PDA

View Full Version : Meehan: Great Stuff from Leon Rice Going into Practice Friday Night

ZagNative
10-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Wow. Tons of pithy stuff in Meehan's Blog (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/oct/15/zags-ready-opening-practice/) today! Pick your favorite quote!

I'll start with this one:
Everybody should be on hand for the opening practice. Arop has worn a protective boot after experiencing discomfort in his foot, but Rice said that was a preventative measure and Arop will practice without limits. Grant Gibbs (back) is also good to go as well as Sacre.

Jakester425
10-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Great Article! Thanks for the post ZN.

My favorite quote:

"I told Mark (Few) that it’s like talking to the United Nations and they don’t have their headsets on,” Rice said. “They all look at you and say, ‘huh.’ ”

BobZag
10-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Nice.

Funny quote about United Nations.

Harris, Dower, Olynyk, Kong... Love what's said about them. Dower's body is already changing and Few wants Bol to be an aggressive scorer.

Sweet.

NotoriousZ
10-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Great news about Manny!!! Can't wait to hear about the 1st pratice!

CDC84
10-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Sam Dower: “He’s just one of those kids who has improved a ton from when we signed him, and he’s going to continue to improve. That’s the exciting thing about him. His body is already starting to change.”

In other words, if the 2009 recruiting rankings were redone, Sam would probably be a top 75 player, minimum. The staff has a consistent pattern of picking off players like Sam who take their game to another level during their senior year in high school.

Angelo Roncalli
10-15-2009, 04:30 PM
I was just looking at the roster and noticed the following:

Will Foster 7'5" 273# Sr.
Rob Sacre 7'0" 247# RS Soph
Andy Poling 6'11" 232# RS Freshman
Sam Dower 6'11" 228# Freshman
Kelly Olynyk 6'11" 215# Freshman

Five guys 6'11" or better? Wouldn't be surprised if that's some kind of record.

BobZag
10-15-2009, 04:57 PM
I think they got Dower wrong. He's 6'9"ish. Still, quite a lengthy roster.

CDC84
10-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Add on to that Arop and Kong who possess 7 foot wingspans.....

MickMick
10-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Few wants Kong to be an aggressive scorer.

A very simple, yet powerful message.

Get ready Zag Nation. A star is about to be born.

zagamatic
10-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Thank you very, very, very, very, very much for the article! :D I've been slammed with work lately and it's nice to just come here and get all the info that I want about the guys. Much appreciated!

OZZY
10-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Great to have the staff feedback so early in the season. I am really excited about KO, it is great that the staff can see his versatility, is time he will be able to play virtrually any position on the floor (point forward for example). As time goes on I see the staff drawing up plays utilising his skills and causing mismatches. As much as these kids have offensive talent, how the staff is able to utilise all of the newcomers talents and athleticism on defence will also be an exciting thing to follow.

ZagNative
10-15-2009, 08:39 PM
This caught my eye:
Manny Arop: “The thing we’ve seen is he’s a gamer. Every international competition he was in, he produced. That’s a good quality to have. He’s in the same boat in that he has a lot to learn and not a lot of time to learn it.”I'm going to stick my neck out and offer my impression of the use of the word "gamer."

I am reminded of what Mark Few said about Austin Daye his freshman year when he had a terrific game at San Francisco, in this quote from the Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2004008400_webzags11.html):
Coach Mark Few said Daye hadn't put on such a display in practice.

"Austin is a gamer," Few said. "It's only one game out, but it's an incredible opening act."So, my impression of what Leon said is that they haven't been as impressed in practice but they know he'll show up and be big time at crunch time.

thoughts?

MickMick
10-15-2009, 10:03 PM
This caught my eye:I'm going to stick my neck out and offer my impression of the use of the word "gamer."

I am reminded of what Mark Few said about Austin Daye his freshman year when he had a terrific game at San Francisco, in this quote from the Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2004008400_webzags11.html):So, my impression of what Leon said is that they haven't been as impressed in practice but they know he'll show up and be big time at crunch time.

thoughts?

My guess:

With Manny showing up in a "beat up" condition from a rigorous summer, they probably have not had enough time to evaluate Manny in peak health. He played several games despite tendinitis in his knee. From that standpoint, he seems to have a "Stepp-like" quality of playing at a high level through pain. That is one version of a "gamer".

The coaching staff has had an opportunity to assess his tournament play from this past summer and that is likely good enough to be very optimistic and warrant the compliment.

When Mark Few calls a player a "gamer", you can be sure it is meant in a most positive way.

Nevtelen
10-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Not to be the wet blanket in this thread, but every time we get a report of "X players are doing fine and ready to start practicing," it seems to be almost inevitably followed by a report of "X player broke his [insert inconvenient bone here] and will be out until [insert far-off date here]." Let's hope this one breaks the streak.

75Zag
10-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Great to read the positive comments on the GU players and team. For better or worse, we have nothing but a lot of hope and hype until the Michigan State game on November 17th when we should all be able to see for ourselves whether this version of the Bulldogs has anything special to offer. Hope they do.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

BobZag
10-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Great to read the positive comments on the GU players and team. For better or worse, we have nothing but a lot of hope and hype until the Michigan State game on November 17th when we should all be able to see for ourselves whether this version of the Bulldogs has anything special to offer. Hope they do.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Agree in general, but a Sparty whupping of the Zags so early in the season wouldn't tell me much about the team. It would be how the squad responds that would tell us about them. Illinois creamed Gonzaga just a few days before that Zag team responded by pasting UW by 20 and went on to a great season. In Dickau's senior year, Ilinois, again, wiped out the Zags, but that team only lost three games all season.

Maui will be a better gauge, imo. And that tough road stretch in early Jan.

Reborn
10-16-2009, 10:20 AM
I really liked the positve perspective from coach Rice. I felt his vision for this year is pretty positive and optimistic. I especially like his positive attitude about the new players. I don't think his attitude is any different from what the majority of bloggers have been saying this summer and early fall. I think that's great news because we've all been very positive about the incoming class. It was very interesting to see what he thought about Olynyk, playing at the 2 spot, and yes having skills to go inside (felt like what I might use to describe Matt Bouldin, but a very much bigger version of Matt). Can you imagine Matt at 6' 11"? I was glad to hear him say that he felt that Harris could possibly be playing some 3. I think that's good. I also felt he has a very positive attitude about the kinds of contributions that Harris, Kong and Arop will make. I think my biggest surprise is the report on Sam Dower. Very positive I thought. This is such a new and young team, and although I am and will be very positive, I have had, and probably will have for awhile, my doubts about the outcomes for this team. At times I feel a certain cautiousness about everything. I hope that that tendency will cease by the end of non conference play.

duper
10-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Great Article! Thanks for the post ZN.

My favorite quote:

"I told Mark (Few) that it’s like talking to the United Nations and they don’t have their headsets on,” Rice said. “They all look at you and say, ‘huh.’ ”

It was my understanding that English was not a problem with any of our players. If that is true what don't they understand, basketball?

75Zag
10-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Having players whose primary language is not English can pay dividends. I have a friend who played basketball and whose primary language was (and is) Russian. He tells me that when he was a victim of a bad call, he could loudly and joyfully call the referee a *&^%$(_&%^$ in Russian and the ref only looked at him and smiled, whereas if he had said the same thing in English, he would have received a lifetime suspension after about fifteen minutes of his first US game.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Baldwinzag
10-16-2009, 11:27 AM
It was my understanding that English was not a problem with any of our players. If that is true what don't they understand, basketball?

From my understanding, learning the GU flex offense is equivalent to learning a completely new language. Considering the Coaches utilize their own set of verbiage, terms, slang, and semantics for the offensive sets, plays, and even simple fundamentals. The players study the words and terminology nearly as much as the play itself. Add in another 20+ variations for every play and they are required to learn a ton of new information.

I recall Adam Morrison stating it took him his entire Freshman season to learn the terminology of our offense. Although he averaged an unbelievable 11 ppg during his Frosh season, they mostly just told him "Score when you get the ball!". He did just that. However, I've heard Meech has had little issues in learning the offense and was a prodigy in picking up all the terms/plays/fundamentals. Go Meech!

duper
10-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I figured the terms used to discribe situations would be different for Harris but I didn't think as much for the Canadians. The Zag "O" is not dificult to learn or to run. I have been to many coaching clinics put on by Few and staff. It is fun to watch the game and recognize what they are trying to accomplish and then seeing it happen really is a thing of beauty. Its what makes us great!