PDA

View Full Version : More Meehan practice talk on Saturday

ZagNative
10-17-2009, 05:56 PM
More juicy tidbits from Jim Meehan (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/oct/17/more-zags-opening-day/) today.

Here's a snippet that caught my eye:

I have to admit it was strange seeing the Zags without Pargo, Downs, Sorenson, Heytvelt, even Daye, who was only on campus two years, and having to double-check to make sure the newcomers are who I thought they were.

“We’ve had summer and obviously fall practices, but no question (it’s different),” coach Mark Few said. “Jeremy’s energy at practice, the level of raw talent last year was impressive when we walked out on the floor. Last year, we probably had 10 NBA (scouts) at our first practice. That’s always a fair barometer of what to expect.”

There was one NBA scout at Friday’s workout, by the way. That doesn’t mean the Zags are lacking physical talent. They have a bundle of it, it’s just that much of it is in the form of true freshmen, unproven redshirt freshmen and another newcomer, sophomore Bol Kong.

“We’re trying to start really simple,” Few said. “We’re really trying to enforce the fundamentals, the things we believe in. (With the NCAA rules), you can have mini practices, an hour twice a week. Since we’ve done some of those, we’re starting to develop an understanding of how fast we can go, or how fast we can’t go is probably the better statement.”

“And you have to add in, with Elias (Harris) and Bol, they didn’t get here until a couple weeks into school. So they weren’t around for summer school, so it’s really an adjustment. Losing Austin, losing all those guys hurt, but when we lost Austin, not only was he a great player and he was going to have a great year, it kind of swung it like Senate seats. The players in the majority have no idea what’s going on around here.”

I love that comparison in the last sentence! And I had no idea there were any NBA scouts at last year's first practice, much less ten.

Lots of other good stuff here in Jim's blog (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/oct/17/more-zags-opening-day/). What caught your eye?

ZagNative
10-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Jim had another column earlier today (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/oct/16/gu-gets-started/) that I just discovered.
Much of what's written was covered in the thread about the videos on KREM 2's website, but this was interesting:
“We’ve never had this situation where our newcomers or inexperienced guys far outnumber our experienced guys,” said Few, just before the team’s first practice Friday at the McCarthey Athletic Center. “That’s why we have to move real slowly this preseason. I like the new guys, I really like them. I think they have a chance to be really good, whether that’s in 2012 or later in 2010 I don’t know. But they all bring something to the table that can help us.”

“Matt’s been around the most, he was our best player last year, so this needs to be his team,” Few said. “His stamp will be different than Pargo’s, which was different than Derek’s (Raivio), which was different than Adam’s (Morrison) or Blake’s (Stepp). It needs to be assertive and every night because if it isn’t and he or Steven have a bad night, we’re going to struggle.”Hey, coach: We were kind of hoping they'd show how good they were by November 17 ... not so much lby ater in 2010 ...

MickMick
10-17-2009, 06:43 PM
We can expect them to learn a lot at Michigan State. After that whipping, they will truly understand the level of play it is going to take to be a post season team.

I'm hoping the Spartys will be shocked at the improvement the following year.

madness
10-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Sam Dower now listed at 6'11???

Ahem, nice!

Rangerzag
10-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Lots of other good stuff here in Jim's blog (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/oct/17/more-zags-opening-day/). What caught your eye?

Matt clearing up a detail ;^)

Bouldin said he’s comfortable taking on the role of team leader, but he’s not ready to fill Ira Brown’s shoes as team grandpa. “I guess I’m the old guy – in terms of experience, not age,” he said. “I think Bol might be older than me, maybe Will. P-Maag is older than me. Actually we’re all around the same age — 20, 21.”

Baldwinzag
10-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Sam Dower now listed at 6'11???

Ahem, nice!

Hmmm...seems a bit suspect to me. Gotta wonder if there was a misprint when listing him on the roster. In the few times I've been around Sam, he didn't appear even close to that height. He's definitely tall, yet seems closer to 6'8"ish than 6'11", unless he miraculously grew 2 or 3 more inches in the past two months! :eek: If accurate, how cool would that be? :D

We should know Dower's actual height by the time Midnight Madness rolls around when he'll be matched up against the other 6'11" guys on the team-- Poling & Sacre.

NotoriousZ
10-18-2009, 07:00 AM
I was hoping to hear something on Manny (if he was going at full speed). Let's assume no news is good news. Everything else sounded great--we've got the right mindset to do something special this year!

Reborn
10-18-2009, 07:29 AM
I was hoping to hear something on Manny (if he was going at full speed). Let's assume no news is good news. Everything else sounded great--we've got the right mindset to do something special this year!

I too noted the absence of anything on Arop. It surprised me. I think he was the only foreigner not mentioned. mmm And I had him as the best of the incoming class. Oooops. More will be revealed, that's for sure. Everything written this summer was not much more than mere speculation. Yet it is fun to speculate isn't it. :D It sure helps to add a little spice during the off months. It won't be long now and we'll all have a much clearer picure. I do see that Few is being extremely cautious. It sounded to me like the Zags may be off to a pretty slow start. Much slower than I have guessed. WE may not win a game in Maui. But then again we may win one, two or three. I still think we will win it. I'm still optimistic.

BobZag
10-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Sam is 6'9"ish.
I'd bet Arop's foot is not 100%.

----------------------------------

I like going slow with this new group and keeping things simple. I've always been a proponant of keeping things simple. I've felt at times in the past the team noticeably bogged down in complication, and those were veteran teams.

Simplicity should serve the Zags well.

OZZY
10-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Its great to finally hear coach Few's observations now that practices have started. I'm concerned like many others, that Manny is not is great shape at this stage, but I think after a couple of months he will hopefully benefit from the staff's care and attention. Love hearing that KO is impressing all who see him. I still think that he will Redshirt because of his build, but the one thing that could change that is if he picks up the system quicker than some of the others......

MDABE80
10-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Sam's 6 ft 9 in unless he's sprouted since late July/Early August. Manny needs rest. We'll be fine without him but he should get what he needs. Knee, foot, whatver/....even in Abe's prime, he'd be wore out too. Although Abe did work round the clock for 3 days straight once and still played in the Fastpitch championships:)

Zerogame
10-18-2009, 08:28 PM
“We’re trying to start really simple,” Few said. “We’re really trying to enforce the fundamentals, the things we believe in. (With the NCAA rules), you can have mini practices, an hour twice a week. Since we’ve done some of those, we’re starting to develop an understanding of how fast we can go, or how fast we can’t go is probably the better statement.

Sounds like Coach Few has been hanging around Lou Holtz a little too much!

ZagsGoZags
10-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Baldwin:

Don't forget KO is 6'11" or 7.0, and that Sacre has been listed as 7.0 since he came to GU
so comparing Sam to them will give us a good look at Sam's real height
And isn't Elias 6'7" or 6'8"?