PDA

View Full Version : Big Rob's improvements

OZZY
10-19-2009, 03:50 PM
I started following Gonzaga basketball because of one player... Rob Sacre. I have been following him since he was 14 and playing for BC at the Canadian Midget Nationals (it is great that he now has 3 other fellow Canucks joining him). I know that there are a few people who also follow this board because of him as well. I would believe that the D1 experience for Rob has been an extremely frustrating one at times with the adjustment to the style/pace of game and last years foot injury.

In the past many people have commented on the areas he needed to improve on such as being more agressive and not bringing the ball down when collecting rebounds.

So far this fall the feedback we have got from those who have seen/heard the staff talk about him is that he is much improved. Can anyone shed any light on what have been the big improvements? what are we to expect out of Big Rob this season? :)

CDC84
10-19-2009, 04:05 PM
These blog entries are a good way to start:

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/oct/15/zags-ready-opening-practice/

“Rob has had a tremendous offseason,” Rice said. “He probably worked as hard as anybody in basketball and I think he’s going to reap the benefits of that.”

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/oct/16/gu-gets-started/

Sacre, who missed most of last year with a foot injury, trained with ex-Zag Casey Calvary most of the summer. “I helped Casey lose some weight,” Sacre joked. “We worked out almost every day. We pushed each other. He was a great part of my development this summer.”

WallaWallaZag
10-19-2009, 04:06 PM
don't have any firsthand knowledge to shed any light, but i am also eager to see what we have in rob this year. i would be perfectly content with 8 points and 8 rebounds a game and absolutely thrilled if he could consistently put up a double-double, especially considering what he's been through. at this point, just getting through the season injury free would be nice.

Das Zagger
10-19-2009, 04:13 PM
just getting through the season injury free would be nice.

I hope for this too, he's a big, big guy with a foot injury, I'm sure there's a doctor (I just play one on TV) on here but it seems they have a tough time coming back from them.

BobZag
10-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Better offense.
Tougher.

Ozzy, there will be a lot of details following Saturday night when a lot of fans will see Rob in action.

Stay tuned.

75Zag
10-19-2009, 06:01 PM
If Sacre can play like Bill Walton but without the foot injuries, GU could have an amazing season.

Too early to tell I think, but I am always hopeful.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

MickMick
10-19-2009, 06:05 PM
He was schooled by Casey Calvary!

You can't ask for anything more than that. Casey was as tough as they come. Downright mean.

Gawd help em if Rob picked up Calvary's "attitude".

gozagswoohoo
10-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Hopefully he keep dunking on people while looking like James Bond in the process.

That would be pretty much totally awesome I think.

tyra
10-20-2009, 09:00 PM
"If Sacre can play like Bill Walton but without the foot injuries, GU could have an amazing season."

Well, yes, 75Zag, given that Bill W was one of the greatest collegiate centers of all time and had a few pretty phenomenal NBA seasons. But seems like a tad unfair expectation to lay on the young man. My expectations run thusly: stay healthy, play real tough in the paint by defending well and rebounding and throwing in enough points per game to keep them honest.

Robzagnut
10-21-2009, 08:20 AM
"If Sacre can play like Bill Walton but without the foot injuries, GU could have an amazing season."

Well, yes, 75Zag, given that Bill W was one of the greatest collegiate centers of all time and had a few pretty phenomenal NBA seasons. But seems like a tad unfair expectation to lay on the young man. My expectations run thusly: stay healthy, play real tough in the paint by defending well and rebounding and throwing in enough points per game to keep them honest.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I read that comment.

My thoughts were more like, "Sheesh, no pressure on poor Sacre to ask him to play like one of the Top 5 centers in college history." Walton was the best passing center EVER. If you watch his old highlights you can see when he grabs a defensive rebound how he is already spinning in mid-air toward the offensive end in anticipation of finding the PG to make the outlet pass.

I fully expect Sacre to hit 21 of 22 shots in the finals this year. :)

Once and Future Zag
10-21-2009, 12:17 PM
If he's been working with Casey - I think that pretty much says what he's been working on.

Toughness, rebounding, leadership.

NotoriousZ
10-21-2009, 12:23 PM

Just as long as he promisses not to announce a game like Bill Walton. That would be terrible, just awful.

tyra
10-21-2009, 12:49 PM
OK, so maybe some don't like Walton's announcing "prowess", but let me tell you: I had Trailblazer season tickets when he was in his prime and there is simply no exaggerating that guy's court vision and passing ability. He was simply phenomenal and I mean p-h-e-n-o-m-e-n-a-l!

roxdoc
10-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Say what you will about his announcing, but about a week or so after GU's OT heartbreaker to Arizona in the Dance I happened to catch him being interviewed on a national sports radio show. The talk was all about NBA stuff but somehow he got it around to the GU-UA game and just went on and on - very obviously still excited --- best college game he ever saw, what college bb is all about etc etc etc etc. His son Luke was on the UA team but he gave no indication of it and gave GU just as many props as UA.

NotoriousZ
10-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Say what you will about his announcing, but about a week or so after GU's OT heartbreaker to Arizona in the Dance I happened to catch him being interviewed on a national sports radio show. The talk was all about NBA stuff but somehow he got it around to the GU-UA game and just went on and on - very obviously still excited --- best college game he ever saw, what college bb is all about etc etc etc etc. His son Luke was on the UA team but he gave no indication of it and gave GU just as many props as UA.

Sorry roxdoc and tyra. I didn't mean to hit a nerve, I was going for funny. Mr. Walton was an awesome player, I just could never stand to hear the man talk. On the other hand, if I heard him go on and on about the GU-UA game, I'd be all ears!

MickMick
10-22-2009, 07:12 AM
I remember watching Walton play at UCLA. He was much more fun to watch in college than in the pros. His body was in better shape and the mismatches were clearly evident.

His outlet pass has been given much notoriety, but what sticks out to me was his "tip ins". He wasn't a dunker, but more often than not, he would tip balls back in for the score as opposed to grabbing the offensive rebound, then going back up. He could tip the ball from various, awkward angles and the ball would delicately go in. Nothing forceful about it. More like graceful, surgical, precision with a single hand.

From that standpoint, you cannot compare Rob's game with Walton at all. Casey advocates going up with both hands and slamming it home, although Casey had some good "tip in" ability as well.

Actually this is crazy comparing Rob to Walton. But simply characterizing their play styles. Rob will not be nearly as graceful.

GoZags
10-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Sorry roxdoc and tyra. I didn't mean to hit a nerve, I was going for funny. Mr. Walton was an awesome player, I just could never stand to hear the man talk. On the other hand, if I heard him go on and on about the GU-UA game, I'd be all ears!

Speaking of UCLA centers, and the GU/UA game, does anybody remember the job Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did as Dick Enberg's sidekick for GU/Cincy and GU/UA from Salt Lake City? I think there was a good reason Jabbar only did this one time. He was baaaad.

NotoriousZ
10-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Speaking of UCLA centers, and the GU/UA game, does anybody remember the job Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did as Dick Enberg's sidekick for GU/Cincy and GU/UA from Salt Lake City? I think there was a good reason Jabbar only did this one time. He was baaaad.

Funny, I don't remember that. Was he Magic Johnson baaaad or worse?

Zag79
10-25-2009, 03:32 AM
saw will in person tonight, you can tell he has improved and even looks more confident and faster. but he still lacks the simple task of making an easy layup (at 7'5), and has a hard time grabbing easy rebounds that he should have. i think he will have a nice season, making a difference in a game or two possibly with his blocking ability.

CDC84
10-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Sacre didnt have a field goal, but he did make four free throws. Hes had a lot better fall than hes shown in our last two scrimmages, Few said. We need to get that figured out.

I don't think we saw the real Rob last night. Not that Rob is ever going to be JP Batista or Ronny Turiaf on the offensive end.

tyra
10-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Lots of posts in various threads about players learning their "roles" and I think they make a good point. But some posters are setting up Rob to be held accountable for a role that I doubt Coach has for him, namely being a prolific offensive threat in the vein of JP. I think Rob will get his points (say 8 to 10 PPG) with a strong FT percentage. But I think Coach has something else in mind for him (strong paint presence, defense, and rebounding). As usual, I could be wrong.

BobZag
10-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Fwiw, Few did say Sacre has improved a lot, but it hasn't shown in the last two scrmmages.

Patience, we need.

Nevtelen
10-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Rob has played very few competitive games in the last 2 years. I think any improvements in practice will probably take some time to show up. He's never going to be Batista, but a couple of post moves would work wonders.

MDABE80
10-25-2009, 04:03 PM
The gentle giant routine just isn't what'll make this team excell. ROb smiles too much....a reflection of his temperment. He needs to get a serious tone to him. "Take no prisoners" attitude is what he needs. Lots of talent and size. He should be a do everything guy. We need one of those in the post for a change.

True, he does have 3 years left. He needs to be BETTER than JP. He's an athlete where JP had trouble lifting off. Rob needs to get a gameface on and understand that this team finally had a big man (him) and that he must clean the boards, block shots, get a serious presence in the low blocks.....and put some points up.
Andy and Harris will if Rob doesn't. Last year Josh was kind of a misfit. All that size and athleticism as a 2 or 3 just didn't work out. If Rob Sacre EVER has a ZERO rebound game, he should sit and think. We need a serious big guy down low. Rob must know that it's HIM.

thespywhozaggedme
10-25-2009, 09:01 PM
The gentle giant routine just isn't what'll make this team excell. ROb smiles too much....a reflection of his temperment. He needs to get a serious tone to him. "Take no prisoners" attitude is what he needs. Lots of talent and size. He should be a do everything guy. We need one of those in the post for a change.

True, he does have 3 years left. He needs to be BETTER than JP. He's an athlete where JP had trouble lifting off. Rob needs to get a gameface on and understand that this team finally had a big man (him) and that he must clean the boards, block shots, get a serious presence in the low blocks.....and put some points up.
Andy and Harris will if Rob doesn't. Last year Josh was kind of a misfit. All that size and athleticism as a 2 or 3 just didn't work out. If Rob Sacre EVER has a ZERO rebound game, he should sit and think. We need a serious big guy down low. Rob must know that it's HIM.

Yes, but JP was a naturally gifted scorer, Rob isn't and I don't know if he ever will be. People seem to forget just how crafty and how many advanced post moves JP had. if Ammo wasn't on the team, JP would've been a 22 and 10 every night. Rob is not and will probably never be as good as JP was; heck I don't think any big we've had was as advanced offensively as he was.

ZagsGoZags
10-26-2009, 12:41 AM
I will be happy if Rob just focuses on blocking out, rebounding, and defense. We have enough scorers, and he may never have that gift. He can do plenty of damage with his FT's because he is going to be hacked all season. But his free throw shot seems a little different every time he shoots. Sometimes a little hesitation just before releasing the FT, and sometimes a smoother motion. I think Ravio and Daye had it right, that there is an exact ritual followed for every FT, and is starts early and the motion is always the same.

kdaleb
10-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Yes, but JP was a naturally gifted scorer... I don't think any big we've had was as advanced offensively as he was.

QFT

To say that Batista spoiled us would be a bit of an understatement. His offensive efficiency was scary good.