PDA

View Full Version : Steven Gray on the Big Stage

ZagAccountant
10-23-2009, 12:58 PM
or maybe a slightly smaller stage.

http://www.gonzaga.edu/news-and-events/newsdetail.asp?EventID=5019

I think this illustrates how well-rounded Gonzaga athletes and students become. I applaud you Mr. Gray and the rest of the cast. And a compliment like that from Fr. Connell means a lot more than one would think.

strikenowhere
10-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Its definitely nice to see student-athletes step outside of the athletic arena, but I can't help but think that he's going to be hearing all about it (and not in a nice way) at away games...:(

Fonebone
10-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Funny story about the play he will be in.

I saw this a few years ago in NY City on Broadway. It was really good. There is actually a soliloquy in it about the beauty of baseball that was amazing. Probably the best description of why a lot of people love baseball. I am not a huge baseball fan, but I was really moved by the soliloquy.

But that is not the funny story. Being NYC the locker room scenes in the play were full frontal nudity. One scene was a line of 6 or 8 guys in front of lockers, drying off. It made me feel, how should I put this, slightly inadequate. It looked very much to me like they selected the guys for the show based on certain physical attributes that had little to do with their singing voices.

There were just a few scenes like that. I'm guessing we will not see the same type of treatment of those scenes in the Gonzaga production. It really is a good play - worth seeing.

Once and Future Zag
10-23-2009, 02:18 PM
And a compliment like that from Fr. Connell means a lot more than one would think.

You sound like someone who's worked in theater with Fr. Connell, and I agree wholeheartedly - Kevin is a pretty darn good director (and actor), and a first class mind to boot. I worked with him in several productions in high school (and he was instrumental in my decision to go to Gonzaga) IMO, GU would do far worse than to get someone of Fr. Connell's abilities and energy to replace Spitzer... but that's another post.

For people (at road games) who think this means anything - well, pity the claustrophobic worldview. A) it's acting B) does it matter if any given player is gay, as long as they can play ball?

It was ridiculous and humiliating for GU when "Brokeback Kickert" was trotted out - and would be equally so to any school who trots out any similar homophobic garbage regarding Stephen.

Kudos to Stephen to rejecting the macho mindset and working on a project of this nature.

Postplayer57
10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Since when did appreciation of Theatre and other fine arts define sexualism or any other facet of ones personality. Most adults are way beyond that bigoted view. And I still believe the term "student athlete" i something to be proud of! You Go,Steven ! And a Special word of thanks to the nub-nuts who sstated that this post pissed him off and gave me neg rep for it.You must be one of the ignorant types I was referring to.

DADoZAG
10-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Since when did appreciation of Theatre and other fine arts define sexualism or any other facet of ones personality.

HBZ, you may want to take a few minutes and read the article. I believe the comments regarding sexual orientation were in regard to the play's subject matter.

Congratulations to Mr. Gray, and I hope that pic is from last year!

Go ZAGS!

strikenowhere
10-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah I just want to make clear that I wasn't implying any sort of stereotypes regarding those who participate in theater....what I meant to say was that the lead character that Steven is portraying unfortunately presents a target for some of the dregs of fandom.