PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Up Recruiting

BobZag
10-28-2009, 11:16 AM
A very interesting article--

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=4601355

Among the meatier suggestions in the package:

Eliminating so-called package deals, making it nearly impossible for a college program to hire any of the myriad of hangers-on associated with prospective student-athletes.

Disallowing college coaches to subscribe to recruiting services run by people associated with prospects. This would curtail services offered by AAU programs (and others) that charge colleges to subscribe but sometimes offer little to no information on the prospect.

Preventing payment to nonprofit organizations benefiting summer-club teams, prospects or people attached to prospects.

Preventing coaches from hiring outsiders to work at their camps and clinics.

Postplayer57
10-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Hurrah for Seth Greenberg. But I would be surprised to see anything close to that package passed. Just too much money being made by too many hucksters to shut them down. As ArchBishop Sheen used to say though ;
"its better to light one candle than curse the darkness".

75Zag
10-28-2009, 11:31 AM
The proposals sound like a good start. It would be nice to see the NCAA do something about the shoe company money flowing to "family counselors" who then act as intermediaries between schools and the recruit and recruit's families. But the proposed rule changes are way better than the current "hire my dad" or "hire my AAU coach" garbage that goes on.

GU has a great clean program. They should not be indirectly penalized for being "clean" while others are using "dirty" tactics to land blue chip recruits.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!