PDA

View Full Version : Sean Makes All-Academic Team, Div. I-AAA

ZagNative
04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Division I-AAA Athletic Directors Association (http://nacda.cstv.com/sports/div1aaaada/spec-rel/040607aam.html)

The 21 winners of the fifth annual Division I-AAA Athletics Directors Association Scholar-Athlete Teams were announced today by the Division I-AAA Athletics Directors Association (DI-AAA ADA).

Now in its sixth year, the Division I-AAA Athletics Directors Association's mission is to enhance initiatives common to its Division I-AAA membership (those Division I institutions that do not sponsor football), in particular, aspects related to their flagship basketball programs.

Men's Scholar-Athlete Team

Name Institution GPA Major

Kurt Attaway University of Texas San Antonio 4.00 Psychology

Scott Dougherty Santa Clara University 3.57 Chemistry

Michael Haddix Siena College 3.22 Psychology

Justin Hare Belmont University 3.85 Exercise Science

Charles Harris Canisius College 3.60 Digital Media Arts

Brian Hodges University of Maryland Baltimore County 3.52 Economics

Martin Klimes University of Vermont 3.84 Business Administration/Finance

Sean P. Mallon Gonzaga University 3.53 Master of Organizational Leadership

Luke James Meyer Saint Louis University 3.76 Accounting

Mike Schachtnter University of Wisconsin Green Bay 3.84 General Studies

Anthony Tolliver Creighton University 3.53 Finance

(Tolliver was selected as the Division I-AAA male Scholar-Athlete of the Year. Good news for Sili all-round, with both Creighton and GU representing.)

Edited to add: Help me remember: Do we hate that Dougherty guy? Geez, the season was such a long time ago .... I nourish my grudges where I can, but I have a hard time paying attention once the season is over. Chemistry major? Looks like the punk is on track to be a doctor.

TheZagPhish
04-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Help me remember: Do we hate that Dougherty guy? Geez, the season was such a long time ago .... I nourish my grudges where I can, but I have a hard time paying attention once the season is over. Chemistry major? Looks like the punk is on track to be a doctor.

(TZP checks grudge list and locates said name)

Yes, right here, says:
"Dougherty bears grudge due mostly to his near perfect game against the Zags on February 12, 2007, putting up 23 points and doing his part to end the 50-game win streak at K2."

His folks were both Zags and I seem to recall something about his dad playing here. Truth is he's the one SCU player I've thought most looked like a Zag. He has a terrific shot when he's on and is cool as a cucumber on the pine. I'd like him if it weren't for the grudge book telling me not to. ;)

youreachiteach
04-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Congrats.

Birddog
04-10-2007, 05:54 AM
His folks were both Zags and I seem to recall something about his dad playing here.
Yeah, his dad (John) played for the Zags. Re. the mother, I've never seen (heard) the maiden name so I can't place her. On one of the broadcasts, I think they said he was skipping his Sr year to head off to Dental school.

Birddog

ZagNative
04-10-2007, 06:18 AM
From Dougherty's Bio on the SC official site (http://santaclarabroncos.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/dougherty_scott00.html):

AS A REDSHIRT FRESHMAN IN 2003-2004: ...played in the final game in Gonzaga's Martin Centre, while father, John, played in the first-ever game in the building in 1966

I'm sure this did not pass unremarked upon at the time of the recent game in K2, but I missed it.

NJZag
04-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Interesting that he's been there since '02-'03 and still has a 4th year of eligibility. So he's been a super-senior as far as the academics.

Walk-on and RS in '02-'03. Played the next two years. Medical RS with a fracture the following year. Played this past year, making it 3 years "on" and 2 years "off".

Recent interview quoted him as saying he would consider coming back to use his final eligibility year if he liked the coaching hire. Would mean requesting deferred admission at dental school, and possibly picking up a Master's? or second major? third major? to be a full-time student on the squad.

brasszag
04-10-2007, 09:03 AM
I'll also note that Sean is the ONLY one of the bunch not an undergrad.

To get this honor while in a Masters program is quite a significant accomplishment.

Congrats to all these fine student-athletes.

TheZagPhish
04-10-2007, 09:06 AM
I'll also note that Sean is the ONLY one of the bunch not an undergrad. To get this honor while in a Masters program is quite a significant accomplishment.

No doubt. The future is bright for Sean Mallon. A man that smart, motivated and disciplined will do some pretty amazing things with his life.