PDA

View Full Version : Goodson's jumpshot

jscrk
11-02-2009, 07:48 PM
CDC 84: Last year you had a post describing Meech's jump shot; in that post you described how the ball came off of his hand in an unothodox manner and that Meech would need to work diligently over the summer to improve his shot. Upon watching Goodson shoot tonight, do you see any imrovement fundamentally in his shot.

Hogan
11-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Well,I am not CDC but yours was a great question so I will offer what I can.By way of background I am something of a basketball junkie.I've played a lot and still play now.My son played AAU and high level high school ball(4A-in state play-offs 2 years)We got a local coach to work with him on his shooting form and I've been kind of a follower and student of b-ball shooting ever since.During warm-ups for the game I really focused on Meech and his shooting.I was blown away.His form was significantly different and much improved.I watched him swish-nothing but net 6 threes in a row during warm-ups.Very impressive.It is important to recognize how very difficult it is to change your shooting form when you have been playing basketball as long as someone like Meech has.This kid must have worked his tail off in a very structured way this off-season.We still have to wait and see if it will translate into games,but from seeing him shoot and the excellent form he now has,I believe it will.

seasontixholder
11-03-2009, 01:31 PM
I watched Meech in warmups too. He drained three 3s from the left corner while relaxed.

During the game, he seemed to elevate a little more and didn't duplicate his motion that he repeated during warmups. Great outside shooters - like golfers - are able to match their stroke while excited or under pressure. Meech has done the work, now he just has to trust and believe it during game situations, and not put extra mustard or drift laterally. Same goes for Steven. His warmup shot was gold, when wide open and not trying to do too much.

BobZag
11-03-2009, 02:17 PM
CDC is outside of KHQ range so he did not see the game.