PDA

View Full Version : OT: UK's Wall has eligibility issues

MickMick
10-22-2009, 02:54 PM
link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4586311)

No UK....you can't have GJ back.

My question is...How does Wall come up with "pay back" money?

Das Zagger
10-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Kudos to coach Cal, this has to be a record for him.

Zageist
10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Is this news?

BobZag
10-22-2009, 04:25 PM
I am shocked.

Radbooks
10-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Well, that didn't take long...

IowaZag
10-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Good to see they're investigating now, instead of discovering it next year when Wall is in the NBA.

CB4
10-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Don't blame the players or coaches, their sole agenda is basketball... blame the bureaucratic NCAA. Cal is trying to develop players and he does a damn good job of it. The NCAA needs to become more lenient and stop punishing kids who don't know better.

cjm720
10-23-2009, 07:22 AM
link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4586311)
My question is...How does Wall come up with "pay back" money?

Coach C's debit card?

wazZag
10-23-2009, 07:40 AM
Ahh the iron triangle of basketball recruiting rears its ugly head again:

Shoe companies > AAU coaches > NCAA coaches

NorthwestsFinest
10-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Don't blame the players or coaches, their sole agenda is basketball... blame the bureaucratic NCAA. Cal is trying to develop players and he does a damn good job of it. The NCAA needs to become more lenient and stop punishing kids who don't know better.

just because they don't know better doesn't mean its OK and should be tolerated... Just because they are great athletes doesn't mean they should be able to bend the rules.

kitzbuel
10-23-2009, 08:27 AM
What? You are kidding, right.

A source also told ESPN.com that Kentucky has been investigating Wall's eligibility for months because his former AAU coach was a certified agent.

Wall's agent (sorry - coach) didn't have a suspicion that high school players aren't supposed to have agents if they want to be eligible to play NCAA ball? Maybe Wall needs a better agent. He shoud have talked to OJ Mayo.

75Zag
10-23-2009, 09:02 AM
I am sure there are honest players, coaches, "career advisers" and parents affiliated with AAU ball, but there are also a significant number of lying, cheating creeps. If this kid's only sin was to play on a team coached by an "agent", punishing him or UK seems absurd. However, if he accepted anything more than the usual AAU freebies of shoes, tickets, travel, gear, clothing, etc., then maybe it is a different situation.

The NCAA reminds me of the guy in Casablanca who was "shocked, shocked" that gambling was going on at Rick's. The NCAA is "shocked, shocked" that money-throwing athletic shoe companies and crooked agents are getting to a significant number of poor inner city elite bb kids. But the NCAA does not want to look too closely under those rocks, or the entire "amateur" athletic fiction will go down the drain - and perhaps all those million dollar NCAA executive salaries along with it.

CB4
10-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Regardless of whether you guys disagree with me on how the NCAA handles its athletes under the current regulations they have in place, it's a shame to see an athlete have to sit out a year. All these kids want to do is play college basketball, and like the Kong situation nearly ended up, it would be a damn shame to see a young man's dream shattered.

It's really difficult for the NCAA to regulate this kind of thing, and when they do it's not done properly... the player is punished. What's the harm in a kid having an agent while he is in college? Someone to help them with day to day stuff, their marketability, career opportunities, even help him manage academics.

Also, since when does a difference of opinion deserve a neg rep?

DADoZAG
10-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Regardless of whether you guys disagree with me on how the NCAA handles its athletes under the current regulations they have in place, it's a shame to see an athlete have to sit out a year. All these kids want to do is play college basketball, and like the Kong situation nearly ended up, it would be a damn shame to see a young man's dream shattered.

I agree, how in the world does an agent end up being an AAU coach? There's been plenty of discussion on this board about AAU, there really seems to be a problem with that system.

It's really difficult for the NCAA to regulate this kind of thing, and when they do it's not done properly... the player is punished. What's the harm in a kid having an agent while he is in college? Someone to help them with day to day stuff, their marketability, career opportunities, even help him manage academics.

Can't agree on this one, unless the rules change. It's like going 45 in a 35mph zone, and then saying you didn't deserve the speeding ticket because conditions seemed right for going 45. Unless Wall had no idea the coach was an agent, that muddies the water some. Its like not having a posted speed limit and getting the ticket, ya, I'd fight that one.

Back to agreeing with ya. Common folks, disagree if you want, but a neg rep on a respectfull post?

Go ZAGS!

willandi
10-23-2009, 05:52 PM

If he's that good, he can play a year in Europe, then get drafted here. No shattered dreams there!!

TexasZagFan
10-24-2009, 11:02 AM

Let me guess...it was anonymous. :lmao:

Check your user cp...

Postplayer57
10-24-2009, 12:01 PM
The anonymus Negative rep is this dork's signature. Don't worry about him , he's just like an onion sandwich , keeps coming back!

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Kentucky wanted Calipari, and now they got him. I'd just love to see Worldwide Wes' name somehow pop up in this whole mess.