PDA

View Full Version : 1,000th post = a little pontification

GoZags
10-16-2009, 05:36 AM
http://myweb.cwpost.liu.edu/bbyrne/gzpics/ken.jpg

1,000 posts – a time to reflect.

Today is the first day of “official” practice for NCAA D1 Men’s hoops – and the Zags will take the floor at K2.

I’ve known every GU hoops score (and have known GU’s record) since Fall ’73, when I arrived on campus as a Freshman. Sometimes it wasn’t easy (living in Chicago – needing to get the Chicago Tribune or Sun Times 5 Star Final to see the west coast scores in mouse type – or befriending the United States Marines guard detail at our Embassy in Beijing in the 3 years (late 70’s/early 80’s) when I split my time between China and the U.S. Never in my wildest dreams did I envision Gonzaga Basketball evolving into what it is today (and what it will be tomorrow).

In his only post on a Gonzaga message board (entitled “The Fellas” after the heartbreaking 96-95 double overtime loss to #1 seed Arizona in the ’03 dance) Dan Dickau closed with the words: “Gonzaga is a special place, with special people”. Ronny Turiaf chose to use those exact same words as he exited Gonzaga after 4 wonderful, memorable years.

This past Monday at the Seattle kick-off luncheon, Ray Giacoletti was asked why the assistants have stayed at Gonzaga – Tommy, Leon, himself. He said that Gonzaga truly is a family – and then said that every school “talks” family and pays lip service to “family” – but the reality is, from his perspective in (25+ years with 9 different programs) only Duke and Gonzaga are true “families” – he said UNC comes close. And it’s true – Gonzaga is family. Anyone who saw the spaghetti dinners at the Few’s house (with the high doorways) on ESPN’s “The Season” could feel it – anyone who followed Ronny Turiaf’s heart surgery and recovery could feel it. Everyone who is a part of GU Basketball knows it, and feels it.

Ray also touched on the importance of Fr. Spitzer in Gonzaga’s rise to prominence – Father had a vision about Gonzaga, and he certainly left our school in great shape. I believe Father Tony also played an integral role – particularly in the family aspect of Gonzaga. I miss him.

This past summer I had a chance to reflect after getting seriously ill and missing nearly two months of work. BTW – MDABE80 is a pretty good friend to have. So is Marcy Few, who found time to send me a couple of notes of encouragement while I was down (there’s that “family” thing again).

Following Gonzaga Basketball is fun and so is hanging out in Bob’s virtual living room and interacting with this community. I truly appreciate the interactions and the banter with friend and foe – here and in my travels to other Boards.

I’m really looking forward to this season, and I have high hopes for this group of guys. I am confident that this group of guys will continue to represent our Community – and our family -- on and off the court.

As Father Tony said thousands and thousands of times – “To be continued…..”

MickMick
10-16-2009, 05:52 AM
Nice post GoZags.

HRZag
10-16-2009, 05:55 AM
GoZags, thanks for the post, your 1,000th! A classic once again.

Thanks to you and the other mods, this board is certainly part of the Gonzaga basketball experience. A good part of the family.

We are all glad you are getting back up to speed, just in time for the new season.

If GU is a family, does that make me the crazy uncle Eddie?

Go Zags!

ZagMan in Philly
10-16-2009, 06:32 AM
GoZags,
This is one of the best posts on here period, for me.
Thanks! I look forward to your 2000th post.

:)

Zagdawg
10-16-2009, 06:37 AM
Great post ......

Stay healthy -- your contribution to the board is appreciated.

sittingon50
10-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Very nice, GoZags.

a13coach
10-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Great post GoZags. Thanks for making so many of us feel part of the Board family.

former1dog
10-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Great post ......

Stay healthy -- your contribution to the board is appreciated.

+1

Angelo Roncalli
10-16-2009, 07:40 AM
In the spirit of GZ's post...Coach Giacoletti expanded on the community aspect at Gonzaga when he spoke on Monday.

He mentioned that there was a fusion of Fr. Spitzer's vision for GU and Mark Few's vision for GU basketball that has created the unique situation at GU.

He also talked about the family atmosphere of the coaching staff and team. He said that every school's coaching staff will tell you that their program is a family. For the most part it's "BS" he observed. He said the only other situation he's seen like Gonzaga is Duke's. He mentioned a couple of major schools who represent themselves as "family," but said that under the surface they're pretty dysfunctional. Coach G said he's been part of 9 different college coaching staffs, and of them, GU is unique in its approach, its individuals and its continuity.

JohnOGU
10-16-2009, 10:08 AM
http://myweb.cwpost.liu.edu/bbyrne/gzpics/ken.jpg

1,000 posts – a time to reflect.

Today is the first day of “official” practice for NCAA D1 Men’s hoops – and the Zags will take the floor at K2.

I’ve known every GU hoops score (and have known GU’s record) since Fall ’73, when I arrived on campus as a Freshman. Sometimes it wasn’t easy (living in Chicago – needing to get the Chicago Tribune or Sun Times 5 Star Final to see the west coast scores in mouse type – or befriending the United States Marines guard detail at our Embassy in Beijing in the 3 years (late 70’s/early 80’s) when I split my time between China and the U.S. Never in my wildest dreams did I envision Gonzaga Basketball evolving into what it is today (and what it will be tomorrow).

In his only post on a Gonzaga message board (entitled “The Fellas” after the heartbreaking 96-95 double overtime loss to #1 seed Arizona in the ’03 dance) Dan Dickau closed with the words: “Gonzaga is a special place, with special people”. Ronny Turiaf chose to use those exact same words as he exited Gonzaga after 4 wonderful, memorable years.

This past Monday at the Seattle kick-off luncheon, Ray Giacoletti was asked why the assistants have stayed at Gonzaga – Tommy, Leon, himself. He said that Gonzaga truly is a family – and then said that every school “talks” family and pays lip service to “family” – but the reality is, from his perspective in (25+ years with 9 different programs) only Duke and Gonzaga are true “families” – he said UNC comes close. And it’s true – Gonzaga is family. Anyone who saw the spaghetti dinners at the Few’s house (with the high doorways) on ESPN’s “The Season” could feel it – anyone who followed Ronny Turiaf’s heart surgery and recovery could feel it. Everyone who is a part of GU Basketball knows it, and feels it.

Ray also touched on the importance of Fr. Spitzer in Gonzaga’s rise to prominence – Father had a vision about Gonzaga, and he certainly left our school in great shape. I believe Father Tony also played an integral role – particularly in the family aspect of Gonzaga. I miss him.

This past summer I had a chance to reflect after getting seriously ill and missing nearly two months of work. BTW – MDABE80 is a pretty good friend to have. So is Marcy Few, who found time to send me a couple of notes of encouragement while I was down (there’s that “family” thing again).

Following Gonzaga Basketball is fun and so is hanging out in Bob’s virtual living room and interacting with this community. I truly appreciate the interactions and the banter with friend and foe – here and in my travels to other Boards.

I’m really looking forward to this season, and I have high hopes for this group of guys. I am confident that this group of guys will continue to represent our Community – and our family -- on and off the court.

As Father Tony said thousands and thousands of times – “To be continued…..”

Great post... Is anyone able to locate this one and only messageboard post by Dan Dickau? I'd love to read it.

GoZags
10-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Great post... Is anyone able to locate this one and only messageboard post by Dan Dickau? I'd love to read it.

DanDickau
(3/23/03 10:12:51 am)
The Fellas
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Every once in awhile I would get on this website throughout the season to find out how things were going for the fellas. I obviously would talk to the guys and the coaches at times and they had their ups and downs because of the schedule and how every team absolutely gears up to play their best game against us especially in league. Zach and Winston showed tremendous heart and courage as seniors, too bad it had too end this way. These guys have shown tremendous heart and an appreciation for being a part of such an awesome program. Zach having been part of all five NCAA tournaments is and has been an integral part of the program. As seniors they have nothing to be ashamed, they are great friends of mine and am proud to have been their teammates. As for the other guys they all stepped up and made big plays when needed.

We played the Pacers tonight, but I was able to watch a few minutes before our game started, then had a friend here tape the second half and overtimes for me. I had heard updates throughout the game and found out we had lost by one in double ot, but I still went straight home and watched the tape. Funny thing is I caught myself yelling whenever one of the guys made a big play even when I knew the outcome of the game. The way they played was awesome and it made me appreciate and cherish my time at Gonzaga even more. You could say I was even jealous, not only of the guys because they were in such a great game, but of the amazing fans because I wanted to be there cheering my best friends on too.

This has been a post that has been all over the place, and I will probably never post again, because I am not big on computers.

Last night made me proud to be a ZAG!! I was so happy and proud of the way guys played, and am excited already to hear Coach Few prepare for next year. These guys were part of the best college game I ever saw.

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!"

Dan Dickau #21

229SintoZag
10-16-2009, 11:14 AM
What, who and where re: the attached photo?

JohnOGU
10-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Very cool. Thank you GoZags. Wow, I am damn proud to be a Zag...

a13coach
10-16-2009, 11:22 AM

That would be the great GoZags himself during his days at GU, at a Bulldogs game at Kennedy Pavilion. :)

gozagswoohoo
10-16-2009, 11:32 AM
WOW!! Excellent! This has to be the best thread of the off-season! Great post GoZags and excellent find on the Dickau post.

GoZags
10-16-2009, 11:32 AM

Top photo -- GoZags and friends in the Snake Pit (precursor to the Kennel Club) -- Kennedy Pavillion circa '74/'75

Bottom photo -- Outdoor rink in Beijing off Chang'an Avenue -- possibly Dec. '79 or sometime in the winter of '80. -- rink was kitty corner from Tiananmen Square (and across the street from the Forbidden City). I'd periodically don my skates and play hockey with the locals. In my 1,000th post I'd referenced the difficulties getting Zag scores in the pre-internet days. The rink wasn't too far from our Embassy -- where I'd get updates on important things (like Zag basketball scores and, to be honest -- Husky football scores). BTW, as the only person in my family in 3 generations who has a college degree that is NOT from Washington, I knew how to say "Go Huskies" before I learned how to say "Go Zags"

MDABE80
10-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Awwwww ((((((((GZ)))))))) my friend. Welcome to the 1000 post club. Very warm, thoughtful posts from you today. Thanks for the "props". Well done.

BobZag
10-16-2009, 02:32 PM
It's those sideburns that give GZ away, that handsome fella. And, yup, that MDABE guy is pretty special, too.

ZagNative
10-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Great post, GoZags! Thanks!

dawgfather11
10-16-2009, 03:52 PM
great post Gozags! Father Tony is still very missed in my family as he was a close personal family friend of ours.

ZagsGoZags
10-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks GoZags,
makes me want to go back to 1964 and enroll in GU instead of Whitworth, although Whitworth is special too. It also makes me want to get eat spaghetti at Coach Few's house, wherever it is.

RenoZag
10-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Another capture of GoZags from his days on campus, Spring 1976, the card sharp in the back row. . .

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2459/4017943611_bb071abec2.jpg

Larryzag
10-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Gozags, thanks for the great post. I'm looking forward to trying to see around your head at the games this year. Did you get a little shorter this past off season? Thanks for helping me out when I needed you a few years ago. Let me know if I can help you now. See you at a game soon.

gamagin
10-17-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks.

Before you were Id'd in the photo, I thought that was Danny Ainge standing there.

best regards and continued good health.

cjm720
10-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Posts like these make me feel proud to be a Zag.

Go Zags!!!