PDA

View Full Version : Elias Harris the new Shaq?

FuManShoes
10-18-2009, 09:21 PM
41% FT shooter in the Euro championships? Really?

Not the most flattering (or grammatically correct) writeup...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Elias-Harris-1382/

As far as his shooting is concerned, his stroke itself looks decent, but he needs plenty of improvement in this aspect, as his terrible 41% free throw percentage would indicate. He does seem to be aware of his limitations regarding as a 3-point shooter, though, and thus hesitates to attempt perimeter jumpers.

ZagNative
10-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Elias' Stats from FIBA U20: Link (http://www.fibaeurope-u20men.com/en/default.asp?cid={3E00A2C0-841C-4CE2-A80B-9CE58276966C}&playerID=53063&compID={792A6AB7-C6A6-434B-BEA5-9BF1BC619DB4}&season=2009&roundID=6623&teamID=288&)

Ranks #9 in Turnovers (3.2)
Ranks #5 in Field Goals Made (6.0)
Ranks #1 in Field Goal Percentage (60.0%)
Ranks #22 in Field Goals Attempted (10.0)
Ranks #6 in Defensive Rebounds (5.4)
Ranks #12 in Blocked Shots (1.0)
Ranks #15 in Points Per Game (14.0)
Ranks #5 in 2 Pts Field Goals Made (5.4)
Ranks #5 in 2 Pts Field Goal Percentage (58.7%)
Ranks #13 in Total Rebounds (6.4)
Ranks #5 in 2 Pts Field Goals Attempted (9.2)
I wonder if we can just leave this kid at the Ritzville rest stop and hope somebody finds him a good home ...

Ludicrous review. Obviously, the young man conned Bauermann into believing he was good enough to play on the Senior Men's team.

Niggling Nabobs of Negativism.

SLOZag
10-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Niggling Nabobs of Negativism.

I LOVE it! :D

soccerdud
10-18-2009, 10:54 PM
to be fair, that site looks at players in the context of the nba... i think, overall, it is quite flattering that he was written up and that his potential is clearly recognized. yes, at this point, he has more weaknesses than positives in his game when evaluated from the NBA's perspective. this strikes me as perfectly fair and reasonable. or, you know, you can take it as a base insult. that's cool, too.

fuman, your original point about his ft shooting is well taken. hopefully he boosts that a bit at GU-- let's say, double ;). i am NOT sure, however, how the stats cited here compare to his ft shooting historically (as ft shooting, assuming one can handle the pressure, is one of those skills that translates well regardless of the level of competition).

MickMick
10-19-2009, 04:48 AM
soccerdud got it right. The frame of reference here is the NBA. There are several hundred incoming freshman that don't even warrant a write up.

Think about it. Calvary and Batista didn't play in the NBA. Would you like to have either of those guys on this team?

CDC84
10-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Elias is a very talented young player, but there is a reason why he came to Gonzaga instead of taking the easy money and staying in Europe. He knows that he is far from being a perfect player. He wants to develop.
That being said, I sincerely doubt that many U.S. players in the 2009 recruiting class - if they had played in that U20 Euro tournament - would've put up the stats that Elias did. It has to be understood in that context. Also, Elias is likely to play more at the 4 than at the wing while he's at GU. He's not going to be called upon to shoot 22 footers.

kitzbuel
10-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Does this mean will be getting monotone rap in a German accent during post game press conferences?

sonuvazag
10-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Does this mean will be getting monotone rap in a German accent during post game press conferences?
+1

Check out Karl Malone's free throw percentage as a rookie in NBA: 48%. Career 74%. It can be done. Anytime you can double your free throw percentage, you should at least try.

gozagswoohoo
10-19-2009, 10:05 AM
When my wife and I go to a theme park or fun zone type of place, we always play the little Basketball shooter game thingies (with the miniature hoop and balls). She destroys me. Everytime. I played basketball from 3rd grade through my senior year, and was a very good freethrow shooter. Yet...she destroys me at this little hoops game. Does that mean anything? NO. Because I am awesome, and my wife is not.

This has nothing to do with anything. I'm just sayin.