PDA

View Full Version : Sam shooting 3's? Really?

Baldwinzag
10-25-2009, 08:28 AM
I've read all the analyis, comments, & insight from the posters whom attended Kraziness in the Kennel last night. Must say, thanks for the great reports and essentially being the "eyes" from posters afar.

However, one thing that all reported was Sam Dower shooting 3 pointers. I had to rub my eyes, read it again, and try to believe what I was reading. I'm perplexed at why I keep hearing that Dower is shooting 3's on a consistent basis in practices/scrimmages? Even if Sam has shown a knack for hitting 3's, why allow him to pull the trigger on 3's while he's still young and learning/developing his role in the system? We have plenty of 3 point shooters this year and Sam is not one of them, he's much more valuable down low. Sam's game is suited for the frontcourt and to 15 feet out, NOT floating on the perimeter -- at least not yet.

The reason this concerns me is the fact I attended 7-8 of Sam's HS games last year and I believe I saw him attempt 3 or 4 three pointers during that time. I loved Sam's HS Coach b/c when Sam got a little too comfortable floating along the perimeter or attempting a 3-pointer, his Coach would sit him on the bench and tell him where he needed to be to help himself and his team the most. This occured even when Sam made his perimter shots. That is long-term discipline he needs to learn. Dower was benched at least once a game, b/c he did have the tendency to "float" on the perimeter and shoot the long ball, yet his Coach simply wouldn't allow it.

Will our Coaches do the same or try to "experiment" with the idea Sam has a decent 3pt shot and is tall? Don't forget, Sam averaged 26 ppg and it wasn't coming from perimeter scoring. His HS Coach brought out the best in Sam and he was named 1st Team All-State as a Forward. While I did see Sam hit his 3pt shots, I'd prefer if he is taught to remain in the paint and work on his left-handed jump hook, post footwork, and smooth scoring touch under the hoop. Trust me, he's the best when he's mixing it up in the frontcourt. I would hope our Coaches break this habit early on and tell Sam he can shoot all the 3's he wants after he masters his skills in the paint.

NEC26
10-25-2009, 09:13 AM
I was confused by this as well. He shot 3 I believe and none of them were really that close. He did not make his low post shots but he did look the most comfortable underneath of all our low post players his hook shots rimmed out but it was still a solid move. I liked what I saw from him and I doubt he'll be redshirted as we'll need his presence on the court this year I believe.

applezag
10-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Having bigs that can step out and shoot is a huge advantage. Most importantly, it helps open up the middle of the floor for everyone else. Gonzaga's most successful team had two post players that shot the three very well (Dench and Calvary). It gives room to those in the post to work and space for others to drive. I don't like seeing bigs that only want to stand out there and shoot, but I also hate seeing them with the ball on the perimeter (which they will be in GU's offense--everyone ends up there at some point or another) and a defender sagging off in the paint because there is no threat. I do not see being a good outside shooter and effective post player as mutually exclusive. Calvary is probably the best example. He came to GU without a lot of skill inside and could shoot it pretty well. He developed a bunch as a post threat, but did not lose his ability to keep the defense honest.

Psychozag
10-25-2009, 10:26 AM
While I was watching, I asked the same thing. I don't know how many he shot, but I think one was fairly close. Another barely caught the rim, and one got caught in between the rim and the backboard. After this, Sam kind of shook his head a little bit as if he was saying to himself "I wish 6,000 and my coach hadn't just witnessed that". And I agree. Interesting to hear that he has had an issue with this in high school.

It's also funny how people see things differently. I didn't see a player who was comfortable being back to the basket. The couple times he got it, he looked unsure of how what to do with Rob or Andy or whoever behind him and passed it out. Of course one scrimmage doesn't mean a whole lot, but from what I saw he was definitely the player who would benefit from a redshirt year between him and Olynyk.

NEC26
10-25-2009, 11:22 AM
While I was watching, I asked the same thing. I don't know how many he shot, but I think one was fairly close. Another barely caught the rim, and one got caught in between the rim and the backboard. After this, Sam kind of shook his head a little bit as if he was saying to himself "I wish 6,000 and my coach hadn't just witnessed that". And I agree. Interesting to hear that he has had an issue with this in high school.

It's also funny how people see things differently. I didn't see a player who was comfortable being back to the basket. The couple times he got it, he looked unsure of how what to do with Rob or Andy or whoever behind him and passed it out. Of course one scrimmage doesn't mean a whole lot, but from what I saw he was definitely the player who would benefit from a redshirt year between him and Olynyk.

He had 3 shots with his back to the basket last night all hook shots. The move looked natural and smooth just didn't go in. As opposed to all our other bigs who did not seem to have a clue what to do with the ball once they had it underneath. Harris will definitely be a good player slasher / rebounder type but his game wasn't back to the basket type.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-25-2009, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock into a intrasquad scrimmage that took place after just one week of practice during his freshman year.

Zag79
10-26-2009, 12:51 AM
considering young stockton looked terrible from 3 i wouldnt put any stock into the scrimmages. they all played much more free and differently than they will in game i can guarantee that.