PDA

View Full Version : The Offense

zagfan24
11-02-2009, 09:03 AM
BZ mentioned in another thread that Few is implementing the Zags offensive schemes slowly, and also noted that some of the new guys are having more trouble picking it up than expected. A few questions...

1) How similar are the offensive sets used in Germany, Canada, etc. to those run in American high schools and colleges? We ran a much simplified version of the Gonzaga flex in HS...wasn't sure if this was universal or if one downside of the international influence will be a steeper learning curve.

2) Aside from the base offense, what variations will be successful this year and how can the Zags capitalize on specific strengths of our roster (depth at the 2/3, experienced guard play, post athleticism, etc.)?

3) What are people expecting from the GU offense dynamic in terms of tempo? I know it will be dependent on the game and opponent, but with Meech and GJ running the show will we be more up tempo this year? Or, with less experience, do we need to establish a half-court offense to keep things settled and minimize turnovers?

Can't wait for the season to get underway tonight...Go Zags!

Nevtelen
11-02-2009, 09:35 AM
BZ mentioned in another thread that Few is implementing the Zags offensive schemes slowly, and also noted that some of the new guys are having more trouble picking it up than expected. A few questions...

1) How similar are the offensive sets used in Germany, Canada, etc. to those run in American high schools and colleges? We ran a much simplified version of the Gonzaga flex in HS...wasn't sure if this was universal or if one downside of the international influence will be a steeper learning curve.

2) Aside from the base offense, what variations will be successful this year and how can the Zags capitalize on specific strengths of our roster (depth at the 2/3, experienced guard play, post athleticism, etc.)?

3) What are people expecting from the GU offense dynamic in terms of tempo? I know it will be dependent on the game and opponent, but with Meech and GJ running the show will we be more up tempo this year? Or, with less experience, do we need to establish a half-court offense to keep things settled and minimize turnovers?

Can't wait for the season to get underway tonight...Go Zags!

As for #3, I'd guess that if the offense isn't fully there, it's easier to manufacture points on speed and athleticism and we'll see a lot of running, up-tempo stuff, especially considering the amount of speed and athleticism that's on the roster. I'd imagine the half-court offense will get installed last and will probably sputter at times, even vs Alberta, due to guys not knowing what to do, turn-overs, etc.

BobZag
11-02-2009, 09:55 AM
I'd expect the Zags to "grab and go" and run hard through the Maui games, then start running more and more halfcourt sets following Maui. That's how Few did it in 2006-07 after GU lost Ammo, Batista, Knight, etc.

It's complicated to explain but in Gonzaga's system there are so many options for every play. To simplify, think of the old veer offense in football; the QB must read what the linemen, linebackers, defensive ends and DBs are doing before he can properly decide to hand off to his fullback, keep it, pitch out or drop back to pass. Oregon's offense reminds me of this today. Now, multiply that by about five and that's Few's system. I remember Josh Reisman telling me how relieved he was that he was practicing as a 2 guard, that the PG position was too hard for him. But, like Oregon football now, when it works it's a beautiful, unstoppable thing to watch; when it's not working it can also be ugly. Execution is key.

cjm720
11-02-2009, 11:15 AM
I want the high screen and roll back for Christmas :)

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
11-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Confidence and cohesiveness. Those are the issues that'll plague a young group trying to learn a complicated new offense. One guy being out of place will make every guy without confidence in knowing the offense think that they might be out of place, right or wrong. There's four guys who know the offense, and I think it's safe to throw Harris out there to do the nitty gritty work.

I would also think that Poling and Gibbs know alot of it since they were at practice all of last year as redshirts.