PDA

View Full Version : The Unofficial Official Kraziness in the Kennel Recap Thread

Akzag
10-24-2009, 02:48 PM
For all of us out-of towners that are dying to hear what you saw, what you thought, etc., please accept our humble gratitiude for all of your impressions on Saturday's Kraziness In the Kennel (KiK).

Now, dang it, hurry up ... we're dying here ....

What? Nobody has an iPhone?

RenoZag
10-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Looking for dispatches from the MAC. . .thread "pinned' temporarily for easier access to you mobile device posters. . .

zagsdan86
10-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Nearly full about 35 minutes before 5:00.

EDIT: standing room only now @ 4:45.

gu03alum
10-24-2009, 04:08 PM
I couldn't get in. Sign says sold out. Darn you fall family weekend.

Angelo Roncalli
10-24-2009, 05:35 PM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs276.snc1/10322_293397110458_638055458_9401365_3070012_n.jpg

Akzag
10-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks Angelo ... anticipation ...

BroncoZAG615
10-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Kong in street clothes, I'm assuming it's injury related.

Apparently there has been two oops from Bouldin to Elias Harris.

CarolinaZagFan
10-24-2009, 06:03 PM
?? I'm not buying that for a second... Bol Kong is incapable of being injured.

bigblahla
10-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Harris is real good.

Gibbs will get minutes or the basketball gods are unjust. Great hustle all over the court, offense, defense, passing, good show Grant.

Kelly also gets a wow for hustle and just darn good court sense. Manny, Sam and GJ are all players. the cupboard is full Zaggies.

David Stockton held his own and then some.

Returning cast well, Matt is the man, Robert is really mobile and Andy will be a big help. Will has improved.

Others will have their opinions but to me Grant, Kelly and Manny on the court at the same time not many teams will out work them.

Go !! Zags !!!

Zag509
10-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Manny: has a knack for scoring, dribbles a little funny....but gets the ball in the hole

Bouldin: was not overly agressive...scored plenty when he wanted tho

Dower: shot looked awful, looks tough tho and showed hustle

Will: looked ok, not great hands, played solid d and had one nice finnish

Grant: looked awsome, dropped a few 3s and was always on the floor, great hustle, i thought he played really well

Meech: ran the show, hit a few long (near 3) jumpers, looks ready to be the guy

Steve: hit a few shots, didnt seem to feel the need to do much

Harris: really athletic, really strong. game not all that polished yet, but has some impressive raw ability

Stockton: i thought he looked really poor. missed a ton of shots and had several TOs. got a lot of time though.

Andy: mr hustle, fight hard, had a few nice shots outside, skilled and hardworking

Rob: offense still looks very very raw. i dont think he made a basket all night. hit the boards really well tho...and definetly one of the leaders out there

GJ: very impressive. shot well and had a few nice drives....should challenge meech in every way

RenoZag
10-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the reports. . .keep 'em coming !

BroncoZAG615
10-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Found this little video on youtube while trying to find info on Kraziness. Just some intros but it's good stuff:

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/10/24/1099503/player-introductions-from-tonights

Postplayer57
10-24-2009, 07:12 PM
With the kids playing together for less than two weeks, at times it got a little ragged. I want to say I was'nt satisfied , while at the same time, I saw things tonight that I loved. Matt showed a nice shooting touch , Meech & G.J.were a couple of jets. Gibbs 'hit a couple of nice threes and his passes were things of beauty.Steven has the ability to shoot out the lights, but if he stumbles, could drop a couple slots in the depth chart in a hurry. Rob had a nice touch at the charity stripe, while Will acts as if he really wants to play some this year. Poling,Dower, & Kelly showed some nice offensive moves , and this Hart kid is definitely not chopped liver. David Stockton did not look at all overmatched, and pencil this in, I 'think he'll start as a Senior,if not before? Frankly I think we'll get lit up a few times early in the season, but
in the end this group of kids WILL win it all. Every single scholarship player
made me think they will help , all in all, I was impressed. But we'll have to be patient, I think it will be after the Holidays before they hit their stride. Also the Pep Band and Kennel Club showed signs of great improvement also. It was a fun night and its only the beginning.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-24-2009, 07:31 PM
One thing stood out for me -- Elias Harris is really really good. He's athletic, efficient with his footwork, plays hard, and has good fundamentals. Manny Arop can play right now too

MDABE80
10-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Thsnx for the pic Angelo. I wonder if anyone recorded the whole game. I couldn't get in. My friends thought it wouldn't be a problem but with parents day, I guess it was stuffed.

The509sfinest
10-24-2009, 07:35 PM
i was really impressed by arrop. not much by elias i wanted to see more. really dissopointed that kong didnt play. and yeah foster wants playing time for sure he did well acctually. and hes a funny guy to when i got my things signed.i had a pretty decent chat with all the players when i got both my iphone and poster signed by the team. haha steven said he grew out his hair cuz he wuz to lazy to shave and stuff lol :P

The509sfinest
10-24-2009, 07:36 PM
i was really impressed by arrop. not much by elias i wanted to see more. really dissopointed that kong didnt play. and yeah foster wants playing time for sure he did well acctually. and hes a funny guy to when i got my things signed.i had a pretty decent chat with all the players when i got both my iphone and poster signed by the team. haha steven said he grew out his hair cuz he wuz to lazy to shave and stuff lol :P

oh and hart said he wuz jealous of my phone lol and bouldin was upset because by the time i got to him most of the room on my phone wuz gone lol so he only signed his initials. oh and i did record some of the game but i left my cam corder at my friends so i will get it tomarrow so u guys can see

Fonebone
10-24-2009, 07:58 PM
I tought that Harris was very impressive. He looks really solid.

Gonezagaga
10-24-2009, 07:58 PM
I liked Grant Gibbs-He reminded of a cross between Matt and Pendo-very heady player and always on the floor hustling-nice looking 3pt stroke

I liked Elias Harris- Worked very hard for rebounding position-quick moves for a post-very very good hops

I liked Andy Poling-knew where to be-good rebound positioning -sweet looking 15 ft jumper

I liked GJ Vilarino-very very very very quick-good handles- Meech clone

I liked Mangisto Arop-so smooth-soft touch-willing to play a mid range game

I was concentrating on the new players and these were the things that stuck in my mind from the scrimmage tonight. The Zags are gonna be good this year. Maybe not early, but by league season they should be pretty tough.

NorthwestsFinest
10-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Here is what I got out of it..

Stockton: Sneaky little guy, but not D1 material yet. Hope we continues to improve, no reason why not.

Meech: Definitely looks like the veteran out there. Very, very impressed. Excited he's our Point guard for the next 3 years.

GJ- Agressive, athletic, quick, good defense, D1 ready, but still pretty raw offensively, shot a lot of jumpers, none of which went in. Terrible free throw shooter, although I hope that changes. I think he was 1 for 4!

Gray: Didn't look quite right out there.. But I'm not worried about him at all. should be fine.

Bouldin: Definitely our best player, and a leader out there. He's so damn good and I love it!

Manny: Didn't take many shots, but he's ready to play now.

Gibbs: I think he's gonna get some good minutes. I liked him. Good shot, and his hustle is outstanding. A few turn overs, but he IS Gonzaga basketball.

Kelly: not impressed, but it's early and was a scrimmage, I'm sure he'll be fine.. Didn't really do anything though. seems pretty slow and not too athletic.

Big Rob: Still not great offensively, but he was agressive and was physically dominating down low.

Harris: He's absolutely ready. He goes up, gets the ball, and throws it down. Very excited to see him play. So athletic.

Poling: Didn't get to see too much of him, but I think he'll get minutes.

Dower: Isn't afraid to take the outside shot, but it looks terrible.. I think he should red shirted, no question. isn't very athletic looking either.

Big Will: He's got a little swagger!! But overall, doesn't seem too much better than last year. Until we see him in an actual game, Who knows?

These are just my opinions on the guys this year. You may disagree, and I may be totally wrong. Again, not being a real game, it is hard to tell. These are just some first impressions I got.

CDC84
10-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Few interview:

http://www.krem.com/video/featured-index.html?nvid=409535

Bouldin interview:

http://www.krem.com/video/featured-index.html?nvid=409536

titopoet
10-24-2009, 08:16 PM
I thought they look as your would expect, ragged. Really bad spacing, which caused too congestion in the lane. Yoo many times the youngsters went one on one instead of staying within the system.

One thing that bugged me about Matt was how he kept feeding the post with bounce passes. The bigs need the ball higher. Both Will and Rob would have had easier shots if he feed them high instead of bounce pass. They both finished better when Meech fed them high.

TheZagPhish
10-24-2009, 08:26 PM
I love everybody, that's no secret, so I'll shelve the watch-check inducing review. We've got growth and flow in front of us but in the meantime, as BZ has succinctly stated, we're brimming with raw talent & skill.

My takeaways -

- This group shared the ball well
- GJ is a habanero
- Meech is a real leader
- Handling needs some work
- Bouldin is gravity
- Robert is a Baryshnikov tank
- Turnovers: Bane of the young team (At the outset, Few told the crowd something to the effect of, "We'll see if we can do this without too many TURNOVERS.")
- Gray, Foster: In the fine Zag hair tradition.
- Gibbs will get on the floor
- This will be a fun - if unpredictable - ride for sure!

CDC84
10-24-2009, 08:27 PM
I would imagine that the freshmen were filled with a lot of nerves.

I don't have any worries about Olynyk's athleticism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RYfHUkEmG0

chieftain
10-24-2009, 08:32 PM
I hate to say it but...we may have to look a couple seasons forward. Granted, it is scrimmage. But, with a young team it will take a bit of time. That's what the game is about: being a true fan and not giving your guys support.

Kiddwell
10-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Anybody hear why Kong wasn't suited up?

:]

btzag
10-24-2009, 08:45 PM
hmmm, so Kong doesn't suit up, Rob looks like a liability offensively, Dower is a definite red-shirt, and Harris is kinda raw...? Yikes we are definitely doomed!

Love these threads and the analysis but come on...the fact that Gray obviously did not impress tells me that we should take every analysis with a grain of salt, though I do thank you all for the reports! That exhibition game will be telling as to rotation minutes and give us a better idea on what to expect this year.

ZagNative
10-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Experimented with my son's camera tonight .... I am going back to my old digital Olympus with optical zoom, since the digital zoom on my son's camera took awful pics of the players.

I had a great time! It was so good to be there again. The band was just terrific, and the Kennel Club was good, too. But do you suppose having Mom and Dad in town might have put a crimp in some of the prefunction functions? Zombie Nation seemed maybe a tad quieter than I've seen it.

Anyway, here are some pics:

Kennel Club before the start of the scrimmage, with maybe half hour still to go, I realized the folks who didn't get there early this year were out of luck. The joint was packed!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Misc/2009%20Kraziness%20in%20the%20Kennel/2009KrazinessintheKenne004small.jpg

The band was really fun! The best I've heard them!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Misc/2009%20Kraziness%20in%20the%20Kennel/2009KrazinessintheKenne002small.jpg

Crowd across from the Kennel Club, packed in to the rafters:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Misc/2009%20Kraziness%20in%20the%20Kennel/2009KrazinessintheKenne006small.jpg

Good natured souls in standing-room-only area behind us:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Misc/2009%20Kraziness%20in%20the%20Kennel/2009KrazinessintheKenne005small.jpg

Poor-quality pics of players to follow in next post.

ZagNative
10-24-2009, 09:07 PM
No trouble picking out big Will ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Misc/2009%20Kraziness%20in%20the%20Kennel/2009KrazinessintheKenne007small.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Misc/2009%20Kraziness%20in%20the%20Kennel/2009KrazinessintheKenne010small.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Misc/2009%20Kraziness%20in%20the%20Kennel/2009KrazinessintheKenne023smal.jpg

loyalviking
10-24-2009, 09:08 PM
These things are so hard to judge talent wise just because of the mere fact they are playing against the best team in the WCC, themselves. They may really shine against other teams when they are playing with one another instead of against one another.

My impressions tonight were:

Sacre: Good on the defensive boards, still very mechanical/robotic offensively. Big and strong, should live on the foul line where he shot well if my recollection is correct.

Arop: He will be very good in time. Gets to the basket well and knows how to use his body inside. Good hops and defensively picked Gibbs clean on one play and ended up with the dunk at the other end.

Meech: STUD! He pushes the ball up the floor so fast and finishes or dishes to a trailer coming for a shot. He will be a threat from outside if left open as well which was a very pleasant suprise. His jumpshot looked very good. Beeming with confidence.

Vilarino: This guy is good, and super fast. His outside shot needs alot of help as I don't think he made one, but boy can he get to the basket and hang in the air. He can really jump. He will play alot this season. Needs to work on his foul shooting as he gets fouled alot with his strong moves to the basket.

Gibbs: He seems slow, but he is on the floor after all loose balls and knocked down a couple of threes. He will definitely see minutes. Too slow IMO to run the point all though, definitely more of a two guard.

Stockton: Quick, smart, and got some of dads mean streak, but couldn't throw a rock in the ocean tonight. He missed a ton of shots, but will be a player on the floor in the future. Redshirt will help.

Olynyk: Looked a bit slow and his shot was not going, but showed flashes of what could be in the future. Battles for boards and loose balls. Could use a redshirt year if you base it off of this scrimmage alone. No where near the Daye comparisons that I have heard or read IMO, at least not at this point.

Poling: He is a battler and has a very nice stroke out to 17 feet. Was stuck guarding Sacre and Foster most of the time he played and he is just simply outweighed and struggled a couple of times. I could see him playing some 4 behind Harris though and contributing quite well.

Bouldin: He is the MAN! He is the leader and he gets what he wants when he wants it. He looked good as you would expect.

Harris: I love this guy already! He is crafty around the basket going for offensive rebounds, he runs the floor for a 4 extremely well, shot well out to 15 feet, has a good turn and face up shot, and dunks whenever he has the opportunity. His back to the basket game could improve and I am sure will. Had a nice over the top oop! from Bouldin.

Hart: I think he could and will contribute in some capacity. He is not flashy, but seems to have good fundamentals.

Gray: I think Steven will have a very good year. He showed he can handle the ball very well, looked quicker to me, gets to the basket, and makes his share of 3's. He is very good at going to the basket when he wants too. Felt like he and Bouldin were both trying not to do to much, maybe holding back a little. Definitely a starter and all WCC, no question. Great hair too!

Kong: At least we saw that Bol Kong does exist. Don't know if this Bol Kong can play basketball yet though.

Dower: He will be a good one. He is strong and finishes very high with his left handed hook shot. He struggled with his outside straight away 3's tonight as they were not even close. If he does redshirt he will be a man child next season.

Foster: Will looked like Will except in the fact that he actually smiled and looked like he wanted to be out there a couple of times. He had a couple of nice finishes and a swat and stare down on Meech. Noticed he had a much better shot from the free throw line as well...shoots the one handed soft shot.

I walked away feeling really good about the guard play and a bit concerned about the inside play offensively. Again that could be based on there are quite a few big guys that are really good and they make it tough on each other, or the fact they are young and still not real good finishers at this level yet. With that said, I think they will run alot this year. Lots of talent, but very young and inexperienced. Will see how fast coach Few can get them up to speed.

Again, JMO.

JLGutrocks
10-24-2009, 09:10 PM
I thought it was a great scrimmage given how raw this team is. SOme of the posters here chose to focus on the negatives. Yes. what they say is right. No argument. but....There were so many things to look forward to. All of the newcomers showed a flash of what they will eventually bring.

Villarino can bring it with speed, athletetcism, and drive. Visions of larry when he landed on his back?

Gibbs is a scrapper. The guy showed heart, desire, and a willingness to take on anyone. he is a lunchboxer who has the finesse and vision to be a playa.

Sam needs some polishing but he will be a big who must be respected from 3 range in the future.

Harris is the real deal. Mark my words he will be our starting 4. 2 oops from bouldin and lots of tenacity. he's ready.

Manny showed at times what he will bring and at times that he needs experience. he'll get it and be a star.

Olynyk (sp?) also showed great hustle and desire. This kid as has been said may truley work out to be it someday.

Stockton? the kid's coordination looks so similar to dad"s. He has good court vision and showed no fear with taking the shot. It will come in time. He harassed opposition and held his own so much more than I expected. He was my surprise.

Poling is solid and will show us why he was rated so high when we originally recruited him.

Veteran play? We know what they will bring.

It was fun. Wasn't it Random?

JL

TheZagPhish
10-24-2009, 09:21 PM
I thought it was a great scrimmage given how raw this team is. SOme of the posters here chose to focus on the negatives. Yes. what they say is right. No argument. but....There were so many things to look forward to. All of the newcomers showed a flash of what they will eventually bring.

Villarino can bring it with speed, athletetcism, and drive. Visions of larry when he landed on his back?

Gibbs is a scrapper. The guy showed heart, desire, and a willingness to take on anyone. he is a lunchboxer who has the finesse and vision to be a playa.

Sam needs some polishing but he will be a big who must be respected from 3 range in the future.

Harris is the real deal. Mark my words he will be our starting 4. 2 oops from bouldin and lots of tenacity. he's ready.

Manny showed at times what he will bring and at times that he needs experience. he'll get it and be a star.

Olynyk (sp?) also showed great hustle and desire. This kid as has been said may truley work out to be it someday.

Stockton? the kid's coordination looks so similar to dad"s. He has good court vision and showed no fear with taking the shot. It will come in time. He harassed opposition and held his own so much more than I expected. He was my surprise.

Poling is solid and will show us why he was rated so high when we originally recruited him.

Veteran play? We know what they will bring.

It was fun. Wasn't it Random?

JL

+1

mendiant
10-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Ya'll would make LOUSY coaches!!!

Love my Zags but this is a rough and young team....

turnovers...ridiculous...

free throw shooting...dismal...

rebounds...sloppy and spotty.

why so many 3 attempts?

Assists, well thought but not well anticipated...

Don't get me wrong, there were pretty moments.

won't tell you...

But as unofficial stylist to the ZAGS I must say...

Zag hair is back...

OH MY STEVEN...beautiful fro!!! as well as the nice facial hair...stunning.

WILLIAM!!! Zag hair if ever there was some...put Matt to shame with that hair and beard.

Robert was close cropped and sporting some tats from...(I think it's American Tattoos) on Monroe...I work with a gal who knows the owner...Robert reps well...style-wise and as a leader on the court.

David had a seriously Stocktonesque grin as he was the first introduced on the floor...reminded me of the night John broke the GSL assist record in the old Coliseum...big grin, happy just to be there...very sweet.

Matt and Meech are the leaders this year...

point guard u...

I am so excited about this year I can't stand it!!!

Many new faces to learn to know and love...

Go Zags!!!

Love you guys...

Play, learn, love...

Basketball is only part of this experience...

blessings to you all...

love,
mendiant

Zerogame
10-24-2009, 09:47 PM
I don't have the eye to discern talent like I suspect a few of you do. Having said that, David Stockton got open time and time again, wide open! I don't know why or how he accomplished that, but he did. He had no choice but to take the shot. Unfortunatley they weren't dropping.
I was also impressed with his hustle and speed. I think he has a future.

Matt looked real good as expected. Looks like a lot of interchangable parts. This could be a fun ride.

Also met NotoriousZ in the autograph line. Nice guy.

Zagalicious
10-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Fun to see the 'new crew' but overall I thought it was a very boring event. No Kraziness at all, crowd dead and quiet except for the first 5 mins of intro. Nothing like last years event. There was so much hype and advertisement (no less than three postcards in the mail). People were leaving halfway thru the 3rd period. Gettin' pumped for Nov 02 though!

MickMick
10-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Just got home from the Kennel (two hour drive and a meal stop). I intentionally didn't read any posts so that my impressions would not be influenced. After posting this I will go back and gather the impressions of others and see how they differ.

My take:

MVPs:

Demetri Goodson- The Zags can hang their hat on this guy. Hit shots from the outside. Distributed the ball with ease. Speed and handles were a mismatch for all that faced him. Outstanding performance. The Zags are in good hands.

Elias Harris- Someone remind me that he is a freshman. Does he really have four years of eligibility? Wow....just wow. I can't imagine how good he will be in four years. If we can keep him in a Zag uniform that long. Oh my Gawd.

Solid/made their presence felt:

Grant Gibbs- Very Pendo like. In the middle of every scrum. Diving for loose balls. Seemed to be in the middle of everything. Hit some shots. Solid performance. Few has got to find a way to get him on the court.

Matt Bouldin. The typical Bouldin we have become accustomed to. Missed a couple early, then settled in. The same guy we remember from last season.

Showed flashes but didn't really stand out:

Steven Gray- Missed some shots. Didn't really stand out. So so performance.

Mangisto Arop- Except for a few spurts in the third period (where he looked very, very good), you wouldn't have even known he was there.

GJ Villarino- The potential shows, but Goodson clearly outshined him.

Kelly Olynick- Not bad. Mixed it up a little, but didn't really show off the skill set he is known for. Didn't play that bad for a freshman.

Andy Poling-Did fairly well defending against Sacre. Hit a couple of shots. I think he is capable of playing better on the offensive end.

Will Foster-Swatted away a ball or two. Got a few put backs. Looks like he has improved a little.

Sam Dower- Seemed to float to the perimeter a little too much for my liking. Smooth player though. Glides down the court. Isn't afraid to bang around for a rebound.

A little dissapointing:

Rob Sacre-I just don't think he is going to factor in much on the offensive end. He gives good effort, but his offensive skills look like they haven't changed much. We still need his inside presence, but I think Harris will be the guy that scores inside. I was expecting more.

-----------------------------------------------

I was surprised with the play of Stockton. He can't weigh more than 150 pounds. He has the boyish features of a 15 year old. His shots were not falling. Goodson blew by him at will.

But........I was definitley surprised by his handles, passing, and poise. This kid is very capable of quarterbacking a D1 offense. He did not look overwhelmed at all. Considering his size relative to the players he matched up with, he accounted for himself quite well.

He needs a ton of work on defense though.

ZagNative
10-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Lots of nice stuff up now on the KREM 2 website. They sure do a nice job! Thanks, fellas!

Main page is here. (http://www.krem.com/sports/gu/stories//krem2-102409-kennelkraziness.24c80fb9d.html) It has links for interviews with Mark Few, Matt Bouldin, Steven Gray, and ...

Elias Harris! Very well-spoken young man, especially considering he's not speaking in his native tongue, mature and poised, and blown away that 6,000 people would show up for a 30-minute scrimage. Interview Link (http://www.krem.com/video/featured-index.html?nvid=409538).

Elias definitely my favorite newcomer!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Harris/2009-10-24EliasHarrisKrazinessinthe.jpg

mendiant
10-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Oh my!!

Thanks for that pic ZN!!!

Helps me fall in love with my new team....

What a cutie!

Yeah, you "others" blow...real fans love their zags, with reason...including "cutiness"

bite me,

love,
mendiant

ZagNative
10-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Mendiant, we agree. It does not hurt one bit to have a tad of the glam thing going on teamwise. Following a fine tradition of great-looking Zags ... from Matty B's interview ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Matt%20Bouldin/2009-10-24MattBouldinKrazinessinthe.jpg

Read 'em and weep, lady fans of other teams. We got it covered in Spokane!

ZagNative
10-24-2009, 11:25 PM
Meehan's got his story up in the Spokesman-Review (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/oct/24/fans-fill-mac-watch-zags-debut/).
Freshman forward Elias Harris on Saturday night became a big fan of Gonzaga’s crowd.

“Blew me away completely,” the German native said of a standing-room-only gathering of 6,000-plus that filled the McCarthey Athletic Center to watch the GU men’s basketball team scrimmage as part of Kraziness in the Kennel festivities. “I didn’t think so many people would show up just for a scrimmage. In Europe that’s not normal. It’s amazing, a great feeling, great fans and a great atmosphere.”

The sight of so many Bulldogs fans, hundreds standing two- and three-deep in the upper concourse, underscored their interest and curiosity levels in the 2009-2010 team, which has nine freshmen and essentially 10 newcomers.

“The fact that it was packed to the rafters for a scrimmage on a Saturday says a lot about our fans and the community,” head coach Mark Few said. “It was probably the most impressive part of the day.”
The 6-foot-7, 215-pound Harris had a solid debut. He scored 14 points, finishing off two dunks on nifty passes from senior guard Matt Bouldin. Freshmen G.J. Vilarino, Mangisto Arop and Sam Dower also had some nice stretches.

“We see (Harris’s) athleticism every day at practice,” said Bouldin, who scored 14 points. “But it’s different getting out and playing with him. You start to get the hang of each other in practice and it was nice for him to showcase a little of what he can do.”

The newcomers certainly weren’t bashful at the offensive end.

“They probably need to tone it down a hair, especially early in the (shot) clock,” Few said. “But I’ve been after these guys to be a little more assertive because we lost so much offense from last year’s team. And some of these guys have shot the ball considerably better than they did tonight with the lights and the crowd.”

Few is asking for more offensive initiative from his veterans. Sophomore point guard Demetri ‘Meech’ Goodson popped in a couple of jumpers and used his speed to score on drives and in transition. He finished with 13 points. Redshirt freshman wing Grant Gibbs hit a 3-pointer and a high-arcing scoop shot, as he was being fouled, that eluded defender Robert Sacre’s outstretched arm. Gibbs completed the three-point play.

“I want Meech to pull up and shoot the jumper and hunt shots more,” Few said. “He’s got a good shot, (but) he’s always just drove on people.”
I bolded the sentence I found especially interesting and worth keeping in mind.

More in Jim's blog here. (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/oct/24/fans-fill-mac-watch-zags-debut/)

Nevtelen
10-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Also of note from Meehan:

Sacre didn’t have a field goal, but he did make four free throws. “He’s had a lot better fall than he’s shown in our last two scrimmages,” Few said. “We need to get that figured out.”

MickMick
10-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Over the next couple of weeks, Few said he’ll concentrate on “role identification. We’ve got to start playing to our strengths. We need to communicate that to them. We need to shore up the rebounding, that’s going to be a big key for us, and cut down on turnovers.”

Damn that Few is a smart guy.

Role players playing within their specific roles. Maximizing player strengths and minimizing their weaknesses.

I don't care what team sport it is, this method works. And I believe an inability to accept certain roles was a problem for a very gifted Gonzaga team last season. My hope is that this year's team will completely buy into their roles.

Rebounders rebound, scorers score, passers pass, ball handlers dribble. It doesn't get any simpler than that. Certainly a player needs to be versatile enough to do more than one thing. But, too many people want players to be "do everything" guys. The problem is that most guys can't do everything or there are other players on the team that can do it better. I love how Few embraces this concept. I wish more players would as well.

NEC26
10-25-2009, 12:33 AM
I am not being pessimistic nor am I going to base my whole opinion on a scrimmage but we will have issues inside I think. Not necessarily on defense because Rob does a good job using his body to keep guys out of the paint but we will struggle to score inside. We simply do not have anyone besides possibly Elias who can score at all down there. I would expect Rob to average around 5 6 points this year he simply does not have a lot of skill on the offensive end.
On the plus side our guards will be very good this year Meech looks fantastic Bouldin is a stud and I am hoping Gray will get a fire going when its time. Vilarino is very good, he will definitely get some playing time this year. Good handle can create on his own and finish and is not afraid to take a shot thats for sure. Grant Gibbs played well too he can hit the three is a scrappy player and I believe he also will get some minutes as well.
While its early and you cant base too much off one scrimmage I will be happy if we can get another WCC title this year. To expect a sweet sixteen or beyond is probably a bit unrealistic. You never know how much players can improve though and I cant wait to watch these guys this year!

Ezag
10-25-2009, 12:49 AM
I agree with most of the posts and I hate to beat up on Rob but I think the injury time really took its toll on him. Not having had much development time in real game situations these past couple of seasons is going to cost him. He will not be in our top 5 scoring, that's for sure.

Having been behind Heytvelt didn't do him any favors also since Josh was not really a down low guy so there is nothing there to teach. Rob offensively is just too raw. Glad he spent time with Casey Calvary during the summer to toughen up but he really needed a guy like Batista who was probably the best post player we have ever had.

Luckily we should have plenty of scoring with the rest of the crew so Rob can just collect boards, score a few points and play D.

zagamatic
10-25-2009, 02:14 AM
Matt and Steven did what I suspect they were asked to do and that is not disappoint the crowd and score when they had an obvious time to, but get the rest of the team involved. They should be solid for us this year.
Meech, supposedly has a suspect offensive game outside of driving to the hoop, he put that to rest in my opinion tonight in the first few possessions. Make no mistake about it, he IS our POINT guard!
Gibbs will be the first guard off the bench, I expect him to be this year what Steven was last year and what Kyle Bankhead was before them, a long range sniper when we need it and all around team player.
Big Rob still hasn't figured out that he's bigger and stronger than almost everyone he'll play against. Rob, you don't need to go around everyone and get all fancy, just go to the hoop when you get the ball would ya?
Will Foster, in my opinion, I noticed something about Will's game tonight that I hadn't before........he shoots free throws one handed. It's simple mechanics to me, with his pure length he's gonna have more velocity on his shot than anyone else. He needs to shoot free throws with two hands and aim for the backboard to bank em in. This takes velocity off the ball and allows it to go in while allowing Will to have a more natural shot and most importantly having TWO HANDS on the ball. You can tell when he gets the ball in the post that he's not used to using both hands to protect the ball. The only time he should be using only one hand is on dunks and hook shots. Also, Will has a bit of a handicap that most players don't, his height. Let me explain....when I was taught to shoot, I was told to focus on either the back or the front of the rim and base my shot off of that. Will is so tall I doubt he can make the distinction from one part of the rim to the other, therefore, using the backboard as a guide would help him tremendously in my opinion whether he's shooting free throws or field goals.
Getting back to the rest of the team:
Harris is a stud except for the fact that he let Stockton completely block him out for a rebound and seemed ok with it. That was the one part of his game I didn't like, the rebounding. But having said that, he will be our best post scorer.
I was pretty impressed with G. J. but he still needs to learn this offense to run the point. I expect him to get about 7 to 10 minutes a game to keep Meech fresh and well informed of what the coaches want. I don't really expect much of a drop off unless it's at a point where there NEEDS TO BE EXECUTION of a certain play. That's not a dig on him as an athlete, but a simple need to learn the system which only comes with time.
Manny, I'll be honest, didn't really notice him much except when he had the ball, but liked what I saw. Bright future for him.
Poling; he seemed a bit like Sean Mallon to me. A solid player but not yet someone who is "play of the night" worthy. Seemed to me like he was a bit off his game tonight. Just personal opinion. I believe he'll have a good year.
Kelly seemed like a guy who wants to be "the guy" but hasn't really figured out what his role is yet. Is he a post, a guard, a small forward, what? Once he figures out what his role is, I suspect he'll blossom into a big time player. He's our best bet for running a "flex" offense along with Harris.
Dower, was enthusiastic and willing, but just seemed a tiny bit, I mean a little, overwhelmed and tried to do more than he's capable of. Redshirting would be good for him. But, if need be, he could step in and contribute as long as the coaches don't expect him to be player of the year. The less weight on his shoulders the better I think. Oh, and he looked every bit of 6'11" when he was next to Sacre.
Mike Hart, that boy is built for football, I don't expect him to only play in blow outs, he has a role as an enforcer on this team in my opinion. He won't get pushed around.
David Stockton was impressive to me tonight in that he didn't play like a player who has a birthright to play basketball but rather as a guy who's gonna do whatever he can to help his team. He actually took a rebound away from Sacre and scored over Foster down low. He WILL play a lot of minutes at some point, just not sure when.
PMAG is still PMAG. Didn't get to see much of him tonight, but he will still do what he does best......anything the coaches and crowd ask of him.
I'm not gonna speculate on Bol Kong as I have not seen him play yet, nor am I gonna get into why he wasn't playing tonight. Let him do whatever he's gotta do until we see him on the court would ya? Then we can see what he can do. No one can live up to unrealistic hype.
If I missed anyone, I apologize. It's 3a.m. and I'm tired. But in summary I'll say that with the athleticism on this years team I don't expect defense to be a liability, guard play should be solid, but post play is still a question on the offensive end. As is rebounding. If we shore up those two areas and keep from making too many turnovers along with improving our free throws, it'll be a really good season. If not, it's gonna be a really long season.

23dpg
10-25-2009, 07:04 AM
I watched the ASU-Stanford football game last night. During the 4th quarter Brock got a chance to play. The announcers mentioned that he gave an oral to play at Gonzaga as a point guard. I thought they made a simple mistake, but they kept repeating it. How he was 6ft 8in and a point guard. It kinda made me laugh. The announcers were pretty bad on the football end also.

NotoriousZ
10-25-2009, 07:17 AM
I'll try and keep this short. The future looks very, very good for this team. They were as raw as you might expect, but I saw what I wanted to see. Meech, Matt, Gibbs, and Arop, and GJ stood out the most for me. I think Manny is going to be off the charts. Sacre and Harris will hold their own and then some in the paint, but their shots weren't falling last night.

Best part of the night for me: After Big Will blocked Meech's shot, he went over and told him about it when Meech was doing the inbound pass--they were both smiling.

Wasn't expecting to get to go to the Kraziness, but my wife, God bless her, let me off the hook from our family dinner! Thanks for saving me a seat, Zagalicious, always a pleasure to watch some Zags hoops with you. Great to meet you after the game, Zerogame. Hopefully Bol is fine and can sign our basketballs someday!

SunDevilGolfZag
10-25-2009, 08:19 AM
These things are so hard to judge talent wise just because of the mere fact they are playing against the best team in the WCC, themselves. They may really shine against other teams when they are playing with one another instead of against one another.

My impressions tonight were:

Sacre: Good on the defensive boards, still very mechanical/robotic offensively. Big and strong, should live on the foul line where he shot well if my recollection is correct.

Arop: He will be very good in time. Gets to the basket well and knows how to use his body inside. Good hops and defensively picked Gibbs clean on one play and ended up with the dunk at the other end.

Meech: STUD! He pushes the ball up the floor so fast and finishes or dishes to a trailer coming for a shot. He will be a threat from outside if left open as well which was a very pleasant suprise. His jumpshot looked very good. Beeming with confidence.

Vilarino: This guy is good, and super fast. His outside shot needs alot of help as I don't think he made one, but boy can he get to the basket and hang in the air. He can really jump. He will play alot this season. Needs to work on his foul shooting as he gets fouled alot with his strong moves to the basket.

Gibbs: He seems slow, but he is on the floor after all loose balls and knocked down a couple of threes. He will definitely see minutes. Too slow IMO to run the point all though, definitely more of a two guard.

Stockton: Quick, smart, and got some of dads mean streak, but couldn't throw a rock in the ocean tonight. He missed a ton of shots, but will be a player on the floor in the future. Redshirt will help.

Olynyk: Looked a bit slow and his shot was not going, but showed flashes of what could be in the future. Battles for boards and loose balls. Could use a redshirt year if you base it off of this scrimmage alone. No where near the Daye comparisons that I have heard or read IMO, at least not at this point.

Poling: He is a battler and has a very nice stroke out to 17 feet. Was stuck guarding Sacre and Foster most of the time he played and he is just simply outweighed and struggled a couple of times. I could see him playing some 4 behind Harris though and contributing quite well.

Bouldin: He is the MAN! He is the leader and he gets what he wants when he wants it. He looked good as you would expect.

Harris: I love this guy already! He is crafty around the basket going for offensive rebounds, he runs the floor for a 4 extremely well, shot well out to 15 feet, has a good turn and face up shot, and dunks whenever he has the opportunity. His back to the basket game could improve and I am sure will. Had a nice over the top oop! from Bouldin.

Hart: I think he could and will contribute in some capacity. He is not flashy, but seems to have good fundamentals.

Gray: I think Steven will have a very good year. He showed he can handle the ball very well, looked quicker to me, gets to the basket, and makes his share of 3's. He is very good at going to the basket when he wants too. Felt like he and Bouldin were both trying not to do to much, maybe holding back a little. Definitely a starter and all WCC, no question. Great hair too!

Kong: At least we saw that Bol Kong does exist. Don't know if this Bol Kong can play basketball yet though.

Dower: He will be a good one. He is strong and finishes very high with his left handed hook shot. He struggled with his outside straight away 3's tonight as they were not even close. If he does redshirt he will be a man child next season.

Foster: Will looked like Will except in the fact that he actually smiled and looked like he wanted to be out there a couple of times. He had a couple of nice finishes and a swat and stare down on Meech. Noticed he had a much better shot from the free throw line as well...shoots the one handed soft shot.

I walked away feeling really good about the guard play and a bit concerned about the inside play offensively. Again that could be based on there are quite a few big guys that are really good and they make it tough on each other, or the fact they are young and still not real good finishers at this level yet. With that said, I think they will run alot this year. Lots of talent, but very young and inexperienced. Will see how fast coach Few can get them up to speed.

Again, JMO.

I was there also and believe your analysis is objective and virtually spot on. Best post in the thread, IMO

azzagfan
10-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Glad he spent time with Casey Calvary during the summer to toughen up but he really needed a guy like Batista who was probably the best post player we have ever had.

Luckily we should have plenty of scoring with the rest of the crew so Rob can just collect boards, score a few points and play D.

Le Mans is a long way from Spokane, but Jeff Brown works only about 5 minutes from the GU campus, and I can't think of a better back to the basket post scorer to show Rob a few tricks. What do you say Jeff, a couple extended lunch sessions?

BobZag
10-25-2009, 08:52 AM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs276.snc1/10322_293397110458_638055458_9401365_3070012_n.jpg

It was sardine city in K2. Up to three and four deep on both ends. Not one empty seat. Met Birddog, Jhoop, lawzag, Zagmantis, Fonebone, Mendiant, NativeZag, dogtownkid, and I know I'm missing a few others. If K2 seats 6000, there were probably 6500 in there.

MickMick
10-25-2009, 09:03 AM
I sat about 4 rows behind Casey Calvary. I have never seen him before but my new Zag DVD made his recognition unmistakable. I wanted to fall to my knees and repeatedly bow while chanting "I'm not worthy". But I remembered I was in a public place.

I'm not a city guy. We pull into Chili's restaurant after the game to eat dinner and we come out to find a $30 fee statement (subject to being submitted to a collection agency) on our window. I guess you have to pay for parking everywhere in Spokane. I honestly thought it was the Chilis parking lot.

NEC26
10-25-2009, 09:05 AM
It was late last night and I missed out on on my post with Dower. Although he missed his shots last night he was by far the most comfortable player with his back to the basket last night. I will be surprised if he ends up redshirting. Rob is not going to get 40 minutes and big Will is still very uncoordinated I don't see how we will get around not having him this year. He may not have shined last night but you could see he was capable of a lot more in my opinion. Kelly will be good too but in my opinion he would be the most likely to redshirt. He played hard nosed and their is good potential but I think he would benefit the most from a redshirt.
Just my opinion GO ZAGS!

ZagNative
10-25-2009, 09:13 AM
It was sardine city in K2. Up to three and four deep on both ends. Not one empty seat. Met Birddog, Jhoop, lawzag, Zagmantis, Fonebone, Mendiant, NativeZag, dogtownkid, and I know I'm missing a few others. If K2 seats 6000, there were probably 6500 in there.I haven't checked the women's board this morning, but BZ's post makes me wonder if BZ was more impressed with the women than the men yesterday ... Just a tad bit restrained here in his comments about the fellas here.

It's always a treat to see BZ, but his Mom and Stepdad are where it's at, especially his Mom. And she was ready to rock out with the band for sure. If the rest of the crowd might have been a little bit subdued, she sure wasn't. I thought for a minute she and I would have to do an Ellen Degenerous thing and get a little dance action going around the arena.

TheZagPhish
10-25-2009, 09:24 AM
It was sardine city in K2. Up to three and four deep on both ends. Not one empty seat. Met Birddog, Jhoop, lawzag, Zagmantis, Fonebone, Mendiant, NativeZag, dogtownkid, and I know I'm missing a few others. If K2 seats 6000, there were probably 6500 in there.

I saw you too, Bob, but with your thronging posse about there was no way to get anywhere near you.

I got to share a passing "nice to see you" with lawzag in the hallway, but otherwise didn't see other friends from the board. Nuisance that.

zagdad
10-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the update about the Kraziness in the Kennell. We are very excited about Zag games starting and rooting on our favorite team. I'm sure it will take a while for all these guys to learn to play together and learn to be comfortable in their rolls. We have great coaches who will do their best to bring out the talent in these players. Let's keep any negative comments out of here and look for the good things we see in the games. We need to be patient and supportive as fans. I have confidence that by the time the WCC tourney comes around, we will see a confident and talented group of players. :D

ZagNative
10-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I might have missed a reference to the game report on gozags.com, but here's the link (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/102409aab.html), just in case.

Box Scores are here (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/SCRIMMAGE.pdf).

Screen shots of box scores. (Since players split between the two teams, total points and other stats may be in one box score only.)

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2009-10-24Kraziness1.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2009-10-24Kraziness2.jpg

No technicals to report, fortunately. :D

These quotes from the game story linked above have been reported elsewhere, but they're worth repeating:
Few likes the potential of the newcomers.

"They youngsters are going to be good. I don't know when. They'll show flashes of it here and there. Getting them to be consistent will be the biggest challenge, but that happens with youth," Few said of the seven newcomers .....

"The big guys are coming along very, very well. I thought Elias had a good afternoon, and Sam (Dower) and Kelly (Olynyk) have been strong all fall. Manny (Arop) has had a good couple of weeks although he didn't play real well tonight," Few said.
Few said there's a lot of work remaining to be done prior to the Bulldogs lone exhibition contest Nov. 2 against the University of Alberta.

"Probably role identification is the biggest thing," Few said of one of the challenges facing his staff and team. "We have to start playing to our strengths and know what we are supposed to bring. We need to communicate that to them and they need to accept it and play with it. That's probably the best thing we can do right now offensively and defensively."

Rebounding and turnovers were also on Few's check list.

"We need to keep shoring up our rebounding because that's going to be a big key for us this year, and we need to cut down on some of those silly turnovers. That happens early, though," he said.

The 11th-year head coach also said teaching continues to be critical with such a young squad.

Psychozag
10-25-2009, 10:51 AM
My starting 5 from last night (and based only on last night):

Meech
Gibbs
Bouldin
Harris
Poling

I LOVED what Harris brought and thought along with Meech and Boulding, he was the most polished out there. I feel good about having him in the starting 5. Gibbs reminded me of Pendo. He worked hard and seemed to have his hand on the ball a lot of the time. A lot of the rebounds that occurred for his team was due to him keeping the ball loose. I can see why he gets injured. Center was the hardest for me. Rob is the biggest and strongest guy out there, but he can't score. I thought Poling looked the best out there offensively in that position, and he has definitely bulked up. It will be interesting to see how this position pans out over the course of the year and where the minutes will go. Olynyk is a hard worker and isn't afraid to get in there, but he needs time.
Most likely, Gray will start in the beginning, but is there a Micah (Arop?) there who will take the spot? Gray did what he has done in the past, looked great when he was looking for his shot, disappeared when he wasn't. He is just a laid back dude in a loose mood, and that's unlikely to change.
GJ was fast, but often seemed to only thinking of plan A, which was to blow by his man. This led to a couple of free throw opportunities, but he needs to make them.
Foster is still really tall, and he will get a few minutes if he plays to that strength.
Overall, I believe Few has his work cut out for him. A lot of different pieces to the puzzle, but it will take a keen eye to put them together and create an identity that works. Fortunately, basketball only has 5 players at a time on the court, and doesn't really use more than 8. 3 of those without a doubt are Bouldin, Meech, and Harris. The rest we will see.
This may be a hard year for the Zags, so get ready for this board to explode on more than one occasion. The first will be against Michigan St. where I think we will get taken to the woodshed. But the GROWTH of this team is what I am looking forward to witnessing. In the WCC, I think Portland is the team that can dethrone us, so I hope by conference time, the licks we will have taken in that time will have taught the necessary lessons, and we will once again being on top of the standings, and cut down the nets in Vegas.

CDC84
10-25-2009, 10:56 AM
One thing that really must be emphasized is what Bouldin talked about in his post-scrimmage interview with KREM. Team scrimmages tend to make players not look as good as they really are because everyone knows each other's tendencies. I think that the game vs. Alberta will provide more insight. The guys will be playing all out against a group of players who aren't familiar with them.

BobZag
10-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Firstly, few guys have ever looked really good during these scrimmages. There have been exceptions like Ammo, Batista, Stepp, Dickau, but 95% of the guys haven't looked all that good, mainly due to their teammates knowing every move they like to make. Anyway, with that in mind, here are my brief impressions of each individual, which may mirror what some others have already posted--

Bouldin - Steady, solid, he will be the anchor in storms, I thought he did well and played in a way that gave others chances while getting his, too.

Meech - Very impressive, he will be special and have a great career here, he is way improved and I no longer have any doubts about his outside shot; he is a wonderful floor general.

Gray - I feel some fire is needed here, a bit too casual, I can only hope he brings it in real games. Was kinda blah last night.

Sacre - Heard he has greatly improved but did not see it last night, he takes too long to get going once he has the ball, kinda struggled and I didn't see a post move, but maybe I looked away and missed one.

Poling - Watch this kid. Impressed with his 12-15 foot shot, good rebounder, crafty around the basket, he looked better than Sacre last night.

Foster - He has gotten better, and to be honest, he looked as good as Sacre last night. Note I say "last night." This all could be a one-night thing.

Harris - A big-timer. Just the way he moves. Not a great shooter but a good scorer. He has that "look" about him. With any improvement, look out. FT shooting needs some work.

Gibbs - This kid will play. A good shooter. He hustles and scraps and makes something out of nothing as good as any old school Zag. He impressed me.

Olynyk - He didn't show it last night but this kid has big-time written all over him, he just has that look. He will be big, both physically and his game. Next year. But I can see it coming.

Vilarino - A jet. Good at driving and making plays going to the hole. Needs to work on his shot and FT shooting. A good guy to have with Meech. But he is gifted in ways that will help.

Dower - I liked what I saw. He'll be a key cog in the frontcourt in the future. Lots of promise/potential. Being a lefty makes him crafty-looking. Very long. A bright future.

Arop - A natural scorer who should work his way up the ladder as he learns Few's system. Great mid-range game and helpful inside. Only shot one long shot. His game is around 15' and in.

Walkons - One of them shot way too much, lol. Since they will rarely play, I'll focus on the guys listed above.

More later.

CDC84
10-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Sacre didn’t have a field goal, but he did make four free throws. “He’s had a lot better fall than he’s shown in our last two scrimmages,” Few said. “We need to get that figured out.” …

I don't think we saw the real Rob last night. Not that Rob is ever going to be JP Batista or Ronny Turiaf on the offensive end.

ZagNative
10-25-2009, 11:51 AM
This may be a hard year for the Zags, so get ready for this board to explode on more than one occasion. The first will be against Michigan St. where I think we will get taken to the woodshed. But the GROWTH of this team is what I am looking forward to witnessing. There were so many great observations offered in this thread, but I especially found myself nodding with much of Psychozag had to offer in this post (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=470223#post470223), especially the last comment about getting ready for the board to explode on more than one occasion.

I really hope that friends and family of new players will resist the urge to visit the board for a couple of days after tough games, because it gets crazy around this place.

BroncoZAG615
10-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Reading all these reports on Steven I really hope that Coach Few has an extremely short leash with him. Manny and Grant seem to be chomping at the bit to play and are going to work their butt off for the team. I understand it was a scrimmage and I wasn't there but I was hoping Steven would really show up and prove that he is worth all of the hype that we've heard.

He isn't good enough or at least hasn't proved he is good enough to play as relaxed as everyone is saying. The good thing is that if he doesn't show up, we have plenty of competitoin behind him to fill in. I hope he realizes that.

FlyZag
10-25-2009, 12:22 PM
In short I was most impressed by Gibbs, Poling and Harris. Of course, Matt and Meech were solid but that's what I was expecting from them.

Most disappointed by Sacre, although he did shoot OK from the line.

I have to believe that in time the post play will improve... as the players learn the system and the chemistry grows.

NorthwestsFinest
10-25-2009, 12:27 PM
I think Having Bouldin, Gray, and Meech offensively, and Harris and Sacre physically, we'll be good enough to stay competitive with everyone we play this season. I don;t think we'll get blown out by anyone.

Postplayer57
10-25-2009, 12:44 PM
I have to agree, but tend to think that Gibbs will get many minutes resting all of the guards you mention.

bigparb
10-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Sacre....I didn't see a post move, but maybe I looked away and missed one.

Rob missed two hooks over big will....on the end of the court where GU's normal bench spot is......will challenged both of them pretty well, they just didn't fall....the hooks actually didn't look too bad.....

I said it in another post last night...expectations slightly lower now....Sacre---22-25 mpg; 8 ppg; 8 rpg

Also, hope Bol's ankle get better soon...

ZagManFan
10-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Wow, 3 pages already? Not going to read them all, but will give you my input.

GJ, I thought was the most impressive player on the court last night. Meech was a close 2nd. Those 2 will continue to push each other in practice and both will be solid contributors this year.

Not impressed at all from what I saw from Stockton. At least from the reports I have heard I expected much more. Made one nice floater, but missed another 6-7. He ca't be more than 5'8" either.

Andy, in my mind is more ready that Sacre. Big Rob is of course a more physical center, but Andy is way more polished on the offensive end. Good turn around from about 10-12 feet and looked to have gained good weight from last year. I don't remember Rob getting anything when his back was to the basket and had to back down. Not what I wanted to see from him.

I saw a play from Manny last night that was very similar to a play between the MJ and our very own Ehlo. Dribble left, stop and elevate over defender and knock it down. Not saying he is MJ by any means, but was very impressed with Manny.

Kelly in my mind needs to redshirt and maybe Dower as well. Skills are there, but they both looked a bit slow and if Dower takes another 3, I will tackle him myself.

Harris is the missing link people. Mr. do everything. Soft touch on his shot and can elevate like an Errol Knight. I do think he is our starting 4 and I have no doubt about that.

The best part about last night was Big Will blocking Meech and going over and talking smack to him. Will has a MUCH better attitude about him this year and looks like he is having fun.

Bouldin and Gray are Boulding and Gray. Heart and soul of this team. One thing I really liked was Big Rob taking over for Pargo in the middle of the huddle.

We need a lot of work, but I think we will be fine. Meech and GJ on the floor at the same time (saw it a lot last night) will be awsome to watch against Mich. St.

Edited to add that Grant Gibbs was very impressive as well. All over the floor and probably picked up a few floor burns. Got to love those.

kitzbuel
10-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Experimented with my son's camera tonight .... I am going back to my old digital Olympus with optical zoom, since the digital zoom on my son's camera took awful pics of the players.

Us out of towners thank you much for the pix!

:clap:

And always remember optical zoom > digital zoom!

willandi
10-25-2009, 01:45 PM
I am curious. Do you wear name tags with your forum handles on them? or do you folks know each other. I was going to go and look for BZ's avatar, but told my wife and she wouldn't let me.:lmao: :lmao:
Thanks for keeping us grounded fans in formed.

MickMick
10-25-2009, 01:50 PM
I am curious. Do you wear name tags with your forum handles on them? or do you folks know each other. I was going to go and look for BZ's avatar, but told my wife and she wouldn't let me.:lmao: :lmao:
Thanks for keeping us grounded fans in formed.

Just look for the guy wearing green and gold :)

Just kidding. Really.....just kidding.

BobZag
10-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Agree with ZagManFan... The game comes more natural to Andy than it does to Rob. Andy's skills are better on offense. Andy lacks Rob's physicality. Rob plays hard, gives it his all, is physical and rebounds via effort...but Andy has a more natural feel for the game.

Dower and Olynyk will be a force in the future. Combine them with Andy and Elias, and the frontline will be outstaning. I'm talking down the road a ways. They're just greenhorns now.

I'm excited about future frontcourts and I think the frontcourt will be fine this season.

willandi
10-25-2009, 04:47 PM
I wonder how much the difference in the bigs is due to the level of play in Canada versus the USA, at the high school level. I don't mean to take anything away from any of them, but we have heard that the level of play is different, and it seems that it would be more so with the bigs...it isn't as much dribbling and shooting, it is a lot more physical with bumping, bodying and general mayhem under the hoop.

Radbooks
10-25-2009, 04:51 PM
What a great evening! I'll let others discuss all of the players and their abilities, but I was just blown away by finally getting to be in the MAC! What a wonderful place for a basketball game and I can certainly see why the Zags have such a huge home court advantage. Others in this thread have mentioned that it wasn't that loud last night so I can't imagine what it's like during a game. I know for me it was hard to yell too much when you're rooting for both teams to do well. :)

I did wish I'd brought my camera because we ended up with seats at center court way up high across from the student section. The three of us couldn't sit together until about 1/2 way through the second scrimmage when some people left - I don't know why people would leave after waiting all that time in line, but they did! Anyway, it was a very fun time and I'm very glad I got to see the Zags in person and to be in the MAC.

ZagNative
10-25-2009, 05:01 PM
See, Radbooks! I told you being inside the MAC was an experience not to be missed!

MickMick
10-25-2009, 05:28 PM
See, Radbooks! I told you being inside the MAC was an experience not to be missed!

It looks kinda like your Sig ZN.

ZagNative
10-25-2009, 05:54 PM
It was just great fun to be there! However, I'm really mad at myself because I was unfamiliar with my son's camera and so took too small a snippet of a video of the band playing. (http://picasaweb.google.com/Zagsalbum/2009KrazinessInTheKennel#5396376714388334562) The quality's not great, but if I'd known it would remind me so much of the experience being there, I'd definitely have let it rip! It was probably 30 minutes before player intros when they started playing.

I love this band! I do, however, admit to tearing up when I hear the first marching band approaching at the Lilac Parade ... I'm pretty much a sucker for a HS or college band. Does anybody know if these kids ever march?

P.S. I don't know if that link will work for anyone but me. It's the first time I've uploaded video to my album on Picassa. I was too embarrassed by the pitifully short length to waste Youtube's time with it.

Team Oosik
10-25-2009, 06:03 PM
The link worked for me all the way down here in Texas. Thanks!

Appreciate the posts and links...no matter how short!

Radbooks
10-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Yep, you were right, ZN, it was wonderful!! I just have to try and get over to the BIS or some game this year...

SpudDawg
10-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to attend the scrimmage and fill in the rest of us with your observations and opinions.

I AM SO STOKED!!!

GonzagaGurl08
10-25-2009, 07:35 PM
I wish we marched ZagNative. Since band is done for no credit we are a bit limited as far as practice time. No marching for pep band.

BoZarth
10-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Great atmosphere. Scroll up and read loyalviking and BobZag's accounts. I think the two are spot on.

Disappointed I didn't get a chance to meet BobZag as we had to leave a bit early to make the Reunion dinner.

I took a few photos and will attempt to post one or two.

ZagsGoZags
10-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Poling is coordinated, has game sense, and soft hands. His shots do not "aim at" when he goes up, he can adjust his shot while being jostled. He is also big and strong, cagey, and smooth. I hope he spends a lot of time playing in the post, even though he's a four. Our best big man, all around, in my opinion, although some day KO may surpass him.

Elias looked battle-hardened, looks like a starter to me. Mangisto is lighting agile, and amazingly athletic.

GJ very impressive, needs to shoot 400 3's a day or more in the offseason. His quickness on defense seems best on the team. He and Meech are lighting fast, and how did Goodson get such a sweet 3 shot in just one summer. Just too good to be true. We'll probably lose a lot, but be coming on real strong by late Feb and I expect 2nd round or sweet 16 again. Greatest athleticism AS A TEAM I can ever remember - thus potential. Everyone seemed gung ho also.

I hope Kong is OK.

Sam redshirt? Either had a bad night, or shot too much. I know everyone expects KO to reshirt,

Robzagnut
10-26-2009, 09:10 AM
MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENTS

1. The red Pizza Hut towels - they sucked. They were just an advertisement for PH. Nothing about GU and nothing you would want to display. My boys were so disappointed they didn't even wait for autographs. I saw many just left on the floor when I was leaving the arena. The white towels from last year had a large bulldog on it and it said, "Gonzaga University Midnight Madness" They were extremely nice and my boys have them on their bedroom walls with all the players autographs.

2. No slam dunk contest - all three of my boys commented about how the event wasn't as good as last year.

3. Bol Kong - not getting to see him play.

THE JURY IS STILL OUT

1. Sacre - still too slow on his post moves. I do like how he has taken over the middle of the huddle.

2. Stockton - wasn't impressed. Too small, too many turnovers. Reminds me of Ito of Portland. A decent backup or someone who can play spot duty, but if he ever starts then it means GU hasn't recruited a top tier PG to replace GJ and Meech.

3. GJ's free throw shooting - someone commented about his low percentage in HS. It showed up last night. He's got the speed and quickness to get to the hole, but if he doesn't hit his FTs to back it up...

IMPRESSIVE

1. Meech - his ability to run the team and get to the hoop. He's like Pargo with an extra overdrive gear.

2. Elias Harris - smooth. Started out slow missing a few shots, but got into a rhythm and looked dominant. I wouldn't be surprised to see him score in the 30s in 2-3 games this year.

3. Bouldin - kind of sat back and let the newcomers do their thing early on. In the 2nd period he showed why this is his team with impressive passing, driving and shooting.

4. The turn out - the previous two years it was maybe 5/6 full. This year it was packed!

THOUGHTS

1. No team dance - I liked how the team didn't dance this year. The last two years it was more of a Pargo thing than a team thing. This years team seems to be more workmanlike and doesn't have time to worry about dance moves.

2. Dower and Olynyk are going to be good, maybe great, and I would love to see them both redshirt to get an extra year of maturity and strength.

3. It's going to be a battle between Gibbs and Arop to see who will get playing time. Both bring different things to the table. Gibbs has a great floor sense and is the scrappy Spink like player that will dive on the floor and mix it up. Arop is the athletic Errol Knight type player who glides, is strong defensively and gets in the air.

4. The pressure on Will Foster must be enormous. Everytime he touches the ball or if someone drives toward him on the defensive end the whole crowd seems to hold it's breath waiting for him to perform. Then they let out a collective sign or groan after it's over. It's not that way with any other player and you can tell he senses that when he's on the court. It's like because he's 7' 5" the crowd really wants him to succeed, but when he doesn't they (and him) are disappointed. Talk about smothering.

5. During the 1st period when the starters were in blue and the freshmen were in red, the score was tied 18-18. My oldest son commented to me, "Dad, the starters must not be very good, because the freshmen are tied with them." I commented back, "Or you could look at it another way... the new guys are really, really good." He smiled and said, "Yeah, you're right."

cjm720
10-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted commentary...very helpful for a fan who wasn't able to attend!

Go Zags!!

UberZagFan
10-26-2009, 11:12 AM
reminder:

the seven newcomers who combine with three redshirts from a year ago to give the Bulldogs 10 players who have never played a minute of NCAA Division I basketball.

Zag365
10-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Firstly, few guys have ever looked really good during these scrimmages. There have been exceptions like Ammo, Batista, Stepp, Dickau, but 95% of the guys haven't looked all that good, mainly due to their teammates knowing every move they like to make. Anyway, with that in mind, here are my brief impressions of each individual, which may mirror what some others have already posted--

Got back to Seattle late Sunday night after being part of the K in the K. After reading hundreds of your posts, I can understand some of the critical comments about some of the performances, but, recognizing this was just a Zag-on-Zag scrimmage after 1-1/2 weeks of practice, I came away feeling very positive about this team and think the coaches are doing a good job of bring this team along. I thought (and here comes the suck-up) BZ's comments were the closest to my own so no need repeat except to underscore two overall aspects that I thought were outstanding: (1) we definitely have speed and depth at guard to penetrate on offense, score in traffic, get open shots, break a press, and play man on man defense; and (2) our bigs and forwards, while unclear how much they can score inside, are very physical - we should be okay on the glass.