PDA

View Full Version : Texas scrimmage?

Zerogame
10-21-2009, 09:30 PM
It seems to me that the Zags have a planned scrimmage against the Texas Longhorns again. If so, it appears that one prognosticator, Fran Fraschilla, thinks this may be Coach Barneís best team ever. Should give coach Few a good indicator where the Zags are at early season.

This is Rick Barnes' deepest team -- and, possibly, his best.
This is the deepest and most athletic team Barnes has had at Texas. In fact, he has more possible combinations to play than a Rubik's Cube.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4582491&name=ncbexperts

If I'm wrong about the scrimmage then, "Never mind."

Ezag
10-21-2009, 09:52 PM
I really hate ESPN especially ESPN Insider- what a load of crock

BobZag
10-22-2009, 09:27 AM
This scrimmage will do the Zags a TON of good. First, Texas is a Top-5 team this year and will show the Zags just what to expect vs Michigan State, another Top-5 team. Texas will show the coaches the areas the Zags need to work on most. Any weaknesses will be exposed.

I love this scrimmage for the young guys. GU needs to have its eyes opened early so they can step up and do battle with all the heavies they'll play.

I think it'll take place in Denver or SLC.

Zerogame
10-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Has a date been set? The guard play should be real interesting. Bob do you expect a report?

BobZag
10-22-2009, 11:01 AM
It will likely be the weekend between Nov. 2 and Nov. 14. Reports will be sketchy. Some Texas folks usually have some info about it.

former1dog
10-22-2009, 11:13 AM
I think it'll take place in Denver or SLC.

What's the chances of a civilian getting into this thing?

Reborn
10-22-2009, 11:16 AM
It sounds like this will take place before the Michigan St. game. That's great. This will give Coach Few an opportunity to see his new players up against some great players. It's one thing to play in your own gym against your own guys, but it's a whole lot better to see how your guys match up against a real quality opponent. I would guess that we may not hear much about the results of this scrimmage. It may be best to keep it private. I wouldn't want others to know how good we are going to be. Texas will be a dominant force in the paint, and will provide a great opportunity for Sacre and Harris. I seriously doubt that either will be intimidated. I think they are both around 21 years old, which would be the age of a junior. These guys are not Freshmen in age. And because of the level that Harris has played at, I don't think he's a true Freshman in experience either.

BobZag
10-22-2009, 11:37 AM
What's the chances of a civilian getting into this thing?

0%

gozagswoohoo
10-22-2009, 12:36 PM
0%

Well ok, but is that out of....like 100? or 1000?

NotoriousZ
10-22-2009, 01:51 PM
0%

Not even you, Bob?

BobZag
10-22-2009, 03:04 PM
It's Saturday Nov. 7th in the Pepsi Center (Denver).

sittingon50
10-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Bob; is that 0% time zone adjusted for woohoo?

BroncoZAG615
10-22-2009, 04:51 PM
It's Saturday Nov. 7th in the Pepsi Center (Denver).

I might get arrested trying, but I'll do my best to get in.

BobZag
10-22-2009, 05:21 PM

We'll start taking up donations for your bail money, BroncoZ.

ZagNative
10-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I wonder how intensely they prepare for this scrimmage, whether they treat the preps as they would for a regular game, with scouting reports, film, assignments, etc.

This is what Meehan wrote about the scrimmage last year:
Schools have the option of playing two exhibition games or two scrimmages or one of each. Gonzaga, for the second straight year, played an exhibition game (Wayne State) and scrimmaged Saturday against Texas in Denver. A year ago, Gonzaga scrimmaged Portland State.

This year's scenario worked out well, coach Mark Few said.

"That’s the best thing we’ve done, by far," Few said. "Maybe because it's Rick (Barnes, Texas coach) and I are such good friends, but I think it was more because of the competition. It was just good."

The two teams locked themselves in the gym (Matt Bouldin's high school gym at ThunderRidge, with a couple of Bouldin's Colorado Player of the Year Banners hanging on the walls).

"That's the best thing about it: It's just basketball," Few said. "And we were able to do some professional development staff to staff the night before, comparing recruiting strategies, notes and different philosophies on everything."

Few and Barnes talk roughly once a week during the season.That was lifted from this post on guboards 11/10/08 (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=15145). Can't link to the original Meehan post because the links in SportsLink stories back then are messed up now.

BobZag
10-23-2009, 05:27 PM
They treat it like a real game. Refs are flown in. Meals are catered in. They film it and then break down that film and grade out the guys. This year, especially, it will be a big day for figuring playing time and basically who makes the main rotation, etc. They do take it seriously and try to simulate real games. Last year they played 3 halfs, the final half mostly experimenting. This year, who knows, they may need more game time and go 4 halfs. It is waaaaaaay better than exhibition games for making progress, mostly due to the high caliber of competition. Texas is full of studs.

Zaggin' it
10-24-2009, 01:47 PM

These things have rules to them and the NCAA takes them very seriously. Absolutely noone but team personnel are allowed inside and there can be no promotion or publicity of the event. A random fan trying to infiltrate such an event can have negative consequences for the team so I suggest you don't.

BroncoZAG615
10-24-2009, 01:59 PM
These things have rules to them and the NCAA takes them very seriously. Absolutely noone but team personnel are allowed inside and there can be no promotion or publicity of the event. A random fan trying to infiltrate such an event can have negative consequences for the team so I suggest you don't.

It's a mock-basketball game, not a military base. Anyways, I was speaking tongue in cheek. Doesn't mean I can't just linger around hoping for an opportunity :)

DixieZag
10-24-2009, 03:22 PM
I think I answered my own question while writing it. Overall this is a great opportunity. My only worry, and it certainly is outweighed by the upside, is a bit of loss of confidence for the younger players who may have unrealistic expectations of themselves at this point.

If Texas is a loaded as advertised a young man may not appreciate that these things take time and that they should in no way take the result as an indication of what they are capable of.

dim4sum
10-24-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't think the Zags have a guard that is quick enough to handle Avery Bradley. Hope they prove me wrong. Meech is too small, Bouldin too slow and so is Steven. Vilarino also too small. Can Arop or Kong be the missing link ?maybe even switch Harris to a guard spot as a defensive stopper. Few has a wonderful assortment of chess pieces he can move around. Let this be the year we learn to shutdown troublesome guards and deny the three

75Zag
10-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Given the reported love fest between Few and the Texas coach, why don't they schedule a home-and-home? Secret scrimmages seem a bit silly to me. Real games could be seen and reported by the fans and as a GU fan I would much rather see GU play Texas and either win or lose than to have GU waste a game against an obscure Division II (or is it III) at home.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Kiddwell
10-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Given the reported love fest between Few and the Texas coach, why don't they schedule a home-and-home? Secret scrimmages seem a bit silly to me.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Secret scrimmages have the considerable advantages of not showing up on one's W-L record, promoting comraderie between programs, and providing both parties with quality talent/skills evaluations.

And scrimmaging Texas in particular promotes GU just a smidgen more in the hearts & minds of Texas high school b-ballers (without turning off those same high schoolers when GU beats Texas).

Let's play Tennessee, Memphis, Oklahoma, etc. in the regular season, and Texas only when the stars align in the pre-season tourneys and NCAAs.

:]

tyra
10-24-2009, 07:52 PM
My cousin's brother-in-law works at the Pepsi Center (part time) on the security staff. He owes me one.

sittingon50
10-24-2009, 10:35 PM
I imagine it costs a little more to turn on the lights @ the Pepsi Center as opposed to Bouldin's HS Gym. Any idea how that's going to work? Both programs going to pony up?

BobZag
10-25-2009, 10:00 AM
I imagine it costs a little more to turn on the lights @ the Pepsi Center as opposed to Bouldin's HS Gym. Any idea how that's going to work? Both programs going to pony up?

Connections, I assume.

CDC84
10-25-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't think the Zags have a guard that is quick enough to handle Avery Bradley. Hope they prove me wrong. Meech is too small, Bouldin too slow and so is Steven. Vilarino also too small. Can Arop or Kong be the missing link ?maybe even switch Harris to a guard spot as a defensive stopper. Few has a wonderful assortment of chess pieces he can move around. Let this be the year we learn to shutdown troublesome guards and deny the three

This is exactly why these scrimmages are so valuable. You want to face players that'll give you trouble. It's how you learn about your team and its weaknesses, and what you need to do to cover up those weaknesses.

MickMick
10-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Avery is going to be trouble for everyone he faces. That is why is a 5 star recruit and went to Texas. He is also a freshman and will have some initial growing pains. He is a two guard so I would guess that Gray will be defending him.

I don't care for the defeatist thinking. Zags are where they are at because they find ways to compete with these type of players.

ZagNative
10-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Wow. I can't imagine what it will be like to play in an empty arena like the Pepsi Center, with only ten guys on the floor and a handful of insider observers and guys on the bench.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2276/2217405538_d13c7b1a4f.jpg

Interesting choice of venues for a private scrimmage ....

BobZag
10-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Wow. I can't imagine what it will be like to play in an empty arena like the Pepsi Center, with only ten guys on the floor and a handful of insider observers and guys on the bench.

It'll take place on the practice court, not this main court.

ZagNative
10-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Ah, so! No Goodyear blimp above court then?

BobZag
10-25-2009, 05:06 PM
No, but maybe the Met Life blimp "Snoopy One". :)

Zerogame
10-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Iíve gone back and forth on which team is the deepest in the nation Ė between Kansas, Kentucky and Texas.

Iím going with the Longhorns Ė whose 14th man, Florida transfer Jai Lucas, isnít even on scholarship. Freshman Shawn Williams is probably No. 13 Ė and he could start for about 250 or so programs in the country.
He said Washington played St. Mary's in a secret scrimmage this past week. like to know how that turned out.
http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/

rdulay8
10-29-2009, 03:57 PM

thats amway arena in orlando, not the pepsi center in denver

CB4
10-29-2009, 04:10 PM
I was going to ask the same Q the Pepsi Center as a choice for the venue. The practice court makes sense though. Any clue if some kind of series could result from a scrimmage like this in the near future? I sure hope so.

BobZag
10-29-2009, 04:52 PM
I was going to ask the same Q the Pepsi Center as a choice for the venue. The practice court makes sense though. Any clue if some kind of series could result from a scrimmage like this in the near future? I sure hope so.

Wish I could answer yes, but I don't know.

Interesting Texas is one spot behind Sparty (#3 to #2) in the Coachers Poll. This scrimmage could be a blessing.

bigblahla
10-29-2009, 05:08 PM
He said Washington played St. Mary's in a secret scrimmage this past week. like to know how that turned out.

According to folks on the Gaels board SMC more than held their own. WCC will be some fun this year.

Go!! Zags!!!

NotoriousZ
10-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerogame

According to folks on the Gaels board SMC more than held their own. WCC will be some fun this year. Go!! Zags!!!

Yes, but according to Romar the Huskies didn't give up a single basket and made every one of theirs.

willandi
10-29-2009, 05:59 PM
"Yes, but according to Romar the Huskies didn't give up a single basket and made every one of theirs."

Its like Pravda reported on a US/USSR dual track meet, in the late 60's (I think). The USSR came in second while the US finished next to last.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

FuManShoes
10-29-2009, 07:08 PM
From ESPN Rumors blog:

Huskies struggle in scrimmage?
October 27, 2009
10:14 AM ET

Although Washington's scrimmage with Saint Mary's (Calif.) was closed to the public and media, it is fair to say that the scrimmage was a bit of struggle.

Based on many of the Huskies' tweets, there is a still a need for practice. Isaiah Thomas' tweeted, "On the bus headed to the airport...We played horrible the 1st 20min but after that we played like Washington basketball suppose to play!" Freshman Abdul Gaddy tweeted, "Learned a lot about our team!! Time to get back n the lab and improve on weaknesses....".

Although it is way too early to make any predictions, these type of scrimmages are great because it allows teams to work on plays against opponents, rather than their own teammates.

"Back in the lab" - I like that

Zerogame
10-29-2009, 10:51 PM
From ESPN Rumors blog:

"Back in the lab" - I like that

As much as I would like to think the Fuskies are overated, they have been hit hard with flu (7 players), so they have not been able to practice much.

Vizagra
10-30-2009, 09:05 AM
that and I bet Samhan had a field day on the boards.

gozagswoohoo
10-30-2009, 09:10 AM
that and I bet Samhan had a field day on the boards.

Yeah, maybe the smorgasbord

roxdoc
10-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Re: to the earlier post on the great depth of Texas, Kentucky, and Kansas. I wonder if people on those school's boards are constantly wringing their hands on the topic of inadequate playing time for the second five? Just askin.

Midwestzag
10-31-2009, 06:10 AM
I imagine that the "UW basketball lab" is much like an experimental psych. lab rat experiment: the subjects learn by trial and error with no structure or guidance from the experimenter other than the walls of the maze. Thus, Romar throws out the ball; UW players stay within the lines of the court; they run around aimlessly and shoot; if the ball goes in they are reinforced and may repeat the scatterbrained brand of basketball that defines the Huskies.:)

The GU basketball lab is for advanced graduate students only and involves higher level cognitive processes such as planning, impulse inhibition, cognitive flexibility, cooperation, delay of gratification, etc.

BobZag
10-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Re: to the earlier post on the great depth of Texas, Kentucky, and Kansas. I wonder if people on those school's boards are constantly wringing their hands on the topic of inadequate playing time for the second five? Just askin.

Nope. It's dog eat dog at those factories. UK and KU fans have no mercy. Except Texas, which is a football school and basketball is an afterhought, even though Barnes puts out a great product. Rarely do they sellout.

Zagineer
10-31-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm glad to see BZ reported the meeting date is next weekend (11/7) and not this weekend. Denver has a little snow to contend with this weekend.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Zagineer/DenverSnow2009.jpg

Here' a link to the short article.

http://www.indenvertimes.com/snow-departs-denver-but-plains-enduring-blizzard/

Zerogame
11-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Texas Scrimmage: "Where The Rubber Meets The Road!"