PDA

View Full Version : Katz on Harris and Kong

zagballer6
10-20-2009, 01:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4579598&name=katz_andy

Pencil German national team member Elias Harris into Gonzaga's starting lineup. Harris has been a huge hit since he arrived from Europe. A scorer on the wing, he will pair up with Robert Sacre inside with the Zags using Matt Bouldin, Demetri Goodson and Steven Gray on the perimeter. The celebrated arrival of Sudanese/Canadian national Bol Kong should be muted a bit. Kong will be a player, but is coming along slowly. So slow down on the hype.

hockeyzag
10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Elias is going to be a STUD. So excited to see him play.

cjm720
10-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Sounds like Katz was writing about the GUBoards...hahaha. Glad to see Elias get some good ink.

go Zags!!!

BobZag
10-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Katz hypes freshmen fresh outta high school, and he tells us to slow down on the hype? Hahah, that's funny.

I just hope Kong's ankle isn't too bad.

The team needs one or two more newbies to step up with Elias.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-20-2009, 02:18 PM
It's been said before, but I would love to see Elias turn into a more skilled version of Diamon Simpson. He has the same build and top notch athleticism, so I think that's a realistic possibility.

NorthwestsFinest
10-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Harris reminds me of Blake Griffin... I may be way off, but that's just what I get from him so far... Man, the Freshmen/sophomore class has been so hyped up I cannot hardly stand waiting for November. I really hope they all pan out, because I'm expecting the most talented Zag team ever in the next couple years.

BobZag
10-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Ive never thought of Blake Griffin when thinking about Elias. Doubt I ever will. I just hope he can be smilar to Casey Calvary.

hockeyzag
10-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Katz hypes freshmen fresh outta high school, and he tells us to slow down on the hype? Hahah, that's funny.

I just hope Kong's ankle isn't too bad.

The team needs one or two more newbies to step up with Elias.

Did I miss something?!?!? Kong's ankle? What happened BZ??

MickMick
10-20-2009, 02:46 PM
You have to believe he is relaying a message straight from Few.

Now what is this about Kong's ankle?

FuManShoes
10-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Blake Griffin? Really? This Blake Griffin?

http://graysmatter.codivation.com/content/binary/UltimateWarriorArmTassels.jpg

SunDevilGolfZag
10-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Ive never thought of Blake Griffin when thinking about Elias. Doubt I ever will. I just hope he can be smilar to Casey Calvary.

I'm wondering if Elias could be a Bakari Hendrix type of player. I would take that in a heartbeat. Seems like about the same size with similar skill sets?

BobZag
10-20-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm wondering if Elias could be a Bakari Hendrix type of player. I would take that in a heartbeat. Seems like about the same size with similar skill sets?

Very good comparison, SDGZ. Hendrix or Calvary would be nice for Elias.

As for Kong, I view him as a Juco transfer and it takes, at minimum, half a season for them to get in the groove, sometimes a full season. He'll be a player, a very good player, but like a Juco transfer it'll be a process.

sullyzag66
10-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Very good comparison, SDGZ. Hendrix or Calvary would be nice for Elias.

As for Kong, I view him as a Juco transfer and it takes, at minimum, half a season for them to get in the groove, sometimes a full season. He'll be a player, a very good player, but like a Juco transfer it'll be a process.
. . .if his ankle's not too bad? Ankle. We're talkin' about ankle? Ankle.

NorthwestsFinest
10-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Big Will hurt the LEGEND? Oh man, He better prove himself this year.

Nevtelen
10-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Hope the ankle's only minor since he doesn't have a redshirt season left, but I'm not too surprised about Kong - as has been mentioned on this board, the guy hasn't played in an organized bball game (let alone one at the D-I level) in more than a year. It'll take him a while to get up to speed, maybe even a whole season.

Glad to hear Elias is doing well - we REALLY need him to be good, especially considering the potential for trouble with Manny's injuries.

JohnOGU
10-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Heard the ankle is going to be fine. On another note...Apparently Elias is simply "a man among boys" at the 4. I guess he just takes the other guys to the wood-shed in practice. Rob is the only one who can hold his own.

23dpg
10-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Heard the ankle is going to be fine. On another note...Apparently Elias is simply "a man among boys" at the 4. I guess he just takes the other guys to the wood-shed in practice. Rob is the only one who can hold his own.

That's great.........or maybe terrible.:confused:

ZagsGoZags
10-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Kong's ankle? I thought Arop was the one with a possible minor injury problem. Did I miss the thread on Kong's ankle?

Zagquette
10-21-2009, 04:52 AM
Can we just start the season already....

The speculation and predictions are making my head spin.

BZ: "With Few wanting Kong to be an "aggressive scorer", is it possible Bol kinda gradually becomes an Adam Morrison type where the offense revolves around him and he becomes the definitive go-to guy?"

BZ: "If there is going to be "the next Ammo" or "the next Daye", Kelly Olynyk would appear best-suited to fit that bill. Similar length, skills, etc. So that begs the question, does the staff begin thinking about building around Olynyk,"

BZ: "As for Kong, I view him as a Juco transfer and it takes, at minimum, half a season for them to get in the groove, sometimes a full season."

Katz: "Pencil German national team member Elias Harris into Gonzaga's starting lineup. Harris has been a huge hit since he arrived from Europe."

And then someone throws in a Bakari Hendrix reference..... Really? Unless you were fortunate to be a committed memeber of the Kennel Club in the dark days of GU basketball or live in Spokane in 1990s, most of us have never seen Hendrix play.

I just want to see these guys with my own eyes.

Peace

zagfan1
10-21-2009, 08:22 AM
I watched Bakari play in a game (I think it was a WCC game) and he broke some dudes nose while rebounding off of a missed shot. He was a tough mo fo in his day.

BobZag
10-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Can we just start the season already....

The speculation and predictions are making my head spin.

BZ: "With Few wanting Kong to be an "aggressive scorer", is it possible Bol kinda gradually becomes an Adam Morrison type where the offense revolves around him and he becomes the definitive go-to guy?"

BZ: "If there is going to be "the next Ammo" or "the next Daye", Kelly Olynyk would appear best-suited to fit that bill. Similar length, skills, etc. So that begs the question, does the staff begin thinking about building around Olynyk,"

BZ: "As for Kong, I view him as a Juco transfer and it takes, at minimum, half a season for them to get in the groove, sometimes a full season."

Katz: "Pencil German national team member Elias Harris into Gonzaga's starting lineup. Harris has been a huge hit since he arrived from Europe."

And then someone throws in a Bakari Hendrix reference..... Really? Unless you were fortunate to be a committed memeber of the Kennel Club in the dark days of GU basketball or live in Spokane in 1990s, most of us have never seen Hendrix play.

Peace

All in time, my padawan. All in time. My comments refer to the future, next year and beyond, not this year.

Hendrix and Calvary may have been the toughest Zags in the last 15 years. Since Elias is built similarly, let's hope he can be like those two.

:starwars: Grrrrrr.

ZagNative
10-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Elias built similarly to Bakari?

Bakari now (Nov. 2007):

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Others/Ausies/Hendrix-Nov1007DragonsvCrocs.jpg

Bakari then ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Others/Ausies/BakariHendrix.jpg

Postplayer57
10-21-2009, 10:05 AM
An acquaintance who is fortunate enough to watch most practices tells of more than a couple instances when freshman drivers heading for the hole at warp speed with dunking on their minds were brought up short by the sight of Rob & Will on defense at the same time. Probably not going to happen often, but a couple times per game would tend to discourage some of the more aggressive practitioners of the art. I've also hear that some wag will christen Andy " Captain Hook " some day, he is showing that ability with either hand now.Mr guy also says Few can in rality go ten deep withthis team and not lose a thing .

Colbyspapa
10-21-2009, 10:11 AM

Peace

Dark Days of GU Basketball??? GU won 22 games in 95, 16 in 96 and 25 in 97. Those teams had Santangelo, Frahm, Spink, Q, Calvary, Floyd and Nielson on them. Bakari and Frahm played in the NBA. So I would be happy if Harris turns out to be a Bakari Hendrix type player, maybe with better offensive skills because Bakari was a swatting and rebounding machien. I don't really consider those dark days of GU basketball. People forget we have won 75% of our games for close to 20 years, not just the last 10. We went to our first NCAA tournament in 95 not 99.

BobZag
10-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Elias is just a frosh, y'know. :)

Elias built similarly to Bakari?

Bakari now (Nov. 2007):

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Others/Ausies/Hendrix-Nov1007DragonsvCrocs.jpg

Bakari then ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Others/Ausies/BakariHendrix.jpg

SamwiseTheZag
10-21-2009, 10:14 AM
I was fortunate enough to watch Mr. Hendrix and Mr. Calvary as a loyal KC member... And if E. Harris is drawing comps with those two, he has an attribute that is much needed this season... Toughness.

Let's hope for that at the very minimum.

Funny thing about all the Kong treated like a JUCO talk is that Mr Hendrix fit that mold to a T. First half of his Junior year he didn't even start consistently, and spent some time in Fitz's doghouse. Second half of the year he started to play really well. Then Senior year was an absolute beast. I remember when he got a board in the NIT vs Hawaii, and cleared space with his elbow on a dudes face, with extreme force. Totally legal and totally vicious. Too bad Anthony Carter had to kill us that game.

Anyways, here's to Elias having a great year at the 4.