PDA

View Full Version : Arop is a rebounding machine!

MickMick
11-02-2009, 06:41 PM
This will be the best rebounding Zag team since the days of Turiaf.

MDABE80
11-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Arop doesn't play anything like a freshman. He's got 3rd year skills.

cggonzaga
11-02-2009, 06:54 PM
So does Dower, Harris and Poling. I agree this will be our best rebounding team in a long time.

MDABE80
11-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Matt's key. The new kids look a lot more seasoned than I expected. Andy looks great. Harris is a "world stage" type of kid. Yep...Few's got his work cut out for him:) Whatta problem!! Who would want it???

zag67
11-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I agree on the rebounding. 8 players had four or more rebounds. That means there probably was also some good boxing out for the rebound and everyone was crashing the boards. Manny looked like he is something else, but I think that front line is going to also hold their own. Also for the good there was 12 assists and 12 steals, and on the other side there was 12 turnovers (but 7 were in the first 10 minutes).

gamagin
11-02-2009, 07:15 PM
nice balance, hustle, shooting. i was most impressed this night with olynyk (sp?). He played like he'd been there a season or two.

Coach and team have alot of talent to corral and keep together come stiffer competition.

for the caliber of the competition, I would have liked alot more drives and putbacks and king of the mountain "activity" nearer the net from our biggest bigs.

against meaner, more savvy players and teams, there going to need it, imo.

otherwise, it was a fun night. and the KC, cheerleaders & bomb squad looks good for an opener, too.

Go Team Zags !

JPtheBeasta
11-02-2009, 08:58 PM
We'll have a pretty good guage of our team rebounding after the Michigan St game. They get after it. If we hold our own there I think we'll be in good shape.
It's great to hear all of the good reports coming out of this game. People seemed a little down after Kraziness but are much more positive after tonight. Our own guys are better competition than the Pandas so I'm taking this with a grain of salt, but I'm excited by all of the depth and athleticism we appear to have down low this year.

ZagsGoZags
11-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Because we had 10 kids w/out D1 experience, and a complex system to learn, and lots of frosh, I expected lots of mis-queus (sp), missed passes, miscommunications, turnovers, etc. Normal freshman stuff.

My biggest impression was there was much less of this than I would have imagined. We actually looked somewhat smooth much of the time I thought.

This is very exciting. Lots of talent, and i don't get the feeling anybody is going to be disputing Few, or not playing the prescribed role given him. These guys are seeming to gell under Few already in my opinion.

Angelo Roncalli
11-03-2009, 07:14 AM
How did bol kong play in this game? Didint hear much about him

DNP. Ankle injury.

CanadianZagFan
11-03-2009, 07:29 AM
How did bol kong play in this game? Didint hear much about him

I mentioned it in an older post, but I will say it again. Arop will contribute more than Kong will at this level. Is he a better pro prospect, that is up for debate, but I feel Arop will be a stat stuffer and do everything type of player for Gonzaga and have a solid impact on the team.

Baldwinzag
11-03-2009, 07:36 AM
I mentioned it in an older post, but I will say it again. Arop will contribute more than Kong will at this level. Is he a better pro prospect, that is up for debate, but I feel Arop will be a stat stuffer and do everything type of player for Gonzaga and have a solid impact on the team.

Agreed CZF. I made a similar post discussing this topic back in June/July:

After viewing 2/3 of the Bol's games, I must say he is as good as advertised in many areas of the game and flashes a ton of potential as a tremendous guard/forward at the next level. Bol actually exhibited much better fundamentals and perimeter shot than I expected from him. He definitely has the ability to be another 3pt threat on this team along with Gray, Bouldin, Gibbs, et al. I am impressed by his natural athleticism, outside shot, slashing ability, and length. I anticipate Bol developing into an outstanding SF while at GU.

BUT.....

Call me crazy, yet Bol doesn't look quite as polished as Manny Arop to me. I recall many saying on this board Bol was a taller and better version of Manny. From what I saw in the film, was Bol doesn't have nor display Manny's natural feel, court vision, man-to-man defense, or quickness on the court. To be honest, if I were a bball scout, I'd be drooling over both of these players' potential; however, I'd rate Manny higher as a future prospect, IMO.

Also, while Bol is an excellent player, he has a tendency to take plays off and rely too much on his natural ability. Bol doesn't seem to hustle much, but its not really his fault since it isn't required against the competition he's facing. He's far better than his opponents. I can't recall one screen Bol attempted to fight through on defense or for offensive boards. He displayed great instincts on the defensive side, but if any player(big or small) tried to screen Bol, he lost his defender almost everytime. Thankfully, these "areas of improvement" are all very coachable and I'm certain Coach Few will correct the slight laziness Bol plays with on defense and offense. If anyone else on his team took a shot, he just would stare at the basket and never went for the board.

This is all fixable and Bol will not see PT @ GU until he willingly goes for rebounds, fights through screens, and hustles down the court. Again, I loved what I saw from him, but he has a lot of work to do to be a major contributor by next season. I think he just need organized basketball and solid coaching. Considering the talent Bol has, I'm willing to lower expectations and be patient for his game to come together.

BRAY88
11-03-2009, 07:55 AM
great analysis of bols game, he didnt see much high level competition in the CCAA in canada, so the more he plays around guys who are better than him the more he will improve. Bol was so used to being the best player and now he has to work that much harder to keep pace with this level of basketball. I hope to see bol succeed and become a leader on this gonzaga team and im sure with fews coaching and hard paractices bol will definitly improve and become a better player. Also being from alberta im glad to see the bears playing against some high level competition in the zags and it will be interesting to se how they progress this season under new head coach and current canadian under 19 team coach francis. I also heard with SFU going to NCAA DIV 2, Alberta might be the next CIS team to compete in the NCAA, so I will keep my ears open.