PDA

View Full Version : Offensive glass; 3 pt. shooting; Gray; rotation

CDC84
11-03-2009, 08:20 AM
The Zags outrebounded Alberta 63-29 last night. However, the stat that really jumps out is that the Zags collected 30 - that's right - 30 offensive rebounds:

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2009-2010/exhib.html

Look, I don't care who the opponent is, but when you collect 30 offensive boards, that's a sign that you're getting after it. By comparison, Kentucky had 13 offensive boards last night in their win over Campbellsville, and Florida had 12 offensive boards last night in their win over Saint Leo.

It appears as though this year's group is probably not going to be a good 3 point shooting team. The Zags only shot 3-19 from behind the arc. The Zags really need Steven Gray is regain his shot. He only went 1-6 from behind the arc last night.

Speaking of Steven, he better pick it up, because Manny Arop clearly wants his PT. It's amazing to think that Manny had 12 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals in just 21 minutes of play. My worry with Arop, though, is his propensity for picking up fouls. He had foul problems at FIBA at times, and he had 3 fouls in last night's game.

I have no idea how Few is going to workout a rotation with this group. These guys can all play.

MickMick
11-03-2009, 08:27 AM
So Manny fouls out and you put in Steven or Grant. Meanwhile, Manny's intensity has dictated a large portion of the game.

No worrys :)

hondo
11-03-2009, 08:31 AM
You got 5, use em.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Foul trouble is much less of a concern for a team that has a deep bench. You can afford to take more chances and play more aggressively, especially going for rebounds and on defense, if the guys on the bench can pick up the slack when starters get in fould trouble.

It sounds like this team will have the size, depth, and athleticism to play a very aggressive, physical style of play. That wears opponents down and helps put other teams into foul trouble.

I can see this team winning a lot of slugfests in the second half when the other team's starting five simply runs out of gas from having to run with our guards and wings and bang with our post players.

I can't wait.

BobZag
11-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Most of us have followed and watched Mangisto play in international competitions, but I didn't realize just how long his arms are (combined with good timing) until last night. He just reaches way up and snags boards in the middle of trees.

Zagquette
11-03-2009, 09:30 AM
My worry with Arop, though, is his propensity for picking up fouls. He had foul problems at FIBA at times, and he had 3 fouls in last night's game.

We had another former zag with the same problem. But it is his hustle, energy, and nose for the ball that has allowed him to be the only recent zag grad to stick with an NBA team.

I am excited that we have a player with this type of skill set and gusto.

After all the great reviews, I am stoked to see it with my own eyes...

Peace

gamagin
11-03-2009, 09:37 AM
You got 5, use em.

I like it.

CDC84
11-03-2009, 09:53 AM
While Gonzaga may have a lot of depth, what happens if Arop proves himself to be one of the best players on the team? Then staying out of foul trouble becomes a big issue. It's just something he needs to work on if he wishes to play extended minutes. It's not that big of a deal. Ronny was the same way when he was an underclassmen. I can think of much worse weaknesses that a player can have.

NotoriousZ
11-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Steven Gray is going to score big this year. Threes, lay-ins, dunks, floaters, you name it--it's going in the basket. His assists and steals will be up from last year and he'll do his share on defense also. So all this Gray better look out talk is way off base IMO. Manny was very, very impressive, and I expect a lot of PT will be given to him, but Gray will start all year and keep his share of playing time. Mark it down.

zag67
11-03-2009, 10:51 AM
IMO, I think that the fouls will work themselves out. I hope that Manny, Kong, Steven, and Grant bust their tails and attack all over the court (counting Matt, you have over 20 fouls). Knowing who they have behind them should help in that area. But be aggresive. Also the same is true at the 4/5. You have Sacre, Foster, Poling, Kong and maybe Dower. That gives you 25 fouls at those two positions. And then over 10 at point with Meech and GJ. That means I hope to see us attack the boards and the defensive end with a vengance.

Reborn
11-03-2009, 11:55 AM
I agree that it's way too early to think Gray would not have a good season. But he has not shown much so far this year. I think it is not a good sign and I hope he can find himself soon, and get going. I also agree that if he does not snap out of it, and continue to lose his confidence, he might be in trouble. Arop is breathing down his neck AND SHOWING he wants to be on the court and DO something positive. Few will continue to support and encourage Steven for a long time, just as he did with PMAC and LG, but at some point players need to show that they CAN SCORE. We need points this year. BAD. We've lost a lot of points to graduation. Steven's role is to produce points, and lots of them. If he is unable to do this consistently, I honestly believe his minutes will begin to dwindle, just as they did for PMAC. I have been a 100% believer in Gray, but something seems wrong with him. There seems to be a lack of intensity, and I don't care if it's a practice game, if he isn't playing with 100% energy and intensity then, imo something is wrong. The game of basketball is played on the floor, at gametime. It's the battlefield. You need to produce while out there. And at some point you need to produce consistently. Steven will probably start all year, but he will certainly lose minutes if Arop begins to produce more. It's just the way it is, folks. It's a highly competive way of life. The players know that. Maybe the best thing for Steven is to have Manny breathing down his neck. He'll either respond or he won't.

Nevtelen
11-03-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm a little nervous that Gray has tended to play according to how he starts the season - last year, he couldn't find the net for a while and continued (overall - there were high points) to have a fairly weak season. In his freshman year, I remember him starting off shooting very well and continuing in that vein. Can he turn it around this year? I hope so, but remain unconvinced. I think Arop will be taking his PT sooner rather than later.

MickMick
11-03-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm not going to associate missed shots with lack of effort.

My concern with Steven last season was that he would pass on open shots. If he is taking the shots when he is open, then he is doing his job. If his FG% was the same as in his freshman season last night, he would have been one of the stars of the game. He is too good of a shooter to lose his mojo in an exhibition game.

How quickly we forget that it was Gray's perimeter shooting that put the Zags in a comfortable lead over Davidson until Curry blew up (Curry didn't stop "blowing up" with Georgetown, Wisconsin, or eventual champ Kansas either).