• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

How I'll Watch Saturday's Scrimmage

I have heard chemistry among this group is at an all-time high. The young guns look up to and admire the veterans, especially Matt Bouldin. And Matt is as likeable as you'll ever find, but he is also the most vocal leader on the squad right now. Matt had this same situation in HS when he was the only returning starter for ThunderRidge. He led a group of young kids to a Sweet Sixteen finish. They lost 6 games that year, 5 of which happened when Matt was not playing or hobbled by an ankle injury.

So health and no injuries is key Saturday and, actually, all year. Matt is clearly the leader now and it could be a case of "The Zags go as Matt goes."

I'll be doing three things, primarily.

1) Watching each individual player and just getting an overall impression of their abilities, skill level, hustle, etc. I want to see what each guy is doing when without the ball. Does he float, does he keep moving, does he set screens, does he box out, etc?

2) Watching the coaches and what they say to whom. For instance, a sure way to know if someone is missing assignments or just generally making mistakes is to watch who the coaches talk to, either during play or during time-outs.

3) Watching teamwork. Does it all look ragged and sputtery, or are the guys running crisp plays and there's a semblance of flow to the action? Now, I fully realize there's only been a week of practices and it'll take the newbies time to get a grasp of the offense and defense so that will be taken into account.

I think all who attend will get an inkling of this edition of the Zags. If I were make a prediction, it would be that we'll see a ton of talent oozing from these Zags but it'll be a bit raw and unharnessed, something only time will take care of. But the upside potential for the future will have fans eager to get going.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Great post BZ. I won't be able to attend and I look forward to a good report from you. The things you're looking for really make sense to me. Personally, I would look at ball handling sills by our guards (which includes passing) and rebounding by our bigs, and of course who wants to play D.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Kiddwell
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

How 'bout extra long and inquisitive looks at redshirts Gibbs and Poling?

:]
      Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

JHoops is going. Birdmeister will be in attendance.me too. it'll be fun !!
        Last edited by MDABE80; 10-23-2009, 12:51 PM. Reason: mmmm

Comment

• OZZY
          Zag for Life
          • Aug 2009

What will be more difficult for the pups, learning the offence or defence?

Comment

• BobZag
            Dark Lord of the Zag
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by OZZY View Post
            Offense.

Comment

• DADoZAG
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by OZZY View Post
              I agree with BZ, the offense should be slowest to develope, and am not expecting to see too many half court plays. In fact, if there is too much half court success, I'll be concerned about the defense that I expect to see this year, as a great half court offensive showing might be more of an indication of an inept defense.

It'll be interesting to see if the athleticism is as advertised, the speed going both ways, etc., from at least ten ZAGS. And, if the ZAGS aren't creating offense from defense, the first half of the season may be very long indeed.

Go ZAGS!
              Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

• MickMick
                Zag for Life
                • Apr 2007

I'm going to watch a lot of Harris and Sacre. I know what our guards can do.
                I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• gum797
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Nov 2007

Will Foster

I am the most curious about Will. I want to see him and Sacre go head to head and see how Will can respond. What a huge plus it will be if he progressed well this off-season. Since I am in Colorado, I will be hoping for some summaries.

Comment

• Stache
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Nov 2007

Plea For Info

As a long time season ticket holder, I can't remember a year where I've felt less informed or as filled with hopeful anxiety.

For those of us who can't be there tonight - please, please, please type some observations of our new players - including Andy and Grant.

Thanks. Enjoy!!!

Comment

• GoZAGsMang
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Feb 2007

I apologize if this question is more silly than the fans who want 3 in the Key

I apologize if this question is more silly than the fans who want 3 in the Key....

Why cant they broadcast Kraziness in the Kennel on public access or "what used to be Zags TV"?

GoZagsMang

Comment

• BobZag
                        Dark Lord of the Zag
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by GoZAGsMang View Post
                        I apologize if this question is more silly than the fans who want 3 in the Key....

Why cant they broadcast Kraziness in the Kennel on public access or "what used to be Zags TV"?

GoZagsMang
                        Good question, and I don't know.

I've read everybody's requests and will report as best I can Sunday.

Comment

• Stache
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Nov 2007

Bless you, BZ. Now, how do I act like i'm listening to wife at dinner while actually reading posts?

Comment

• titopoet
                            Zag for Life
                            • Apr 2008

I will also look for how they read and react. The read and react is one of the bases of motion offenses like the Flex. Having just a week of full practice to develop this will be interesting.
                            ----
                            Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• ZagNative
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Stache View Post
                              As a long time season ticket holder, I can't remember a year where I've felt less informed or as filled with hopeful anxiety.

For those of us who can't be there tonight - please, please, please type some observations of our new players - including Andy and Grant.
                              hopeful anxiety ... Perfect description for what I feel.

I wonder if we'll see much less organization than we might be hoping for ... Wonder if the staff's sole objective will be for the kids to just get a taste of what it's like to play in the MAC in front of rabid fans and have some fun, with no expectations ... Personally, that's what I'm expecting to see, and so long as that happens (along with no injuries from showboating), I'm enough of a sappy fan that I'll leave the smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X