PDA

View Full Version : Late Night Analysis....

bigparb
10-25-2009, 01:13 AM
First off, let me say that the turnout was great, but compared to the last two years the crowd was dead......I'll put that on the student section---they were weak, no bones about it (did all the Krazies graduate last year?).....ok and having a bunch of "parents weekend" mom's and dad's who aren't passionate fans probably hurt too.....here's a thought....lets not have parents weekend THIS weekend next year......let the "die-hards" of spokane get in and get da seats......instant atmosphere improvement....

Now let's get to business....this is what stood out...

Super disappointed Kong didn't play.....all the hype and then nothing....hope he's ok physically.....

Bouldin--do I really need to say anything?? ok i will.....STUD.....got what he wanted when he wanted....wasn't forcing anything....

Gray played a little too laid back from me....he's probably feeding off Bouldin in that respect, but would have like to have see him be a bit more aggressive and put his stamp down on this team....he did show off his beautiful stroke with a couple of daggers late...

Meech is going to be soooo good. He gets to the rim whenever he wants, and my goodness, it appears someone took some good advice and put up 500 jumpers a day over the summer.....his shot looked good. His apparent natural leadership cannot be overlooked...the PG spot is in good hands.

GG looked solid and will contribute, no doubt....he was much better than he showed at last years K in da K....he was mixing it up, diving on the floor a la Pendo and showed great court savy....he stroked the ball too.....this is great to see after his shot looked so bad at last years K in da K.....

Harris--this kid is going to be a star.....PERIOD. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.....no offense.

Rob--I wanted to dismiss his performance by saying that IT IS HARD to shoot over someone 7'5"......but the truth is that he wasn't matched up with will exclusively.....my expectation has been reduced.....still should start no doubt---his size/energy are great, but I now see no more than 22-25 min----8ppg and 8rpg.....

Poling will pickup the slack and mintues though....the kid knows how to play basketball.....he may not be the most athletic or quickest, but he's skilled.....he's got a knack for finding the ball around the hoop and can stick the face up 17 ft'r.....

Kelly's lack of foot speed is a concern, but he also knows how to play the game.....will contribute....but needs to spend a lot of time in "strength shoes" and in the weight room IMO...

Manny is what I thought he is.......tough defender....can create his own offense and has the sought after "mid-range game" that makes him so tough.....nice roll player this year.....his future is bright

GJ--how could I forget about him!! Great speed---Meech type speed and very confident.....shot a lot of jumpers--hit his first 2 or 3, but went cold....also, his being a left makes him awkward to guard and enables him to get to the rim nicely......another nice guard added to the stable.

Dower---don't shoot anymore 3's....not until he spends a lot more time working on that shot.....good hands...showed a nice touch around the hoop.....does he RS...don't know.....he or Kelly IMO...

Hart--show nice stroke...
Stockton--ugly stroke and shot a lot for a walk on....but showed nice handles and BB IQ....probably will end up somewhere between Sorensen and PMAG in terms of long term contribution....though with worse shot and better handles

Zag79
10-25-2009, 03:56 AM
Now let's get to business....this is what stood out...

Super disappointed Kong didn't play.....all the hype and then nothing....hope he's ok physically.....

Bouldin--do I really need to say anything?? ok i will.....STUD.....got what he wanted when he wanted....wasn't forcing anything....

started off very slow, almost looked out of place. missed first two shots, then caught fire and was great.

Gray played a little too laid back from me....he's probably feeding off Bouldin in that respect, but would have like to have see him be a bit more aggressive and put his stamp down on this team....he did show off his beautiful stroke with a couple of daggers late...

agreed. would like to see him drive more too. but showed that sweet shot that will have many big instances this year.

Meech is going to be soooo good. He gets to the rim whenever he wants, and my goodness, it appears someone took some good advice and put up 500 jumpers a day over the summer.....his shot looked good. His apparent natural leadership cannot be overlooked...the PG spot is in good hands.

meech was possibly the best player out there. he could get to the hole anytime he wanted, and showed off a new long range shot. looked faster than any player we have had, but under control. nice passes, and d was in your grill.

GG looked solid and will contribute, no doubt....he was much better than he showed at last years K in da K....he was mixing it up, diving on the floor a la Pendo and showed great court savy....he stroked the ball too.....this is great to see after his shot looked so bad at last years K in da K.....

nice stroke, hustles, and will be a typical zag. a little slow, but great court awareness makes up for it.

Harris--this kid is going to be a star.....PERIOD. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.....no offense.

STUD. nba, not a long shot. this dude can fly! two sick oops, a nasty block, great handles for his size. favorite new comer, almost dominant at times.

Rob--I wanted to dismiss his performance by saying that IT IS HARD to shoot over someone 7'5"......but the truth is that he wasn't matched up with will exclusively.....my expectation has been reduced.....still should start no doubt---his size/energy are great, but I now see no more than 22-25 min----8ppg and 8rpg.....

not close to heytvelt yet people. not very assertive on the block, muss less offensive set to work with, good rebounder. if he can establish his O, watch out.

Poling will pickup the slack and mintues though....the kid knows how to play basketball.....he may not be the most athletic or quickest, but he's skilled.....he's got a knack for finding the ball around the hoop and can stick the face up 17 ft'r.....

he reminds me of a skinny mallon. couple nice plays on on O, but still raw. he can contribute but in rebounding and garbage points.

Kelly's lack of foot speed is a concern, but he also knows how to play the game.....will contribute....but needs to spend a lot of time in "strength shoes" and in the weight room IMO...

looks very slow, but then just gets to the ball. i liked his hustle, had a nice floater and turn around on O, and has the knack of mixing it up.

Manny is what I thought he is.......tough defender....can create his own offense and has the sought after "mid-range game" that makes him so tough.....nice roll player this year.....his future is bright

scrappy, slasher, jumper, reminds me of lg in some ways. great defense, athletic as heck. nice step back jumper, not afraid to shoot.

GJ--how could I forget about him!! Great speed---Meech type speed and very confident.....shot a lot of jumpers--hit his first 2 or 3, but went cold....also, his being a left makes him awkward to guard and enables him to get to the rim nicely......another nice guard added to the stable.

great handles, as fast as meech almost, nice passing, and very sure in himself to shoot from deep or get to the hole with silky moves. d was tight, him and meech could shut down opposing guards. i smell a trap coming! him and harris impressed me by far more than anyone else.

Dower---don't shoot anymore 3's....not until he spends a lot more time working on that shot.....good hands...showed a nice touch around the hoop.....does he RS...don't know.....he or Kelly IMO...

ugly shot from more than 8 ft out, but very strong inside. rebounds well, another athleic jumper to help with the hustle and d.

Hart--show nice stroke...

surprisingly good. i liked how he shot the 3 ball, and wasnt afraid to play. he could have his moments, maybe a little better overall than sorenson?

Stockton--ugly stroke and shot a lot for a walk on....but showed nice handles and BB IQ....probably will end up somewhere between Sorensen and PMAG in terms of long term contribution....though with worse shot and better handles

not impressed, i know give him time. but didnt really fit in other than his handles. shot was not very smooth, and would have a hard time against bigger defenders. nice hustle, court awareness, but GJ and meech could do whatever they wanted.

overall, this team impressed me greatly. much deeper than i thought, and some new players that will be our best players on some nights. Gj and harris were filthy good. much better play at the moment than ive seen in kick off events before. this season, a s16 wouldnt shock me if the leadership and chemistry keeps going.

JAGzag
10-25-2009, 05:09 AM
Disappointing to hear about big Rob. There was a lot on this board about his improvement this summer, but sounds like he's where he left off last year. How can someone who is that big struggle to find offense?

ZagDaddy
10-25-2009, 06:07 AM
I too was hoping to hear that Rob has developed a low block game. The team has lacked that since J.P. graduated but Rob is no J.P. That being said, it isn't fair for me to wish he were.

The other thing the team has lacked is a banger. Someone who can move opposing players around on defense, clog the middle and clean the glass. If he can do those things and pick up some garbage points I'll be happy. Gonzaga teams have never struggled to manufacture points.

Zag79
10-26-2009, 12:43 AM
i dont think rebounding will be an issue, this group looks hungry on the boards. i was really impressed with dower, arop, and poling on the glass just to name a few. im not saying rob will be a let down in the scoring dept by any means. he still has nice moves, and is aggressive, just dont think he'll be "better than josh" by any means as some thought.

JohnOGU
10-26-2009, 11:38 AM
First off, let me say that the turnout was great, but compared to the last two years the crowd was dead......I'll put that on the student section---they were weak, no bones about it (did all the Krazies graduate last year?)

I graduated last year, and i can tell you that over the years at Gonzaga, the student section has lost a lot of true zag basketball fans, and basketball fans in general for that matter, to a lot of underclassmen who only know that when the ball goes in the hoop on our end, its a good thing. Fans that know little to nothing about basketball in general. Just an observation on my end. Granted, this was an open invitation to the public...

Zag79
10-27-2009, 11:09 PM
i thought the KC was pretty good for a scrimmage actually. the thing that always sends me the most is the average joes that complain about getting tix all the time to us season tix holders, and then i watch them come in and just sit there. your not at home, you wanted to come to k2, yell, cheer, clap! lol. you know how many people i saw sitting and not participating during zombie nation even? thats the staple of getting the whole crowd up and loud, and even that didnt work for many of the "free" viewers. either way, it was just a scrimmage and im sure when wake is in town it will be electric like every big game in k2.

Zag365
10-28-2009, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=Zag79;471563]i thought the KC was pretty good for a scrimmage actually. QUOTE]

Agree and would add that the pep band, cheerleaders, etc. did a good job under the circumstances. It was a unique atmosphere. Wasn't us vs. them -- and some players even alternated btw the blue and red squads. The crowd was muted because it was a scrimmage and we were there to eyeball the newbies and study the team, not to cheer the Zags to victory over the Zags. The crowd didn't get fired up because, well, you couldn't. We were conflicted each time down at each end (do we want to see a stop? or a score?). You just watched and hoped that both offense and defense played great at the same time. Also the game, as many have said, didn't have a lot of electric moments. If there had been more spectacular plays (3-balls, alley oops, or dunks), especially at the start, I think the crowd would have been more demonstrative.