PDA

View Full Version : Poling & Mallon comparison...

Kiddwell
10-28-2009, 12:57 PM
More than one GU Board's poster attending "Kraziness" compared Poling (6'11") to Mallen (6'9"). Is that fair/accurate?

From reading past evaluations of Andy on Scout & Rivals, plus GU insiders' comments about Poling over the last year or so, Kiddwell had the idea Andy was not only stronger and more polished than Sean but quicker. Maybe not "quick," but quicker.

Someone who's seen 'em both, what's your take? (Loved Sean but expecting a lot more out of Andy.)

:]

FlyZag
10-28-2009, 01:29 PM
I don't think that's very accurate at all. I saw Sean as more of a lunch pail guy. Someone who didn't mind rolling up his sleeves and getting dirty rebounding and some put back scoring. I see Kelly as more of a finesse player. Like Josh was when he would get out away from the basket a bit.

NEC26
10-28-2009, 01:47 PM
I was thinking exactly that comparison when watching the scrimmage. Except I think Poling is a little taller and definitely more athletic. Once Mallon put on some weight he could hardly jump anymore. I think the comparison is close but Poling I think will be better.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm hoping that Andy turn to into GU's version of Matt Howard (Butler). Howard is probably a little more mobile, but Andy has better size.

BobZag
10-28-2009, 03:52 PM
More than one GU Board's poster attending "Kraziness" compared Poling (6'11") to Mallen (6'9"). Is that fair/accurate?

From reading past evaluations of Andy on Scout & Rivals, plus GU insiders' comments about Poling over the last year or so, Kiddwell had the idea Andy was not only stronger and more polished than Sean but quicker. Maybe not "quick," but quicker.

Someone who's seen 'em both, what's your take? (Loved Sean but expecting a lot more out of Andy.)

:]

That's about right. Andy's extra height does enable him to do some things Sean couldn't, but the comparison is valid. We'll like Andy a lot, I think.

webspinnre
10-28-2009, 07:28 PM
That's about right. Andy's extra height does enable him to do some things Sean couldn't, but the comparison is valid. We'll like Andy a lot, I think.

I think the thing is that his skill-set very similar to Sean's - a face the basket 4 with the ability to step out and hit the mid-range shot, and still developing on defense and rebounding. The advantage Andy has is an extra 2 inches and a bit more athleticism.

zagamatic
10-28-2009, 08:06 PM
The things that made me compare the two were overall mannerisms on the court, a similarity to how far away from the hoop they play, and their same "nose for the ball". Keep in mind that I've only seen Andy play in last years midnight madness and this years KIK and I'm comparing him to Sean's junior and senior seasons. I'm personally hoping that Andy is a bit more of a FORCE on the floor. But not at the expense of making too many mistakes.

roxdoc
10-28-2009, 08:12 PM
With all due respect to Mallon, he was a solid "other big" to augment the stars. I would be terribly disappointed if Andy turned out the same. As has been pointed out Andy is bigger and from what I have heard is much faster and much more athletic. Not that they are the same at all but I would say he's just as close to Cory as he is to Mallon. IMHO Andy will be more of a key to this very talented bunch than Mallon was to his.

MDABE80
10-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Andy's much more polished. When Sean was in HS, I expected him to put up 20 per night. Didn't work out that way. Andy is taller, has a better skillset, is a bit quicker, seems to have a better feel for the game and, now that's he's healthy, he weighs 240 lbs. I don't think Andy will do the 20 ppg either but he'll mix it up, won't flop and always be near the basket. Just a different player IMO.