PDA

View Full Version : State by State Coverage of Prospects

ZagNative
10-27-2009, 11:39 AM
So, I wanted to check to see if Kyle Dranginis had a profile up yet on Rivals or Scout, and, of course, I didn't find one. I noted once again that Idaho still didn't have a single prospect for 2011 up on either site. I wondered how many states are largely unrepresented by the two major prospect scouting sites and so did some checking.

Rivals database made it fairly easy for me to filter the site by state and see the number of prospects profiled, but I gave up on Scout early on, because the filtering mechanism was too clunky and time-consuming, and so instead I just spot-checked a couple of states to compare with Rivals coverage. The list is below.

As noted, I was curious how many states seemed to be ignored by the two sites. Obviously, some states are more populous than others, but is that all there is? Some states might be more rabid about basketball and/or sports in general. And I wonder if the presence of active premium sites in some states might result in better coverage than in others.

Is one site doing a better job of covering recruiting, on the basis of the numbers of evals they're doing? I've preferred Rivals over Scout for some time, and the sheer numbers of profiles I'm seeing on Rivals in this list seem to bear that out. I mean, Rivals has 113 profiles for kids based in Texas, Scout 24. What's up with that?

I guess what I come away with my review, in addition to confirming my thoughts as Rivals to be "the one" relative to Scout, and the importance of star ratings on these two sites, but especially Scout, looks grossly overrated, with so many holes in their coverage.

state Rivals Scout
Ala 12 5
Ak 0 0
AZ 6 5
AR 8 6
BC - 0
CA 66 32
CO 0
CT 1
DE 1
DC 1
FL 20 24
GA 38 20
HI 0
ID 0
IL 24
IN 45 24
IA 3
KS 4
KY 14
LA 20
ME 0
MD 8
MS 3
MI 40 23
MN 15
MS 17
MO 10
MT 0
NE 1
NV 8
NH 3
NJ 13
NM 2
NY 20
NC 32
ND 1
OH 27
OK 2
OR 1
PA 5
RI 1
SC 2
SD 1
TN 9
TX 113 24
UT 0
VT O
VA 31
WA 3 6
WV 3
WI 12
WY 0

TOTAL 646

CDC84
10-27-2009, 12:18 PM
It's really odd that Kyle doesn't have a profile because he is getting high major interest.

BroncoZAG615
10-27-2009, 12:24 PM
The economy is absolutely killing things like Scout and Rivals. Having accounts at these places is very unnecessary, esp. when message boards like these and blogs like ours give people the gist of every article written. Thus it is a trickle down affect.

Decreased members = Less coverage. We talked with the Rivals people for some time about creating a Gonzaga site where a lot of the guys in this inland/mountain region would get coverage but when we tossed the idea around here, no one showed any interest so what's he point?

Basically what you are seeing now is sites like Scout and Rivals cater specifically to their big breadwinner which is football.

ZagNative
10-27-2009, 12:28 PM
It's really odd that Kyle doesn't have a profile because he is getting high major interest.Indeed. He has a profile in ESPN Recruit Tracker (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?page=evaluation&recruitId=101459), with a 92 Scout, Inc., rating - higher than any of our 2009 kids. I even e-mailed Jerry Meyer, urging him to profile Kyle.

Maybe the omissions aren't bothersome to Dranginis and his family, but it's aggravating to me to be paying for premium memberships on those sites and seeing important prospects who might be interested in Gonzaga not profiled.

ZagNative
10-27-2009, 12:37 PM
The economy is absolutely killing things like Scout and Rivals. Having accounts at these places is very unnecessary, esp. when message boards like these and blogs like ours give people the gist of every article written. Thus it is a trickle down affect.

Decreased members = Less coverage. We talked with the Rivals people for some time about creating a Gonzaga site where a lot of the guys in this inland/mountain region would get coverage but when we tossed the idea around here, no one showed any interest so what's he point?

Basically what you are seeing now is sites like Scout and Rivals cater specifically to their big breadwinner which is football.I have a son in the publishing business who depends on subscriptions for his living and for a number of families who depend on that business for their support. If we encourage folks to ride into the outdoor theater in the trunk of our cars instead of paying the nice man in the ticket booth, those sites will not be able to continue. I subscribe to the sites because I want the information, and it's only fair that I pay for it. I probably quote from the sites more than I should as it is. I just want to make a reasonable choice as a consumer, and to me, Rivals looks like it gives me the best bang for the buck.

BroncoZAG615
10-27-2009, 12:52 PM
I have a son in the publishing business who depends on subscriptions for his living and for a number of families who depend on that business for their support. If we encourage folks to ride into the outdoor theater in the trunk of our cars instead of paying the nice man in the ticket booth, those sites will not be able to continue. I subscribe to the sites because I want the information, and it's only fair that I pay for it. I probably quote from the sites more than I should as it is. I just want to make a reasonable choice as a consumer, and to me, Rivals looks like it gives me the best bang for the buck.

Totally agree. I subscribe as well and I think it is a great resource for college fans. Another big thing between Rivals and Scout is the overall visual appeal of the two sites. Rivals is constantly updating their platform and their site to help it be more user-friendly and Scout is stuck in the dark ages with their platform. They've made a few upgrades just to the overall sleekness of the site but when you think about the way both sites look...it's not even a contest. And that is a big thing for websites that are in the same market.

ZagNative
10-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Agreed about the clunkiness of the Scout format. Add to that the fact they have eliminated the ability to search their forums. I used to visit other schools' forums when I was bored (Phognet used to be fun and interesting, as was InsideCarolina), to see if they might have anything interesting going on that mentioned the Zags. But when Fox bought scout and they moved to some kind of goofy centralized database, they eliminated the usefulness of searches. So I don't go to those sites anymore.

It didn't just happen with the downturn of the economy. Scout has, in my opinion, been on a downward spiral for a while. Must be a discouraging environment for guys like Greg Hicks to have to operate in.

Average Joe
10-27-2009, 07:03 PM
It's really odd that Kyle doesn't have a profile because he is getting high major interest.

Yes Kyle resently got a visit at school from Notre Dame a week ago and Washington State and Oregon State keep coming to visit at school or invite him to their games and practice.

MDABE80
10-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Hard to miss Kyle. I do think the staff isn't letting dust gather. Joe is there anyone at ND Kyle knows or likes...if you know? He sounds like a pretty good kid. SOmebody else thinks so too. I bet the fellas will be having him up for a visit. ...season hasn't begun yet. Likely having him for a weekend and a game would be helpful.

Average Joe
10-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Kyle does not know anyone from Notre Dame. He asked them how they found out about him since Notre Dame is from Indiana and the coach said that they got his name from a scouting company. The assistant coach told him non of the coaches had seen him and to send some dvds. The coach said it was the first time he had ever been to Boise Idaho.