PDA

View Full Version : Who's the Biggest Little Name in Sports?

McZag
10-17-2009, 04:54 PM
I had an interesting conversation with a Boise State grad in Jack and Dan's on Wed. night.

He feels that Boise State's football success since becoming D-1A is more impressive than GU's basketball success since 1999. His claim is that 1 elite 8 out of 5 sweet sixteen's is not as impressive as BSU's Fiesta Bowl upset and current top ten ranking.

Are football and basketball success comparable? Do more sports fans nation-wide respect BSU's success or GU's??

NEZAGFAN
10-17-2009, 05:11 PM
I find it very hard to rank one program ahead of the other when it comes to success on the national level. I have been an avid Boise State football fan since 2002 and an even bigger fan of Gonzaga since 2003. I would argue that football may be a tougher sport to maintain consistency in year in and year out but I still find it hard to rank one team ahead of the other. I think both programs will continue to enjoy the national success they have experienced over the past decade and am proud to say I am a fan of both programs.

MickMick
10-17-2009, 06:02 PM
I like Boise State. Their quarterback, Kellen Moore, is a local product. I believe his quarteback rating is above 170.

Why argue apples and oranges? How can one be better when they can't even settle it on the field/court? I would call their relative success similar.

With respect to a Fiesta bowl win. It is one single game. How many single game examples can the Zags pull out of their hat? For instance...what about defeating UNC in the pre season NIT? A UNC team that had players such as Hansbrough, Green, and Lawson. A core of players that won the national title two years later.

Does Boise State have the status to bring Alabama, Texas, or Florida into the state of Idaho? Last season, the #2 ranked UConn Huskies flew 3000 miles to Seattle. The Memphis team that played for the national title traveled to Spokane. The team that played in the national title game last season, Michigan State, will be traveling to the Gonzaga campus.

Does beating #2 seed Stanford in post season count for anything?

I would call beating a #2 seed the equivalent of winning a BCS bowl.
The math to support it:

(4 BCS bowls) X (2 teams per bowl) = 8 football teams playing in BCS bowls
(4 regions) X (top 2 seeds per region) = 8 total teams seeded #1 or #2

How many weeks has Boise State been ranked in the top 5? How many times have they beaten a team ranked in the top 5? The answer is.....not as many times as Gonzaga.

sittingon50
10-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Ed Ott.

stevet75
10-18-2009, 07:28 AM
It seems to me that it would be harder to maintain excellence when you are competing with over 300 other teams, than it would if you are competing with 120 teams.

Gonzdb8
10-18-2009, 08:02 AM
i'm in pocatello, idaho this weekend on university business and engaged some boise state fans in the same argument. they seemed to have trouble answering the following:

1 - weak, weak schedules for boise state over the years. i get they have trouble getting anyone to come play them in boise, but for whatever reason they simply don't play the high caliber teams on a regular basis like the zags do. how many ranked wins do they have during their "run". the zags might play in a relatively weak conference, but we play the best year in and year out with some remarkable successes since 99.

2 - despite that fiesta bowl having one of the most amazing ending to any college football game of recent memory, the basically defeated one of the weaker OU teams of this decade. any number of lesser teams could have beaten OU that year. there, i said it.

i agree with what others said that this is comparing apples and oranges, but if boise state fans want to start that comparison i don't think they're going to like the objective results.

zagco
10-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Zagco is a fan and graduate of both schools. Gonzaga's rise into the upper echelon of the college basketball world came a bit before Boise State's rise in college football's D-1 upper echelon. He thinks the two sports present different dynamics, making comparisons very hard. He believes Gonzaga's achievements, if you can subjectively compare basketball and football achievements, remain more impressive to date. Boise State's schedules have not been as good as they should or could have been, but that will be changing next year, when Oregon State (in Boise) and Virigina Tech (in D.C.) are back-to-back opponents. During Boise State's run, its biggest wins other than the Fiesta Bowl would include 2 wins against Oregon State and 2 wins against Oregon, along with some close and respectable losses to good teams like Louisville and Arkansas. Probably the first really big win was its win against #8 Fresno State and David Carr down in Fresno. Boise State and Gonzaga get a ton of press nationally in their sports.

Gonzaga has done a great job playing a super tough nonconference schedule to offset perceptions about the WCC. Boise State's refusal to play road games without a return game has prevented it from scheduling the 2 or 3 tough nonconference road games it needs to blunt that kind of criticism. Boise State's facilities are nice, but relatively small, similar to K2. Last week, a major donation was announced that will result in a new track and field and high school football complex being built at the old East Junior High site in downtown Boise, allowing the school to remove the track from the stadium and close the southern end and build new locker rooms, offices, etc. This will get the stadium to somewhere north of 40,000.

Zagco has greatly enjoyed watching the rise of both his alma maters, and while he thinks comparisons between football and basketball seasons are very difficult, he tends to give Gonzaga the edge.

BobZag
10-18-2009, 08:40 AM
If you live in Boise, the answer is BSU.
If you live in Spokane, the answer is GU.

:)

GoZags
10-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Friday night during ESPNU's Midnight Madness extravaganza, they continually referred to the Nov. 17 Gonzaga/Michigan State game as THE matchup of the day (out of the 17 or so games they're televising that day). They also had this as a "graphic". Other games that day include Memphis at Kansas, Temple at Georgetown and many others.

I can't imagine Boise State vs anyone getting those kind of props.

That being said, BSU football is a great story -- but the bottom line -- think of how good GU's record would be if all we did was play WCC caliber opponents all year prior to the post season.

gamagin
10-18-2009, 08:59 AM
It also covers the other dozen or so nonsensical efforts on the GUB at comparing one disparate situation, team, player or era with some other -- as if there were ever a logical answer. There isn't.

I think the various snipe hunts have been useful, however, in filling in the void (chasm) between the summer and the beginning of this season.

So my answer on this, the second effort at comparing apples to oranges, is "hey, got any grapes ?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

hondo
10-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Oh.

bartruff1
10-18-2009, 10:06 AM
I had an interesting conversation with a Boise State grad in Jack and Dan's on Wed. night.

He feels that Boise State's football success since becoming D-1A is more impressive than GU's basketball success since 1999. His claim is that 1 elite 8 out of 5 sweet sixteen's is not as impressive as BSU's Fiesta Bowl upset and current top ten ranking.

Are football and basketball success comparable? Do more sports fans nation-wide respect BSU's success or GU's??...about Boise State success being more impressive lately...but since 1999...not so much...ps...who cares, I enjoy them both.....:)