PDA

View Full Version : The intercontinental Elias Harris watch thread

uhg80
10-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Hey Zags!

If I understood correctly, your season starts on monday. So I decided to create this thread as a comfortable way for us German fans to follow Elias' progession at Gonzaga or ask an occasional question about NCAA schedules and regulations. Please post your pictures, stats, stories and personal impressions on Elias here, so we here on the other side of the Atlantic are able to follow Harris' development in what hopefully will become a successful season for him and your team.

Best regards from Germany and Go Zags,
uhg80.

outrunu
10-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Just FYI, Monday is an exhibition game, more of a regulated scrimmage if you will. The season officially kicks off on 14 Nov, and if you have access to ESPN, you should be able to watch him play on 17 NOV vs. Michigan State, as that is a nationally televised game. We are a passionate group of fans, so I'm sure you will get many updates (Good and Bad, we pull no punches).

Welcome to the board.

uhg80
10-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks for your answers. So it's your preseason that kicks off on monday. Should be enough for some early impressions ;)

The ESPN broadcast...that's a bit tricky since there is a difference of 9(?) hours between Pacific Time and Central European Time.

MickMick
10-31-2009, 04:26 PM
I would like to add that many of us watched Mr. Harris in an intersquad scrimmage and the general consensus was that he will immediately be a major contributer to the team.

I personally think that he is going to be one of the best players to ever put on a Zag uniform.

ID ZAGFAN
10-31-2009, 04:29 PM
The game is being played in Michigan, so the game will be on Central Standard time, 2 hours later than Pacific Time. The US switches from Daylight Savings to Standard time early tomorrow morning. Don't know if you have some version of Daylight Savings time--I know in the UK it is called British Summer time, but you should check what the time difference are tomorrow. Or maybe you could tape the games? :) My nephew who is a student at Bedford University in England tapes NBA games all the time.

ZagNative
10-31-2009, 05:50 PM
Welcome back, uhg80.

Official Schedule: In case it's any help to you in following Elias' games, Here is a link to the team's official schedule site (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/gonz-m-baskbl-sched.html). TV information is on the righthand side. The righthand side also will show if gametracker is available for stat tracking during games.

Time converter world clock: When I was following Elias' games this past summer, I used this program (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?month=11&day=17&year=2009&hour=17&min=0&sec=0&p1=234&p2=37). Just change the times for the individual games, keeping in mind Gonzaga is Pacific Time Zone, same as Seattle.

Game threads: We always have individual game threads on the game thread forum on guboards here (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19).

Gonzaga's Home Page on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/clubhouse?teamId=2250): You can find stats, the roster, schedule, and results and box scores here as well, as well as some great photos after the games. (Keep in mind that game times on ESPN.com are Eastern time, which is three hours before Pacific Time.)

Hope that helps! I can't wait!

LynetteG
10-31-2009, 08:47 PM
The game is being played in Michigan, so the game will be on Central Standard time, 2 hours later than Pacific Time.

Sorry, not correct. As a life-long (until 6 years ago) and born Michigander I can assure you that Michigan is in the Eastern Time Zone, or 3 hours ahead of Pacific.

ID ZAGFAN
10-31-2009, 08:55 PM
I keep thinking Michigan is in the same time zone as Iowa, where my husband's family is. :(

But that make sit even better for folks in Germany!

LynetteG
10-31-2009, 08:57 PM
No harm no foul. You are likely mixing up Illinois/Chicago, Central Time Zone there.

zag67
10-31-2009, 09:07 PM
I thought that the Alberta game was on tracker. When I looked at the schedule I thought it was. Was I wrong?

outrunu
10-31-2009, 09:18 PM
I thought that the Alberta game was on tracker. When I looked at the schedule I thought it was. Was I wrong?

Is everyone absolutely sure that FSN isn't picking it up???????

I'm selfishly hoping they do.

ZagNative
10-31-2009, 09:42 PM
I thought that the Alberta game was on tracker. When I looked at the schedule I thought it was. Was I wrong?No, you weren't wrong - I was. I'll edit my post. Swear when I looked at the schedule just before my post, gametracker didn't show for the Alberta game, but now it does! Thanks for making me check again so I can correct my post before anyone else is misled!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/smiley_emoticons_danke_ATDE.gif

As far as the time difference is concerned, isn't life it simplest if you rely on the schedule on Gonzaga's website (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/gonz-m-baskbl-sched.html), which will always show games Pacific time, and Germany time will always be nine hours ahead of Pacific time. so, for example, for the Michigan State game, which broadcasts at 5:00 pm Pacific time November 17, it will already be 2:00 am November 18 Germany time.

Birddog
11-01-2009, 05:10 AM
Elias Harris
http://ec-images.acehardwareoutlet.com/225/products/5368840_05-17-2007-I_TK.jpg
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/16/81/1c/irish-national-stud.jpg
http://www.savvy-clearance.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/diamond-stud-sale.jpg
JMO Mark it down. Silky smooth too.

Nevtelen
11-01-2009, 07:38 AM
So... you're saying Elias is bored in the country and is about to get engaged... and silky smooth?! Wow - who knew! Great scoop Birddog!

German
11-01-2009, 11:30 AM
the problem is, that we can't receive ESPN here in Germany..
the only way is, to watch it on a stream, perhaps you know a good one, or somebody, can record the game, and will put it on rapidshare, that would be fantastic!

webspinnre
11-01-2009, 09:00 PM
No harm no foul. You are likely mixing up Illinois/Chicago, Central Time Zone there.

Or the Upper Peninsula, where my grandparents live. They're also Central.

MaroonZag22
11-01-2009, 09:18 PM
that this thread receive a sticky so we will be better able to access it and keep our new friends and fellow Zag fans in Germany up to date on both Elias' and the Zags progress through the season. Just an idea! Also, welcome to all of our new fans from across the Atlantic. We hope you enjoy this season as much as we all will! :D

HKeks
11-01-2009, 09:29 PM
the problem is, that we can't receive ESPN here in Germany..
the only way is, to watch it on a stream, perhaps you know a good one, or somebody, can record the game, and will put it on rapidshare, that would be fantastic!

Same problem here. Would be very nice, to find a solution for watching the Zags and Elias here.
I hope Elias can improve and help the Zags to some great results this season. And I hope, as everybody predicts him a carier as a SF, that he will have some options to improve his abilities in this direction. I often saw him in Speyer playing more as a PF, but I assume that this will not be his final position...

Greetings from Speyer, Germany

Markus

ZagNative
11-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Welcome, HKeks!

For video of games, consider subscribing to Paulktran's Channel on YouTube here at this link (http://www.youtube.com/user/paulktran). Last year he uploaded many complete games to Youtube, mostly in 9-part pieces, so Gonzaga fans all over the world were able to view the games. He's surprisingly quick in getting the games uploaded. He also does a great job on highlight summaries.

KREM 2 TV (http://www.krem.com/sports/basketball) had a great interview with Elias on their website after the scrimmage on October 24, but it has unfortunately disappeared. Check their link the day after games, and they may have video interviews and reports.

This is a screen shot I took of Elias during the KREM 2 interview:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Harris/2009-10-24EliasHarrisKrazinessi.jpg

I was amazed at how fluent and comfortable he was with English, and impressed by how well-spoken he is for a young man. He understands subtle nuances in the local language, and gets a joke quickly and jokes back.

He will be a big favorite here, not just because of how well he plays, but because he is charming, smart, and poised.

Here is some commentary from a local newspaper story about the scrimmage, from Jim Meehan, who writes a blog for the Spokesman-Review (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/oct/24/fans-fill-mac-watch-zags-debut/):
Freshman forward Elias Harris on Saturday night became a big fan of Gonzaga’s crowd.

“Blew me away completely,” the German native said of a standing-room-only gathering of 6,000-plus that filled the McCarthey Athletic Center to watch the GU men’s basketball team scrimmage as part of Kraziness in the Kennel festivities. “I didn’t think so many people would show up just for a scrimmage. In Europe that’s not normal. It’s amazing, a great feeling, great fans and a great atmosphere.”

The sight of so many Bulldogs fans, hundreds standing two- and three-deep in the upper concourse, underscored their interest and curiosity levels in the 2009-2010 team, which has nine freshmen and essentially 10 newcomers.
The 6-foot-7, 215-pound Harris had a solid debut. He scored 14 points, finishing off two dunks on nifty passes from senior guard Matt Bouldin. ...

“We see (Harris’s) athleticism every day at practice,” said Bouldin, who scored 14 points. “But it’s different getting out and playing with him. You start to get the hang of each other in practice and it was nice for him to showcase a little of what he can do.”

kitzbuel
11-02-2009, 02:02 AM
An option for ESPN televised games is ESPN360: http://espn.go.com/broadband/espn360/index

They stream replays of almost all games broadcast on the ESPN network. I am not sure what the availability of the site is on various European ISPs, but it is worth checking out.

HKeks
11-02-2009, 02:34 AM
Thanks to you for these great informations. Youtube vids are often of a very bad quality and it is often hard even to identify a player. But at the paulktran channel the quality is not so bad...

I saw his interview and I can imagine, that he was impressed, because in the league he played before 500 spectators are allready a lot. I think as a good basketball player in germany you have to learn english fast, because in every better team there are many players from America or from eastern europe and the spoken language is often english.

Thanks fpr the warm welcomes ^^

Crazy
11-02-2009, 02:40 AM
i like to thanks also for this good compilation of imformation and good luck and lot of fun for the scrimmage tonight :)

germzag
11-02-2009, 03:56 AM
Get a slingbox. It is a program that you download on your computer and allows you to receive the same cable network as everyone in Spokane. That way you will be able to watch all the games whether ESPN, FOX, ABC, or the local channel KHQ, which is an NBC affiliate. This is what all the American athletes use when they go play basketball in Europe. Go to http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox
Von was ich gehoert habe wollen die Trainer Harris einen Star machen. Er hat ein gutes Intra-squad Spiel gehabt und er hat den groessten Buzz von allen neuen Spielern. Er wird in den ersten fuenf seien. Aber man kann nicht vergessen das das Spiel kans anders hier gespielt wird als in Germ und dass er wahrscheinleich noch Zeit braucht um sich daran zu gewoehnen. Das Spiel gegen Number 2 Michigan St. wird Spass machen anzuschauen und wir werden davon sehen wie schnell Harris sich hier an das amerikanische Spiel gewoehnt hat.

Reborn
11-02-2009, 06:16 AM
that this thread receive a sticky so we will be better able to access it and keep our new friends and fellow Zag fans in Germany up to date on both Elias' and the Zags progress through the season. Just an idea! Also, welcome to all of our new fans from across the Atlantic. We hope you enjoy this season as much as we all will! :D

I second this, accept I think it's a pin.

2011Zag
11-02-2009, 06:34 AM
Get a slingbox. It is a program that you download on your computer and allows you to receive the same cable network as everyone in Spokane. That way you will be able to watch all the games whether ESPN, FOX, ABC, or the local channel KHQ, which is an NBC affiliate. This is what all the American athletes use when they go play basketball in Europe. Go to http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox
Von was ich gehoert habe wollen die Trainer Harris einen Star machen. Er hat ein gutes Intra-squad Spiel gehabt und er hat den groessten Buzz von allen neuen Spielern. Er wird in den ersten fuenf seien. Aber man kann nicht vergessen das das Spiel kans anders hier gespielt wird als in Germ und dass er wahrscheinleich noch Zeit braucht um sich daran zu gewoehnen. Das Spiel gegen Number 2 Michigan St. wird Spass machen anzuschauen und wir werden davon sehen wie schnell Harris sich hier an das amerikanische Spiel gewoehnt hat.

To have a Slingbox you are required to have it hooked up to a cable box and television in the US and then it streams the pictures through the internet and onto your computer. Slingboxes also control that TV so if you change the channel on your computer it changes it on the TV. I'm currently studying in Italy and I am using a Slingbox that is connected to a TV at my house so I can watch all the games abroad.

GoZags
11-02-2009, 06:41 AM
BTW, I'm pretty impressed that our program has attracted an entirely new fanbase thanks to Elias (who I've never seen play -- except a couple of minutes of practice).

Something tells me he's going to be a good one.

And a belated welcome to some of our newer German members.

German
11-02-2009, 08:46 AM
to the slingbox..
i can't understand it at the moment..
Some of you wrote, that it's just an programm, we must download, but when i go to the homepage, it says, we must buy a receiver?..
and how is the quality, can I watch the whole US programm, and the NBA games etc?..

edit: I've read from another possibility, the AFN box, but i think only army members can have one.. but, if somebody here, is a army member, he can perhaps register it, and give it to some of us?..
would be an idea :)

Sarenyon
11-02-2009, 10:55 AM
German,
I know that any military members here in Germany would get in very, very big trouble for releasing an AFN box. So that option is no good.

Also, AFN will only cover most of the Zag games that are on ESPN or CBS, it will not have any Zag games that are broadcasted on FSN... so you would only get about 1/3rd of the games (if that) and then maybe less due to other scheduling conflicts. There are many, many games, and though the Zags have a bit of a military following, it is not enough to ensure that all ESPN games will be covered.

Best to watch via streaming. I know justintv carried many of the games last year. Don't have a link though.

ZagNative
11-02-2009, 01:29 PM
To our friends abroad who might want to follow the regular game thread for today's game, it's here, Link (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=473004#post473004), in the game thread forum.

LynetteG
11-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Or the Upper Peninsula, where my grandparents live. They're also Central.

Ah yes, west side of the UP, eh!

ZagNative
11-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Elias' stat line tonight:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Fullscreencapture112200983859PMbmp.jpg

High performers in the game:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2009-11-02LeadingScorersAlberta.jpg

Elias was in the starting lineup and is expected to be a starter for the season unless he proves otherwise. He looked good, but I was more drawn to other freshmen like Sam Dower, Kelly Olynyk, and Manny Arop, who hadn't received as much "buzz" since arriving on campus but performed well tonight.

MDABE80
11-02-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't remember seeing a freshman this polished in the past 10 years. Harris simply went out and acted like he belonged. Obviously talented and strong, he's got the confidence one usually gets playing on a world stage in important games as a steady diet. He's been through some adult wars and it showed. I do think Tommy snagged a jewel for the Zags. His pre-Zag press wasn't hype. He does fill the bill. Hard to know how far he'll go as this was his first game and not against tough D1 competition. Hope he continues to shine.

HKeks
11-03-2009, 02:01 AM
From what I could interpret from the play-to-play against Alberta it seems, that he started nervous, with his two turnovers in the first two minutes and missed shots in the beginning, but improved and made all of his points in his 5 minutes in the second half.

But also, if he has some weaker phases, I hope you will help him through. I'm glad when I read some of the posts in the forum, how great he is and what a gifted talent, but I'm also a bit concerned, cause there probably will be kickbacks and if he is hyped high he can fall deep.

I remember seeing Dirk playing in the second german Bundesliga in Speyer, when he was young, and from what I remember, he was not more dominant then Elias. But he was 2 years younger I think and at the age of Elias he allready dominated the first Bundesliga.

There are a lot of highly gifted kids out there and I hope Elias will make his way between them.

About the TV-stuff: I think we just have to wait for the regular season and then there seem to be some posibilities we can use. It will be fine.

I'm not really familar with the championship system, but from what I have read it's similar constructed like the NBA except for the strength of the teams. I'm looking forward to see the developement of the Zags in the championship. :)

German
11-03-2009, 04:18 AM
okay, the idea with the AFN box wasn't good.
I haven't thought about the problems, the people probably get..

.. to the slingbox.. i have read lots of articles about it now, but I'm not sure if I understand it :D:D

At the moment I think it works in that way:

In the US somebody gets an slingbox, and sends the signal per internet (high upload-speed necessary), then, we, can get this signal from the internet.. and then, do we need a slingbox, too? or do we watch at the PC?..

somebody an idea how it works? :)

to topic:
Yeah, i hope Elias will start the whole season, but i would rather see him more on the 3.. to develop his game there..
In his 18 minutes of playing time, he played what position?

Nevtelen
11-03-2009, 07:41 AM
As far as I understand it, after the slingbox is hooked up somewhere, you just need a program to get the signal. I've never used one, though, so I could be wrong.

As for Elias, I think he'll be great at GU. I wouldn't look for him to play the 3 this year, though. GU needs a 4 badly and is pretty stacked at the 3 in terms of PT. Plus, as of now (based on an admittedly very small sample of play) that's where Harris' talents seem to work the best. In the future, he very well might move to the 3, but I doubt we'll see it this season. JMO.

guniverse
11-03-2009, 08:06 AM
i have used the slingbox to watch many local games. what happens, is that you get a box and "connect" it to a local reciever at someone's house, say in spokane so you could have gotten last nights game. that cable box in spokane can either be controlled by the slingbox or overridden by the person in spokane when they change the channel, so the person must know not to change the channel during the game or you could be watching an episode of friends, this happened to me with my buddies sister who didnt know how the program worked. then you sign in to the box over a high speed connection and can watch it on your computer. if you have a chord that will plug into say an hd tv, you can watch it on that. the picture is close to what you would see if you were in spokane and as long as the connection is fast enough there is no lag or pausing the whole game. you could watch any television program that is offered by the spokane cable network affiliated with this particular slingbox. great for those who travel alot or know people in spokane but doesnt really help if you have no local cable box to align it with

hoopster777
11-03-2009, 09:07 AM
atdhe.net lists many sporting games across the globe including soccer games in the most random places (Russia, UAE, etc.)....the Zag games being broadcast on ESPN most likely will be streamed on this site (they are already streaming preseason Maryland and Oklahoma games tonight if anyone else is interested in watching our competition).

German
11-03-2009, 09:44 AM
yeah, i know lots of site with streams (i use them to watch the NBA games).. so i do know atdhe.net and myp2p.eu etc..
but the problem is the low quality, it's often lagging etc..

so a slingbox would be phenomenal..
if i understand it right, some of you, must have one in his house, and we in Germany could watch the whole US programm via internet...
that sounds great, but the problem is, I don't think anybody has one.
Or am I wrong?

ZagNative
11-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Photo of #20 going for a basket v. University of Alberta:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Harris/2009-11-02AlbertaEliasHarris.jpg

supafly03
11-06-2009, 03:52 AM
Huh, now finally some other Germans are following the Zags as well?
Great stuff. :D

BTW: We might also be lucky to catch a few Zags games on ESPN America. They'll show the one @ Michigan State on November 18th(3:00 p.m.) AsLive.

kitzbuel
11-06-2009, 04:35 AM
yeah, i know lots of site with streams (i use them to watch the NBA games).. so i do know atdhe.net and myp2p.eu etc..
but the problem is the low quality, it's often lagging etc..

so a slingbox would be phenomenal..
if i understand it right, some of you, must have one in his house, and we in Germany could watch the whole US programm via internet...
that sounds great, but the problem is, I don't think anybody has one.
Or am I wrong?

I think the other problem is that only one can view at a time. If someone else tries to view the stream it will bump the other viewer off.

GoZags
11-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Very, very impressive for Elias against some of the nation's best.

Today, 04:37 PM
BobZag
Juco Transfer Join Date: Jan 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

77-74.

At half Texas led 38-32. Sacre had 15. He was the best big, if not player, on the court. Zags came out focused in 2nd-half and scored 11 straight and was up 6 with just four minutes to go but, as mentioned, committed 6 straight turnovers and Texas capitalized. Zags fought back and it was back and forth, but had dug too big of a hole to climb out of and the Horns won. The staff learned Matt needs the ball more at the end of games.

Rob had 28 and 9.
Elias had 22 and 8, and looked incredible, had a putback jam that was SportsCenter stuff, he was more big-time athletic than Damion James.
Matt had 15 and 10 assists but his shot wasn't falling like usual.
Gray played well and had at atleast three treys.
Meech had ups and downs, and fouled out near the end (two phantom fouls).
Vilarino equaled Meech and played very, very well, a nice surprise.
Gibbs played a lot like Matt, did well today, made nice passes.
Manny played well but he wasn't stroking it well today.
Olynyk attacked the rim at first, played well.

Folks, Gonzaga should've won this. That's the word. Zags had Texas out of sorts and on their heels, but Texas buckled down and applied some tough defense at the end and the Zags' youth was exposed a bit, but GU still had this game won. Matt needed the ball way more at the end, if that had happened, we'd be chatting about how the guys won today.

Dower will redshirt.
Kong needs to drastically get tougher.

Avery Bradley had 0 in 1st-half, 10 in 2nd-half. James led Texas. Sacre was better than Pittman.

In summary, listen to Malastein. This team looked as good or better than last year's team. They played much more like a team. Fans should be thrilled about what happened in Denver today.

uhg80
11-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the update. 22 and 8 in his second game with his new team is big. Hopefully Elias can keep this level of play up over the season. His summer was really busy.

ZagNative
11-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Note that the team he was playing against was ranked #3 in the country.

Thanks for the update. 22 and 8 in his second game with his new team is big. Hopefully Elias can keep this level of play up over the season. His summer was really busy.

Stache
11-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Dear Germany:

Thank you for sending us EH. Harris is, IMO, the best "big man" we have seen since Ronny Turiaf. In the Alberta game, his shot didn't always fall, but he was aggressive in getting post position, in looking for his shot and in rebounding.

On offense, he heads toward the basket and doesn't "settle" for a fade away or tender jump hook. He attacks the basket on offense like one of the alltime favorite Zags - Casey Calvary. He is going to draw fouls rather than avoid contact. You can see his mentality: "I'm this close to the rim, so I may as well try to dunk it."

On the rebounding front, he has speed that is and will be superior to other power forwards. I watched him specifically against Alberta, and Harris has an engine that doesn't slow down. He is not satisfied to give up on rebound position. Other bigs who find themselves 6 - 8 feet out and standing behind the defender tend to concede the rebound. He spins, bull rushes, and out runs the defenseive player. His hunger for the ball was evident. He is obviously doing great against great competition based on reports from the Texas Scrimmage.

I know there will be growing pains, but I honestly believe that EH could the guy that this team will be built around in a year or two. If Sacre is in fact an offensive threat (Texas Scrimmage?!?!?!?), then EH will not get double teamed in the post and he could be a monster for years to come.

If you promise not to recall him to Germany for pro ball, then we promise to do everything possible to give him a final four experience in the States.

Thanks again for sharing!

MickMick
11-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Stache nailed it on his observations of Harris. Typical freshman just don't come in and play at his level. His basketball maturity is equivalent to a two year player.

My single favorite aspect of Harris is his no-nonsense approach. He is the opposite of what we Americans see depicted in an Under Armor commercial. No taunting. No crazy antics. No proclaiming whose "house" it is. His statements are made by his actions on the court. When he does speak, his interviews are direct, concise, and to the point. This young man is focused. He definitely isn't a kid. This is a grown man with all of the mental maturity that comes with it.

When a player's head is "in the game" like Harris, it is a real difference maker. Situational awareness is what separates the really great players from the rest. This seems to come naturally to focused players like Harris.

Gonzaga is extremely fortunate to have a man like Harris on campus. He is going to be another Zag legend.

Stache
11-08-2009, 11:51 AM
It's nice to see a kid make a great play and act like he's done before. I don't expect to see EH to complain to a ref or to expect a spot light for being a tremendous player. MickMick has it just right. This guy is going to be D. Simpson with a much larger upside.

German
11-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Oh my god, I really don't know what to say, after I read your posts..
You guys compare him with Turiaf, a solid NBA player, do you really think Elias can be drafted?..

Reborn
11-08-2009, 12:01 PM
I have read that Elias sees coming to play for Gonzaga as the best place for him to prepare for the NBA. I haven't seen him play yet, but from all I have read he has a chance to play in the NBA some day. It will take a lot of work to prepare, and if he does what he needs to do each year, I will say he has a good chance.

Crazy
11-09-2009, 01:41 AM
i think it is a long way for elias to the NBA, but from our young talents i think he had already a US style of play which could help him to reach the level ...

But i don't think he could made it as a PF with his size, i hoped if you build the team around like stache mention he got the chanche to play SF and learn to shot the ball fast and accurate.

Crazy
11-10-2009, 03:56 AM
if i read it correct harris was 22 Points and 8 or 9 rebounds against the scrimmage in Texas, who seems to have a strong and deep rooster this season.

So he seems to get a important factor of the Zag game.

Nevtelen
11-10-2009, 07:10 AM
if i read it correct harris was 22 Points and 8 or 9 rebounds against the scrimmage in Texas, who seems to have a strong and deep rooster this season.

So he seems to get a important factor of the Zag game.

Who knows for sure until we see the first game, but it seems pretty sure that he'll be a starter and a very significant factor for the team. If he and Sacre can both perform inside, it'll be as good of a frontcourt as the Zags have had in a very long time.

Crazy
11-11-2009, 02:05 AM
if you say he starts, you also talk about an important factor, right?

I didn't say that he is going to put on 20Pts/10Rebs all the time(and i don't think that he put such numbers), but such numbers show that he is "part" of the game and the teammates also look for him and he could take advantage of it.

Nevtelen
11-11-2009, 10:18 AM
if you say he starts, you also talk about an important factor, right?

I wouldn't say that for sure. Lots of teams have starters who are fine for their positions, but not a major factor on the team in terms of producing points or rebounds or assists. Gonzaga has certainly had those types of players at times over the years. But from all the information we have right now, it seems like Harris will be a starter and also be one of the more important players on the team. Personally, at best, I'm hoping for something around 10-12 points and 7 or 8 rebounds a game.

Crazy
11-12-2009, 12:55 PM
so we maybe had other definitions of important, for me is every player important who stand above the half of the game on court :)

I would maybe reduce the amount the rebounds a bit with the chanche of some extra points, but such numbers are wild guesses like always in the presaison.

ZagNative
11-14-2009, 05:33 AM
November 14, Elias starts tonight vs. Mississippi Valley State at home.

TV: http://www.justin.tv/phillyzag

Stat Tracking and Rosters: CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/scoreboard)

Jyz
11-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Harris is the sixth or maybe fifth most promising prospect on a long list of great german basketball talents this year. Lets see what he'll achieve through the season.

Yeah first post. Another german fan watching Zags ball. And if you find any errors in my pretty english, keep em! ;)

abarefootboy
11-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Ellias Harris ... wow. He has a wonderful presence on the court.

German
11-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Some questions :

Next game is on Tuesday at 8?
As I read, the opponent must be really good, so a win would be more than great?
Has somebody the chance to record it and upload it on youtube/rapidshare, because it's deep in the night in Germany when the game starts..

edit: looked at NCAA.com .. opponent is second seeded, so it would be more than great i think ;).let's look how Elias can perform..:)

kitzbuel
11-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Some questions :

Next game is on Tuesday at 8?
As I read, the opponent must be really good, so a win would be more than great?
Has somebody the chance to record it and upload it on youtube/rapidshare, because it's deep in the night in Germany when the game starts..

edit: looked at NCAA.com .. opponent is second seeded, so it would be more than great i think ;).let's look how Elias can perform..:)

Michigan State University lost to University of North Carolina in last year's national championship game. They have a lot of their key players back this year and will be very stern test for Gonzaga.

maynard g krebs
11-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Harris is the sixth or maybe fifth most promising prospect on a long list of great german basketball talents this year. Lets see what he'll achieve through the season.

Yeah first post. Another german fan watching Zags ball. And if you find any errors in my pretty english, keep em! ;)

So far your English is better than many Americans. Long ago in my wanderings in Mexico, I traveled with a German girl for a few weeks, and learned that you all start English classes in 4th grade. Still true? The biggest failing of the US ed. system, imo, is in teaching foreign languages, ar failing to do so early enough.

Crazy
11-16-2009, 02:36 PM
we start learning english in the 5th grade not the fourth, but some "Grundschule"(1-4th grade) offer basic english courses but they aren't always helpful because you learn it a bit simplified(grammar) and you had to learn the vocabular again when you get in the 5th grade who doesn't visit those optional courses.

ZagNative
11-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Michigan State's Coach, interviewed today, said,
They’ve got a heck of a kid from Germany named Harris.

"I think Harris brings a whole new dimension. At 6'8, he can score, he can shoot it, I think last night he was like 6 for 8 or 7 for 8 and a GREAT offensive rebounder,great offensive rebounder.

"Unbelievable offensive rebounder in the two games I’ve seen.Tom Izzo is a future Hall of Fame basketball coach, and MSU is a perenial power in college basketball.

I like this photo of Elias from the last game. Caption says he's taking the low road for a rebound:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Harris/Fullscreencapture11142009102519PMbm.jpg

East Lansing, Michigan, is almost 2,000 miles (3218 kilometers) away. Flying there from Spokane on commercial airlines would consume most of the day, but Gonzaga will fly on their own charter airplane, so the flight will be easier and shorter and the students won't have to miss so much class time traveling across country.

MSU's Breslin Center Arena seats 16,300 for basketball, quite a bit different than the 500 Elias talked about playing for in Germany. It should be a raucus atmosphere for our freshmen to face, but I have a feeling Elias will not be intimidated.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Other/2009-10%20Opponents/MichiganStatearenaatEastLansing.jpg

Edited to add: To our German friends, how would you translate Izzo's description of Elias as "a heck of a kid"? Is there anything similar in German slang?

asoc
11-16-2009, 11:49 PM
If you are looking for online streams for any game for any sport check these various websites.

http://www.justin.tv/
http://www.atdhe.net/
http://www.channelsurfing.net/
http://www.myp2p.eu/

Crazy
11-17-2009, 01:12 AM
@native: I failed with the translation, i know what heck is used for and it means something betwen insane and diabolic, right?
In this case maybe "Teufelskerl"(one to one translation devils man) fits best, but i think this is used more "insane" in german then heck of a boy in the states. When i hear it, i normally think on crazy pilots, who are damn skilled but when you watch 'em you also think that they didn't care their life ;)

The other words i thought about, are in my eyes to nice like "goldjunge"(i think your golden boy is pretty similiar to it), another option would be the use of the adjectiv "wahnsinnig" which means the same like your "insane" in positiv and the negativ way

kitzbuel
11-17-2009, 03:44 AM
@native: I failed with the translation, i know what heck is used for and it means something betwen insane and diabolic, right?
In this case maybe "Teufelskerl"(one to one translation devils man) fits best, but i think this is used more "insane" in german then heck of a boy in the states. When i hear it, i normally think on crazy pilots, who are damn skilled but when you watch 'em you also think that they didn't care their life ;)

The other words i thought about, are in my eyes to nice like "goldjunge"(i think your golden boy is pretty similiar to it), another option would be the use of the adjectiv "wahnsinnig" which means the same like your "insane" in positiv and the negativ way
Vielleicht eine bewundernswerte Jugend besser ist.

Crazy
11-17-2009, 04:19 AM
bewundernswerte Jugend it is really sweet, maybe something your grandmother would say and it is adressed to a whole generation so maybe it fits to your team with all the freshmen's.

German
11-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah man, tomorrow i have no school, so I think i can spent the night for watching Elias :)
It's starts at 8 p.m. ET ? (so it must be 2 a.m. for us here in Europe)
Do they start on time, or later like the NBA?
I'm not able to watch it at ESPN360 here in Europe, or am I ?
Has somebody already tested it?

I would translate the heck of a kid with außergewöhnlicher Junge, (something like extraordinary)

Damn, the arena of Michigan looks more than great, there isn't any Basketball arena in Germany with so much seats, perhaps the O2 World in Berlin, where ALba Berlin plays there home games ..
Perhaps some of you know them :)

ZagNative
11-17-2009, 09:53 AM
The last time I looked, ESPN 360 was not available in Europe. The time for the game in Germany should be about 2:00 a.m. It may be delayed a bit if the previous game runs late and is exciting enough that ESPN does not want to cut away to the Gonzaga-MSU game.

Question for our German friends: Many of us like to warm up andget in themood for tip-off with music videos. My favorite is still Thunderstruck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y-8s8rkiOM)! shot on Gonzaga's home court for the 2006-07 season.

For this team of youngsters, I think we need something new. Do you have any suggestions for music that would make Elias feel at home warming up?

I'm listening to a lot of Black Eyed Peas, "I Gotta Feeling! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zcOFN_VBVo)"

Crazy
11-17-2009, 03:54 PM
in germany we mostly play american/uk music before the tipp off, and i don't know what music speyer choose.

One song, which becomes in german sports arenas popular in the last months sadly i just found the original Party version and the soccer version(which is modiefied more):

Was geht ab (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQqpMukDSP4&feature=related) the version the basketball fan in bonn use is sadly banned in youtube :((i don't think they use the same like the football teams)

The "düp düp dededüp..." from Scooter - maria (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzgBQdn1Uqg) is another think you could find a easy "chorus" in the night so maybe it is typical german but not really sport, but i think you ask to get some get to look at and i answer because i try to stay awake ;)

So i would add some other popular german bands, with different styles:
Wir sind Helden (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlRcwMEu5wA)(maybe a uncommon style out of germany)
Die Ärzte (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlRJIIruuTs&feature=related)(maybe the most popular rock band in germany)
Die Toten Hosen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li2t_XbXaRY)(the contestor for the Ärzte in popularity)
Seed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yWU0lFghxU)(german Dancehall)
Fanta 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQCdKe9kU2w&feature=related)(german Hip Hop)
Fettes brot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7nPmn3soiM&feature=related)(another german Rap band)

So this is short overview to popular german musik, usually old songs but classics. In the Hip Hop section, we also have a lot other popular stuff but i don't like the gangsta rap, the song selection is my personal flavour ;)

German
11-17-2009, 04:24 PM
clicking in the stream (big thanks to phillyzag, nice stream :) and the first thing i saw, nice deuce from Elias..
Very nice atmosphere,too.. like it :)
How the Zags can play as good as they do now the whole game :)

Crazy
11-17-2009, 04:40 PM
the stream are chaotic at my place, one good justin stream kicks me out because of to much germans in their ...

The philizag doesn't run fluid and looks like a pixel mash up :(

I got a good chinese one with tv ants but these one stopped working 10 minutes ago :(

are there a play by play ticker?

ZagNative
11-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Play by play on ESPN (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=293210127)

ZagNative
11-18-2009, 04:18 AM
Elias puts up a shot against Michigan State's Delvon Roe at Breslin Center November 17, 2009:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Harris/2009-11-17EliasHarrisMichiganState.jpg

German
11-18-2009, 06:12 AM
First of all, i was really really impressed by the atmosphere..oh my good, the fans were almost better than our soccer fans here in Germany. and they are really good :)

To the game:
First half was strange basketball i think, MSU didn't play good, lots of turnovers(good defense), and gonzaga should have score more, and a more comfortable lead would have been deserved.

Second half, better basketball from MSU, Zags in foul trouble, lots of silly fouls,especially Elias, and with the fans, MSU had a run.
It was a pity that I fall a sleep with 8 minutes to go in a timeout and so i can'T say anything about crunchtime..

A few words to Elias:
I think he played solid, but in some situations he made silly mistakes, lots of turnovers, fouls, and forced shots. But he gets lots of confidence from the coach, i think, and he learns , with every game in the NCAA. Especially in front of such fans on the road.

One question in the end:
How is the system of the NCAA, i'm not familiar with it. How much games a team has before March Madness? And with what system? (so, how do they face? Do Gonzaga play Iowa State (with Lucca Staiger, another German) this season? And in the end of the season, before march madness a comitee is deciding who is allowed to be part of it?

kitzbuel
11-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Came across this for an IP TV solution: http://habutv.com/

Also, apparently Deutsche Telekom offers IPTV.

Not free solutions, but probably more reliable.

kitzbuel
11-18-2009, 07:49 AM
One question in the end:
How is the system of the NCAA, i'm not familiar with it. How much games a team has before March Madness? And with what system? (so, how do they face? Do Gonzaga play Iowa State (with Lucca Staiger, another German) this season? And in the end of the season, before march madness a comitee is deciding who is allowed to be part of it?

There is a pretty good overview on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

Basically, there are 30 conferences in the NCAA Division I, the top division in US collegiate athletics. The winners of those conferences get automatic bids into the NCAA tournament held in March. Most conference determine this winner with their own conference tournaments

Since there are 65 (don't ask me why) teams that make the NCAA tournament, the remaining 35 teams are selected by a Selection Committee made up of athletic officials from various universities after the conference tourneys are done. They try to pick the best teams and then seed all the teams and create the brackets. This is a process and event that is as closely watched as the games themselves and you will see lots and lots of threads here about rankings and ratings percentage index (RPI) and strength of schedule. Those are all aspects that are used by the committee to determine selections and seedings.

As far as the season, Gonzaga, like all teams, plays several games outside of its own conference usually at the beginning of the season. Gonzaga is in the West Coast Conference and plays each of the other teams in the conference twice. You can see the others teams here: West Coast Conference (http://wccsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/west-m-baskbl-body.html).

The only way Gonzaga could play Iowa State this year is if they met in the NCAA tournament.

Gonzaga's schedule for this year is here: http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/gonz-m-baskbl-sched.html

Nazzir
11-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Another german duel could be versus Nebraska (Christian Standhardinger). He has to sit out the first 15 games, because he was part of a German club team on which some players were paid above expenses. He also played in the Pro B ( Erdgas Ehingen/Urspringschule).

Standings last Season:
http://www.diejungeliga.de/linkit.php?menuid=359&topmenu=130&keepmenu=inactive

"He can play in NUs two exhibition games, then must sit until the Huskers begin Big 12 play in January"

DMX - Where Da Hood At? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=333w6NhGQVM)
M.O.P. - Ante Up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iChUkxL6fS4)
Young Jeezy - i love it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoDkcS3qRsw)
50 cent - If I can't (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epPipE4z95I)

Zombie Nation - Kernkraft 400 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5LW07FTJbI)

Most of the time i hear hip hop songs at the basketball games.

Hennes & Cold - Get down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdshgiu8UWY&feature=related)
from 4:50 on my adrenaline pusher^^

Crazy
11-19-2009, 02:22 PM
http://thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=369

there where lot notations about harris in the game reviews, mostly positiv ;) But i take just this, which is maybe the most individual recap and probadly a honour(no idea hwo good the site is)

PS: When we mention other germans here maybe Lucca deserves a:clap:

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=204835578&DB_OEM_ID=10700

A question to the folk here, how strong is his university?

zaggernaut
11-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Not sure if this has been posted before but this was a twitter post by Jonathan Givony who writes for Draftexpress.com during or shortly after the zag game against MSU. I think DraftExpress is one of the more reliable nba draft websites out there.

http://twitter.com/DraftExpress/statuses/5816362917

"Elias Harris is a major stud. What a get for the Zags. Clearly the best NBA prospect on the floor here."

Pretty strong words considering some of the players MSU has.

kitzbuel
11-19-2009, 07:18 PM
A question to the folk here, how strong is his university?

Iowa St is in a tough conference - Big 12. They are picked to be in the middle of their conference standings this year: http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=204812805

Since they are playing in such a tough conference though, if they can stay above .500 and get a win against Kansas and Texas they could get into the tournament.

bballbeachbum
11-19-2009, 07:41 PM
he sure messed with Roe, Green, or anybody else he faced in his first real taste of Div I ball imho, mistakes and all (very correctable types of mistakes imo)

ZagNative
11-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Looking for a big night from Elias tonight, seen here dunking on Raymar Morgan of Michigan State:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Harris/2009-11-17EliasHarrisMichState3.jpg

Look for justin tv live streaming (http://www.justin.tv/phillyzag) here.

Stat tracking choices:
Yahoo (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/scoreboard)
CBS (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/scoreboard)
Fox (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/scores?scheduleDayCode=2009-11-20&refreshRate=60&conf=all)
ESPN (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboard?confId=50)

Last year, I thought Yahoo was quickest to update.

Crazy
11-21-2009, 02:35 AM
8 Points 5 Rebounds in 18 minutes seems to be solid especially for a game with scrimmage charakter which seems to be testing the bench.

But 4 To are a lot especially for the short period he play, i don't know exactly ow to express it but are that tunrover who happen from time to time or did it was silly turnover who gave his game a bad impression.

Nevtelen
11-21-2009, 08:24 AM
8 Points 5 Rebounds in 18 minutes seems to be solid especially for a game with scrimmage charakter which seems to be testing the bench.

But 4 To are a lot especially for the short period he play, i don't know exactly ow to express it but are that tunrover who happen from time to time or did it was silly turnover who gave his game a bad impression.

Not a great game from Harris, undoubtedly his worst so far (though that's not saying much - his other 2 have been fantastic!) Foul trouble just took him out of his game quickly and he never really got going. His transition dunk off an alley-oop was probably his best play of the night that I remember. Anyway, this game was more about giving the less-tested freshmen a chance to show their stuff, so Harris didn't get that much PT.

Dogtownkid
11-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Ich möchte gern mit Elias einmal sprechen, aber wahrscheinlich ist das unmöglich. Diesen Sommer reiste ich in Deutschland und Österreich und dort habe ich seine Spiele gegen Latvia und Griechenland gesehen.

MickMick
11-21-2009, 08:18 PM

I have seen two seperate occasions where Elias has tried to pass to the post and threw it directly to a defensive player. Other times the pass is too hot or off target and goes out of bounds. The Zags are using the high-low pass often and Harris is critical to the play.

No worrys. A player with his focus will get that play down.

He has been such a beast under the rim that it is tough for me to be critical of him for it. He is new to the program and I am much more forgiving of the newer players for turnovers.

HKeks
11-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Hi there,

I suppose he might have been a bit nervous still. Playing for such a crowd where everybody looks at him is certainly not normal for him right now. But I must admit, that he looked a bit clumsy in this situations. I think he will improve, when he gets used to the situation. Of course he is not perfect and I'm sure he knows that and will work on that...

I realized that he was a bit out of the team in the begining. He had no points but he had no trys too (or just one). This was better in the second half and he made his points then...

Bye the way: many thanks to phillyzag for streaming the game. That is a great option to see Elias, even better, than when he played in germany ^^

@dogtownkid: are u german? otherwise: great german speaking skill :)

Dogtownkid
11-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Nein, ich bin Amerikanerin. Ich habe Deutsch für viele Jahre gelernt, aber nur ab und zu, und ich spreche kein fleissendes Deutsch. Mein Wortschatz ist zu klein. Ich möchte gern in Dresden nächtes Jahr eine Goethe Institut besuchen.

Jetzt lerne ich Spanisch.

LynetteG
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Nein, ich bin Amerikanerin. Ich habe Deutsch für viele Jahre gelernt, aber nur ab und zu, und ich spreche kein fleissendes Deutsch. Mein Wortschatz ist zu klein. Ich möchte gern in Dresden nächtes Jahr eine Goethe Institut besuchen.

Let's see if I can translate, only speaking English and Spanish.... tell me how close I get :)

No, I am American. I went to Germany to study at Jahre, and ...., and I speak ok German. My ... is .... I studied in Dresden after Jahre at the Goethe Institute. I also learned Spanish...

How'd I do? I swear I didn't use a translating page.

Nevtelen
11-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Let's see if I can translate, only speaking English and Spanish.... tell me how close I get :)

No, I am American. I went to Germany to study at Jahre, and ...., and I speak ok German. My ... is .... I studied in Dresden after Jahre at the Goethe Institute. I also learned Spanish...

How'd I do? I swear I didn't use a translating page.

Jahre = year, I'm pretty sure (my wife teaches German and a bit rubs off on me occasionally :) )

LynetteG
11-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Ah ok, woohoo.

No, I am American. I went to Germany to study for a year, and ...., and I speak ok German. My ... is your.... I studied in Dresden after a year at the Goethe Institute. I also learned Spanish...

Jyz
11-22-2009, 05:03 PM

No, I'm american. I've learned german for several years, but only from time to time and i do not speak it fluently. My vocabulary is too limited. I'd like to visit the Goethe Institut in Dresden next year.

Now i learn spanish.

LynetteG
11-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks Jyz! I guess I was close! LOL

Dogtownkid
11-22-2009, 08:25 PM
I think it should be "fliessendes" Deutsch.

Reborn
11-24-2009, 08:06 AM
I was so impressed yesterday by how Harris really stepped up big in the second half. His fire inside was burning red hot. He really has that ability to put his signature on a game. That signature to me is toughness and confidence in all his skills, on both ends of the court. As the game approached the last couple of rounds, he seemed to be so determined. His 3 point play on a beautiful drive to the hoop fist tied the game. And that was followed a minute or two later by a great block. At the end of a game, often one of the biggest plays is making stops at the defensive end. That block was huge. And there was also that full-out hustle play when he saves the ball as it's going out of bounds. It is precisely these kinds of plays that reaslly hurt our opponents. They are big shots to the gut. Uppercuts that hurts, as BZ would say. They are shots to the ribs that vibrate through the whole body.

I am anxious to see even more of this today. The games are bigger now, and the matches tougher. Elias Harris knows how to play tough.

ZagNative
11-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Elias blocking Marcus Relforde's shot in the second half:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Harris/2009-11-23EliasHarrisColoradoMaui2.jpg

007Zag
11-24-2009, 09:56 AM
harris made a couple huge effort plays yesterday that pumped me up even more than that sweet drive across the lane for the three point play:

1) the block. it was huge. it was great backside help.
2) the save. it was pretty late in the game, but he saved it from going out on the baseline and managed to throw it to the corner to bouldin. Harris didn't play well early, but really turned it on late and worked hard to get himself more and more into the game.

i really like this guy.

ZagNative
11-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Mike DeCourcy, a well-respected sportswriter for the Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-11-24/years-gonzaga-squad-built-hit), quotes Michigan State Head Coach Tom Izzo about Elias,
"That Harris kid, if he keeps improving, is going to take them from good to great," Izzo said. "He can do a variety of things. He can run the floor, shoot the three. He can pass. He goes every time to the offensive boards – relentlessly."

German
12-12-2009, 03:10 AM
So some information from Germany :

Germany is part of the World Cup 2010 in turkey, today we got an Wildcard, so we can see Elias back in a pro competiton!
Together with Dirk Nowitzki and perhaps Chris Kaman is part of the team, too, but it isn't sure at the moment.

My opinion the Starting 5:

Steffen Hamann
Lucca Staiger
Robin Benzing
Dirk Nowitzki
Chris Kaman

Elias, could backup the 2,3 and the 4 in the national Team, so he will get many minutes, perhaps he will start instead of Robin, but it's a long time to go!

To the last weeks:

Haven't seen lots of games from the Zags, because I had to do much work for school, but I have seen Elias' ejection, and must say, it was okay, but he will learn from it, i think.

Greets from Germany :), GREAT support from your fans in each game, i've seen till today :)

ZagNative
12-12-2009, 04:58 AM
Congratulations! We'll look forward to following our German friends again!

HKeks
12-12-2009, 07:45 AM
I will see (hopefully) my second zags game today. I even didn't saw the foul of Elias. But I was immediately sure, that it wasn't a foul because Elias is an unfair player. I saw a lot games of him in Speyer, and I never saw something unfair.

So I hope to see him today, making a great game for the Zags.

Greetings from Germany and have fun with the game!!

ZagNative
12-12-2009, 08:20 AM
If you want to look at any of Elias games against tough competition, one of our posters (ZagMan In Philly) uploaded them to Youtube, in 9-part segments:

Colorado in Maui (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8D965FC57ED7622D)
Cincinatti in Maui (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6FC02B5349944EDC)
Wash. St. (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=51AB8C72B534D050)
Wake Forest (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=DF686DDF3E902235)

ZagMan In Philly's YouTube name is Paulktrans. Do yourself a favor and subscribe to his channel. He's also a super-nice guy and has fans of his channel and his uploads all over the world.

ZagNative
12-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Our german friends might want to be sure to check out this thread about the DraftExpress latest evaluation of Elias (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=497419#post497419).

And this feature about Elias by Bud Withers of The Seattle-Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2010473119_zags11.html).

And I can't resist the urge to put up a photo of my favorite import from Germany. It's from the last game, vs. Augustana, not an important game but I liked the shot.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/SyMNGsQ6HOI/AAAAAAAAC_E/yPDu5qO3Hg0/2009-12-09%20%20Elias%20Harris%20Augustana%20Shoots.jpg

German
12-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Our german friends might want to be sure to check out this thread about the DraftExpress latest evaluation of Elias (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=497419#post497419).

:) Thanks, but i know all the threads here, every day I visit your site, to see what's going on :)

ZagNative
12-12-2009, 08:59 AM
You have more fortitude than some of us here! ;) We do go on a bit, don't we?

Crazy
12-12-2009, 02:26 PM
sry i send it two times

Crazy
12-12-2009, 02:59 PM
So some information from Germany :

Germany is part of the World Cup 2010 in turkey, today we got an Wildcard, so we can see Elias back in a pro competiton!
Together with Dirk Nowitzki and perhaps Chris Kaman is part of the team, too, but it isn't sure at the moment.

My opinion the Starting 5:

Steffen Hamann
Lucca Staiger
Robin Benzing
Dirk Nowitzki
Chris Kaman

Elias, could backup the 2,3 and the 4 in the national Team, so he will get many minutes, perhaps he will start instead of Robin, but it's a long time to go!

to be honest, benzing is currently in a top shape and make big games against taffer competition - don't think that Harris will be in front of him. And i won't be sure that he even made the team, i think it could become a close fight with Lischka and maybe even Wysocki for spot as a Forward. I think he was in the last rooster to get a defensiv match up for the 2, where he mostly plays but i could believe Tadda could be that role player(i actually rate him stronger then lucca) this season and Gunther is hopefully healthy so that our guard rotation is bigger.

German
12-14-2009, 12:13 PM
No i'm sure he will get an spot on the roster, when he'll play as good as he is at the moment, the whole season!

My roster (at the moment)

Guards: Steffen Hamann, Heiko Schaffarzik, Lucca Staiger, Demond Greene

Hamann and Heiko will share the minutes at PG, and heiko will get some minutes at the 2, too, i think. He is playing a great season, and he hits the 3 very well, and with Dirk and Kaman inside, it's important.
For the same reason Lucca will start at the 2, he is a phenomenal shooter (better than Tadda). If Demond returns, he is important,too. Experience, good defense!

SF (the most talented position we have ): Robin Benzing, Elias Harris ( Konrad Wysocki or Jo Lischka)

Benzing will start, he can get it to the rim, nice shot. Very talented, I see him often at Ulm and I think he is the next German in the NBA.

Elias gets his backup minutes at the 3 (15 per game) and perhaps, if it's needed he can defend at the 2. Rebound it, fighting, energizer from the bench

PF: Dirk Nowitzki , Tim Ohlbrecht, Jan Jagla

Best position in our National Team, Dirk the beast ;) (nice gamewinner against Bobcast by the way) behind him Jagla and Ohlbrecht give him some rest, if he needs .

C: Kaman and Tibor Pleiß
I hope Kaman will play, so we have a veery nice team. Pleiß can get 5-10minutes, plays a good season, but I think Ohlbrecht will get some minutes at Center,too.

So this would be my roster, i hope some of you are interested in it :)

Crazy
12-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Lischka playing an excellent season too, don't forget that and he play on a higher level in european System mostly on the 3 which should be an advantage for him.

Wysocki was in front of him in the last rooster, even when he didn't make a good impression i think DB thinks that he is good enough.

For the guards i am sure Bauerman takes three Point Guards to turkey, he always mention that this is improtant for him - but last season Gunther get injured(and strasser take a break) so you would have one spot less in the rooster. Maybe Pleiss is staying home*, when DB says Ohlbrecht play the 5(as usually under DB) and we don't have much playing time behind Karman and Ohlbrecht and potential Tweener on the three in case of injurys foul trouble.

*Edit: i don't think so, because he is the most talented big guy in Germany and would be a good 12 man who brings in another dimension - and our second/third sf would be pretty equal from the way they play the game(maybe even a small chanche for Zwiener) and Jagla could play the three also and maybe he will ask for playing time because he is in german terms to strong for 5 min behind Nowe.

HKeks
12-15-2009, 02:56 AM
I think Robin Benzing has lots of talent, but I'm not sure, if he is really in front. If you compare his stats to Dirks stats in their first BBL-Season you can see a huge difference:

Dirk:
PPG 22.90
RPG 8.40
APG 3.10
SPG 1.90
EFF + 27.13

Robin:
PPG 12.07
RPG 2.27
APG 1.00
SPG 0.67
EFF + 8.53

And Dirk was even younger and dominated. Robin is a good 6th man. But if the scouts would choose a good 6th man from the german league, who has to put on a lot of weight, or a fundamentally stronger player with a good press in the USA, even if he plays of course in a weaker league, i'm not sure...

I'm sure Elias will have a good chance to lurch Robin and the others, if he works hard, and improves further.

okok, it's not really fair to compare s.o. in Germany with Dirk, he'll be probably the best german player for many more years... ;)

source: http://www.beko-bbl.de/linkit.php?menuid=268&topmenu=270&keepmenu=inactive

German
12-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Yeah, you are definetly right, that you can't compare Robin with Dirk, because Dirk is MVP, and for Robin it isn't sure to be drafted somedays. (And Dirk had 38 min/game and Robin has only 22 at the moment, so his stats are very good for his time, which will increase the next games)
At the moment there is a hype, because lots of NBA-Scouts travel only for him, to Ulm. And in Germany you can't read anything about Elias. ;) That's the difference.
But I'm sure that Elias gets an spot, and some minutes in Turkey, but I don'Tsee him in front of Robin. (at the Wolrd Cup, the NBA chances etc, aren't the same :)

BobZag
12-15-2009, 09:21 AM
When Philipp Neumann is old enough, I'd sure like to see him follow Elias to Gonzaga. I think Philipp would do great like Elias.

uhg80
12-16-2009, 10:24 AM
When Philipp Neumann is old enough, I'd sure like to see him follow Elias to Gonzaga. I think Philipp would do great like Elias.

I like him, too. He's the next german big man prospect after Ohlbrecht, Pleiß, Zirbes and Wohlfarth-Bottermann. Might be some eligibility issues though. One of his teammates in Breitengüßbach this season is Rider alumnus Paul Johnson who has played professionally for BBL club Artland Dragons for two seasons. Elias' home team Speyer didn't sign US pros to help his college career, which is pretty much uncommon in Pro B. Could cost Neumann a year.

German
12-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Neumann is in the roster of the Brose Baskets bamberg,too.
It's a pro team, and they play in the best league in germany, so I'm sure there will be problems ;)

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-16-2009, 11:00 AM
I did some research on the web this morning on Philipp Neumann, and the thought of having him in a Zags uniform nearly blew my mind. Even if there would be some hurdles regarding his eligibility, it might be worth it. Players like him don't come along everyday.

ChrisB
12-17-2009, 07:25 AM
First of all I´d like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post in this forum. As you might guess, I´m another German follower of Elias´progression at your university. Thanks to forums like this, it´s very easy for us Germans to be up to date. Therefore I just have to share my today´s finding with you as a means of saying thank you. It is an interview Elias gave to his former basketball association yesterday. Hopefully, this is new infirmation for you.

For those of you with a German background and/or language skills, ckeck out the following site:
http://www.bvrp.de/bvrp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=936&Itemid=1

As the vast majority is probably not able to understand this interview, I just try to write down the interesting things below.

1.) Elias is sharing an appartement originally designed for four persons with a teammate. Unfortunately, his teammates name is not given.

2.) His choice on joining Gonzaga was influenced not only by Mr. Lloyd but also because of the neatly arranged campus. He also had an offer by an university having more than 60.000 students. However, this scared him.

3.) The coaches indicated than he will receive a lot of playing time here at Spokane. The Gonzaga coaches also talked with those responsible for the German basketball team, especially head coach Dirk Bauermann, and agreements were made.

4.) Elias was overwhelmed by the friendly support he received from day one. Quote:" Everyone, the coaches with their families, the teammates, people at the university, supporters, was throughout friendly and helpful. Couldn´t have been better."

ZagNative
12-17-2009, 07:36 AM
Thank you, ChrisB! Welcome. Nicely done! There was one interesting tidbit left out of your summary - What Elias misses most from his homeland? His girlfriend and his family.

Sad news, that, for the ladies on campus!

uhg80
12-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Good find, Chris. Thank you. Elias also tells how former Zag Ronny Turiaf woke him up one morning during the ECs to talk with him about his "new basketball family" at Gonzaga.

Crazy
01-04-2010, 04:18 AM
i like to up this thread again, after having the time to watch three Zags games the last days to share my observations.(Eastern Washington, Illinois, Davidson)

Strengths:
It seems to be very hard for the competition to stop him, he locks down (wide) open threes pretty good with a very high accuracy, and when getting the ball in midrange or the post he have plenty of possibilities to score combined with his athletic he nearly finished everything in those games. He rebounds well with his energy and leaping ability.

Weaknesses:

Especially against Wahington, he deny's some open long range shots and i didn't remember one against his man - to etablish a good offense game as a 3 i think he still need work and additional confidence here.
I also notice that he sometimes hesitates to follow his opposition in defence to the perimeter, even if the players shows that he could hit the three, and with his quikness he didn't need that much space to avoid the drive(could be a coaching decision, but he didn't use his ability to guard the perimeter that well in my eyes). Another point which i recognize in his defence that he plays then pretty soft, and very often just stand in defensiv position(and not to take an offensiv charge) and didn't block out well(which he should do if he stays at the four).

I don't think that it will be a good decision for him, to go to the draft this season.
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2010/

HKeks
01-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Hi there,

this is a chance to push this thread an ask an important question for all the EH fans overseas. Does anyone know if there is a chance to see the game against San Diego? It's a good time to see it ehre in Germany, but I found the Side of PhillyZag gone, so I don't know, how to get it on the screen. I would be grateful for a small hint :)

Greetings from Speyer!

Nevtelen
01-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Hi there,

this is a chance to push this thread an ask an important question for all the EH fans overseas. Does anyone know if there is a chance to see the game against San Diego? It's a good time to see it ehre in Germany, but I found the Side of PhillyZag gone, so I don't know, how to get it on the screen. I would be grateful for a small hint :)

Greetings from Speyer!

It looks like it'll be available on channelsurfing.net. The link is close to the bottom of the page.

HKeks
01-16-2010, 09:09 AM
great!!

Thanks a lot!

ZagMan in Philly
01-16-2010, 09:11 AM
http://www.justin.tv/gonzaga_basketball#r=aemX7sg

link to the stream

Nevtelen
01-16-2010, 09:11 AM
great!!

Thanks a lot!

No problem - the quality might not be the best (sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not), but at least you can see the game.

SLOZag
01-16-2010, 01:05 PM
That conclusion according to Rivals, which now rates Elias as the 10th best freshman at any position.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewcbse.asp

That rating was based on performances up until January 11, 2010 -- meaning it doesn't take into account Elias' 31 points and 13 rebounds against St. Mary's on January 15, 2010.

Interesting footnote: Of the five forwards rated above Elias, Gonzaga has already faced two of them -- Stevenson & Gallon. Elias' performance against them in head-to-head competition was top drawer: in the Gonzaga-Cincinnati game Stephenson got 15 points and 2 rebounds, whereas Elias got 13 points and 7 rebounds. In the Gonzaga-Oklahoma game Gallon got 8 points and 5 rebounds (and one backboard :D ), while Elias got 15 points and 9 rebounds.