• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

What are your observations?

I only listened to the game on radio, but I do like the analysis by Fox and play by play by Hudson, and their intereactions.

Sounded like a lot of turnovers initially, but the guys settled down. It sounded like everyone played well. Matt stood out of course, and so did Sacre. But of the new players Arop sounded the best. He got a lot of praise by Fox especially for his defense and rebounding. I think he had 10 or 11. He also took very good shots and mostly played as a team member looking for others on offense. But he may have had 10+ which would give him a double double. I can hardly wait to see him play. Olynyk seemed to impress me as did Dower, and Andy too. I think we are stronger down low then I thought, but Alberta may have been short. We just killed them on the boards. Harris seemed to be a beast on the boards too.

Meech did not impress me but I had no visual. Neither did Gray. Gray is really worrying me. 2-9 in first half. Arop really sounds more impressive. GJ impressed me more than Meech. Announcers said he was passing into the post brilliantly. I will say one thing. The Freshmen are as good as I thought they would be. This is one heck of a 2nd team. When subs were in we didn't miss a beat, and some times it sounded like they played better. More hustle I think. Arop seemed to be all over the place. I think he really wants to play. I'm so excited for him.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • kylasdad
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

I totally disagree about Steven. I was excited to see him shoot it every time he was open...so was Few. He patted him on the chest saying good job both times I watched him come out. He is a great shooter and will find his rhythm.

Arop and Harris are going to be awesome.

Man did we miss Sacre last year.

I liked how hard everybody played. Very scrappy as a whole.

Comment

• ZagNative
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I loved what Sacre brought to this game! Arop too.

That was a fun evening, just watching at home on Q-6, but before that, I had butterflies all day, followed by two hours listening to pre-game radio. I'm tuckered!

Comment

• roxdoc
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Sacre showed everything that I had hoped and prayed to come from him this year....and MORE!. Of all the interesting play by our very talented bunch tonight I was most heartened by how Sacre looked.

Comment

• hockeyzag
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Jul 2007

Box Score?? Anybody got a Box Score??
          "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
          -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

• Ezag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I am not writing off Steven Gray by a long shot but he seemed a bit hesitant and non-aggressive compared to the newbies tonight. But the veterans all seemed to take a backseat to the newbies. Even Bouldin, who was fantastic looked like he could have scored 40 if he wanted to but let the other guys play and score.

I think it is there way of letting the new guys get a feel and comfort playing in the MAC in front of 6K fans,

Comment

• seasontixholder
              Banned
              • Nov 2007

1. The newcomers are passionate. The are not like the offensively skilled but robotic technicians (by comparison) that the team had last year. Arop, GJ, Olynyk, Dower all gamers. Huge strides were made in a few weeks. Adjustment to the speed of the game was accomplished in the case of the two bigger guys.

2. Arop's name is "Man."

3. Dower and Olynyk should play this year.

4. Gray played with more enthusiam, but he needs more drive-and-kickout plays designed for him. His 3 point shot with any kind of movement suffers.

5. Bouldin is a senior and it shows.

6. Achilles heel at the moment is shooting percentage.

7. Sacre must stay healthy. The rest of the taller guys are physically immature.

8. Harris is an unbelievable physical presence. Finishing needs work.

9. The hustle on defense was encouraging. However, once somebody broke past a defender, things got a little ugly. On ball defenders need to back off just a hair. Once the zone is introduced, things could get fun.

10. The press will be very disruptive when Arop, Harris, or GJ are in the mix with Sacre, Bouldin, Gray or Meech.

11. Andy still needs more bulk. Grant is a serviceable D-1 player but his physical skills are surpassed by several newcomers.

12. Bol Kong had better bring fantastic offensive skills it if he expects to outdo the hustlers.

Comment

• omahazag
                Kennel Club Material
                • Feb 2007

thanks for the post-game reviews...keep em' coming

Comment

• bigblahla
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seasontixholder View Post
                  Grant is a serviceable D-1 player but his physical skills are surpassed by several newcomers.
                  Add what's between his ears and the fact he is big and plays physical and I think Grant will earn his PT.

Just my opinion.

Go !! Zags!!!
                  "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• willandi
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

There is a serious need to work on free throws!!! Especially all the bigs, and anybody that drives the lane or shoots from the outside.
                    I thought the team looked great, but way too many bricks at the line.
                    Personally, I would like to have been able to tell Foster "Keep up the good effort. In, fact ...DO IT MORE!!!
                    It looked like after he tried to pass under the basket for a turnover, then, at the other end, had a rebound go off his hands that he deflated some. DON"T!!! Attack the basket, and keep your hands up. I loved the block from behind, the way the guy on the wing had to change his shot so much it was an airball. Loved the switching help out front, and the hustle to get back in position under the hoop. Great picks for the wings. Keep doing that and they'll start to hit you when you roll to the hoop. ( Called the Pick and roll). KEEP IT UP. It will be good.
                    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Reborn
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

I'm glad Few was pleased, and maybe even a bit excited. It seems like most of the guys played good games and they may appear pretty even, but this will not be one of our tougher games. As the games get tougher, things will get sorted out. They will learn much more this Saturday in the scrimmage against Texas. And then again in Maui. No matter what, they are young and have a lot to learn, and we have a great schedule of games that will help us learn each week. I get the feeling that these guys really want to have a good year, and I really like what Arop says about accepting their roles and doing their job (as assigned by Few). He seems to have a lot of humililty. I can hardly wait to see him play. He seems to play with a lot of intensity. Did he remind any of you like E. Knight? If not who? Sacre appeared to also play with a lot of intensity and hustled all over the place.
                      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Baldwinzag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

A small, but encouraging observation was how physically fit the team appeared. I know we don't have the biggest, thickest guys out there(no DeJuan Blairs), but the new-comers seem strong and have tremendous frames to develop muscle and strength--and seem motivated to do so. Players such as Arop, Dower, Harris, Olynyk, etc look like they've already spent some time in the gym this season and still have a ton of room to add muscle. They are going to look and play like beasts when its all said and done.

No matter the outcome of W's & L's, this season is gonna be fun. I can't remember a year we've had so little expectations heading into a season. Every little stride and accomplishment this team makes will be a reason to celebrate and get excited about. I have a feeling every WIN in the WCC will be exciting, unlike the past 10 years. That is awesome. We'll root for the young guys to hustle and just seeing them be competitive or play with heart will be enjoyable. I can't wait. I'm nervous for the team, but excited to watch how hard they'll play and how much they are buying into the "team" concept. Just listen to every interview by Arop, Olynyk, G.J., etc. They all are talking about playing within their roles and having teammates count on them. Its a great thing to hear and something we've been missing for a couple seasons.

Go Zags!!
                        “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• Baldwinzag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                          ....I really like what Arop says about accepting their roles and doing their job (as assigned by Few). He seems to have a lot of humililty. I can hardly wait to see him play. He seems to play with a lot of intensity. Did he remind any of you like E. Knight? If not who?
                          Nice post Reborn.

E. Knight wouldn't be an accurate comparison for Arop, considering they're very different players on the court. If anyone on this team resembles E. Knight's "style" or "mojo" on the court, it'd be Elias. Harris is more refined offensively, but the way he floats around the frontcourt, plays defense, natural strength, and athleticism would be more comparable to E. Knight.

Arop, on the otherhand, reminds me of Larry Gurganious with a jump shot and an all-around offensive game. Scary combination for future opponents, IMO. Arop is definitely more efficient on offensive end and seems to understand the game better(higher bball IQ) than LG ever exhibited. I think its a solid comparison for Manny, especially since Arop is similar in height, rebounds with the intensity, and is a solid defender on the ball defender, just like Larry.

Try to imagine LG as a triple-scoring threat and you'll see what I'm referring to...
                          Last edited by Baldwinzag; 11-03-2009, 07:30 AM.
                          “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• Zagpower
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Feb 2007

In Steven's defense, he had several shots that went part way down and popped back out. Just one of those nights for him.

Comment

• seasontixholder
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2007

Arop has a motor that has to be seen in person in order to appreciate. Almost unique. NEVER takes a play off. He will spur his teammates, and will flat wear out opposing players.

Comment

Working...
                              X