PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to common sense in the MLB?

HillBillyZag
04-10-2007, 12:46 PM
As if the Steroid controversy, popularity of the game and other player issues are not enough on the plate, now the weather has refused to cooperate and games are being snowed and rained out at an alarming rate. IMHO it does not take a rocket scientist to know that most of these wounds are self-inflicted. As in any other field of human endeavor,GREED has played a large part. Going from the old 154+ game schedule to 162+ may not seem like much of a jump, but in areas of the Country where Spring weather is iffy, that extra time has caused numerous costly cancellations along with some games being played under conditions that are ridicules for the fans and downright dangerous for the players. The addition of the Wild-card play-off games in the fall has also on some occaisions been affected by seasonal weather. Why not amend the schedule to open after April the 15th and the post-season should begin no later than the 1st of September. At least a portion of the lost revenue would be recouped by better total attendance and over time, prolonging careers damaged by playing in poor conditions. I suppose that every franchise could be forced to commit to a dome,but this fan believes baseball was meant to be played on GOD's good green grass under a nice warm sun and the adult beverages being consumed should be a good cold beer, or an ice tea, not hot cocoa, coffee, or spiced hot rum. Also, the cost of new domes would more than likely be prohibitive for small market franchises. Now that we have dealt with the weather, let us turn to the sport. In this fans (lifetime Cleveland Indian & American League Lover) opinion, its time for the D.H. to go. I find myself enjoyed watching National League games more than my own teams. The pinch-hitters, hit & run, run & hit, the bunt, steals, double steals, squeezes,suicide squeezes, pick-off plays, manufacturing runs rather than simply playing for the big inning with the long ball, (ala slow-pitch softball) is more exciting, cerebreal, and is unique to baseball. I loved Egar too lads, and I love the Tribes Travis Hafner now, but the truth is, if you are not able to field your position, or make your throws, its time to hang em up. Anyone remember Dick Stuart of the late fifties, early sixties, Pittsburg Pirates? He could kill the ball, but his play in the field warrented his nickname (Dr. Strangeglove). So if the "Buccos" needed his stick he started every game.Since expansion there are guys playing in the Majors who in the old days would never have made it beyond AAA, or even AA. ball. The skill level is diluted enough, lets not continue to add to it by putting more one dimensional players in the game. One more thing, let the pitchers be able to defend the plate! No wonder the hitting stats are going up, a hurler cannot "play a little chin music" or brush a hitter back off the plate, or quite realistically, hit some show off on his fat rear whe he stands at the plate for two minutes admiring his blast. I saw an interview a while back with HOF'er Bob Gibson, Gibby said there are always a few hitters in baseball who need to be "knocked down at least once a game, just on general principle" and I agree. I'm not condoning "headhunting" but you know what I mean! What do you folks think? Lets hear from you! I luv Zag and Tribe Baseball!!

Akzag
04-10-2007, 05:51 PM
If Julio Franco can play in the field at his age, so should everybody else.
Ban the DH.

None of the "northern" teams should be allowed to host a series until May. Play the games down south until it is actually comfortable to play up thar.
[This fantasy owner is pissed that several of his players missed several games because of snow].

I believe (though never would "advocate" it ;) ) in old school retaliation. You show me up, I plunk you. You plunk me unnecessarily, I charge. Otherwise, I take my base (without "rubbing it").
It gets tricky when players charge the field from the dugout.

How about a salary cap that doesn't allow for $25 million annual bonuses ?

Sigh ... play ball.

sittingon50
04-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Julio is a freak of nature. Pretty hard for the normal guy to maintain reflexes like that for as long as that.

Problem with scheduling too many games on the road for northern clime teams is they could get in a hole fast! Poor Cubbies would be out of it by Tax Day!!:p

brasszag
04-13-2007, 02:49 PM
The answer is simple - more double-headers in the regular season.

"Let's play two!"

:)

sonuvazag
04-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Poor Cubbies would be out of it by Tax Day!!:p

When has that not been true?

Nice post RenoZag. I will sign a petition if you draw one up. Not for the retaliation thing, just the DH thing. As for retaliation, I cite NOLAN RYAN taking down Robin Ventura on the charge. No need to institute that kind of thing. All it takes is a pair.

Even on video game ML baseball, I find playing as a national league team is a better experience.

zagco
04-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Baseball could fix its problems if it would quit scratching its gonads, rubbing its fat belly, and standing around doing NOTHING for 15 minutes at a time while literally hundreds of people watch, waiting for something to happen.

LongIslandZagFan
04-18-2007, 10:26 AM
When has that not been true?

Nice post RenoZag. I will sign a petition if you draw one up. Not for the retaliation thing, just the DH thing. As for retaliation, I cite NOLAN RYAN taking down Robin Ventura on the charge. No need to institute that kind of thing. All it takes is a pair.

Even on video game ML baseball, I find playing as a national league team is a better experience.

I grew up an AL fan, following the Tigers and then the Mariners. But since I watch mostly NL games (about 80 a year with the Mets) I honestly think that NL baseball is better to watch. There is far more strategy involved with it and the PH is a real role for some players as you institute double switches and the like. Kill the DH and get back to real baseball.