PDA

View Full Version : Best in the West?

ZagNative
10-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Here's what HoopsWorld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/FeedItem.asp?FEED_ITEM_ID=1162674) thinks:
College Basketball: Quincy Pondexter, Washington’s terrific scoring wing, might be the most underrated player on the West Coast. He’s the only senior a squad teeming with young players (nine freshman or sophomores). Last year in the preseason we thought Gonzaga was the best team out West, and the Zags advanced to the Sweet 16 (the only other team to get that far was Arizona, which lost by 39 to Louisville). This year, our Best in the West vote goes to the Huskies. We might regret that call - the Huskies are thin inside, having lost Jon Brockman, but we really like the trio of Pondexter, Isiah Thomas, and freshman Abdul Gaddy. With USC and UCLA basically starting over, we’re close to picking California as the 2nd best team in the Pac-10. [Seattle Times]Well, I think most of us aren't too worried about preseason rankings this year, recognizing the many unknowns on our team this year, but Best in the West - UW? Ouch!

JohnOGU
10-15-2009, 03:08 PM
With Meech, Bouldin, Gray, and Sacre, I'd pick us over them in a heartbeat. Also...I think Elias could handle Pondexter...

NotoriousZ
10-15-2009, 03:14 PM
With Meech, Bouldin, Gray, and Sacre, I'd pick us over them in a heartbeat.

I'd pick us in a game against them also, our court or theirs (but I guess they would pick the Zags too, or we'd be playing them).
:roll:

Kiddwell
10-15-2009, 03:49 PM
After the UP Pilots beat the Huskies with a stick on December 19th, the folks at the Seattle Times will regret their best-west pick, indeed.

:]

MickMick
10-15-2009, 07:00 PM
After the UP Pilots beat the Huskies with a stick on December 19th, the folks at the Seattle Times will regret their best-west pick, indeed.

I'm pulling for the Pilots. A win over a Pac 10 favorite would lend credibility to the WCC and to their program. I'm also a psuedo fan of the team. I think they will be very good. With Bone gone from Portland State, they have a chance to capture the city of Portland in a big way for years to come.

I don't think there should be any shame if the Zags were to lose to a quality team like Portland. Please don't let it happen in the conference tournament though :)

dawgfather11
10-15-2009, 07:44 PM
hate to break it to you guy's but GU would get run out of the gym... irregardless we won't actually find out how badly GU would lose unless they play in the tourney. As to best in the west definitely a toss up between Cal and UW

Nevtelen
10-15-2009, 07:52 PM
hate to break it to you guy's but GU would get run out of the gym... irregardless we won't actually find out how badly GU would lose unless they play in the tourney. As to best in the west definitely a toss up between Cal and UW

It's possible GU would lose, nothing in life is certain. But run out of the gym? Please.

ZagNative
10-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Dawgfather11 is mostly a UW fan, but he's a good poster here and shouldn't be redballed out of the gym for expressing his opinion. Lighten up, people.

JohnOGU
10-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Run out of the gym? Give me one valid reason why we would get run out of the gym. Cause Abdul Gaddy isn't going to do it by himself. No offense dawgfather11, but that makes me laugh.

BroncoZAG615
10-15-2009, 08:17 PM

Go Cal.

23dpg
10-15-2009, 08:22 PM

That's irridiculous.:D

BroncoZAG615
10-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Dawgfather11 is mostly a UW fan, but he's a good poster here and shouldn't be redballed out of the gym for expressing his opinion. Lighten up, people.

Coming to a Gonzaga message board and saying GU would get run out of the gym by a former heated rival program that Mark Few has had damn good success against doesn't seem to be the smartest thing in the world. It's like when some idiot wearing a Washington shirt walked through the Gonzaga student section...you're going to get stuff thrown at you.

I'll admit I was a bit :enraged: after the post but after thinking about cute little Washington fans, I had to :lmao:

WallaWallaZag
10-15-2009, 08:32 PM
getting run out of the gym is silly, but i have no problem giving the huskies the edge against us at this point until we see what all our new guys can actually do in a real game. the trio of gaddy, thomas, and pondexter is pretty explosive.

MDABE80
10-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Nobody will run GU out of any gym this year. I don't see what all the excitment is in Seattle this year. It's like Obama..well enough of that. Gaddy and midget core with no bigs mixed in with Pondexter (who is a very skinny 3).....I mean 3 guys?.... .and GU would fold? Don't be silly. UW wouldn't even see a rebound. Meech and GJ would have those sissies gassed within 5 minutes. Matt and Steven would put up 20 a piece.

Joe...nah...ur just bein silly...as are the writers. PX's going to have a very down year again (which is how UW won the league last year) and just isn't what it usually is. And of course, topping it all off is that the Zags have a serious coach...not just a peacock who watches.

ZagNut08
10-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Gonzaga has won 9 of the last 10 against UW, we have their #...so the edge goes to GU

soccerdud
10-15-2009, 08:56 PM
yeah, i respect the team UW will field this year... but until they grow some balls and play us again, any trash talking by them just rings empty.

pbriz
10-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Coming to a Gonzaga message board and saying GU would get run out of the gym by a former heated rival program that Mark Few has had damn good success against doesn't seem to be the smartest thing in the world. It's like when some idiot wearing a Washington shirt walked through the Gonzaga student section...you're going to get stuff thrown at you.

I'll admit I was a bit :enraged: after the post but after thinking about cute little Washington fans, I had to :lmao:

Bronco were you at the game in 2006 when the UW fan walked into the student section and got absolutely owned? First thing that came to my mind when I saw this.

MickMick
10-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Harris against Pondexter would be worth the price of admission. I'm not sold on Thomas, but Gaddy would be big trouble. I would think that Sacre would completely own a 5' by 5' square under the rim. No one on their roster comes close to being as physical. And no one from UW is going to outrun Meech and Vilarino.

It would be a great game to watch. But it isn't going to happen and we all know the reasons why. So all we can do is speculate.

My take:

UW will have their hands full with the Pilots. Let's see if UP gets "run out of the gym".

pbriz
10-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Harris against Pondexter would be worth the price of admission. I'm not sold on Thomas, but Gaddy would be big trouble.

It would be a great game to watch. But it isn't going to happen and we all know the reasons why. So all we can do is speculate.

My take:

UW will have their hands full with the Pilots. Let's see if UP gets "run out of the gym".

The Huskies basketball can play D and I think that brews trouble for UP. 3 point shooting is the strength the pilots and they need that to expose their opponents. I'm not sold on Sikma or Smuelders as of yet, but those are the two players that need to come up big if UP wants to beat UW. The Huskies backcourt is loaded and they can get up on their opponents. I think the Huskies take that one, but only because they match up so well. I have high expectations for UP this year and I think they will really surprise some people (UCLA, for one)

Nevtelen
10-15-2009, 09:39 PM
The Huskies basketball can play D and I think that brews trouble for UP. 3 point shooting is the strength the pilots and they need that to expose their opponents. I'm not sold on Sikma or Smuelders as of yet, but those are the two players that need to come up big if UP wants to beat UW. The Huskies backcourt is loaded and they can get up on their opponents. I think the Huskies take that one, but only because they match up so well. I have high expectations for UP this year and I think they will really surprise some people (UCLA, for one)

+1

Not to mention it's on the road. Unless Portland's road record improves dramatically... not good. I do think UP has at least even odds to beat UCLA, though, and probably at least that against Oregon.

MickMick
10-15-2009, 09:45 PM
If UW couldn't beat Portland with Brockman.......

I question their toughness and physicality without him. Portland could slow the game down and hit their shots. Their coach is too smart too run with them.

I think UW gets physically abused inside. Thomas can score, but he seems out of control at times. I think he will make mistakes.

BroncoZAG615
10-15-2009, 09:47 PM
And of course, topping it all off is that the Zags have a serious coach...not just a peacock who watches.

Speaking of coaches and Portland, Eric Reveno is one of the up and coming coaches in the nation and has done a great job building that program. Give them the advantage in that department as well.

Kiddwell
10-15-2009, 09:58 PM
hate to break it to you guy's but GU would get run out of the gym... irregardless we won't actually find out how badly GU would lose unless they play in the tourney.

Kiddwell's GU education says the word you want is "regardless," dawgfather. The double-negative rule? Not that Kiddwell's being negative. In fact, anytime a UW grad needs an English-usage refresher, just give a Zag a holler. Glad to help.

<Oh! And GU has no intention of playing UW in the NIT> ;)

23dpg
10-15-2009, 10:14 PM
I guess you missed my subtle dig Kiddwell, but that was my point also.

Kiddwell
10-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Clever, 23,...and funny.

dawgfather11
10-15-2009, 11:43 PM

haha nicely done zn :D Every once in awhile i gotta come in and bring you guy's back down to earth. People need to lighten up here :D It's almost bball season (midnight madness fri woot) Of course we've actually had something to cheer about this year in football so it hasn't been to hard waiting for practice to start

MDABE80
10-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Doesn't matter...maybe if not this year, the next. Might be time to renew the annual beatdowns. Sounds ok by me. If...and it's a big "if" the Zags wanna get their hands dirty again. Really.over the past few years since ROmar ran off, they really haven't changed much. So what's to gain? Likely not much. I suppose we could play em for the fans but the results would be the same. ...recruits regretting their decisions and Husky Alums grinding their tooth(s)..:)

Dawgfather is a good guy. He likes to give us shots and he's pretty good at it. As Mick said above though, Harris and Quincy would be a fun match to watch.
Likes to get under our skin a bit.

rdulay8
10-16-2009, 12:20 AM
It's like when some idiot wearing a Washington shirt walked through the Gonzaga student section...you're going to get stuff thrown at you.

Bronco were you at the game in 2006 when the UW fan walked into the student section and got absolutely owned? First thing that came to my mind when I saw this.

cant help but notice you both referenced a video i took as a freshman. i'd post a link to it on youtube but its not safe for work or around kids because of cursing and obscene gestures

ZagNative
10-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Yup, ZN likes dawgfather11, but he will swagger onto guboards from time to time to poke a bit ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/taunt003.gif

But when it comes time for the Bulldogs and the Huskies to meet, the Bulldogs put the Huskies in their place ...
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/doghouse.gif

And Mark Few, from the podunk little school across the state, gives Lorenzo Romar some encouragement to hightail it back over the mountains and suddenly find his dance card too full to fit in the Zags ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/wwdtv7_26266.gif

So, dawgfather11's not the spawn of satan, but there's nothing wrong with giving him a big bronx cheer when he gets too puffed up! (ZN has a Husky in the family as well and therefore understands the tragedy of losing a loved one to the Purple and Gold.)

CB4
10-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Irregardless, the new Husky uniforms are atrocious.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2602/4010714405_ea0e5efdb6_o.png

azzagfan
10-16-2009, 04:04 AM
To be honest, I think the Huskies will be very exciting team to watch this year (as much as it pains me to admit it). Isaiah Thomas really burst onto the college scene last year, but I had always thought his high school ranking wasn't an accurate measurement of his skill (his size seemed to scare the recruiting sites off a bit). I actually see the same potential with GJ as they're both undersized, hyper-quick guards who like to score. GJ fell a bit out of favor with the recruiting sites, but I think he has loads of potential and talent that Jerry Meyer and friends may have missed (or fell out of love with temporarily...they can be fickle).

The Huskies will need to find someone who will go to the glass. They are losing a load of rebounds from last year's squad, and guard-oriented teams tend to sink or swim based on the ability to minimize rebounding deficits.

sittingon50
10-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Yeah, I remember that one... B.Roy & Nate go for a period of about 15 minutes without scoring a field goal. In Seattle. I've rewatched that one a # of times. 86-62. Just slightly better than the 67-47 win the Zags got in Seattle the time before. But I'm sure that the new guys are better than the "iraforementioned" huskies.

As always, laughable.

titopoet
10-16-2009, 08:25 AM

You got to respect a loyal fans like Cub fans. At the start of every year they believe that they will win the world series. At the end of the season they believe in "wait until next year."

You got to love the fans that believe that your team not only could compete with the local national powerhouse, but blow them out, even though they have lost 90&#37; of the time to that same power.

You got to love the fan that believes his coach when dodging the power because they want to play more national powers like Long Beach State, and Cal State Northridge.

You got love the fans who think their coach is better than the other power's coach despite starting the season in the top 25 and ending with a loss to Valparaiso in the CBI tourney (at home, none the less). All the while complaining that they were robbed and should have been in the NIT.

You got to love the fans that are loyal despite reality.

dawgfather11, keep believing, and you are right the only way UW will face the Zags is in the NCAAs. History say GU will be there. UW? Maybe or Maybe not? The NIT or CBI isn't so bad? Is it? If not, there is always next season.

----
visit www.life-and-faith.org

dawgfather11
10-16-2009, 02:04 PM
haha nicely done ZN! I just like to pop in from time to time when you all get to full of yourselfs for a lil ol wcc team :P

I was at the game when the UW fan did that, i was proudly wearing my UW gear, met alot of you fine folks at that game to! Hell i've probally been to more zag games than some here, usually make it to 2 games a year in spokane plus the BIS. Seen the zags play both times in vegas and will be there again this year as well!

p.s. those black jerseys are damn sexy :D

BobZag
10-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Friendly banter. *needle needle* ;)

Kiddwell
10-16-2009, 04:10 PM
haha nicely done ZN! I just like to pop in from time to time when you all get to full of yourselfs for a lil ol wcc team :P

I was at the game when the UW fan did that, i was proudly wearing my UW gear, met alot of you fine folks at that game to!

p.s. those black jerseys are damn sexy :D

Dawgfather, listen, we love you, and just to make you feel at home:

I are happy alot, irregardless of ours neu & sexy uniforms, that the univarsissy of worshington cin play basketbawl two. We are, as u say, to full of ourselfs over hier in Spokane, sure, butt we also hardily whish with all our hart that UW would fine the intestinational fortitude to play us agin. For one thang, it'd help our grammar, not two mention, our grandpa. :p

maynard g krebs
10-16-2009, 04:18 PM

If I was 7'8 and weighed 400lbs and had great athletic ability, I could dominate Shaq, I tell ya...

Quitting a rivalry game loved by all fans in the NW says all there is to say about uw. My $ is on Cal in the P10. They have a coach.

ZagsGoZags
10-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi Dawg,
nice to see you post in here
haven't seen you in awhile
I certainly agree that UW is ranked higher than us by the media analysts this year, and there are some reasons for that, and it may be true at the end of the season

But it seems like an exaggeration to say 'run out of the gym' when none of us knows how GU will be this year. I mean with all these unknowns we could go anywhere from 4 losses to 10 losses this year.

I would counter you by saying that most of the 'running' this decade has been Coach Chicken Romar running away from any gym that might have GU playing him.

kitzbuel
10-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Irregardless, the new Husky uniforms are atrocious.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2602/4010714405_ea0e5efdb6_o.png

Wow, there is a similarity here

http://www.nikeblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Oregon-Ducks-Football-Jersey-LeGarrette-Blount.jpg

Who let Phil Knight into the Graves Building?