PDA

View Full Version : Any Jesuit on the Bench this year?

Postplayer57
10-28-2009, 10:49 AM
We have heard several stories since Father Tony's death as to the reason for not having Catholic presense on the bench of the Gonzaga teams? As far as winning goes, I'm relatively sure who wins a sports game ranks rather low on God's priority list.On the other hand, in the sense that most of us fans who are practicing Roman Catholics find it strange when nearly every Catholic/Christian School we play and even some State Schools see no problem in having a Chaplain on their bench and offering a little Prayer that injuries won'tl occur and good sportsmanship will prevail, at all levels. It seems a legitimate question ? I volunteer at Sunday Mass week at St. Al's and I talk to a lot of Dads, Mom's, Brothers & Sisters there, and that question has been asked of me, too? Its a hard one to answer?

BobZag
10-28-2009, 11:02 AM
There was a Jesuit at every game last year. Saw him again last Saturday. He's just not as popular as Fr. Tony......yet.

ZagnetitForce
10-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I think Fr. Hightower, who blesses the Kennel Club before each game - very cool to see if you are in K2 early enough...he has them stand up section by section and gives them a blessing - is on the bench isn't he?

BobZag
10-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Bob, Fr Steve Cooter is at every home game as are several others, but thats not a presense on the bench is it? you know darn well what I'm getting at, you may not agree , but its the truth!

You've lost me. Much anger in you, I sense.

killerbootsman
10-28-2009, 11:10 AM
there was a Jesuit on the bench for every home game last year...

Angelo Roncalli
10-28-2009, 11:16 AM
And...for most of our home games and many of our away games, our university president, a Jesuit, was seated a few rows behind the GU bench.

Angelo Roncalli
10-28-2009, 11:19 AM
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper375/stills/59mv0dr6.jpg

jbslicer
10-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Steve Kuder, SJ is the correct spelling. (Not Cooter)

Postplayer57
10-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Pontiff, actually I'm sorry I brought it up. Some of us old Eastern Cradle Catholics are simply obsolete. For me to identify a Priest he has to wear a Roman Collar, and to be a Team Chaplain, he needs to sit on the bench. I realize a lot of my ideas are not in vogue and for that I apologize. I meant no harm in asking the question.

DenDiegoZag
10-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Pontiff, actually I'm sorry I brought it up. Some of us old Eastern Cradle Catholics are simply obsolete. For me to identify a Priest he has to wear a Roman Collar, and to be a Team Chaplain, he needs to sit on the bench. I realize a lot of my ideas are not in vogue and for that I apologize. I meant no harm in asking the question.

If one looks at Angelo's picture for more than half a second, it is clear that Fr. Ganz who was the Chaplain for the team for several years following Fr. Tony is wearing a Roman Collar.

Go Zags!

Zag 77
10-28-2009, 01:39 PM
It just so happens I was talking to him about it last night at an event up at G-Prep. Fr. Craig is a Jesuit in his late 30's. Here is a link to his photo.

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Hightower_Craig_41814627.aspx

He has gotten to meet the players already and looking forward to his role. He is a great guy.

Vizagra
10-28-2009, 01:51 PM
the Zags have a Jesuit presence on the bench for every game. Father Craig Hightower is the Preist on the bench and is dressed as a Preist.

Have you ever seen the Zags play in person over the last couple years? If you have, it is pretty easy to recognize the guy in all black with a Roman Collar.

Postplayer57
10-28-2009, 05:36 PM
What can I say? Evidently I was wrong. "Open mouth insert foot"!' My bad!

sonuvazag
10-28-2009, 05:38 PM
What can I say? Evidently I was wrong. "Open mouth insert foot"!' My bad!
At least the issue of concern is in good hands.

GU69
10-28-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm sorry I brought it up.

Postplayer, I'm not sorry that you brought it up, because I didn't know. I'm glad to hear that Fr. Hightower is there. And if you hadn't raised the issue I still wouldn't know.

MedZag
10-28-2009, 06:58 PM
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper375/stills/59mv0dr6.jpg

Fr. Ganz is the priest pictured in the photo and was on the bench for a few games the past few years. There was talk that it was going to be made a permanent role, but he has since moved on to the leadership council at Marylhurst.

A loss for Gonzaga, IMHO. In his 4 brief years at GU he made quite the mark on the community. I had the good fortune of having Fr. Ganz as a teacher in my high school days, and he still to this day is the most remarkable persons I have ever met, as anyone who attended one of his Theology on Tap sessions at J&D's can likely attest to. Being born and raised in Spokane, GU seemed a perfect fit for him. But what the Archdiocese commands, one obeys. He'll be a true asset at Marylhurst.

hooliganzag
10-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Sadly, my first post ever on the predecessor to this board was the news of Father Tony's death. I did so, however, because I knew that many people on the board likely knew and cared greatly about Father Tony. I've not posted in several years, but I still track and enjoy the information provided by this board. (Mainly I don't post because people here either don't know anything or know much more than I.)

In this instance, I happen to know Father Hightower, and have known him since he was a little kid. He is a great person to carry on Father Tony's tradition. He found his calling working with the Jesuit Volunteer Core in an orphanage in Haiti following his undergrad at Seattle U. His older sister is a Gonzaga favorite amongst those who went to school with her. He also was kind enough to do the honors for my daughter's first communion a few years back. Perhaps not yet Father T, but an excellent successor in my view.