PDA

View Full Version : Next year: Zags v. Sun Devils

Angelo Roncalli
10-29-2009, 06:07 PM
GU v ASU in the Wooden Classic in Anaheim.

In an effort to beef up its non-conference schedule, ASU will play Gonzaga in next season's John R. Wooden Classic, an event played at The Honda Center in Anaheim. ASU also is scheduled to participate in the Great Alaska Shootout.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DougHaller/66304

23dpg
10-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Silly ASU. Don't they know that you're suppose to drop Gonzaga from the schedule to beef up the non-conf. schedule?!

I will put the ASU athletic director in contact with UW's.

ZagAddict
10-29-2009, 06:22 PM
I always thought that a home/home series with ASU would be perfect for both programs... especially with Harden and Pargo as guards last year. I'm still excited to be playing the Sun Devils in the Wooden Classic next year though. Maybe it will turn into a series in the future. ASU is a solid team with a great coach in Herb Sendek.

Add another great team to the Zags' schedule next year...

Arizona St.
Xavier
Wake Forest
Washington State
Michigan State
Illinois
Oklahoma ???

Wow... Looks like Gonzaga just scheduled their PAC10 school for next year... sorry Romar... LOL

This is about as solid as a non-conference schedule can possibly get.

ZagAddict
10-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Silly ASU. Don't they know that you're suppose to drop Gonzaga from the schedule to beef up the non-conf. schedule?!

I will put the ASU athletic director in contact with UW's.

Apparently Lisa Love and Herb Sendek didn't get the memo :lmao:

Congrats to the GU staff for getting this game on the schedule :D

MDABE80
10-29-2009, 07:01 PM
And there will be more. Just a spectacular schedule. GU's come so far!!
Staff is amazing!!!

NotoriousZ
10-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Nicely done Few and staff!

< Insert Romar joke here >

kylasdad
10-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi Brock O., good to see you again.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-29-2009, 07:51 PM
I just might go to that game -- and root for GU

MickMick
10-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Congrats to Roth and Few for another great job of scheduling. Mark Few once commented that scheduling was as difficult as recruiting. You wouldn't know it by the way they have been putting it all together.

75Zag
10-29-2009, 08:57 PM
For Christmas this year, I think my grandson is going to get a gift certificate redeemable for a trip to Disneyland next fall. I am just that kind of guy - always thinking of others.

Now I just have to figure out a way to get rid of the darling little tyke while I go to the game.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

BobZag
10-30-2009, 08:53 AM
The Erickson State Fighting Osweilers.

Niiiiice.

:)

I think we'll be seeing more big names on the schedule, as Abe pointed out. Notre Dame is a possibility. St. Joe's, too. Et cetera.

CDC84
10-30-2009, 09:05 AM
On a related note, the Honda Center in Anaheim will be hosting the west regional in the 2011 NCAA Tournament. The 2010/11 Zags are likely going to be a pretty darn good team with a great chance to make the second weekend of the dance. The winner of that west regional moves on to the 2011 Final 4 which will be played at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

Drew
10-30-2009, 11:17 AM
What is the the Sun Devil's expected standing this year?

sittingon50
10-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Blue Ribbon picks them 7th.

tenniszag
10-30-2009, 11:44 AM
My guess would be in the 6-9 range. A good team to have on the schedule but with Sean Miller now at Arizona they will go back to being in the mid to lower part of the Pac Ten.

Final4Zag
10-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Off topic a little. Will the Zags get a chance to play in Spokane when they make the dance this season? How does that work?

CDC84
10-30-2009, 12:02 PM
What ASU has though is Herb Sendek. There isn't a better X's and O's coach in the entire Pac 10 with the exception of Mike Montgomery at Cal. I don't expect ASU to go back to the Rob Evans days. They will have a young team this year. I would imagine they will be better in 2011.

Off topic a little. Will the Zags get a chance to play in Spokane when they make the dance this season? How does that work?

If Gonzaga can land a top 4 seed, they will most certainly be placed in the Spokane subregional. Since WSU is the host, and since GU is only playing 1 game at Spokane Arena this season, they can play at that venue. But if they get a 5 or 6 seed (or worse), they could be sent packing.

Drew
10-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Has UCLA's oponent been announced?