PDA

View Full Version : What two things will you be looking for

Reborn
10-31-2009, 05:28 AM
in the game on Monday. Try to keep your responses to two things so others witll be encouraged to share too.

1. I will be looking at passing. I always do. Are we moving the ball or playing one on one. When looking at passing this includes seeing who is making turnovers and why? Can they pass? Are our passes sharp, crisp or are the lazy (which produces turnovers). Do they hit the receiver in the chest so he can get a good shot or are shooters having to reach all over the place in order to receive the pass? Good passing has always been a key to scoring, and Gonzaga almost always has really good passing. Maybe not early in the season, but we'll see flashes of good passing and I want to see how some of the new guys pass.

2. I will be very interested in how we defend. I know we have Meech, but who else wants to play defense with the kind of passion that Meech plays it with? I think we should be able to defend pretty well out front because that's where our experience is. Matt has been in the system 3 years and Steven two, and Meech one. The biggest question about the defense I think is how will we defend down low? Will Sacre, Harris, Poling et al be able to defend the basket? Do we have a shot blocker like Austin? Are we intimidating down low? Will we punish guards who drive the lane? I will be disappointed if Alberta gets more than 60 pts.

kyle dixon
10-31-2009, 05:59 AM
1. No injuries
2. a win

zag67
10-31-2009, 07:18 AM
I will agree on the no injuries and my 2 are.

1. Attacking defense. Pressure the ball and have the back help if/when you get beat. And when the ball goes up, box out. You do not have to get the rebound, but make sure your man does not get the rebound.

2. Finding the open person and getting them the ball in the flow of the game. I want to see ball movement and player movement to get open.

Hopefully all of the players play as hard as they can at both ends of the court. I would like to see each of them playing 20 -25 minutes, knowing that they have another person to come in and back them up.

FlyZag
10-31-2009, 07:25 AM
Turnovers
Post-play

ZagAddict
10-31-2009, 07:48 AM
1) Post Offense - it's going to be critical to establish an inside scoring threat this season so that teams don't just focus on shutting down our perimeter offense. Hopefully Sacre, Poling, and Harris will give GU inside/down low scoring options to free up perimeter shooters like Gray, Bouldin, and Gibbs.

2) Depth - what kind of quality depth does GU really have. There are sooooo many question marks heading into this season. No one truly knows what kind of ready-to-play talent GU has with all the new faces. What kind of impact will Elias Harris have and what are his strengths? How will Sacre and Poling play after sitting out for a year? What kind of contributions will Gibbs, Arop, or Kong offer? Where does GJ fit into our guard rotation?

This is the first year in a long while that I truly don't know what kind of team we will have or what kind of strengths/weaknesses we will have on the court. These days a freshman stud can catapult a team into the Top 25 (e.g. Michael Beasley, Blake Griffith, James Harden). Is Elias Harris that kind of player? So many questions, but so much excitment as well. I really feel fans are keeping expectations realistic this season. I haven't been reading the typical off-season Final Four predictions. I can't wait for Monday....

Go Zags!

roxdoc
10-31-2009, 08:04 AM
1. Definitely post offense - critical to our overall success this year

2. How Arop and Kong do at the wing position - no one seems to be talking much about them. They are both potential stars.

75Zag
10-31-2009, 08:07 AM
My two points of interest:

1. Is there anybody who gets zero minutes? Getting zero minutes in a practice game would indicate to me that somebody is in the disciplinary dog house or that they have an undisclosed injury.

2. How hot are Canadian college cheerleaders compared to GU cheerleaders? My theory - after decades of careful observation - is that cheerleaders get shorter and wider as you travel north. San Diego & LA area cheerleaders are super hot. Oregon is ok. GU has had its ups and downs. Will Canadian cheerleaders look like the Michelin Tire guy?

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

SpudDawg
10-31-2009, 08:09 AM
Variations on a theme ...

1) Team ball -- ball movement, flow on defense. In other words, "how do they play together?" Only been a couple of weeks, but by this time they need to be developing consistent chemistry. Are they fitting into the roles Coach Few and the staff envision for them? How will they defend the 3? (Ah, the annual question.) What kind of rotation/playing time will we see? (Not really the game to draw definitive conclusions, but it will offer hints.)

2) Sacre -- I'm not sold on all the talk of improvement. What I've read about his Kraziness performance does nothing to change that opinion.

MickMick
10-31-2009, 08:29 AM
1) movement and spacing without the ball

2) free throw shooting

ShipstadPilot11
10-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Post Offense - it's going to be critical to establish an inside scoring threat this season so that teams don't just focus on shutting down our perimeter offense.

As a Pilot fan I can relate to that feeling. A balanced attack is crucial to any team. I have a feeling that inside play will dictate the success of both the Zags and Pilots this year.

BobZag
10-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Outside shooting.
Defense.

I doubt we'll learn much as the staff will make frequent substitutions to watch how various different combinations look.

23dpg
10-31-2009, 03:34 PM
My two points of interest:

1. Is there anybody who gets zero minutes? Getting zero minutes in a practice game would indicate to me that somebody is in the disciplinary dog house or that they have an undisclosed injury.

2. How hot are Canadian college cheerleaders compared to GU cheerleaders? My theory - after decades of careful observation - is that cheerleaders get shorter and wider as you travel north. San Diego & LA area cheerleaders are super hot. Oregon is ok. GU has had its ups and downs. Will Canadian cheerleaders look like the Michelin Tire guy?

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Oregon cheerleaders are freakishly hot. They are not an accurate representation of the state mind you, but they stack up against any squad in the country.

willandi
10-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Kennel club
Post-game bar

75Zag
10-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Oregon cheerleaders are freakishly hot. They are not an accurate representation of the state mind you, but they stack up against any squad in the country.

23, am at Oregon USC game right now. OR cheerleaders in windbreakers. SC cheerleaders in hot sweaters. Tough to validate your point. Need indoor basketball season. Go Bulldogs.

bigblahla
10-31-2009, 08:37 PM
No offense to our friends from the north but this is such an over-match that the Zags should be able to impose their will over the entire court.

Hustle and desire is all I'll look for in this game as it is just for the fun of it.

Finally it's time to lace them up.

Grant Gibbs will create his roll and be the breakout player of this season, barring further injury.

Go!! Zags!!!

Reborn
10-31-2009, 10:56 PM
Grant Gibbs will create his roll and be the breakout player of this season, barring further injury.

I hope you are right. I would really like that too. I remember real well when we were recruiting him. A few of the guys on the board were really hoping that Few would take Tinsley from Oregon (I think Portland). Both of them really wanted to go to Gonzaga. I think, in the end, that Few saw Gibbs as tougher. And when I read that, way back then, about him I was excited. And then last weekend when they scrimmaged, and he had that toughness and hustle like Pendo had, I too felt that maybe there is a place for Grant Gibbbs on this Zag team. And I heard he also knocked down some good three's. The key for Grant is to keep doing what he did last Saturday when he gets into games. Just hustle, hustle and hustle. Good things begin to happen for those who do leave it all on the court.

azzagfan
11-01-2009, 12:06 AM
1. Q-Hall-esque attitude from this team, youth and inexperience can be cancelled out by sheer desire to win and the "bring it on" attitude.

2. How much will guys understand their roles (i.e. will Rob force it in the post rather than kick it out to open shooters or cutters, will Steven Gray realize he must be a shooter/scorer and play with that attitude).

gamagin
11-01-2009, 08:57 AM
(1) the 09-10 cheerleaders & KC
(2) the 09-10 bomb squad

jimmycarter
11-01-2009, 09:02 AM
To continue the mental shift...becoming a defensively tough, mentally tough-minded team.. Last year, I was thrilled with the fact that we became an impossing defensive team at times. Don't get me wrong, I love the Zags teams of the past but we've never been an intimidating defensive team. We've had an outstanding defensive player or two at times (EK, Ronny, etc.) but have never really scared anyone with our team D. Last year, we saw a GU team that seemed to embrace team D, and they played intimidating defense at times. This year's squad has the chance to continue this. Defense is a commitment to be tough-minded and proud of hussle plays. Defense is a mentality. With so many young guys (and a guy like Coach Ray driving the bus) this team could really hang it's hat on defensive effort. That's what separates great teams from good teams.

23dpg
11-02-2009, 01:22 PM
23, am at Oregon USC game right now. OR cheerleaders in windbreakers. SC cheerleaders in hot sweaters. Tough to validate your point. Need indoor basketball season. Go Bulldogs.

I came across this link while reading about the game.

http://www.bustedcoverage.com/?p=14301

zagzealot
11-02-2009, 02:06 PM
1. My seat
2. El Voce

Angelo Roncalli
11-02-2009, 02:43 PM
1. GoZags
2. Tartar sauce

Zag365
11-02-2009, 04:15 PM
confidence and assertiveness. Matt said he wants to play like it is 1999. Let's do it!

1973Zag
11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
1. finally see Bol Kong in action 2.see #1