ
11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't know if it's just me...did anyone see him pass the ball? I remember him taking shots almost instantly whenever he got possession. The man is NOT gun shy, but I think he'd be wise to keep his shot selection closer to the basket at this point.

I love his size and his desire to score, but I'm thinking the redshirt will do him a world of good for next year.

75Zag
11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Sam is in my opinion the perfect Red Shirt candidate. A kid with plenty of potential but needing to bulk up on his weight and muscle mass and a kid who would benefit from a year of intra-squad practice against some great GU teammates to improve his basketball IQ.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Ezag
11-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Dower was money. I think he might be Greg Oden's long lost brother!

BobZag
11-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Dower was money. I think he might be Greg Oden's long lost brother!

er, okay. :confused:

MDABE80
11-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Ezag...not close. He's not THAT bad. Kinder, gentler .......