PDA

View Full Version : Different Strokes, Different Folks - Midnight Madness at Kentucky v. Gonzaga

ZagNative
10-16-2009, 06:18 PM
A Report on CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/12373657) on Calipari's intro at Midnight madness ...

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- On a stage befitting a rock star, John Calipari got his first taste of a packed house at Rupp Arena on Friday night and promised to return Kentucky basketball to "its rightful place at the top of the mountain."

The new Kentucky coach made his entrance around 8:40 p.m. to chants of "Go Big Blue" during the program's preseason pep rally, Big Blue Madness. Then he spent the next 15 minutes delivering a rousing speech to a crowd that needed little convincing.

Smoke and pyrotechnics filled the air as Calipari -- decked in a gray shirt, not blue -- strolled across a huge stage erected at one end of the arena, flanked by three enormous video boards and surrounded by screaming fans.

Before his arrival, the players were introduced one by one -- standing on a catwalk above the center video screen as their names were called.

A stirring video montage showed film clips -- many of them black and white -- of the great moments in the history of Kentucky basketball, which has won seven national titles and has more victories than any other program. Among the words on the screen during the montage: "Envy our past. Fear our future."

After the players lined up to show off their best dunks, they split up into teams for the customary scrimmage, which all-Southeastern Conference center Patrick Patterson started with three baskets -- including two dunks. Anybody got a line on an Elephant we can load Fewie onto for his arrival in the MAC for Family Weekend? Smoke and Pyrotechnics maybe? Thoughts for how to doll up this family weekend, especially to give Fewie a litle rock star treatment? No? Ain't Fewie's way?

BroncoZAG615
10-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Sounds awesome. These midnight madness events have become major recruiting tools. I know both Kansas and Kentucky had a "who's who" list of recruits on campus for their events tonight. It's a great spectacle for the students, fans, and for the players. They're going to bust their ass for the next 2 1/2 weeks and up through the season so it's cool to give them a little star treatment early on.

It's one of those things where if you are going to make it into an event, you might as well just go all out. Many coaches don't prefer the first day of practice being a huge event but in places like Lexington and even Spokane to some degree, coaches feel like it is a great reward for a dedicated fanbase. I look forward to hearing what the team pulls out for Kraziness.

BobZag
10-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Few, in leather, riding a red, white and blue Harley. Anybody know Peter Fonda? We could borrow his chopper.

:)

DADoZAG
10-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Few, in leather, riding a red, white and blue Harley. Anybody know Peter Fonda? We could borrow his chopper.

:)

The Chopper, no problem. The leather, again, piece of cake. Getting Few to do it? Ain't gonna happen.

I started a poorly conceived thread about Few's decision to stay under the radar this year. While my thread was quickly forgotten, the fact that Few may regret last year's spectacle, the medias constant chatter/high ratings and the EXPECTATIONS that followed seems somewhat obvious.

We may never see a true mid-night madness again, and while I still get goose bumps over the video that debuted that night, I’ll trade it for this year being the start of the “Decade of Dominance.” You’d better copy write the phrase, BZ.

Go ZAGS!

Once and Future Zag
10-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Maybe we could borrow back Sparky the Polar Bear since he was around the GU campus at the beginning of the run?

Roll him out on court with Mark Few astride his shoulder?