PDA

View Full Version : Videos from Zags first practice tonight

Radbooks
10-16-2009, 10:02 PM
KREM has several videos (http://www.krem.com/video/featured-index.html?nvid=407810&shu=1) up with interviews with Coach Few and several of the players.

MickMick
10-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Sacre:

"We are scrappy. We are like the 99 team. We are going to come out guns a blazing. I'm not worried about it."

Apparently, Casey Calvary spent a great deal of time with him. I couldn't think of a better player to emulate.

ZagNative
10-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Great stuff from Matty B video (http://www.krem.com/video/featured-index.html?nvid=407808):

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Matt%20Bouldin/2009-10-17MattBouldinfirstdayofprac.jpg

KREM: Did you read about Austin getting ejected?

MATT: I Know. that's funny isn't it? I actually talked to him about it. He was like, "I didn't even do anything."

MATT, laughing: "Of course he didn't. I mean we all know Austin. But I mean that's cool. I would only hope to someday get thrown from an NBA Game. You know what I mean? I'm just happy for him that he's in that position."In case it's not obvious from that quote, the "Of course he didn't" was meant with a wink. It was cute, an inside joke with the rest of Zagdom.

Nevtelen
10-16-2009, 11:48 PM
That was really funny - I must say I'm going to miss Pargo's great interviews, but Matt sounds really genuine on camera.

MDABE80
10-17-2009, 12:06 AM
I went over. Fun group. Met Alex ...he's a player favorite . Nice guy..he'll do well in coaching. Jeeeeeeez they look at you like you're in there to steal something:( VERY hush hush...and visitors aren't welcome. This is a HUGE group of guys.

ZagNative
10-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Rob's got a fun video up too. (http://www.krem.com/video/featured-index.html?nvid=407806)

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Sacre/2009-10-17RibSacreFurstPracticefirs.jpg

He had just finished thhis exchange:
KREM: How's everything feeling right now?

ROB: You know, first class! Couldn't be better. That's the only class I ride. I don't know any other class there is. I don't do coach, I'm sorry.

Some other comments:
ROB: It's weird, being an older guy! Who knew two years would go by so fast?
KREM: Rob, what did you do in the off-season and what did you do specifically to stay healthy?

ROB: I helped Casey lose some weight, so that means me and him came in, and we worked out almost every day. We pushed each other and he was a great part of my development this summer. I really am grateful to Casey for this summer.

ROB: We're like the '99 team. ... We'll come guns a'blazin'. Call us Yosemite Sam, I guess. So it's all good. I'm not even worried about it.

Rob reminds me of the prototype for the Gonzaga player Jay Bilas described on a Decade of Excellence , quoted in GoZags signature:

"They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed."

Oh, speaking of Casey, did you catch these lines in the Decade of Excellence, where he was needling the big-shot Gonzaga Guards?
I mean it's ridiculous. There's like two good guards that ever played here and you look through the post guys and you got Turiaf, Gourde, Violette, JP Batista, Jeff Brown, Bakari Hendrix. I mean the list goes on and on ... and there's like two famous guards and people talk about "Guard University." It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I'll bet he and Rob have some fun lobbing insults at the past and present guards when they get together. Go Casey! Go Rob! As if anybody could stop you! :lmao:

FuManShoes
10-17-2009, 01:03 AM
That was fun. Thanks!

ZagNative
10-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Here's Meech. (http://www.krem.com/video/featured-index.html?nvid=407805)

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Meech/2009-10-17MeechGoodsonFirstDayofPra.jpg

I'm ready to go. I'm ready just to bounce around and hit some people. So it should be a fun day.Meech wasn't as loquacious as I've seen him other times, because I think he was just itching to get out there and "hit some people."

Reborn
10-17-2009, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the link, Radbooks. Very nice to wake up this morning and listen to Mark Few, Matt, Rob and Meech talk about his year. I think Mark Few has his work cut out for him this year, but he seems rested, thank God. I sensed some concern about the youth of his team, but his energy perked up when he talked about Elias and Sacre especially. He seemed really excited when he talked about Harris. Im excited too.

I liked the interviews with the players more. They seem so much more grown up. I was impressed. Man, Rob seemsed like a man. He does't seem like the Freshman at all. He looks so different too. I think we are going to be surprised and I love surprises. His attitude is so fresh, and inspiring really. A shout out to Casey Calvary for all the time he spent with Rob. Rob I'm sure, really really benefited from that, and he said so.

I thought Matt seemsed extrememly confident too. He seemed so ready to get it all going this year. Being a senior is a great feeling. I liked his interview as well. He appears ready for his new role. I'm looking forward to see how he does. I was surprised to NOT see an interview with Steven. That's odd.

IslandZag
10-17-2009, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the links! It is good to see and hear from some of the guys.

This offseason has been full of so much drama and intrigue (Daye, Kong, Harris...). The specualtion and hypothetical discussions have been fun but I am more than ready to put all of that aside. From everything I have read and watched, I think we are in for a treat with some of these new faces. This is going to be an exciting year.

I can't wait to see this group in action for the first time.

Go Zags!

RenoZag
10-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks for those capsule recaps.

BobZag
10-17-2009, 08:56 AM
At first, Casey was beating up on Rob. But by the end of summer, Rob was giving Casey a beating. Casey thinks Rob is one tough motha.

Casey has a history of toughening up young Zags. Cory was the other "victim".

ZagDaddy
10-17-2009, 09:24 AM
At first, Casey was beating up on Rob. But by the end of summer, Rob was giving Casey a beating. Casey thinks Rob is one tough motha..

I can't think of a better endorsement on toughness than Casey. I hope that's true because that is something the team has needed--a big tough guy in the middle. Stay healthy big fella!

Zag365
10-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Sacre:

"We are scrappy. We are like the 99 team. We are going to come out guns a blazing. I'm not worried about it."

Matt essentially said the same thing a few weeks back with his no-prima-donnas comment. I love it. Don't know whether Matt and Rob came up with this mentality for this team or whether the coaches implanted it, but it bodes well and works on so many levels. Of course, it fits the Jay Bilas/national image of the luvable, no-name, take no prisoners, humble, blue-collar, small college giant killers. But, more importantly, the make-up of this team -- athletic, but unknown and untested -- makes emulating '99 a worthy goal. Also, I think Matt, Steven, and Meech play best when they don't overthink the game and when they approach the game with aggression and instinct. This Board has commented that Matt's worst performances came when a passive/laid back mindset occurred. I remember stories a couple years ago
about how Coach Few was telling Matt that he needed to take ownership of the outcome and not just wait for others to do their thing. The comments from Matt and Rob indicate that the coaching has paid off.

BobZag
10-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Meech has a football mentality. Me likes that. :)