PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting impressions - Easter

BobZag
04-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Arizona is about to land a real nice wing-guard named Brandon Lavender. A home state kid, so no surprise. I really like this kid. Wish GU had been in on him.

Brad Tinsley is way better than he was last year at this time. His game just keeps getting better. He has transitioned rather fast from mid-major to high-major. Had himself a real nice Easter Tourney. Definitely high-major now.

Jordan Theodore had a bad weekend at Boo Williams. Unless the staff is 100%sure about him and firmly on his bandwagon...

Right now: Tinsley > Theodore

If Tinsley is like what some folks say (as good or better than Santangelo or Stepp were at same age), then count me in as a member of his fan club. It appears he's beginning to prove it, too.

Branch West, same place that had Deon Thompson last year, has a real intriguing PF named Breshers. I haven't seen Gonzaga mentioned with his named but I'd like to.

That's it for the 2008'ers.

hls97
04-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Wow, seems an abrupt about-face on Theodore. Was he really THAT bad at a single tournament that he now slips behind Tinsley?

BobZag
04-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Wow, seems an abrupt about-face on Theodore. Was he really THAT bad at a single tournament that he now slips behind Tinsley?

Yes, but it also takes into account Tinsley rising fast.

theothegreat21
04-10-2007, 03:52 PM
I hope that Theodore remains the top prospect at the guard position. From reading about his performance this season and his quick rise up the rivals rankings, it seems like he is far to impressive of a player for the coaching staff to turn to Tinsley as the main focus. Also Ive been under the impression that Tinsley is essentially a lock to committ here as soon as we offer, so wouldnt it make sense to pursue Theodore as hard as possible. Tinsley sounds like a very solid player who fits the old Gonzaga mold, but I really hope Theodore is the guard we get from the class, although both would be really nice

BobZag
04-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Getting both is not out of the question. I guess I made it sound like "one or the other." Tinsley is a combo guard who can play the 1 or 2. Theodore is a 1. That said, I think 2009 could be a bountful year for guards at GU.

ZaggyStardust
04-10-2007, 04:39 PM
You are right, Bob.... Lavender is a GREAT get for my Cats! Guess he was the only AZ guard that could virtually shut down Bayless. People on the AZ board are comparing him to Kyle Weaver. Just what the Cats need - a good defender!

RebornZag
04-10-2007, 06:43 PM
speaking about recruiting impressions, I've been under the impression for some time that Gonzaga is only going to have 2 scholarships to offer in '08. We seem to be stuck on this issue. Is it 2 or 3? Well. It all depends on PMAC playing or not playing next year. If he doesn't we'll only have 2 schollies for 08. And AS WE KNOW, Poling has one tied up already!!! Leaving us with one left. So, I would think it's Tinsley or Theodore....not both!!! Or not either.

BroncoZAG615
04-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Is their anywhere that we can see Jordan's stats at Boo Williams? Any link or something. I think we should firmly be on the Theodore bandwagon. Bad tournaments happen to everyone. I find it hard to think that a four star point guard on rivals who was invited to Steve Nash's camp can not be top on our list. Theodore seems to have the potential to be one of our best recruits, I hope that we can get both but I think Theodore should be the man.

RebornZag
04-10-2007, 08:48 PM
I understand your sentiment BroncoZ. What are your thounghts on Tinsley though? I have seen him play, or read much about him. Tinsley's been on our radar all year, and I am superexcited to see him excelling because I am hoping that he is our man. We will need a smaller guard to back him up, and one that can defend a small quick guard the way Q-Hall did. The first thing I heard about Tinsley is how "tough" he is. I liked that immediately.....GU needs to begin to fucus on toughness as well as skill....We all know that. From what I hear, I mean, he's real tough. Hard nosed tough like Erroll.

Also for BobZ to be saying that Tinsley seems to have surpassed Theodore is truly amazing becasue Bob has been such a Jordan Theodore guy all year. Last summer that's all he could talk about. Man, things to change in a year. I'm also going back to my beliefs that GU should be going harder after Oregon, Washington and Northern Cal athletes. Oregon wants Tinsley real badly, and I see he's playing on an Oregon team....how significant is that in terms of his (Tinsley's) interest in U of O?

AllezZags
04-10-2007, 09:09 PM
BZ Says: "If Tinsley is like what some folks say (as good or better than Santangelo or Stepp were at same age), then count me in as a member of his fan club. It appears he's beginning to prove it, too."

I am one of those guys that said that. I said that after watching Brad T. play dozens of times in the past 2 seasons. I also watched Santangelo dozens of times in his HS career (I loved his game). Tinsley is better IMHO. I think his upside

Also, I am one who believes we need a "throwback" Zag- one that plays tough, with a chip on his shoulder. Tinsley has made himself the 3rd best player in Oregon HS ball (behind Love and Singler). He is the best Jr by far.

zagster318
04-10-2007, 10:11 PM
BZ Says: "If Tinsley is like what some folks say (as good or better than Santangelo or Stepp were at same age), then count me in as a member of his fan club. It appears he's beginning to prove it, too."

I am one of those guys that said that. I said that after watching Brad T. play dozens of times in the past 2 seasons. I also watched Santangelo dozens of times in his HS career (I loved his game). Tinsley is better IMHO. I think his upside

Also, I am one who believes we need a "throwback" Zag- one that plays tough, with a chip on his shoulder. Tinsley has made himself the 3rd best player in Oregon HS ball (behind Love and Singler). He is the best Jr by far.

In other words, "I don't want to toot my own horn...but toot toot!" ;)

4EVERaZAG
04-10-2007, 10:42 PM
This is shocking news to me as well. A recent post showed that Theodore was drawing more attention just like Brad but from the likes of Texas and Duke. I have always been a big fan of both Jordan and Brad. I will faithfully put my trust into the hands of the coaching staff to decide who best fits the team if not both. All I hope is that we don't let both slip out of our reach because I feel both will be special players at the college level.

cougs4ever
04-10-2007, 11:08 PM
You are right, Bob.... Lavender is a GREAT get for my Cats! Guess he was the only AZ guard that could virtually shut down Bayless. People on the AZ board are comparing him to Kyle Weaver. Just what the Cats need - a good defender!

Did somebody say "Kyle Weaver?"

How many more days until next season?!!?

theothegreat21
04-10-2007, 11:14 PM
I think all of us on this board believe the dream would be for both of these guards to sign, and both certainly would be able to contribute at a high level. But it seems in the articles that we have seen about Theodore regarding the Steve Nash camp and the fact that he plays for the Gauchos who are one of the elite AAU teams in the nation, that Theodore has the ability to be a truly special, and a unique talent. While I dont want it to seem that im bashing on Tinsley, I get the indications that he would be solid, but not special. Looking at the other thread discussing the easter weekend tournaments, Bob posted the analysis by Hicks and he said that he has mid-major athleticism. Not only would this hurt him in his ability to get off his shot, but also truly limit any defensive impact he may be able to have. While he is clearly able to get his shot off against high school players in Oregon, division I basketball is a different world, and this lack of athleticism could catch up quickly. I think Tinsley would be able to contribute at this school, but I think Theodore could have an impact that we Zag fans wont forget for a long time.

ZagNut08
04-11-2007, 02:38 AM
I am a bit reserved about signing both, because that could severly hurt our chances of landing the bellarmine duo.

spudzag
04-11-2007, 05:30 AM
Tinsley>Theodore?

Recent commentary on Tinsley; "The question we have on Tinsley is whether he’ll be able to play the one in college. He appears to have a nice understanding of the game and he made several good passes in the one game we saw. But we’re not sure about his quickness and ability to defend the one at a high level. Tinsley might struggle athletically at the high major level. ...... We want to see him play some more this month before we reach any conclusions on an appropriate level."

I wouuldn't rank that as a glowing report. Have never read the kind of doubt I see here in any report on Theodore.

Theodore>Tinsley IMHO

Rubbadub
04-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Theodore had a bad tournament, but he should still be higher on GU's radar. What we will need in 08 is a great point guard who by his sophomore or junior year would be running the show in Gonzaga's offense...and Brad Tinsley is a shooting guard...who has questionable point ability and athleticism, apparently. Theodore plays point on one of the better aau teams in the country and is ranked as the 8th best pg in the 2008 class by rivals. It sounds pretty open and shut to me at this point, not to say the situation couldnt change if Tinsley further improves as a pg.

LynetteG
04-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Is their anywhere that we can see Jordan's stats at Boo Williams? Any link or something.

might find something here
http://www.boowilliamsbball.com/nike/index.php

4EVERaZAG
04-11-2007, 11:02 AM
In regards to Tinsley's athleticism there seems to be conflicting reports. Here is his scouting report by Jerry Meyer from Rivals.com
"A competitive multi-sport athlete, Tinsley is a heady player with above average athleticism. He handles the ball well, makes good decisions and works hard on defense. He has the ability to go either direction and score off the dribble but does need to improve the consistency of his long range jumper." — 3/1/2006
His video on youtube also leads me to believe that he is fairly athletic. It is pretty obvious that he does not have the blow by speed or the break your ankle-crossover of a Jordan Theodore but he is a far cry from being a Blake Stepp or a Nathan Doudney in terms of athleticism. His size, length and heart should also help make up for any shortcomings on quickness on the defensive side of the ball.
On a side note there is a rivals insider article on him from yesterday if anyone has insider could you summarize what is said about him?
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=&script=/content.asp&cid=662342&fid=&tid=&mid=
Thanks in advance

BobZag
04-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Winning the Gold Division of the tournament was definitely a team effort, but Tinsley certainly did his share. Over the course of the weekend, he averaged over 25 points a contest, wowing everyone on hand with his shooting stroke and his overall knowledge of the game.

"I think everything was going good for me," Tinsley said. "I'd been working really hard prior to the tournament tuning up my skills, working on my pull-up jumper and also my defense. I thought I improved a lot on those for the tournament although there's still room for improvement."

This past weekend was the first one in which coaches could go out and evaluate prospects, and you bet Tinsley attracted a crowd. The usuals such as Cal, Gonzaga, Pepperdine, Tennessee, Oregon State, Nevada, Washington, and Washington State were on hand for just about all of Team Jones' games, but new schools such as Virginia and Georgia Tech started to catch on.

Rubbadub
04-12-2007, 06:39 AM
which position did he usually play en route to those 25 points and a championship? If it was at pg then he is much higher on 'Rubbadub's He Needs To Committ To Gonzaga O'meter' than previously.

4EVERaZAG
04-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Bob,
Thanks for posting that Rivals article, sounds like Tinsley had a great tournament and is really developing into a high major prospect.