PDA

View Full Version : Seth Davis chimes in at SI

sittingon50
10-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Few is apparently quoted.

Sorry, don't know how to link it. But worth reading IMO.

BroncoZAG615
10-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Few's the man:

"The chances of that happening are about the same as Big Foot having my baby," Few said. "That's like me saying, Gonzaga proposes a five-year deal at Spokane Arena. There, I just made a proposal. That's as logical as this deal [would be]."

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hoop_thoughts/posts/83021-washington-gonzaga-series-not-a-done-deal?eref=fromSI

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

sweezag
10-23-2009, 07:19 AM
"We have plenty of games, so it's not that important for us to play Washington." Mark Few

I love this quote.

gozagswoohoo
10-23-2009, 07:19 AM
The Associated Press reported on Wednesday that the University of Washington has proposed renewing its annual series with Gonzaga. UW's proposal calls for a three-year contract stipulating that all the games would be played in Seattle's KeyArena.

I found this story to be curious for two reasons. First, because Washington, and specifically coach Lorenzo Romar, were openly commenting on a proposal that Gonzaga had barely read, much less seriously considered. And second, that Washington would imagine Gonzaga might agree to play all of the games at an arena that is not only in UW's backyard, but nearly 300 miles from Gonzaga's campus in Spokane.

After speaking with Gonzaga coach Mark Few on Thursday, I can sum up his response in three words: Not bloody likely.

"The chances of that happening are about the same as Big Foot having my baby," Few said. "That's like me saying, Gonzaga proposes a five-year deal at Spokane Arena. There, I just made a proposal. That's as logical as this deal [would be]."

Gonzaga and Washington played 10 consecutive seasons from 1998-2007, with the last seven meetings alternating between each team's on-campus arena. Gonzaga had won eight of the last nine meetings when Washington called things to a halt. Though Washington is proposing to allocate half the tickets in Key Arena to Gonzaga fans, most coaches, Few included, would not consider Seattle to be a neutral site.

"The series should start in Spokane because Washington canceled the series," Few said. "If they want to do a home-and-home, that's fine. If they don't, let's all move on. We have some incredible home-and-home deals right now with Wake [Forest], Michigan State and Xavier. We're doing a deal with Oklahoma. We have plenty of games, so it's not that important for us to play Washington."

Despite the recent one-sidedness of the series, it would be great for the state of Washington, and for college basketball in general, for these two prominent programs to resume playing. Romar told me on Thursday that he didn't see the issue of KeyArena as a permanent site to be a dealbreaker. "We just sent out the proposal. It's too early for me to start marking territory," Romar said. "We always said eventually we wanted to resume the series. We've made a proposal and we'll have to see what happens."

Romar denied that his team's poor results against the Zags was a factor in Washington's decision to pull out. "Our schedule began to get away from us, and we were trying to reel it back," he said. Looks to me like they reeled it back too far -– Washington's nonconference schedules the last several years have consisted almost entirely of home games against middling opponents -– but I give Romar credit for taking this first step. If, however, he wants this series to resume, he's going to have to agree to play some games in Spokane.

"When they pulled out, I was totally, unequivocally cool with it. Scheduling is hard," Few said. "We've been down this road many times before. This decision will be made between myself, Lorenzo and the two athletic directors. It won't get done through the media."

So long as they get it done.

I just copied and pasted from SI.com. No copyright infringements have been.....infringed.

hockeyzag
10-23-2009, 07:20 AM
It was only a matter of time before someone wrote an article showing how ridiculous the offer from UW was. This proposal is making their program look really bad in my opinion.

Edit: Few is awesome

CDC84
10-23-2009, 07:29 AM
We have some incredible home-and-home deals right now with Wake [Forest], Michigan State and Xavier. We're doing a deal with Oklahoma. We have plenty of games, so it's not that important for us to play Washington

That's the best part. That a team (MSU) that has won a national title and been to 3 other final 4's the past 10 years is willing to play at K2. Xavier has been to two elite 8's and one other sweet 16 this past decade, etc.

cjm720
10-23-2009, 07:29 AM
CLASSIC QUOTES BY FEW!!!!

I'd still love to see the series renewed with games played on campus. I'd totally be up for a game in the Key every third year.

Also, would be really cool to include UW in the BIS every year, then bring in two high profile teams for a 4 team tourney, or just two games (similar to the Aerospotle Classic in MSG).

Go Zags!!!

titopoet
10-23-2009, 07:35 AM
It was only a matter of time before someone wrote an article showing how ridiculous the offer from UW was. This proposal is making their program look really bad in my opinion.

Edit: Few is awesome

It was fun to read that the national media thinks the same as we do.

Romar denied that his team's poor results against the Zags was a factor in Washington's decision to pull out. "Our schedule began to get away from us, and we were trying to reel it back," he said. Looks to me like they reeled it back too far -– Washington's nonconference schedules the last several years have consisted almost entirely of home games against middling opponents -– but I give Romar credit for taking this first step. If, however, he wants this series to resume, he's going to have to agree to play some games in Spokane.

The looks like the "reeled it back too far..." is the best Romar slam down I read in the whole debate. A national writer calls out the truth. Love it.

UW come back to Spokane first to get your yearly smack down.

----
visit www.life-and-faith.org (http://www.life-and-faith.org)

BroncoZAG615
10-23-2009, 07:37 AM
That's the best part. That a team (MSU) that has won a national title and been to 3 other final 4's the past 10 years is willing to play at K2. Xavier has been to two elite 8's and one other sweet 16 this past decade, etc.

Bbbbbut we had Brandon Roy and he is like...WAY better than A-Mo so Go DAWGS!

/washington sarcasm

That felt awful speaking as a UW fan. Very impure.

Angelo Roncalli
10-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Let's see...the Huskies have been called out by the two most senior college sportswriters/columnists in Seattle (Withers, Thiel) and now by a national CBB writer. Has anyone, other than the members of the UW propaganda machine at KJR, said the Husky proposal is meritorious? Buehler?

UW's next salvo will probably be to exhume Blaine Newnham and have him pen one of his patented Husky apologias.

sonuvazag
10-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Our schedule began to get away from us, and we were trying to reel it back
Ho. Wait. What. Retraction? Wasn't it... to get more national opponents.

sonuvazag
10-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Bbbbbut we had Brandon Roy and he is like...WAY better than A-Mo so Go DAWGS!

/washington sarcasm

I tried it once and puked in my mouth.

Angelo Roncalli
10-23-2009, 07:46 AM

Better go cleanse yourself in the sanctified waters of Lake Arthur. On second thought... maybe not....

Zerogame
10-23-2009, 07:48 AM
When I think of Few in this instance I can’t help but think of Teddy R. and his, “Walk softy and carry a big stick.” It’s Few saying to Romar, “Don’t Screw with me!”
HE IS THE MAN!

zagmantis2001
10-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Romar's comments are just plain weird. How does scheduling get away from you requiring you to "reel it back in?" Did they have a serial killer in charge of scheduling or something?

"He was a quiet man. Didn't say much. Kept his porch clean, always said hello. Nice to his mother. Then one day...he just went crazy. You could see it in his eyes and...before we knew it...he scheduled a series with Gonzaga. A THREE YEAR DEAL. A HOME AND HOME ON THE CAMPUS OF EACH SCHOOL!! It was horrible....never saw it coming."

bballbeachbum
10-23-2009, 07:55 AM
a fine joke, and I laughed heartily. thank you Coach Romar.

and is it any wonder why Coach Few is so highly respected throughout the land? he is The Man. Even in the media, with Romar's planned tactical maneuver, Few yawns with a simple dodge, parry and thrust. Romar looks silly here, like a coward afraid to play.

There, I said it.

Bring on the season already!

Butler Guy
10-23-2009, 08:04 AM
From an outsider's prospective, this is really absurd.

Does Washington not understand it's reputation outside of their own zip code vis-a-vis Gonzaga?

Kiddwell
10-23-2009, 08:15 AM
"The chances of that happening are about the same as Big Foot having my baby," Few said.
Being married to Harry Big Foot's kid sister, Harrietta, Coach Few, if you're reading this, Kiddwell takes personal umbrage to your remark about having babies...with MY wife!

:]

NorthwestsFinest
10-23-2009, 08:22 AM
The Huskies are going nuts on their board about this whole situation.. It's funny. They are so jealous of our program you wouldn't believe some of the things being said. It's turned into a "the wcc is weak" "whats wrong with this proposal, now Few is scared" type of thing. Typical Huskies.

I love Coach Few and how he handles himself and the University. I think a lot of people are proud to be fans of their teams, but there is something special about Coach Few and Gonzaga.

BobZag
10-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Romar's comments are just plain weird. How does scheduling get away from you requiring you to "reel it back in?" Did they have a serial killer in charge of scheduling or something?

"He was a quiet man. Didn't say much. Kept his porch clean, always said hello. Nice to his mother. Then one day...he just went crazy. You could see it in his eyes and...before we knew it...he scheduled a series with Gonzaga. A THREE YEAR DEAL. A HOME AND HOME ON THE CAMPUS OF EACH SCHOOL!! It was horrible....never saw it coming."

Classic, ZM. See you soon. :)

BobZag
10-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Huskies’ offer makes perfect sense to Huskies
John Blanchette
The Spokesman-Review share

Blame Jim Sterk. He won’t be surprised, since he gets blamed for almost everything else.

It was Washington State’s athletic director who first dipped his toe into the icy waters of regional soul-selling last spring when he championed changing the Apple Cup game with Washington from the traditional home-and-away campus wingding to a “neutral” money grab at Qwest Field in Seattle – potentially spiriting the game to the west side of the moun- tains for good. Luckily, the Huskies couldn’t control their natural one-upsmanship reflex – they wanted more tickets – and the whole thing unraveled faster than Nick Holt’s prevent defense.

But, regrettably, there was now a precedent for this sort of thing.

And the Huskies didn’t hesitate to leverage it.

Late Tuesday, they e-mailed Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth with a proposal to revive the basketball series between the two schools dormant since the Dawgs declined to extend it – yes, they did – following the 2007 season. The pitch: a three-game contract, tickets and revenues split 50-50, at that grand old “neutral” site, KeyArena, four whole miles from the UW campus.

“I think it’s a great proposal,” UW athletic director Scott Woodward said.

Indeed, so giddy were the Huskies over their brainstorm that before the clock struck lunch on Wednesday, it had been leaked to their favorite KJR mouthpiece.

Wait, that’s probably a little presumptuous. Possibly he filed a Freedom of Information Act request to get the scoop.

Yes, nothing ensures thoughtful, sincere negotiating quite like the pre-emptive strike of blabbing it on sportstalk radio before the other party even has a chance to digest it.

Not that the Huskies care about negotiating. This is a take-it-or-leave-it proposition.

And, as such, a hoax even more transparent than Balloon Boy.

“Now the ball is in their court, so to speak,” UW associate athletic director of athletic communications Richard Kilwien said.

Really? Could have sworn Gonzaga’s court is in Spokane.

And we know now that the Huskies don’t want to get anywhere near Spokane. They don’t want to play at the McCarthey Athletic Center on the Gonzaga campus. They don’t want to play at the Spokane Arena. They don’t want to come by car, they don’t want to come this far. They will not play home-and-home, they would rather play in Nome. They do not like gree…

Sorry.

“This is the proposal we’re interested in and I don’t see it changing in terms of any other sites,” Kilwien told the Seattle Times. “Having it at the Key really benefits both schools in terms of fans and financially as well.”

Say, it’s awfully nice of him to take it upon himself to decide just what benefits Gonzaga. He must think he’s a sports columnist.

The thumbnail history: When the contract ran out in 2007, so did UW’s enthusiasm for the series – thanks to losing eight of the last nine and hard feelings at Gonzaga having been one of the whistleblowers when Huskies assistant Cameron Dollar left his rulebook home while recruiting Josh Heytvelt. The Huskies explained that they wanted to pursue a more national schedule, which somehow couldn’t include the Zags.

Fine. Whatever.

So what exactly has changed in two years? Other than the Dawgs avoiding more pastings and having to eat a lot of PR doody, that is.

This week’s proposal is their idea of how to get off that diet, for they know quite well it’s unacceptable to Gonzaga. And for good reason.

As was pointed out during the Apple Cup tango, a site is not neutral if only one team has to make an overnight trip to play there, ticket distribution notwithstanding. The Bulldogs already have a long-standing Key game with rotating opponents that does quite well. Moreover, they will bring Michigan State, Wake Forest and Illinois to the Mac over the next few years, to say nothing of games with Washington State.

How do they continue to pursue deals with the likes of those programs if they sell out just to get the Huskies back on the schedule?

Woodward’s response, via SeattlePI.com: the University of Washington “is all I’m worried about.”

Precisely.

The shame of pulling the plug on this series was that the excitement it generated simply was good for basketball in the state. What the Huskies are proposing isn’t. It’s good for Seattle. Doesn’t do a thing for Spokane, other than put a few thousand people in cars over a mountain pass one more time in December.

But now the Huskies can puff out their chests and harrumph that, hey, we offered to play.

That’s called gamesmanship. It’s a lot different than actually playing the games.

Das Zagger
10-23-2009, 09:10 AM
I don't think either school necessarily "needs" this game.

However, as a fan, I would like to see these two teams play. We have two in-state schools with solid basketball programs and for various reasons, bad blood between them and they aren't playing? C'mon, son!

The schools don't lose but as fans we do.

Akzag
10-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Ah ... here's the problem ...

"We just sent out the proposal. It's too early for me to start marking territory," Romar said

How many years now has Romar been around? and he still hasn't marked his territory?

Yup ... this state of Washington has Spike's smell ALL over it ....

lynnwoodzag
10-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Mitch Levy of KJR (Huskies Flagship station) just called out the Husky AD and coaching staff to play the game one year in Seattle one in Spokane. He went on to accuse UW of being " chichen crap" and looking small. Good words against the Fuskies on KJR.

UberZagFan
10-23-2009, 09:24 AM
And we know now that the Huskies don’t want to get anywhere near Spokane. They don’t want to play at the McCarthey Athletic Center on the Gonzaga campus. They don’t want to play at the Spokane Arena. They don’t want to come by car, they don’t want to come this far. They will not play home-and-home, they would rather play in Nome. They do not like gree…

Nice.

whatazag
10-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Ahaha, thanks for posting, so funny, good quotes by Few. Unfortunately I don't think those comments are going to make a home and home deal more likely to happen.

cjm720
10-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Ahaha, thanks for posting, so funny, good quotes by Few. Unfortunately I don't think those comments are going to make a home and home deal more likely to happen.

But we're on record explaining how and why the situation reached this point. It's kind of grade schoolish of UW/KJR if you ask me.

Go Zags!!!

MedZag
10-23-2009, 09:55 AM
I think there's a difference in how both sides are approaching the offer that is really telling.

UW is justifying that the deal is "great" from a revenue perspective. There's loads of Zag fans in Seattle, and we travel well, and I have no doubt that if GU was allocated a true half of the seats, they would have no problem filling it. That I can buy, and it a somewhat valid argument.

Few and Roth are justifying that the deal is "not great" from the perspective of their players. Regardless of the number of fans at the arena, their players are the ones who have to travel across the state, and as anyone can who has played organized sports at high level or above can attest to: travel immediately changes your psyche and approach to a game. The minute you hop on a bus or plane and leave your city to play a game, its an away game. Plain and simple.

I think its interesting to see the psyche of each side as they approach it. UW from a "this makes financial sense for both schools, more money!" perspective, GU from the perspective "what is it going to be like for our players to have to travel to Key Arena to play this game?"

Reborn
10-23-2009, 10:11 AM
I think its interesting to see the psyche of each side as they approach it. UW from a "this makes financial sense for both schools, more money!" perspective, GU from the perspective "what is it going to be like for our players to have to travel to Key Arena to play this game?"

Oh! And don't forget to include the fans of Spokane. I like the post about the guy from Spokane saying, hey what about us GU fans here in Spokane? Or even GU fans from all over the East Side. Some of us who were born and raised in Central or Eastern Washington, imo, have a certain pride in our side of the state. It feels good to us to have a team in Eastern Washington pounding on that Westside University, The Big Dog!!! I think this thread is so much better than the one yesterday, where there were so many GU fans saying that they'd like to see this deal, and how "this deal" made lots of sense. There is a general feeling from those who would like to see the game. I think we all would like to see it. The UW proposal showed nothing but total disrespect for Gonaga University basketball. It smells of the arrogance that I believe comes from Romar. They think they're better than us, and I believe most of their fans do to. Not because they have proven they are better, because they certainly haven't done that, but because it's just the mentality of that campus and probably that city. I'm glad the national media is helping put this in proper perspective. Call a chicken a chicken. It's that simple.

Zag 77
10-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Bud Withers at Seattle Times weighs in and gets ripped in comments for being a Mark Few lapdog. Unfortunate, but inevitable.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskies/2010120283_uwzags23.html

BobZag
10-23-2009, 10:20 AM
It didn't surprise me, though, to see some Zags perfectly willing to bend over and grab their ankles to make this happen. It was sad but not surprising.

sonuvazag
10-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Since this was not a legitimate offer, I can see how some Zag fans would want to call Romar on the bluff. But that's pride messin' with you! You gotta fight through that.

tinfoilzag
10-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Maybe we shouldn't be so cold.

We should at least consider giving a team like UW a chance to get some national exposure. :D

kylasdad
10-23-2009, 10:56 AM
As was pointed out during the Apple Cup tango, a site is not neutral if only one team has to make an overnight trip to play there, ticket distribution notwithstanding. The Bulldogs already have a long-standing Key game with rotating opponents that does quite well. Moreover, they will bring Michigan State, Wake Forest and Illinois to the Mac over the next few years, to say nothing of games with Washington State.

How do they continue to pursue deals with the likes of those programs if they sell out just to get the Huskies back on the schedule?

I think this is the biggest part of the deal. Its not about hurt feelings, disrespect, etc. Its about giving in to 1 teams lopsided terms. If GU gives in, then others want the same deal or at least think they can get them to roll over. Other schools would say, "home and home? no way."

The real elite programs that GU plays year in and year out are the ones we need. If GU accepted this deal, it could do more harm than good.

I say, "no deal Howie" (but I bet the mighty Sasquatch of Spokane would take the deal! Maybe try them Fuskies!!!)

gozagswoohoo
10-23-2009, 11:04 AM
It didn't surprise me, though, to see some Zags perfectly willing to bend over and grab their ankles to make this happen. It was sad but not surprising.

What exactly do you mean BZ? I'm not familiar with this terminology. Are they grabbing their ankles to fix their socks? Or they have an itch or something?

FuManShoes
10-23-2009, 11:17 AM
"We have plenty of games, so it's not that important for us to play Washington." Mark Few

I love this quote.

I HATE this quote. Whether it comes from GU's coach, UW's coach, an AD or fans, it's BS. This petty crap between the two schools -- and yes, I blame UW for it -- does a disservice to fans of boths schools and hoops lovers across the state. No I don't want GU bending over for Romar and Woody, but I also don't want them falling back on some lame SOS or RPI argument. It's not about building a resume, it's about an in-state rivalry game that needs to happen. Players need it. Fans need it.

NEC26
10-23-2009, 11:49 AM
I HATE this quote. Whether it comes from GU's coach, UW's coach, an AD or fans, it's BS. This petty crap between the two schools -- and yes, I blame UW for it -- does a disservice to fans of boths schools and hoops lovers across the state. No I don't want GU bending over for Romar and Woody, but I also don't want them falling back on some lame SOS or RPI argument. It's not about building a resume, it's about an in-state rivalry game that needs to happen. Players need it. Fans need it.

Totally agree this whole thing is pathetic which includes their joke of an offer but as a basketball fan and most importantly an ardent GU fan I would like to see this game played.

sonuvazag
10-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Since they don't need it and we don't need it, this game can only be arranged on fair terms. That's not pettiness. It's self-respect.

Scottie
10-23-2009, 11:54 AM
From an outsider's prospective, this is really absurd.

Does Washington not understand it's reputation outside of their own zip code vis-a-vis Gonzaga?

Washington is the average looking girl that goes out on a Friday night and acts like she's a supermodel prompting people at bars and clubs to say, "that girl is not nearly hot enough to have an attitude like that". That's UW; self-awareness is not one of their strong suits.

frontrangezag
10-23-2009, 12:01 PM
I have been patiently waiting for someone to paste Mark Few's head on Bigfoot or a Bigfoot baby just for laughs.

I know some of you out there can do it.

xjzico
10-23-2009, 12:40 PM
To me this only clarifies how the UW athletic department has been so poorly run for the last decade. The offer is insulting and the manner in which the offer was delivered suggests Woodmert is, at best, a petty politician or completely inept. This is one more instance in which they have completely mis-evaluated their position (see: Husky stadium remodel/Ty Willingham/football in general, womens basketball, swimming, baseball, Todd Turner/Woodmert's own job!).

I actually find it funny Husky fans are carrying water for these snake oil salesmen. And it's too bad because I actually like UW.

Sarenyon
10-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Perfect response from Coach Few!!!

Look, most of us would love to play this game, but until the Huskies decide to get their Chicken a$$ selves over the pass and play us at home or at least at the Spokane Arena for the 1st game, this is just a non-starter. GU can't be letting the "big, bad" purple chickens dictate any sort of deal when we are finally getting real competition coming to the Kennel for real home and homes. Remember last years home schedule? Does anyone want to see that again? If other universities see us roll over to the chickens, just because its good for basketball in the state, what will our starting position be for deals with them?

Home and home preferable, Spokane Arena, Key Arena, Home and Home after that on a four year rotation, otherwise, no dice... jmo

Postplayer57
10-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Bud Withers is one of the best Sports Writers not just in our State, but in the entire Country. He bends over backward to be fair to all and lets no personal animosity cloud his judgement. He deserves better than Seattle!

MDABE80
10-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Even up. Home and home or nothing at all. I like Bud, we email back and forth. Great guy and he does love the Zags. COmes to plenty of games n the Mac whenhe's over. He's fair......something some of those UW fans can't quite embrace. As much as I'd like to reinstall those annual beatdowns, it has to be mutually respectful and fair. If not, we go play the UConns, Dukes, UNC, Texas, etc...no big deal.

azzagfan
10-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Here's Gary Parrish's (cbssports.com) take on the offer (direct quote from E-mail):

"Mark would never agree to that, nor should he.

gp"

DADoZAG
10-23-2009, 04:25 PM
This just seems too simple. Can Romar really think that GU would accept this offer? Would anyone accept this offer?

Are we not giving Romar enough credit? What are the chances that this is simply a way for Romar to get that chicken monkey off his back, or appear too, maybe for a recruit?

Go ZAGS!

MickMick
10-23-2009, 06:04 PM
People are giving UW too much credit for having brains. This isn't a PR stunt.
They actually thought they were giving a good offer. Then they made the mistake of going public in an effort to coerce the Zags into accepting.

They are probably shocked at the type of response (from all levels) they are getting. Kinda like the shock of an arrogant high school kid being turned down for the prom.

UW Fight Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSZSxyCtF1M)

Reborn
10-24-2009, 06:35 AM

Good one BZ. I'm glad I reread this thread this morning. I'm lmao at your post Bob and several others that come after it. Thanks. This is one precious thread, and imo should be in the Hall of Fame. If for no other reason than that some of the posts will make almost every Zag fan smile and laugh with pride and honor.

dpouley
10-25-2009, 04:14 PM

Funny, from the reaction of most on this board you wouldn't think what Few says on this to be true.

FuManShoes
10-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Funny, from the reaction of most on this board you wouldn't think what Few says on this to be true.

It's a completely subjective point. Undoubtedly Few and many here do not believe a matchup against Washington is all that important given the Zags' schedule and the ridiculous demands of the UW. But speaking for myself and others who've decried the end of this series and silliness that followed, the series is important. So take that Truth! Not that it matters one whit to the powers to be and partisans on both sides. Next up: Insurance industry offers to cover everyone for $1 million apiece. Take it or leave? There can be only one answer.

billyberu
10-25-2009, 07:29 PM

Brilliant observation...Judging by the length of threads on Dawgfman I think the same could be said of either board.

montanazag88
10-25-2009, 08:07 PM
I can't understand why he would risk such a blunder in front of his alumni. Like it or not, this IS the year most anyone would like to intiate a home&home with the Zags. Low on experience, the Zags are prime candidates for ideally (if you're a foe) a 2-year deal. Romar would be limiting the potential for a boot-licking and be in a position to regain some respect from his alumni. Instead, he throws out this insincere blahhh...and there for everyone to see is a repeat of the "tail between the legs" episode.

Beating the Zags anymore is like finally downing that trophy elk...it just doesn't happen that often - requiring years of paying homage to the big-game gawds. However, this year is different. So, what does Romar do to take advantage? Wow. All one can say is that was a complete bust for UW and its fans. Their coach just confirmed to the world they don't believe they can stay with the Zags even with the least experienced team in years.

Ooftah.

dpouley
10-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Brilliant observation...Judging by the length of threads on Dawgfman I think the same could be said of either board.

Maybe, but I am not the one that is claiming that the game is not important.

soccerdud
10-26-2009, 11:52 AM
importance depends on perspective. you have a lot of fans who would like to see the game, including myself. that's absolutely true. however, any arguments that it is important to: our rpi, our national prestige or exposure, our overall recruiting prospects, the financial or moral health of the program, the support of fans/alumni, etc is complete hogwash.

regional rivalries are fun. however, gonzaga is a national team. UW is not right now. there is no point whatsoever in debasing ourselves and accepting a bush league offer that would weaken our bargaining position against other, better teams.

the only attraction this offer has to me (and, i think, many others on this board), is the opportunity to step on UWs throat, in their hometown. it would be unimaginably sweet to embarass romar after letting him dictate the terms.

however, it's not worth the possibility of losing some bargaining capital for negotiating games with, you know, real nationally relevant programs.

ZaginLaw
10-26-2009, 07:10 PM
You'd think the Huskies would jump at Few's counter offer of converting a 3 year deal in Key Arena to a 5 year deal in Spokane Arena. 5 > 3. That's two more years of playing a national team than the Huskies originally proposed.

Brilliant.

Few is awesome.

zagster318
10-26-2009, 08:13 PM
http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20091025?sub_id=CEQo04pOCHKtq&folio=CGI#pg53

FuManShoes
10-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Can you summarize for us non-subscribers? thx

MBZags
10-26-2009, 11:43 PM
I got through fine, but my friend said he got the subscription page. Anyway, here's a screenshot: http://img25.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20091027at124.png/

ZagNative
10-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks for that screenshot. I had gotten the subscription page too.

The story doesn't say anything new, nothing we haven't read 50 times already, and no new slant or opinion.

VaBeachZAG
10-27-2009, 04:05 AM
True, there is nothing new in the article, but I think it is great that the story is being widely disseminated. It has to be very embarrassing to UW which, hopefully, will curb Romar's enthusiasm for any more nonsensical proposals.

cjm720
10-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Thankfully this situation is getting a lot of ink. The sports world is on record that Romar is a ####bag, and the Zags aren't backing down.

ZaginLaw
10-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Romar won't quit. In fact, he's right now on the phone trying to renegotiate UW's Pac-10 away games to Key Arena as well. Pac-10 home games at Hec-Ed and away games at Key Arena. If anyone doesn't like it their just jealous that their coach didn't think of it first...

Huskies have taken over the Ducks in the delusions of grandeur category - IMHO.

MDABE80
10-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Romar is a grea recruiter...we've said that for years now! Outside of that, can he coach? Is he a clever scheduler? "NO" to both. Now the rest of the college BBALL ranks knows he's a bit "light" whenit comes to setting a reasonably good schedule whenit comes to the Zags. Zags have tons of respect.....earned I might add without taxpayer dollars. I think a picture is slowly being painted. He lost lots of respect on this gaff. I mean C"MON!!.....comin and goin he's got torched for quitting anf then got torched again for this silly attempt.

He's a good man. I do think we've seen enough of this type of nonsense. We keep our side of the street clean. It's all we can ask. Let's see how the kids do with this menacing schedule. Movin on....

ZagNative
10-27-2009, 01:59 PM
By Chas Rich at Fanhouse (http://forum.goazcats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
Washington Makes Unserious Opening Offer to Play Gonzaga
Posted Oct 27, 2009 11:37AM

Having lost eight of 10 games to Gonzaga between 1997 and 2006, the Washington Huskies felt they needed a break because "the schedule began to get away from us." Apparently, that was code for "tired of being beaten by an in-state team from a non-power conference."

Well, after a few years of finding themselves, Washington would like to renew the series with Gonzaga. Just as long as the games are played for Washington's benefit.

Rather than play a home-and-home type of series with Gonzaga as had been done (and how Gonzaga plays it with Washington State, Wake Forest, Illinois, and Michigan State), Washington wants a three game series to be played at Key Arena in Seattle as a neutral site contest. Apparently playing a scant five miles from Washington's campus still constitutes a "neutral" site to Washington's athletic department as long as the ticket sales are split 50-50.

Unsurprisingly, Gonzaga is not interested in that kind of arrangement. Gonzaga already plays an annual game at Key Arena in the Battle in Seattle that annually pits them against a national opponent. There is little incentive to make a second trip of nearly 300 miles for a "neutral" court game. To say nothing of the additional costs the Bulldogs would incur to make the trip.

Gonzaga wants a home-and-home, but would likely settle for a "neutral court" system as long as the games were split between Key Arena and the Spokane Arena -- about two miles from the Gonzaga campus. Washington, having made the whole offer public very quickly, sees this working only one way.
Washington has been taking shots the last couple years for not renewing the in-state series. Some of this is clearly an attempt to shift the pressure over to the Zags.

Eventually the series will be renewed. Most likely as a home-and-home or alternating "neutral sites." In the meantime, it can be a bit of entertaining sniping and gamesmanship to play out via the media.

FuManShoes
10-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Question for the group: Have any of you seen/heard/read anything outside of KJR Homer diatribes that suggest this is a fair offer? I haven't.

ZagNative
10-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Question for the group: Have any of you seen/heard/read anything outside of KJR Homer diatribes that suggest this is a fair offer? I haven't.Many Husky fans are just wild-eyed enough to be content to just hammer on Bud Withers for pointing out the fact the emperor had no clothes on. I, personally, have not seen anyone in the Seattle media beside Bud with enough guts to call this deal for what it is - an embarrassment to Lorenzo Romar and the UW A.D. Pitiful.

sonuvazag
10-27-2009, 02:29 PM
The more this story develops, the more Mike Roth's comments about private negotiations seems to be helpful advice rather than chiding.

ZagNative
10-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I wonder what can be done to break this log jam and move on. You know, I just had this little fantasy ... I imagined Mark Few picking up the phone and placing a call to Lorenzo Romar and scheduling a secret meeting of him and Lorenzo and their A.D.s at a neutral site, maybe a place like Wenatchee, with a block of time set aside just to identify their conflicts and see if they can work toward a solution. Air grievances and see if they can reach some compromises, with the goal of doing what's best for basketball fans in the state.

As it is, everybody's attitude seems to be "Screw 'em." Maybe it will end up that it just confirms they can't stand each other and all talk about starting the series up again should be put behind them and be a done deal. But the current pattern of circling and growling, while kind of fun to watch, is not conducive to fans on both sides of the mountain getting what they want.

I'd really be proud if Mark Few were the one to extend the olive branch, not in a way that would show signs of weakness, but in a way that would show he's just above squabbling and provides an opening to at least begin respectful talks.

Where's George Mitchell when you need him?

FuManShoes
10-27-2009, 04:10 PM
...I imagined Mark Few picking up the phone and placing a call to Lorenzo Romar and scheduling a secret meeting of him and Lorenzo and their A.D.s at a neutral site, maybe a place like Wenatchee ...

Don't you mean a place like the Tyee Clubhouse? :)

And didn't you get the memo: you cannot negotiate with dictators! Of course I say that in jest because I am also hopeful that for OUR sake, the fans' sake -- the admins will break the logjam and the series will resume in a manner befitting its, shall we say, "liveliness."

ZaginLaw
10-27-2009, 04:31 PM
ZN- I hope you jest. It's CBB, not diplomacy. The solution doesn't need olive branches, signs of weaknesses, or identifying conflicts. The only solution to the cancelled in-state series is to restart the same home and home series or keep it cancelled. There is nothing of value to trade or negotiate. Offers beyond that show a lack of understanding of basketball, delusions of grandeur, or both.

It's simply basketball, nothing more, nothing less...

ZagNative
10-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Alrighty, then! Just appealed to me for a minute there. Silly me! Something was nagging me, and I see now it was just the cocktail hour I heard calling.

One Merlot later, I've come to my senses and am scouting for projectiles to lob westward! Take that, LoRo!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/MontyPythonCowCatapault.jpg

ZagNative
10-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Oh! Wait! As this thread is already trending dangerously toward attracting the dreaded Foo hammer, I have to first add this weapon to the Few & Co. arsenal:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/chickencatapult.jpg