PDA

View Full Version : The Zags Have Their 2010 Recruit!

BobZag
10-13-2009, 10:57 AM
I keep hearing from one coach after the other how David Stockton will be playing PG for Gonzaga in a few years. The kid is simply outstanding but needs to mature physically, hence the redshirt year. The staff realized just how good David was when he totally schooled Brett Kingma at the Elite Camp.

Anyway, bottom line: Don't sleep on Stockton. He will be the Real Deal in a few years.

He's the best 2010 recruit the program could hope for.

dnj116
10-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Well he's certainly got the genes...time will tell. (patiently waiting for naysayers who have never seen the kid play a minute of ball say he's only here because of his father. Let him prove it himself.)

outrunu
10-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Good for him......I hope he's able to overcome the unreal expectation a lot of people will have about him stepping into a giant pair of shoes that don't belong to him.

Angelo Roncalli
10-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Coach G singled out David Stockton yesterday at the tipoff luncheon. He mentioned his basketball IQ and how tenacious David is. He said David just
needs to mature physically (he weighs 155 right now).

former1dog
10-13-2009, 11:42 AM
#1 - David Stockton has got the best personal coach a point guard could ever have, especially a smallish, not so athletic point guard.

#2 - Until I see some on the court evidence from young Mr. Stockton, please put me in the skeptic category. It looks like I'll be there awhile considering the redshirt year.

Kiddwell
10-13-2009, 11:43 AM
If Dad picks up the tab for David all five years (could happen), that's an extra bonus as it opens up another scholarship. (Like WSU's Taylor Rochestie's dad.) :)

:]

a13coach
10-13-2009, 12:14 PM
If Dad picks up the tab for David all five years (could happen), that's an extra bonus as it opens up another scholarship. (Like WSU's Taylor Rochestie's dad.) :)

:]

True, but if David's efforts and performance are on par with the other scholarship players then he deserves the scholarship it should not matter if his parents can afford to pay or not.

hooter73
10-13-2009, 01:46 PM
word is he (family) will be paying his own way as a gesture to keeping a scolarship open for someone deserving. And the other word is that he is very very very good. Too bad we are PG heavy for the next few years, he should get at least one season in the lime light though.

Wow talk about speculating five years down the line.

BobZag
10-13-2009, 02:05 PM
And the other word is that he is very very very good.

This is what I keep hearing, hooter. But yes, down the road a ways. I think if Olynyk or Dower or whomever redshirts, that makes two Zags that will be freshmen next year (2010), albeit redshirt freshmen.

Nothing wrong with a two man class. That's enough, imo.

maynard g krebs
10-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Saw one of his games at state last year, and thought he had Dickau-Ridnour level understanding of running a team, but in a D2 body. If he just develops the muscle and accompanying increase in athleticism, this should happen. Will be a top 5 pg nationally in terms of basketball IQ, imo. Not at all surprised he schooled Kingma.

pbriz
10-13-2009, 04:17 PM
For now I'm going to remain in the skeptic party, although I love the idea of bringing him along as a walk on.

All I could really find on him was that he averaged 12.4 ppg last year.
http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/E0esxt0DeESPHHxkvxM15g/basketball-winter-08-09/stats-david-stockton.htm

These stats didn't show FG%, FT%, steals, assists, etc so it doesn't give a real big measure of his abilities. Love the basketball IQ-I feel that's really important as a walk on because it will make the other players in our program play smarter also. I will consider him just that though as of now, a walk on, because sometimes I feel like we put way too high of expectations on kids (and this one already has expectations beyond belief due to his reputation as a Stockton).

SunDevilGolfZag
10-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Saw one of his games at state last year, and thought he had Dickau-Ridnour level understanding of running a team, but in a D2 body. If he just develops the muscle and accompanying increase in athleticism, this should happen. Will be a top 5 pg nationally in terms of basketball IQ, imo. Not at all surprised he schooled Kingma.

Apparently George Raveling must have thought David's dad had a D2 body too ;)

MickMick
10-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Imagine what a fan favorite he would be. And the fact that he is freeing up a scholarship to boot. And as previously mentioned, the all time leader NBA leader in steals and assists with more than a passing interest in his success. Further, the accessability for Stockton Sr. to directly influence and teach with the blessings of the coaching staff. Then there is the storyline that the media will sieze upon.

Young Stockton (Skywalker?) has everything going for him to succeed. He was born with the "force".

BobZag
10-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Imagine what a fan favorite he would be. And the fact that he is freeing up a scholarship to boot. And as previously mentioned, the all time leader NBA leader in steals and assists with more than a passing interest in his success. Further, the accessability for Stockton Sr. to directly influence and teach with the blessings of the coaching staff. Then there is the storyline that the media will sieze upon.

Young Stockton (Skywalker?) has everything going for him to succeed. He was born with the "force".

But, remember, Anakin Skywalker had no father. ;)

Zag365
10-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Coach G singled out David Stockton yesterday at the tipoff luncheon. He mentioned his basketball IQ and how tenacious David is. He said David just
needs to mature physically (he weighs 155 right now).

Angelo you summarized it well. I'd only add that Coach had a great big smile, like the cat that ate the canary, when he described young Stockton.

Since most of us have never seen Stockton play or practice (and our ability to judge what his potential a couple years from now is pretty limited), I'd trust the coaches, David, and his Dad on this. I can't believe any of them would start down this road if it was a lark or a courtesy. There's too much involved in terms of hard work, reputation, pressure, integrity, and credibility on each of their part to have it be anything but a legit undertaking. I'm delighted that young Stockton is willing to endure the scrutiny and the burden of trying to play D-1 basketball at Gonzaga given the spotlight that will be on him because of the stature of his Dad and the program. Shows great confidence and character.

Does that mean that Stockton is going to be as good as his Dad at his age? Who knows, but if it turns out that the kid earns any playing time -- and lightning in a bottle seems to be Gonzaga's way -- we'll all be in love with it because he's our son as well.

When Coach G asked to what he attributes the longevity of the coaching staff at Gonzaga, he said that it is a true "family" atmosphere at Gonzaga. Something he said every school talks about, but that he has not found to be true except at Gonzaga and, maybe, Duke.

The Stockton story is epitome of what makes Gonzaga so special. The cynics can second-guess, but I'm trusting the family on this one.

thespywhozaggedme
10-13-2009, 06:30 PM
So in a few years we'll have Steve Nash 2.0 (Pangos) and John Stockton 2.0 (David) manning the point? I'll take that. ;)

ZagNative
10-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Zag365, thanks for a great post!

cggonzaga
10-13-2009, 07:37 PM
While David's bball iq is extremely high I think it's the other intangibles that make him a possible future good point guard. The kid works harder than anybody out there and while I won't quite put him in the Meech bulldog attitude department, he is not far behind. I worry some about his athleticism at the D1 level but there's already been one Stockton to negate those thoughts. I'm glad to hear the praise he's getting from the coaches and it just goes to show us that some of the best players don't always have to score 30ppg.

jonesz
10-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Bob,

Speaking of Kingma.............what's the latest on him?? Have the zags stopped recruiting him??

I still like his game.

killerbootsman
10-13-2009, 08:50 PM
doubtful

bigparb
10-13-2009, 10:47 PM
David Stockton being sold as the PG of the future??? if this was a stock, well, I'm not buying it....

I live in Spokompton and have seen the kid play multiple times....he's not our future PG. Period. I'm not saying he's a scrub....the kid can play---HI IQ, ect....He could play significant minutes at a lower level D1, but not here.......

Gonzaga is a national power....to stay as a national power, you need to have elite level athlete's with elite level skills........DS is not an elite athlete. OK, lets step back because I know where some of you are going to go....I know Dickau wasn't an elite athlete, but Man could he stroke--and he was clutch as hell; DS don't stroke like that.....ok so he can't stroke like that (not many can), can he penetrate against D1 bigs and finish?? at 150lbs soaking wet....no..IMO....does he have the frame to get to 185lbs?? JMHO, no.......

I could see possible role player if we have PG depth issues come yr 4-5, but best recruit we could ask for in 2010? huh? .......the idea that he never takes up a scholly and dad pays his way in effort to keep an extra scholly available for Tommy to tour the globe with ala TRochestie, seems most beneficial to GU.....

This is a dangerous position for me to take, as there is often much kool aid being consumed around here (sure, I'm guilty of a sip here and there :) .....but before you bash me and question my integrity and my loyalty to the program, consider my posting history here and try to realize that I have offered up an opinion........just that, an opinion......nothing more....

I will be as excited as the next guy if I'm wrong and DS improves dramatically over the next 5 yrs........prove me wrong DS!!

:horse:

JohnOGU
10-14-2009, 08:42 AM
I also am not convinced that we have found the PG of the future. No disrespect intended by this post either. Simply an opinion.

MDABE80
10-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Everything must be prefaced with one work: NOW. DS's in a development phase. He's still developing...and the coaching staff is happy with his progress. It might be a serious mistake to define DS as a college senior by what he's done as a High school senior. Some kids are late bloomers. Physically, John weighed about the same when he was a HS senior.....and was about the same height. Dave probably has a higher basketball IQ right now than John did at the same time in his career......as he's been around the greatest pure point ever.

Let's see if David's skills develop further. Bring him along. Be patient. One thing is firm: He'll work hard and he has a great amount of baseline skill to work with. Everyone's different. FWIW, one thing I did notice last year was that David changed to a much higher gear when the playoffs came.

guniverse
10-14-2009, 09:14 AM
there should be enough video of him here on this page to make your own decision. personally, when i saw him play, i thought that he had some of the quickest handles that i have scene at the high school level and he had a beautiful shot. i thought to myself, if he was bigger, there would be scouts all over him. maybe he is a late bloomer and can be a major contributor.
http://www.gonzaga74.com/Basketball%20Boys%202007-08/Home%20Page.htm
look to the left for the highlight videos

CarolinaZagFan
10-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Can he play D like his Pops?

BobZag
10-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Bob,

Speaking of Kingma.............what's the latest on him?? Have the zags stopped recruiting him??

Yes.

jake
10-14-2009, 11:20 AM
It appears that David has potential, but it seems like a big leap from where he was last year to where we're projecting him to be in the future. I've never seen him play, so I am not qualified to say one way or the other, but I will go with the more cautious view until I see a little more evidence. The big question that I see, is can DS get his body to a Division 1 level, size wise, and athletic wise. Brian Michaelson was a heck of a high school player, but never quite had the athletic ability to play major minutes at the high D-1 level. To me it's unclear if David will end up resembling Michaelson more, or become a late bloomer like his Dad.

ZagNative
10-14-2009, 11:43 AM
I hope that one day we are able to look back on the doubts about David and laugh, as we would if we were looking back at similar doubts about his dad. As Fitz says about John's induction into the Hall of Fame on this great KREM2 video (http://www.krem.com/video/gonzaga-index.html?nvid=397099), John was 145 lbs when he arrived at Gonzaga and 175 when he left. David, at 150, already has the jump on his Dad in terms of weight.

My own hope for David is that he have a really good time playing basketball for Gonzaga and that the stress and expectations don't take the fun out of it.

JohnOGU
10-14-2009, 11:44 AM
After watching my decade of excellence DVD last night, i started wondering...Will Meech, GJ, and perhaps Stockton live up to the expectations of past Gonzaga guards? Will they be "Guard U" guards?
And when I say this, I'm referring to the Stepps, the Dickaus, the Santangelos, etc.

former1dog
10-14-2009, 11:59 AM
My own hope for David is that he have a really good time playing basketball for Gonzaga and that the stress and expectations don't take the fun out of it.

I think this is definitely something we can all agree on. Chances of this working out for David, just shy of 100% :)

cjm720
10-14-2009, 12:17 PM
If Meech has truly made a freshmen to sophomore leap, he's got the potential to be special. That year of practicing with Pargo surely helped out a lot.

And the same hopefully will go for GJ and DS behind Meech.

I took BZ's post as DS will contribute and can be a good D1 player. This doesn't mean starter, and frankly I hope he doesn't because that would mean there's an injury and or we won't recruit any PG's the next three years. Well, on the flip side, it would be fantastic if DS outshined our current PGs and our future recruits, but I highly doubt that considering the program's move towards more athletic players.

I remember seeing David when he was about 4 years old, dribbling like a maniac in the old Kennel. I really thought he had potential back then ;) and it's totally cool to see him on the roster now. (man, I'm feeling old...that work study job seemed like yesterday).

Bottom line is that we should be privleged that he chose to walk on at GU. He could have played elsewhere, but he chose to stick around and prove that he belongs.

Thank you David, and best of luck!!!! GO ZAGS!!!

hondo
10-14-2009, 12:31 PM
"man, I'm feeling old..."

I remember Jack when he was young, if you feel old.

titopoet
10-14-2009, 01:09 PM
It appears that David has potential, but it seems like a big leap from where he was last year to where we're projecting him to be in the future. I've never seen him play, so I am not qualified to say one way or the other, but I will go with the more cautious view until I see a little more evidence. The big question that I see, is can DS get his body to a Division 1 level, size wise, and athletic wise. Brian Michaelson was a heck of a high school player, but never quite had the athletic ability to play major minutes at the high D-1 level. To me it's unclear if David will end up resembling Michaelson more, or become a late bloomer like his Dad.

It may not be a question of athletic but of size. If the staff is thinking of redshirting him and then giving him a scholarship after seeing him play with the current team, they must believe from what they see on the court with current D1 players. Got to trust the staff, 10 years of excellence and counting.

Visit www.life-and-faith.org (http://www.life-and-faith.org)

maynard g krebs
10-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Apparently George Raveling must have thought David's dad had a D2 body too ;)

Just to be clear, what I was trying to say was that if the "insiders" are saying he's this good now, I'm in the camp that would tend to believe them based on what I saw.

23dpg
10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
John Stockton was not unheard of coming out of GP. He came out of the GSL as the all-time leading scorer in the history of the league (since broken). David was not nearly as good in the league.

I hope he becomes a valuable piece to the Zags, but let's not burden him with unrealistic comparisons.

webspinnre
10-15-2009, 08:33 PM
John Stockton was not unheard of coming out of GP. He came out of the GSL as the all-time leading scorer in the history of the league (since broken). David was not nearly as good in the league.

I hope he becomes a valuable piece to the Zags, but let's not burden him with unrealistic comparisons.

Frankly, as a guy who's a walk-on, I'd take Kyle Bankhead production from him. If you told me right now, that he'd have the opportunity to earn significant minutes as a junior or senior, without potentially costing us a scholarship, I'd immediately ask where to sign up.

TheZagPhish
10-15-2009, 08:35 PM
I remember Jack when he was young, if you feel old.

</checks_hondos_pulse>

ZagAccountant
10-16-2009, 01:14 AM
Consider me a doubter, but I would rather have a different Bullpup on our team or even 2. Walk-ons that seem to compete the best are normally guards, and I would honestly rather have a spot up 3-point shooter that could come in and knock down open looks. If you were familiar with the Prep team that had DS running the point, that player was Fischer. Last I heard, Fischer is playing at Eastern this year, and I believe he is red-shirting. He is much more physically developed than DS(although neither had a legit college weight program) and seemed more explosive when I watched Prep play. I think he will thrive at Eastern.

Also, Prep has a post named Ryan Nicholas who is a stud. I believe he will be a senior this year and has verballed to the ever-improving Portland program(thought I read that in the paper awhile back). I think he is around 6'7 and decently built. He has a nice touch around the rim and he works hard. I think Portland got a steal on him, and Gonzaga bigs may have to worry about him in the future if he grows a little more.

That Prep team was stacked, and I am not surprised at their successful season. Another star on that team, Travis Long, is now a starting defensive end on the WSU football team. He was definitely not afraid to go through defenders to score much like Brockman(although Long definitely chose his better sport to pursue).

I really hope I am proven wrong and that DS develops into an incredible player. But, I will have my doubts until that day. Gonzaga can only benefit from this situation though. If he doesn't develop like the coaches expect, he just won't play really meaningful minutes. I do hope he proves me and every other disbeliever wrong though. Sorry if I am adding to the pressure he has had on his shoulders everyday of his life.

bballbeachbum
10-16-2009, 03:24 PM
can't see how any of this is a problem, and there's no hurry here. Basketball is fun to play, Zag basketball is very fun to play. My hope is he enjoys himself, and from there let's see how he develops across the board, wherever that leads to.

Gonzaga Basketball. Oh boy is this great!

zag67
10-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Bball, well stated. Let a kid be a kid and if he improves his body to be able to compete at this level, GREAT. If not, think of the experiences that he will be able to tell his children about in the years to come. Think of the time of being able to practice and compete against players that may end up in the NBA. Being able to compete against these players would be fantastic.

Think of the fun that he will have spending time with his dad to improve his game. This is something that every one of us fathers/mothers would love to have been capable of doing. Also as a parent having the time to spend with our boy/girl to help them improve to play at the next level (that is in any sport, job or school work) would be something all of us would love.

He might not end up being the next Nash, but he will walk away with many great memories. He also may walk away being a coach and this may lead to being the next Mark Few.

dim4sum
10-17-2009, 02:15 PM
One of my fears about DS is that he may not be able to contain bigger, quicker guards. Against Tony Wrotten of Garfield (the elite junior guard in the country before his stupid football injury), DS just scored five points compared to but 23 for Wrotten and he was on Wrotten for much of the game. But alas one game does not a career make.