PDA

View Full Version : Dower to redshirt?

Baldwinzag
10-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Directly from Sam via Facebook:

ummm, it looks like ima redshirt this year. im not strong enough..yet. but i do like it here and i dont mind redshirting cuz we got some good upperclassmen posts in front of me.

Of course his statement is no guarantee and there is several more weeks of practice until anything becomes official, yet Sam seems open and willing to be a RS candidate this season. I look forward to reading about his performance tomorrow night and how he matches up against our own frontcourt.

MDABE80
10-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Surprises me. Sam's a great kid though and a team guy. I don't think this is a sign that he isn't everything we thought. Besides he can come out if need be. He has a great game and this signals we have the good fortune of having Sam for 5 years with the last 4 being the FF run. It's good!

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Rob, Andy, Elias, and Will should be able to hold down the 4 and the 5 this season. I think spending a year on getting bigger/stronger will really help Sam in the long run. Plus, with Rob and Andy both redshirting last year and Sam (and possibly KO) redshirting this season, the staff can focus strictly on some of the great wings and guards that are out there in 2011/12.

BobZag
10-23-2009, 03:49 PM
I've heard nothing but real good things about Sam. The staff thinks he'll be special in the future, providing a top frontcourt with Elias and Kelly and Andy.

MickMick
10-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Heytvelt redshirted. Pendo would have if not for team injurys that pushed him into the lineup. Poling is the most recent. All were highly regarded recruits coming in.

Anyone else see the pattern here?

The bigger guys need a little time to add muscle. In the long run, they will be happy they did.

btzag
10-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Interesting if it becomes official, did not see that coming.

Makes me really curious to see Poling play the 4 which I am assuming will be the case; Elias starting, Poling backup. Or maybe Elias is so good he will lock that spot down and we won't need much of a backup! :D

BobZag
10-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Santangelo redshirted.
Mallon redshirted.
Eaton redshirted. (and he was a Juco transfer)

There's a long list of very good playes.

Reborn
10-23-2009, 04:47 PM
This really suggests to me that Will Foster is going to be logging some minutes this year. I really would like that. I've always liked what he brings to a game from a sub's standpoint. I was expecting to see Dower at the 4 as a sub, so maybe Poling will be seeing playing time at the 4. AS I said a long time ago, I wonder if Kong is being considered at the 4. Or is it Olynyk? Tomorrow will tell us a lot. I am so curious.

MickMick
10-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Just my personal perspective:

If Dower redshirts it looks like Poling spends time at 4 and Will gets in there at 5. Perhaps KO plays some wing?

MDABE80
10-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Will looks a lot better when I saw him a few months back. Maybe the staff knows that our big fella is finally ready to go. If so, Sam gets an extra year of experience and growth. I hope Mr. Andy is ready to go. He sure looked it in July. Nice kid, much bigger and lots of skills.

bigparb
10-23-2009, 11:06 PM
ok....lets assume Dower takes the RS....that will be great for him and his long-term development/impact....

for this year I see primarily a three man rotation at the 4/5 spots......there's only 80 minutes to go around here....Sacre get 32; Elias get 25 and Poling get 22......for a total of 79 min. This leaves 1 mpg for Will......which is about right---unless Big Will proves he can be more than an immense liability on the offensive end, he won't play.........

Now, if Sacre's min are limited by foul trouble---say 25...then Fewie's going to have to figure out what he's going to do with those extra 7 min.....does he go will? KO-or does KO RS too??? or does he go small?......Poling at the 5 with 4 guards--manny, matty, stevey and meechie.....lets not forget how we'll Mr. Arop has proven he can board.......

Me thinks we go "small"(any combination will due).....I don't think Big Will is ready or will ever be ready for prime-time.....

1973Zag
10-24-2009, 04:52 AM
having to red shirt top notch players is a luxury!--having to use average players is when your in trouble. Must bode well for how our bigs are doing in practice.

Reborn
10-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Me thinks we go "small"(any combination will due).....I don't think Big Will is ready or will ever be ready for prime-time.....

If Big Will was not going to play I think he might have transferred like a few guys who left in the past few years. I really think that if Dower redshirts that Will is playing, and if he's playing then the staff believes he's ready to contribute. Why do you have a hard time believing that? Will has worked as hard as anyone to improve, imo. Maybe his hard work has paid off. I've seen it happen many, many times. Don't coaches all sing the song that hard work pays off? What if Will is ready to play and contribute? I think it really makes Gonzaga really strong in the low blocks, especially on defense and defensive rebounding. Maybe because the team is so young and will be behind on the offensive end that maybe Few is going to go for more defense and keeping the score lower. That's an option, I think. We may have difficulty averaging 80 pts a game this year.

The idea that the Zags could go small is a good idea, and I'm sure there will be times in games when Few does go small. I think he likes that brand of basketball too. How about Matt, Steven, Manny, Bol and Elias? For seven minutes just to see what happens.
We'll know a lot more in 12 hours. I'm excited.

wiszag
10-24-2009, 06:46 AM
More than anything I think it speaks of Mr. Dower's maturity. It takes a lot of vision to look down the road 4 to 5 years when you're an 18 year old kid.

BobZag
10-24-2009, 08:40 AM
You do remember your senior year more than your freshman year, after all.

kylasdad
10-24-2009, 09:20 AM
I was talking to someone near the top of the GU basketball foodchain...he said Will has really improved. He also said it seemed like in every practice a different big looks better than the rest. He feels they are going to have some formidable options, including will. He also said, "the German" looks reeeeealy good.

Nevtelen
10-24-2009, 11:56 AM
I've heard every year that Will has improved and then not seen much of it on the court. I think it's mostly mental. If Will can keep focused and use what he's learned in his years at GU in his probably 5-7 mpg, he'll be very solid and probably get more minutes. Honestly, he just needs to watch a LOT of video of that huge UNC-Ashville center from a couple seasons ago (Kenny George?). No need for a hook-shot when you can dunk everything. Plus, Will doesn't have the foot and knee problems that George did and can run the floor very well (plus we all know about his shot-stopping capabilities).

Will Will do it? I hope so. We'll see pretty soon, I guess. He doesn't need to be NBA caliber, just good enough to give 5-10 mpg while playing to his own unique strengths.

CDC84
10-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I can't see Gonzaga redshirting both Olynyk AND Dower. I think it's just a question of which guy is more able to contribute this year. After all that Gonzaga went thru last season with their lack of big man depth, they can't afford to put themselves at risk again. One of those two guys has to play because everyone here knows that Sacre, Harris or Poling is going to come down with some 2-3 week injury at some point this season. The Zags have got to have a guy with enough height, length and offensive skill to throw in there as a sub for that injured player. Personally, I was hoping that Kelly would be the redshirt because he's more of a wing and GU has plenty of those. But Kelly is a legit 7 foot now, and that can makeup (somewhat) for his lack of bulk at the power forward if he is needed at that position.

Kiddwell
10-24-2009, 02:27 PM
But Kelly is a legit 7 foot now.

Say what? Really?

:]

DixieZag
10-24-2009, 02:33 PM
I love the kid, he is an absolute game changer on defense that is accepted fact. Offensively he has what he needs except for one big predicate. His hands catching the ball. I got so frustrated seeing him open and fed beautifully for an automatic, only to turn it over simply by not catching the pass. If he has improved in this area (and I believe his big working heart/desire says he has) then I am greatly encouraged.

GoZags
10-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Say what? Really?

:]

Yes. He measured a full 7 feet (according to Coach Giacoletti at the Seattle kickoff luncheon).

NorthwestsFinest
10-24-2009, 08:05 PM
I love the kid, he is an absolute game changer on defense that is accepted fact. Offensively he has what he needs except for one big predicate. His hands catching the ball. I got so frustrated seeing him open and fed beautifully for an automatic, only to turn it over simply by not catching the pass. If he has improved in this area (and I believe his big working heart/desire says he has) then I am greatly encouraged.

I agree with you about his hands, but he also needs to work on AIMING HIS SHOT, and LOOKING AT THE HOOP BEFORE HE SHOOTS. Like last season, at the scrimmage, big Will just kinda threw the ball at the hoop... Not impressed. But he looks pretty sweet with his new hair, I like it. He also has more confidence from what I could tell. good sign.

NorthwestsFinest
10-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Perhaps I'm wrong about the new guys, but I don't know that game to game the team will be able to count on Poling and Foster. I'd argue that Olynyk probably doesn't pair as well with Poling or Foster, since he is inexeperienced in the post(which showed in some of the international games this summer). Olynyk needs a year to work on his post skills, if he is going to play as a hybrid four. Dower offers a more polished option, especially if Coach Few is just going to ask his fours to be the ultimate garbage men(which is what I think the team needs with telhe scoring ability of the guards more proven). Harris is ideally suited for that exact role, but I think Dower offers the next best option. We'll know more after tonight, but my hunch is that Olynyk is the better redshirt candidate. My hunch is that out of all the front court pairings that Olynyk/Sacre combination is the only combination that might be better. I like the idea of Dower paired with Poling, Foster, or Harris a lot more.

It's definitely time for the season to kick off.

What did you think after tonight? I think unfortunately, Neither Kelly or Sam are ready for D1 ball.

CDC84
10-24-2009, 08:22 PM
The thing about Olynyk though is that he put 14 pts. and 7 boards on a U19 Team USA bunch at FIBA that had a lot of really good college players. He's proven he can play at this level, although it is clear that his best years are ahead of him.