PDA

View Full Version : GU at Oregon? Maybe, sorta...

Angelo Roncalli
10-30-2009, 01:10 PM
In their building, anyway...

Oregon is scheduled to move into the $227 million Matthew Knight Arena for the beginning of Pac-10 play during the 2010-11 season. That would put the first games there on Dec. 30, 2010, when the UO men host Arizona, and Jan. 1, 2011, against Arizona State.

The Ducks are also working on a prestigious doubleheader, to be called the Knight Classic, to be held in early December 2011 and match the Oregon men’s team against a prominent East Coast school, such as Duke, North Carolina or Syracuse, and match Gonzaga against another Pac-10 team.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/22192184-57/story.csp

sonuvazag
10-30-2009, 01:32 PM
GU vs UW in oregon.

a13coach
10-30-2009, 01:37 PM
GU vs UW in oregon.

UW takes a chance that GU beats them on the Ducks home court?

BobZag
10-30-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm hoping Arizona or either Bay Area Pac-10 school. But this is two long years away.

sonuvazag
10-30-2009, 01:38 PM
sounds fair... and i was j/k

sittingon50
10-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Since UO is going against a prominent East Coast school it stands to reason the Zags would play a prominent Pac 10 school.

bullzag23
10-30-2009, 01:53 PM
UW takes a chance that GU beats them on the Ducks home court?

I imagine we'd have many, many yellow and green clad supporters in that game

CDC84
10-30-2009, 02:20 PM

I would like to think that, but Few rejected their job this offseason, so their might be some sour feelings. Still, it's Fewie's alma mater and the place where Leon Rice used to be an assistant.

Drew
10-30-2009, 02:22 PM

Warm fuzzies for all!!!!

Angelo Roncalli
10-30-2009, 02:27 PM
My guess is that it would be the Pac-10 team right down the road...very little in travel costs, etc.

If it's not OSU, the team I'd like to see is Cal. The second most notorious light schedulers in the Pac-10.

kitzbuel
10-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Maybe if UNC showed, Obama would show up for a OSU/GU matchup.

BobZag
10-30-2009, 02:48 PM
I would like to think that, but Few rejected their job this offseason, so their might be some sour feelings. Still, it's Fewie's alma mater and the place where Leon Rice used to be an assistant.

And Leon's wife is an UO grad.

CDC84
10-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Cal's notoriously weak non-league scheduling will probably get better under Monty. In fact, the process has already started:

2009/10:

Murray State (picked to win the Ohio Valley)
Detroit
Syracuse (at NYC)
North Carolina or Ohio State (at NYC)
Princeton (picked 2nd in the Ivy League)
at New Mexico
Iowa State
at Pacific (picked 2nd in the Big West)
at Kansas
Utah Valley
Furman or UCSB

mdZag23
10-30-2009, 07:42 PM
At some point. I was at a big UO booster event in Medina, Wa recently with Belotti and a bunch of other UO athletic department people as well as a bunch of high placed boosters and they are saying this is all but a done deal!!

We'll see, but it is not going to be GU vs. the Ducks.

BobZag
10-31-2009, 08:36 AM
The reason I kinda doubt it'd be OSU is because I'm just not sure if the Beavs want to help showcase their hated rival's new Phil Knight arena. But that's just my theory.

75Zag
10-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Would be fun to watch GU @ the new Oregon venue. Based on how Phil Knight designed the Nike campus in Beaverton (a fantastic place to visit if you get the chance - microbrews on tap in the employee lounge, mmm), the Matthew Knight Arena is likely to be first class all the way.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

MickMick
10-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Would Few agree to playing UW there? There are pros and cons to both sides.

UCLA would be nice.

maynard g krebs
10-31-2009, 12:39 PM

As a former Eugenean who knows quite a few Duck fans, I'd characterize the fanbase as moderately pro-Zag. If the Zags played a hated pac-10 rival in Eugene (Beavs or W. Wa Poultry), they'd of course get tons of support.

Guys I used to play with at the Eugene Y who go to Duck games aren't aware that Few was offered the job, as this was behind the scenes and not reported by Oregon media. The Oregon fans I know aren't particularly passionate about Few one way or the other, as far as a replacement for Ernie. I think Few would get a positive reception in Eugene as the town suppports its local success stories.

ZAGduck
11-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Would be fun to watch GU @ the new Oregon venue. Based on how Phil Knight designed the Nike campus in Beaverton (a fantastic place to visit if you get the chance - microbrews on tap in the employee lounge, mmm), the Matthew Knight Arena is likely to be first class all the way.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

The new arena will be off the hook. Check out some of the animated "fly through" videos of what it will look like here (http://mactomatt.net/arena-info) And you can COUNT on local support for the Zags against almost anyone.

Oregon Zag
11-04-2009, 09:21 AM
And you can COUNT on local support for the Zags against almost anyone.

Ditto

madness
11-04-2009, 10:57 AM
It doesn't really make sense for a PAC 10 school to play a neutral game on another PAC 10 school's court.

It worked in the Pete Newell because it was played at the Oakland Coliseum.

I would estimate they would need to go outside of the PAC 10, and my first choice for a new series is always Georgetown :)

CDC84
11-04-2009, 11:08 AM
I am sure Knight could find 2 good BCS teams who have Nike shoe contracts to play in this event.

bullzag23
11-04-2009, 11:56 AM

I was actually referring to the idea that the rivalry between UO/UW is their second biggest behind OSU, and that not too many Oregon fans would want to see UW beat anyone on their home floor.

Drew
11-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Even before Oregon beat UW at Husky stadium this year, I've heard Husky fans in Seattle say things like "I hate Oregon." There is a lot more Husky anger towards the Ducks than usual . . . its hard for me to believe that UW's AD would seriously consider playing the Zags there.

Nevtelen
11-04-2009, 12:15 PM
There is a lot more Husky anger towards the Ducks than usual . . . its hard for me to believe that UW's AD would seriously consider playing the Zags there.

I think we can move that period over. --> "...its hard for me to believe that UW's AD would seriously consider playing the Zags."