PDA

View Full Version : Kraziness is right

FuManShoes
10-25-2009, 05:33 PM
What the hell? I know it's tempting to post instant analysis after a game, but the amount of reflexive and premature declarations coming out of last night's CELEBRATORY SCRIMMAGE is bewildering. So let me get this straight: We now know, DEFINITIVELY, that Rob hasn't improved at all, Dower and Stockton can't shoot a lick, Harris is a stud, Bol is paralyized or a headcase, Bouldin is the greatest WCC player ever, Steven is MIA, Kelly, GG and Will are hustling stiffs, Hart WILL CONTRIBUTE, GJ is a lockdown defender and Meech will lead the team in 3pt %. Have I got that right? No need to play the games. We already know there are no NBA lottery picks save for Harris but the Zags WILL win a Final Four with these guys because they are scrappy. Book it. I mean it was all right out there on display in blue and red practice jereseys on a cold night in October.

roxdoc
10-25-2009, 05:46 PM
+1

BobZag
10-25-2009, 06:05 PM
It was a fun night, too!

So, Fu, if a bunch of out-of-town fans ask for opinions and impressions and how everybody looked and what the guys did, etc., please advise us on just how exactly those opinions and impressions and how everybody looked and what the guys did should be told.

75Zag
10-25-2009, 06:09 PM
I am hoping to let the doom fester for a couple more days before offering all current lower level center court GU season ticket holders the opportunity to unload their season tix for 30 cents on the dollar. After all, what's the point now that the team's dark future has been seen?

No optimism, please.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

BobZag
10-25-2009, 06:20 PM
I am hoping to let the doom fester for a couple more days before offering all current lower level center court GU season ticket holders the opportunity to unload their season tix for 30 cents on the dollar. After all, what's the point now that the team's dark future has been seen?

No optimism, please.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Nah. You want Few to play UW in Key every year, the BiS in Key, PSU in Portland, UP twice in Chiles, Oregon in Eugene, OSU in Corvallis, Willamette in Salem, Seattle U in Seattle, all every year with no return game, and GU will get half the gate revenues. No need for season tix for you, my friend.

NEC26
10-25-2009, 06:23 PM
What the hell? I know it's tempting to post instant analysis after a game, but the amount of reflexive and premature declarations coming out of last night's CELEBRATORY SCRIMMAGE is bewildering. So let me get this straight: We now know, DEFINITIVELY, that Rob hasn't improved at all, Dower and Stockton can't shoot a lick, Harris is a stud, Bol is paralyized or a headcase, Bouldin is the greatest WCC player ever, Steven is MIA, Kelly, GG and Will are hustling stiffs, Hart WILL CONTRIBUTE, GJ is a lockdown defender and Meech will lead the team in 3pt %. Have I got that right? No need to play the games. We already know there are no NBA lottery picks save for Harris but the Zags WILL win a Final Four with these guys because they are scrappy. Book it. I mean it was all right out there on display in blue and red practice jereseys on a cold night in October.

Chill out man I don't think anyone said any of those things and most tempered what they said with it was just a scrimmage or whatever. Everyone realizes what it was.

MickMick
10-25-2009, 06:23 PM
No need to get worked up. People that didn't make it to the scrimmage would certainly ask what happened (http://pilotfans.users-board.net/men-s-basketball-f5/post-scrimmage-thoughts-t2590.htm).

What do you propose following the scrimmage? A ban on all posts that describe what people saw there?

I disagree with the premise here. We are talking about opinions and observations on a message board. So what? Further, we better get conditioned to threads similar to what you are complaining about. We are about to embark into a full season of it.

Edit: I personally didn't care for some of the posts describing players as slow. Goodson and Villarino are going to make opposing guards look slow all year.

FuManShoes
10-25-2009, 06:37 PM
OK, OK, perhaps I doth protest too much. This thread was more a reaction to those excited posts that weren't so much observations but full-throated prognostications. "Based on what I saw last night, so and so will do such and such." "So and so is a stud." "So and so is a bust." "This team will get blown out ..." "This team will win it all ..." Now how can you know that? How can we know anything based on last night other than there are a bunch of new faces, some of whom shot well and looked as good as advertised and some who didn't? On any given night some guys will be studs and some will be duds, buy rarely does that forecast what they will offer long term. All I'm saying is throttle back, enjoy the ride, this is just the start. We can all agree on that. Go Zags.

http://www.cause-premature-ejaculation.com/cause-premature-ejaculation.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)

1973Zag
10-25-2009, 06:38 PM
as 1 out of towner,any updates are better than no updates. I think we all realize it was only 1 practice game,but it's a start. thanks for keeping us informed. not easy being an out of state Zag diehard this time of year!

MickMick
10-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Fu Man...I clicked on the Order Now button and nothing happened.

Link please.

FuManShoes
10-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Fu Man...I clicked on the Order Now button and nothing happened.

Link please.

Try now :)

75Zag
10-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Nah. You want Few to play UW in Key every year, the BiS in Key, PSU in Portland, UP twice in Chiles, Oregon in Eugene, OSU in Corvallis, Willamette in Salem, Seattle U in Seattle, all every year with no return game, and GU will get half the gate revenues. No need for season tix for you, my friend.

You forgot my suggestion that next year's exhibition game be an away game against the mighty Clark College Penguins here in Vancouver.

But seriously. I appreciated the first hand reports and I was actually encouraged to see a few "neutral" or even "negative" comments about certain aspects of certain players. Not because I want any GU player to be less than perfect, but because I think nobody is perfect and therefore I have little faith in (or use for) reports that all 15 players were "fantastic", etc. etc. etc. The reports that broke down each player's offensive and defensive moves were helpful.

But I don't think anybody has enough information to make useful negative (or positive) predictions on the upcoming season based solely on a scrimmage.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

P.S. - I hate PSU.

RenoZag
10-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Gee, I wonder if this thread will be banished to "The Foo" with the other "silly" threads. . .

NorthwestsFinest
10-25-2009, 06:54 PM
People who didn't make it to the scrimmage wanted to know what we saw. I think most of us even stated we could be wrong, and it was just opinion, and that being an early season scrimmage, it doesn't mean all that much. But it was just some of us putting together opinions on what we saw. No need to be a complete ###### bag.

RenoZag
10-25-2009, 06:56 PM
People who didn't make it to the scrimmage wanted to know what we saw. I think most of us even stated we could be wrong, and it was just opinion, and that being an early season scrimmage, it doesn't mean all that much. But it was just some of us putting together opinions on what we saw. No need to be a complete ###### bag.

Who are you addressing the last sentence to ?

ZagNut08
10-25-2009, 07:03 PM
I'll be honest, I was disappointed with the thread too. Not because people posted what they did, I am very appreciative of that. I am disappointed because I let the hype get to me, and I, like many fans, have unrealistic expectations for a very young team. It is likely a good step towards grounding myself and forming some realistic expectations for the team.

I am still more excited for this season than I have been in a while, I can't wait to see what all the guys bring.

RenoZag
10-25-2009, 07:12 PM
I'll be honest, I was disappointed with the thread too. Not because people posted what they did, I am very appreciative of that. I am disappointed because I let the hype get to me, and I, like many fans, have unrealistic expectations for a very young team. It is likely a good step towards grounding myself and forming some realistic expectations for the team.

I am still more excited for this season than I have been in a while, I can't wait to see what all the guys bring.

Very likely you aren't the only one who feels that way, ZagNut. And, many join you in your closing sentiment as well:

"I can't wait to see what all the guys bring."

FuManShoes
10-25-2009, 07:27 PM
OK, please lock this thread. Senior ######bag insists.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/hay-be-nice-emokitteh-is-sensitive.jpg

ZagNative
10-25-2009, 08:03 PM
I believe we can classify this thread as the "Pre-Meltdown Meltdown Scrimmage," where we all get in shape for the first real board meltdown and everybody fine tunes their roles on the flameout team.

Here we decide who sends the police to poster x's house to do a well-person call if he hasn't shown up with his hair on fire within half hour of the game end outraged, outraged I tell you, at the poor play of Player ZZZ.

Here we all learn not to get too comfortable with the rare extended silence coming out of the perpetual negative sniper, who seems never happier than at a less than stellar performance out of his current choice for this year's whipping boy (point guard preferred).

Here the contingent who claim to be fans since Jesus was a boy but never seem to miss a chance to harangue the team's performance, take on the sissy-boy pollyanas (and the odd sissy-girl), for histrionic dominance.

All-in-all, I'd say, on the basis of this thread, we have our work cut out for us to get in shape for a real flaming meltdown. Cuz this don't look like it. I'm thinking some two-a-day hysteria drills and intensified heavy name-calling workouts for the next week at least to get us toned up.

I know I'm glovin' up!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/boxing.gif

Reborn
10-25-2009, 08:28 PM
I would like to thank everyone for their posts about the game. As an out-of-towner, and one who hasn't gotten to see this years team, I was anxious to get back home tonight and read all about the game. I mean there were over 6,000 fans packed into the game to see the "new" Zags play. There must have been huge disappointment about not being able to see Kong play. It was disappointing for me to not get any feedback about him. He is certainly a player that most fans are curious about.

I was really glad to hear about Meech's play. I'm glad we now know that he CAN score, and that is really going to help this year. I felt there is genuine excitement about Harris and I am really glad to hear it. He sounds like someone who is going to excite the Zag fanbase. I was also so glad to hear about Gibbs. He's been a big question mark for many of us, and I think has been in the "least likely to succeed" category. But, in the end, it us not us, who decides playing time, and in many cases not even Mark Few. Few believes, I think, that the guys will have to prove it by their play on the court. I remember the "ink" or press clippings on Gibbs as we were after him to come to GU. One description of him stuck with me, and that was that he was tough. I think he showed that from what you all said. It was also said that he has very high basketball IQ, which I blelieved he showed. So, if most of you are right, he is going to contribute and I really feel that that is a big plus, and I am glad. I hope he stays healthy.

I also liked what I read about Poling whlich only confirmed what I believed about both he and Gibbs,,,that redshirting does help. Andy and Grant are really more like Sophomores.

I must admit that what was written about Robert was disappointing, as well as what was written about Steven. Both of these guys are going to play a lot, and for me it's great news that we have very capable backups. I was really looking more for how the backups played, and I'm happy that overall they played well.

I think Mark Few had some concerns about the "roles" that some players are assuming right now. I think it's one reason Rob may not have had more opportunities to score. Few WILL definitely have that strightened out soon. I am NOT worried about Rob or Steven, but I was glad to hear how good Poling and Harris played.

I do not believe that it will be okay for the Zags for Rob to ONLY score 4-5 points a game. I believe he needs to be around ten, or eleven. Both he and Few need to learn how to get him there, and they will. Scoring from the low post is important to basketball, and I know it's important to Mark Few. I do not want to see Rob play offensively at the level we got from Kuso. Kuso was a good player, and would have made a great back-up, but he really did not have the offensive skills to help the Zags against some of the better Divison I teams. Rob needs to get better offensively.

MickMick
10-25-2009, 08:35 PM
I believe we can classify this thread as the "Pre-Meltdown Meltdown Scrimmage," where we all get in shape for the first real board meltdown and everybody fine tunes their roles on the flameout team.

Here we decide who sends the police to poster x's house to do a well-person call if he hasn't shown up with his hair on fire within half hour of the game end outraged, outraged I tell you, at the poor play of Player ZZZ.

Here we all learn not to get too comfortable with the rare extended silence coming out of the perpetual negative sniper, who seems never happier than at a less than stellar performance out of his current choice for this year's whipping boy (point guard preferred).

Here the contingent who claim to be fans since Jesus was a boy but never seem to miss a chance to harangue the team's performance, take on the sissy-boy pollyanas (and the odd sissy-girl), for histrionic dominance.

All-in-all, I'd say, on the basis of this thread, we have our work cut out for us to get in shape for a real flaming meltdown. Cuz this don't look like it. I'm thinking some two-a-day hysteria drills and intensified heavy name-calling workouts for the next week at least to get us toned up.

I know I'm glovin' up!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/boxing.gif

Premeltdown meltdown thread. Too cool.

I'm in.

sittingon50
10-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Everyone down to & including P Maag will be a lottery pick.

Fixed.

GoZags
10-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Premeltdown meltdown thread. Too cool.

I'm in.

Doomed.

MDABE80
10-25-2009, 10:01 PM
It would be one thing if all witnesses were consistent in their opinions. They weren't. Agreements reached on 1) Matt's the leader is a good player 2) Meech is really fast...and so is GJ 3) Rob needs to get his competition chops up after a full year off but his foot looks good 4) Harris is a huge find and plays like he's further along that a frosh 5) Our redshirts should redshirt.....and a few others.

It's a whole new team with 9 new faces. Thing won't be like with the last team that went undefeated in league and went as far as the Sweet 16. Certainly the new team will be better as the season progresses.

It might even be a team that loses 10 games due to the youth and inexperience. It's what I and others have been saying . Get used to the idea.
They'll be great but most of this season will be spent in development. Don't meltdown or have all the angst.

Let's be in the "onward Christian soldiers" mode. We'll feel better. Our kids will be good/great but it'll take a while. There wasn't hype for these kids except in our minds. They're young and it'll be a majorly fancy coaching job to win the league and if so, get beyond the first weekend of the tournament. It was a silly intramural scrimmage...the first one. Hardly a final form. Let's have some fun enjoying the development of a whole new team. We're far from winning consistently.
It'll come...just not for 3 or 4 months. No worries. Onward.....

ZagNative
10-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Aw, FuMan! Now look what I've done with what I hoped might be a change of pace! Whereas we should have turned out the lights here, pulled the drapes, and pretended there was nobody home, we left the lights on just long enough for a couple of partiers from over on the Kraziness report thread to come knocking, ready to continue partying on ...:(

You know, from personal experience, I can tell you: When a thread gets away from you, there's only one thing for it ....

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3784/stakethroughtheheartsc1.gif

I should have just called you some names and spilled the beans about your mama wearing combat boots, and maybe that would have gotten the thread locked in the finest meltdown tradition.... probably too late now.

Ezag
10-25-2009, 11:42 PM
This board repeats itself every single season.

First, all the over-hype early on, then the let downs of the first few scrimmages and complaints, and finally the voice of reason who puts it all into perspective and calms everyone down....

Next, we will crush opponents in the exhibition games and the hypes starts over again with chants of "we're going to the final four". Then, we lose a big game in the Maui invitational and all the criticisms come out from how come our guards can't shoot to why don't we have an inside game to where is all the rebounding.

All these threads are funny. We have every thread from we're great to Rob Sucks to Calm down we haven't even played a game yet.....

...but we get the same posts every single year at this time.

TheZagPhish
10-25-2009, 11:59 PM
CrÍpes are top notch in my book. I do prefer savory ones, though.

Zag79
10-26-2009, 02:19 AM
the thing i find funny about this thread is that i thought the analysis from the scrimmage was very positive. for a guy like myself who thinks last years team was better than this new group will be (this season), i was impressed. besides, whats the difference if some people make a few general assumptions about people from a scrimmage when this board is full of people that will whine, complain and rip apart college hoopers come mid season based on there looks, style, and man crushes as opposed to facts and stats. :D

MickMick
10-26-2009, 05:02 AM
the thing i find funny about this thread is that i thought the analysis from the scrimmage was very positive. for a guy like myself who thinks last years team was better than this new group will be (this season), i was impressed. besides, whats the difference if some people make a few general assumptions about people from a scrimmage when this board is full of people that will whine, complain and rip apart college hoopers come mid season based on there looks, style, and man crushes as opposed to facts and stats. :D

I agree with this. I don't have problem with people making an observation backed up by what they saw on the court. The stuff about players off the court bother me a little bit, but sometimes a player brings it on himself if his off the court activity makes it into the news.

From what I have seen, there will be a discussion of how the guys played after every single game, scrimmage, or open practice. It would be very odd if there wasn't.

Reborn
10-26-2009, 07:49 AM
I have always supported open communication by the fans. The moderators decide what gets on the board for all to view. I appreciate all views accept those that are abusive. There will always be people who post here who try to tell us what we should say and what we shouldn't. Maybe they need to apply to become a moderator of this board. What makes this board so fascinating to me is all the different perspectives. I think that's the invironment that "freedom of speech" tries to create. If this board ever becomes one sided, and tries to supress the voice of "opposition" then we have surely failed to be the "best" basketball board we can be.

FuManShoes
10-26-2009, 08:26 AM
As the one who started this year's "chilling effect" thread, let me attempt to reel it back in. Repeat: observations are cool. I also appreciate the eyewitness reports. What stuck out this year were the broad pronouncements about guys we've never seen play or have barely seen play. Sure, I'll defend to the cyberdeath your right to say such things but I still maintain it's silly to seemingly read so much into a scrimmage. Maybe I misread such posts. Maybe not. Group hug?

sittingon50
10-26-2009, 10:37 AM
O.K., but should we wear masks? I haven't been vacinated.

BobZag
10-26-2009, 10:41 AM
http://media.rd.com/rd/images/rdc/toh/celebrations-2005/swedish-pancakes-01-af.jpg

cjm720
10-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Ridiculous post, FuMan. Lots of varying viewpoints from a scrimmage game that helps most rational people come up with their own conclusions.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
10-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Did you say, "Group hug?" I'm in. Peace to all. It's preseason, you all. Take a deep breath.

ZagNative
10-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Folks, lighten up on the FuMan!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/TarandFeather4.jpg

He has repeatedly tried to throw down his weapons and come out with his hands up, but some on the guboards posse have no intention of bringing him back alive.

Just my opinion, but I say enough already with the outrage. Unless, of course, you have a really cool graphic to express just how ticked you really are.

MickMick
10-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Less about Fu Man now and more about a valid topic. We see similar threads several times a year in various forms.

How far can we go in our discussions? What subjects are taboo? How credible is some of the reporting? How realistic are the expectations?

Some people hype. Some people try to tone them down. Some people criticize. Others try to criticize the critical. Some are objective. Some have an agenda. Some are here to socialize. Some are here to learn. Some are here to read. Some are here to write.

Through it all, anyone with a lick of sense can sort through it all and formulate a reasonable conclusion. The best sources are typically the moderators, BobZag, CDC, the guys from slipper still fits like BroncoZag, and people that you have identified with over time as having viewpoints similar to your own. ZagNative needs mention for her ability to dig up obscure links that we might otherwise miss.

Typically, people way off base are bombarded with reciprocal responses. The board has a natural way of self correcting.

Message boards are a dime a dozen and after time, they typically read the same. From my vantage, this board seems to be a cut above. Personal attacks seem to be kept to a minimum. On average, the people here lend interesting insight. It is one of several reasons I keep coming back.

Peace!

cjm720
10-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey FuMan, I posted before seeing your second post, for whatever it's worth....

Go Zags!!!

bballbeachbum
10-26-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm an out of towner who appreciates the reports and looks to sift thru, like Mick Mick put it. It's kind of its own fun, that part of it, once you get to know the posters. That stuff is always evolving too

And this is a great board, I agree. As an outsider, I envy the great thing you have going on at GU and Spokane. It's awesome, Coach Few personifies a lot of it in my eyes and is a good national rep for your whole area, and the men's program expresses it beautifully imo, and that finds its way here to the board and its members I think. other sports sports boards do seem to have waaaaay more bs flak flying around all the time with personal garbage, etc.

Anyway,

What I think we need are games and for the season to start, so we can start hitting somebody else :)

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!