PDA

View Full Version : New Bball Field?

Akzag
04-10-2007, 05:01 PM
I know Angelo posted pics of it before the season began ... but has anybody been there for a game, and if so, could you please give your impressions ... thanks in advance.

I see that Pepp is #10 and USD is #21 currently.

MBZags
04-11-2007, 11:12 AM
I've gone for a game, and I really loved it. It's an amazing venue. It's sad that more students aren't out supporting the team like they do for basketball. The only negative about the field is that lights aren't installed yet so they've had to move night games to day games.

jbslicer
04-12-2007, 06:08 AM
It is a very nice looking complex. Nice to see green grass again.

EL MUSTACIO
04-14-2007, 12:09 PM
So, how much are tickets? I might want to catch a game this season.

cougs4ever
04-18-2007, 09:16 AM
I went to the game last night, that the Cougs won 7-4. The stadium is awesome!! No cold bleacher seats. You can sit on the hill to the side of the field if you want. From what I understand, it's all general admission seating right now, even though all the seats are numbered. We got there about 20 minutes before the first pitch and sat right behind home plate, 4 rows up. It seems they copied the theme from the MaCarthey Center; take all the great qualities of the big arenas, and put them into a smaller version. It's a great place to watch a game. Just don't park in the front row.

I got my tickets from a friend, so I don't recall the price. But I heard the PA announcer saying there was a family package for Saturday's game. It's 4 tickets, 4 sodas, 4 dogs for $25 !!

The only complaint I had was how slow the concessions workers were cooking the food. I went up for a sausage (there were about 15 on the cooker) and was told it would be 20 minutes. I got a hamburger instead. Then my girlfriend went down for a regular dog and was told the same thing. I don't know if the crowd was unusally large last night, or 20 minutes is standard cooking time on one those cookers? I know that everyone is pretty new there, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I overheard someone saying that students can use their dining cards there. That's a great idea! Wish I had that option back in the day.

Akzag
04-19-2007, 03:21 PM
... the Cougs won 7-4.

Damn ... but that brings back some good memories of Bobo, which in turn reminded me that I saw recently that Bobo (and Olerud) were being inducted into the College Baseball HOF, among others. A deserved, though belated congrats.

While the WCC is certainly holding its own in College Baseball, I still kinda miss the Pac-10 North, the "Six-Pack." Geographically, it made sense for those "northern" schools to compete against each other, being at a natural, literally, disadvantage. But allegiances to conferences make more sense, I suppose, in the long run.

Having grown up here (Anchorage), I spent more than my fair share of time watching games in the Ak. Baseball League(s). At one point, Bobo managed to add the Palouse Cougars to the league. It was mostly made up of his own players - the league later implemented a rule limiting the # of players from the same school. Olerud had two of the most dominant summers I remember up here. The next summer, he was playing for Toronto, being one of just a handful of players to have never seen a minor league pitch.

As one of my "when I make it big" dreams was to build a new ballpark for the Zags, I am glad that someone beat me to it, as they might have had a loooong wait otherwise. Now the more modest goal is to get those lights up and working ... ;)

cougs4ever
04-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Now the more modest goal is to get those lights up and working ... ;)

The lights are up and working!! Tuesdays game was the first one under the new lights. I thought it was a bright-enough park. No problems there. The game started at 6:30. I did notice that the left fielders and shortstops had trouble when the sun was just setting.