PDA

View Full Version : Great Practice Games in History

75Zag
11-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Lots of you are excited about the practice game against Alberta on Monday. Thinking back in history, what were some of the most enjoyable practice games for GU?

My personal favorite in recent history was the showdown between GU and the world famous "Brewster Packing" team in 2001. For those of you not from North Central Washington, Brewster is a great little town on the Columbia River. Pendo played on the Brewster Bears I think, and I have wondered if the practice game between Brewster Packing and GU may have somehow indirectly influenced Pendo to come to GU several years later.

Anybody know why they called it Brewster Packing, and what was the connection between Brewster and the "Packing" team?

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/110301aaa.html

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Angelo Roncalli
11-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Lots of you are excited about the practice game against Alberta on Monday. Thinking back in history, what were some of the most enjoyable practice games for GU?

My personal favorite in recent history was the showdown between GU and the world famous "Brewster Packing" team in 2001. For those of you not from North Central Washington, Brewster is a great little town on the Columbia River. Pendo played on the Brewster Bears I think, and I have wondered if the practice game between Brewster Packing and GU may have somehow indirectly influenced Pendo to come to GU several years later.

Anybody know why they called it Brewster Packing, and what was the connection between Brewster and the "Packing" team?

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/110301aaa.html

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Brewster Packing was a men's senior AAU team that featured a number of local college MBB alums. "Brewster Packing" was a large apple storage and packing facility--I believe that the Pariseau and Gebbers families operated Brewster Packing and were involved in the sponsorship of the AAU team.

seasontixholder
11-01-2009, 01:41 PM
11-4-2000. There was some apprehension going in among the regular fans, wondering whether the 2-year "run" was over. After watching the blend of new and old Zags dismantle a good Yakima CBA team populated by recognizable college players, I told my seatmate that it was good for another two at least. The Zags played like veterans all, and rained 3s. I hope Monday leaves a similar feeling.

sittingon50
11-01-2009, 02:43 PM
That game you mention, season, was Blake Stepps debut. He dropped in 19, in the 1st half, as I recall.

ZagNative
11-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Fun read, but I hope the preparation in this year's Alberta and Mississippi Valley State games have a better effect than the matchups with Brewster Packing and the Delta Jammers did for the Illinois away game.
Gonzaga will return to action Thursday to face the Delta Jammers in a 7 p.m. exhibition contest in The Kennel. The Bulldogs are preparing for their Nov. 16 regular-season opener at the University of Illinois, ranked second in the country in the USA TODAY/ESPN pre-season Top 25.

GoZags recap on the Illinois game 11/16/2001 (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/111601aab.html)

PHXzag
11-01-2009, 02:49 PM
I think it was my freshman year (2003) when they played the Northwest All-stars lead by Ihlo. I can't remember who else was on the team, but I thought there were some other fun names on the list

fedwayzag
11-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Angelo is right on the money as usual about Brewster packing. I am from a small town near Brewster. They also had a senior men's team tournement for a few years. David Robinson, Craig Ehlo among others played it in.

montanazag88
11-02-2009, 09:38 AM
It appears Alberta had quite a successful coach for many years until his retirement. I am unfamiliar with the player names, but maybe some Northern folk can shed light on this team...

http://www.bears.ualberta.ca/Basketball/Men/index.cfm?pt=news&ID=3765

montanazag88
11-02-2009, 09:41 AM
I found reborn's thread.