PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga mentioned in an ESPN Poll

JohnOGU
10-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Which "mid-major" program is better?

Gonzaga in Basketball or Boise State in Football?

Boise State leads 57% to 43%.

Thoughts?

BroncoZAG615
10-15-2009, 03:09 PM
We live in a football nation in the midst of football season. Can't be too surprised.

NotoriousZ
10-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Thoughts? After recovering from the "mid-major" slight, no thoughts come to mind.

JohnOGU
10-15-2009, 03:11 PM
We live in a football nation in the midst of football season. Can't be too surprised.

My thoughts exactly.

gamagin
10-15-2009, 03:16 PM
have the Zags play Boise St. in a basketball game.

GUDan07
10-15-2009, 03:35 PM
have the Zags play Boise St. in a basketball game.

I think they would fair much better playing us in basketball then we would playing them in football.

cbbfanatic
10-15-2009, 04:15 PM
that fiesta bowl win over oklahoma is pretty big. one of the most memorable games/accomplishments of the last 10 yrs in college sports.

frankly, given the seasonality of the poll and the aforementioned point, i am surprised the spread is as close as it is.

zagamatic
10-15-2009, 04:38 PM
The advantage we have is that at the end of the season, we get the opportunity to play more than one game to see if we are good enough to be called national champions.:starwars:
It's just plain stupid that college football doesn't have a tourney. But that's the power of money for ya.

NotoriousZ
10-15-2009, 05:12 PM
The advantage we have is that at the end of the season, we get the opportunity to play more than one game to see if we are good enough to be called national champions.:starwars:
It's just plain stupid that college football doesn't have a tourney. But that's the power of money for ya.

When will the NCAA give up on the bowl game, bcs b.s.? They could have a 5 week tourney with the top 32 teams, or a six week tournament with the top 64. They could keep the "bowl games," assigning them respectively within the tourney, and rotating the championship game between the major bowls from year to year. This would be more entertaining, and everyone wins. Higher ratings, more money for everybody. It's just a matter of time...but it should have been done at least 15 years ago.

Just_An_Old_Zag
10-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Thank goodness we don't play on smurf turf....

which begs the question if you choke a smurf what color does he turn?

sides can BSU claim to be undefeated in football since 1941?

zagking
10-15-2009, 07:14 PM
I'd vote for bsu as well, but belive me I'm torn. The fiesta bowl win is fresher in minds than gonzagas run in 1999.

MickMick
10-15-2009, 07:14 PM
When will the NCAA give up on the bowl game, bcs b.s.? They could have a 5 week tourney with the top 32 teams, or a six week tournament with the top 64. They could keep the "bowl games," assigning them respectively within the tourney, and rotating the championship game between the major bowls from year to year. This would be more entertaining, and everyone wins. Higher ratings, more money for everybody. It's just a matter of time...but it should have been done at least 15 years ago.

More money would be generated from a playoff system, but the schools collecting the most money would realize a net loss due to the profit sharing involved. The big winners of a playoff system would be the schools currently outside of the BCS.

Why would six conferences want to share money with the remaining schools?

The honorable Senator from Utah has formally challenged the system. The big money schools have signaled a "compromise" by allowing a non-BCS school to "qualify" for a BCS bowl. For Orin Hatch, that isn't good enough and frankly, I agree with him.

The big difference between Boise State and Gonzaga?

The Zags have an opportunity based upon their play on the court (as opposed to subjective polls) to compete for a championship. I will take the Zag post season opportunities any day over the situation that Boise State endures.

BroncoZAG615
10-15-2009, 07:25 PM
No matter what, Gonzaga is the originator. You hear all the time "Boise is the Gonzaga of CFB", you never hear it the other way around. I like that.

32 or 64 team tourney in CFB is a joke. Wayy too long of a schedule for college athletes. Wouldn't work TV-wise with the media monster that football is. Bowls are a great thing and should be kept. You might, might see an 8 team playoff but then the 9th team will be complaining. Hopefully a plus-one system arises but that is all you will ever see. Football is just too demanding for a long playoff system.

I always laugh at how people refer to that Boise-OU game as a "great game". That was such a horribly, horribly boring game until the very end. Most people missed the ending because it was such a terribly played game. Oh well.

Watching this Big East game, I just wish the Mountain West would add Boise and Fresno and create a super Mountain conference and take out the Big East but Big East$$$/markets>>>>>Mountain West$$$$/markets

NotoriousZ
10-15-2009, 07:39 PM
...32 or 64 team tourney in CFB is a joke. Wayy too long of a schedule for college athletes. Wouldn't work TV-wise with the media monster that football is. Bowls are a great thing and should be kept. You might, might see an 8 team playoff but then the 9th team will be complaining. Hopefully a plus-one system arises but that is all you will ever see. Football is just too demanding for a long playoff system...

Doesn't the current bowl system last over a month now? We're still just talking about one game a week, with half of the teams eliminated each week. Only a few teams will make it past three weeks, and I don't think they'd be saying that this is, "Wayy too long a schedule for college athletes."

BroncoZAG615
10-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Doesn't the current bowl system last over a month now? We're still just talking about one game a week, with half of the teams eliminated each week. Only a few teams will make it past three weeks, and I don't think they'd be saying that this is, "Wayy too long a schedule for college athletes."

Just seems long to me. College football players playing 15 games to decide a championship seems long to me when you consider that some do actually take school seriously. I also think that football is different than basketball because when you only play 12 games a year, consistency is vital. It's not like in basketball where you have some "throw away" games that happen after a long road trip or something like that. the BCS does away with teams (USC) that lose these ridiculous early season games for no reason and complain about the BCS at the end of the year. Football is about consistent play and those 12 or so times to impress are all that you get.

Now, there are some cases where four or five teams have one loss or three teams go undefeated and that is where a plus one is really the only legit option. If you start off with an 8 or 12 team playoff, than the 9th and 13th teams will complain and you can hit a slippery slope.

This doesn't feel much like a Gonzaga board anymore! :)

webspinnre
10-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Just seems long to me. College football players playing 15 games to decide a championship seems long to me when you consider that some do actually take school seriously. I also think that football is different than basketball because when you only play 12 games a year, consistency is vital. It's not like in basketball where you have some "throw away" games that happen after a long road trip or something like that. the BCS does away with teams (USC) that lose these ridiculous early season games for no reason and complain about the BCS at the end of the year. Football is about consistent play and those 12 or so times to impress are all that you get.

Now, there are some cases where four or five teams have one loss or three teams go undefeated and that is where a plus one is really the only legit option. If you start off with an 8 or 12 team playoff, than the 9th and 13th teams will complain and you can hit a slippery slope.

Frankly, if you can't convince pollsters you're one of the top 4 or 8 teams in the nation in football, you don't belong in the playoffs. For that 5th or 9th team, well, I'm sorry, but your claim is a whole lot less valid than the 3rd place team that doesn't get a shot at it. The further down you go, the less sorry I feel for teams that don't qualify.

23dpg
10-15-2009, 08:32 PM

The NCAA does have a football playoff...and 16 games aren't too many.

n its ninth season of 1986, the I-AA playoffs (The NCAA Division I Football Championship) were expanded again, to the present 16 team format, requiring four post-season victories to win the
title.

16 teams aren't enough..the NCAA agrees again.

In April 2008 the NCAA announced that the playoff field will again expand to include 20 teams beginning in 2010. [3]

Not having a tourney for the big schools has nothing to do with the number of games or academics.