PDA

View Full Version : 1st ESPN/USA Today Poll is Out

zagster318
10-29-2009, 04:07 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

Didn't expect the Zags to be in the top 25, but 34?!

JAGzag
10-29-2009, 04:10 AM
I'm satisfied; we're lucky to get any votes, frankly. We have one starter returning and our other "go to" player was a reserve off the bench. We have some proving to do before any recognition is justified.

FuManShoes
10-29-2009, 07:00 AM
I'm with JAG. It stings at first given how good the team was last year but that was last year and most on this team haven't played or haven't proven themselves stars -- yet. The potential is there but rankings and accolades must be earned (insert Nobel Peace Prize joke here) :)

Reborn
10-29-2009, 07:09 AM
This is a great place to start out I think. If we are as good as I think we can be we will go up. If we are as bad as some think we'll go down. Way down. Maui really will be a good place to see a little better where we're at. According to this poll we should be able to beat both Colorado and either Wisconsin or Arizona, and will end up playing either Maryland (#26 in the poll) or Vandy (#30 in the poll). This poll helps me believe that we could beat Wake Forest (#43) at home (which I predicted) and Memphis on the road (which I also predicted). If a person were to use this poll to predict how Gonzaga would do this year I think it would be rational to think they would lose only 5 or 6 games. There are only 3 teams ranked above us right now. But you need to throw in one or two losses in conference and maybe @ Illinois. My preseason prediction (27-5) was not only based on Gonzaga's strengths but also on the fact that many of the teams we are playing this year are also rebuilding. Memphis is ranked #50. Maybe we can finally win @ Memphis.

NJZag
10-29-2009, 07:16 AM
I'm satisfied; we're lucky to get any votes, frankly. We have one starter returning and our other "go to" player was a reserve off the bench. We have some proving to do before any recognition is justified.

+1

Plus, keeps the players hungry instead of smug ...

http://rlv.zcache.com/aim_high_mt_everest_poster-p228827025149207576qzz0_400.jpg

hockeyzag
10-29-2009, 08:13 AM
We better get used to this kind of ranking. I wouldn't expect us to be ranked very early in the season this year just because of our tough non conference schedule. Hopefully we can pull out some wins against some tough teams and get into the rankings early. If we can win the Maui Inv or at least get to the championship I'm sure that will help us. If those things happen we may get into the rankings early and then our conference schedule can help us rack up some wins on top of that.

11/02/09 vs. Alberta # Spokane, Wash. 6:00 p.m. PT
11/14/09 vs. Mississippi Valley State Spokane, Wash. 5:00 p.m. PT
11/17/09 at Michigan State East Lansing, Mich. 5:00 p.m. PT
11/20/09 vs. IPFW Spokane, Wash. 6:00 p.m. PT
EA Sports Maui Invitational
11/23/09 vs. Colorado Lahaina, Maui 12:00 p.m. PT
11/24/09 vs. Arizona/Wisconsin Lahaina, Maui TBA
11/25/09 TBD Lahaina, Maui TBA
12/02/09 vs. Washington State Spokane, Wash. 6:00 p.m. PT
12/05/09 vs. Wake Forest Spokane, Wash. 2:30 p.m. PT
12/09/09 vs. Augustana College Spokane, Wash. 6:00 p.m. PT
Battle In Seattle @ KeyArena
12/12/09 vs. Davidson Seattle, Wash. 1:00 p.m. PT

Aeropostle Classic @ Madison Square Garden
12/19/09 vs. Duke New York, NY 1:00 p.m. PT

12/28/09 vs. Eastern Washington Spokane, Wash. 6:00 p.m. PT
Ronald McDonald House Charities Classic
12/31/09 vs. Oklahoma Spokane, Wash. (Spokane Arena) 7:00 p.m. PT

01/02/10 vs. Illinois Chicago, IL (United Center) 11:00 a.m. PT
01/09/10 at Portland * Portland, Ore. 7:00 p.m. PT
01/14/10 at Saint Mary's * Moraga, Calif. 8:00 p.m. PT
01/16/10 at San Diego * San Diego, Calif. 6:00 p.m. PT
01/21/10 vs. Pepperdine * Spokane, Wash. 6:00 p.m. PT

sittingon50
10-29-2009, 08:45 AM
ewe dub at 13? It may be my extreme bias, but without Brockman; I don't think so.

Kiddwell
10-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Kind of surprised UP earned no votes...

:]

MDABE80
10-29-2009, 09:08 AM
7 new faces and some redshirts who've not seen much action in college. Press doesn't know them and the players are untested. It's the 10 year run that gives us any votes. Rephrased...3 good guards and, at this point, not much else is all the press knows. Once we get beyond Matt, Steven and Meech it's wide open. Big departures and no tested players to fill that void.

34 is a gift. We need to show we can win some games...big ones. That's the only way the Zags move up to a deserved ranking. Abe

JPtheBeasta
10-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Didn't expect the Zags to be in the top 25, but 34?!

Are you kidding? After that horrible performance at Kraziness in the Kennel?:)

gu03alum
10-29-2009, 11:01 AM
BOO! Gonzaga should be ranked in the top 25 until they prove that they don't belong there.

Nevtelen
10-29-2009, 11:03 AM
ewe dub at 13? It may be my extreme bias, but without Brockman; I don't think so.

IMO the worse are UCLA and USC earning votes. Really? Seriously? GU at 34 is pretty reasonable IMO. Hopefully we'll break into the rankings at some stage, but it has to be earned.

gu03alum
10-29-2009, 11:05 AM
IMO the worse are UCLA and USC earning votes. Really? Seriously? GU at 34 is pretty reasonable IMO. Hopefully we'll break into the rankings at some stage, but it has to be earned.

I agree USC underwent a ridiculous amount of turmoil over the offseason and lost just about everyone including the coach.

BroncoZAG615
10-29-2009, 11:11 AM

Gary Parrish has a theory about USC.

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/17966790

JLGutrocks
10-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Nice to have games scheduled with 6 of the teams on that list. 7 if you count the scrimmage with Texas.

Drew
10-29-2009, 11:20 AM
I expect we will have a few big losses early, and think we will face much less sceptism the longer it takes to be ranked in the top 25. Personally, I would prefer that we are not ranked until after we have a few big wins.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Just for fun, where do you think the Zags would be ranked in this pre-season poll if Daye had returned to school? My guess: somewhere between 15-20.

Zag365
10-29-2009, 12:23 PM
This is perfect. It not only fits the Zag narrative of the past decade, but it takes any pressure off the newbies to live up to hype. Then, when the team does well enough to climb into the top 25, they will once again draw national attention as the public and the writers "discover" another miracle performance by the little Jesuit school out West. If I was Coach Few, I'd be thanking my fellow coaches for the favor.

LongIslandZagFan
10-29-2009, 01:10 PM
37th in AP.

ZagInTexas
10-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I can't complain with the 34 spot for the Zags. I think that is about right. Look at it this way, we have seven newcomers and 10 players who have never played a minute of collegiate basketball, and we are STILL one of the best 35 teams in the country. Maybe being the hunters and not the hunted is the best spot for this group. Plus, I'm sure Few likes the role of underdogs!

zagzilla
10-29-2009, 01:53 PM
This is not a Top 25 team....yet.

In fact, given that we could easily lose 5 games or so in the non-conference schedule, we will not be ranked unless we get a long winning streak going in January & Feb.

I predict we will break the Top 25 for the first time the week of Feb 22nd.

Good news is that rankings mean nothing right now. Team is focused on learning the system. Do that well and rankings take care of themselves.

NotoriousZ
10-29-2009, 02:53 PM
I like seeing our games highlighted on Sportscenter, and there's a much better shot at that when you're ranked. So I'm really pulling for the improbable at Michigan St., and if that miracle doesn't happen I'm hoping we can take three in Maui (I think we can). Go Zags!

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm hoping we can take three in Maui (I think we can).

+1

The MI field isn't as strong this year, and I think we have a great chance at winning it. It's an ESPN event, so you know they will provide plenty of coverage on SportsCenter and ESPN.com. Hoisting the MI trophy would go a long way in gaining notoriety for GU's newbies.

DADoZAG
10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
I like seeing our games highlighted on Sportscenter, and there's a much better shot at that when you're ranked. So I'm really pulling for the improbable at Michigan St., and if that miracle doesn't happen I'm hoping we can take three in Maui (I think we can). Go Zags!

I agree on the highlights on Sportscenter, but several of our preseason games, along with the Maui Tourney, will be highlighted regardless due to the opponent.

The only other reason to be ranked is recruiting, and according to BZ, the ZAGS aren't doing much of that this year. :D

I really don't expect much as far as rankings until the ZAGS beat Portland then Memphis in February, but I think we might be in the high teens by selection Sunday.

Not to worry, all is well....

Go ZAGS!

Kiddwell
10-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Just for fun, where do you think the Zags would be ranked in this pre-season poll if Daye had returned to school? My guess: somewhere between 15-20.

Had Austin returned, between 15 and 20 seems about right. Certainly in the Top 25.

:]

dim4sum
10-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Picking the top 25 nowadays is a real crp shoot. Look at the Pac 10, weakened severely by the NBA draft and graduation. The good players, with some exceptions don't stick around for four years. It makes the whole recruitment process seem frivolous. One of these years a team of slow Princeton guys may win it all, based on the fact that they are the only ones who stick together for four years and know each other's lethargic movements well enough to play great team basketball. If the trend continues, Princeton has a chance in 2016. I'd like to see us unranked all year and then win it all.

kitzbuel
10-30-2009, 05:30 AM
Picking the top 25 nowadays is a real crp shoot. Look at the Pac 10, weakened severely by the NBA draft and graduation. The good players, with some exceptions don't stick around for four years. It makes the whole recruitment process seem frivolous. One of these years a team of slow Princeton guys may win it all, based on the fact that they are the only ones who stick together for four years and know each other's lethargic movements well enough to play great team basketball. If the trend continues, Princeton has a chance in 2016. I'd like to see us unranked all year and then win it all.
The only real chance of Princeton winning it all is if the NBA gets rid of their dumb age limit rule.

Zagtana
10-30-2009, 07:01 AM
This is FANtastic! Our chance to be the wUNDERDOGS. Just like the old days, the Cinderfellas. As far as the polls go, no where to go but UP! It is going to fun to watch our guys come together, to grow, as a team, a contender. Our chance to observe Coach Few and staff do their stuff. How far can we climb? Finding out will be the fun of it. The challenge to prove the "experts" wrong is now official. Let's stick it to them know-it-all prognosticators. Keep the faith, have patience. Our Zags will likely need our continued faith and support as they grow and learn and get 'er done!

SLOZag
10-30-2009, 01:40 PM
The Lady Zags are also rated 34 in the country (by SI).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/women/10/30/top.25.ap/