PDA

View Full Version : facts a true gonzaga fan should know

cvzag79
10-09-2009, 03:46 PM
what are some facts that only true zag fans should know like one that i came across in an article about Frank Burgess was that the zags used to be called the Irish. me and my coach are serious zag fans and i want to know more then him so anyone got anything unique?

ZagNative
10-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Welcome to guboards, cvzag79.

Angelo could provide the answer for you, but assuming he's not on the board right now ...

I assume this 2004 story by Steve Robinson about Frank Burgess on GUNation (http://gonzaga.scout.com/2/256181.html), the old Scout site, was the source of your information.
In the fall of 1958 when Frank Burgess arrived on campus, Gonzaga had an enrollment of 1808 students. There were only two dormitories. GU fielded teams in five men’s sports: basketball, baseball, cross-country, golf and tennis. There were no women’s athletics. The basketball uniforms were blue; a pale shade called “Columbia blue,” and had sleeves. The GU teams were known by three interchangeable nicknames: Bulldogs, Zags and Irish. Hank Anderson was the head basketball coach and athletic director. Former boxing coach Joey August served as the team trainer. The Zags played their home games off campus in the 6,500-seat Spokane Coliseum; there was no suitable facility on campus. The practice facilities were primitive, the only gym on campus was on the first floor of the Ad Building in the space now occupied by Russell Theatre. Burgess remembers that the gym had limited “creature comforts”: “It would get so hot in there, we’d open the doors. The ball would then inevitably go out the doors and someone would have to run like hell to get it before it went out into the street on Boone Avenue. Our shower room was in the basement; we called it ‘The Dungeon.’”The official Gonzaga history site (http://www.gonzaga.edu/Academics/Libraries/Foley-Library/Departments/Special-Collections/exhibitions/GonzagaHistory1913.asp) also offers this interesting tidbit in the period from 1913 to 1940:
The football teams were called the “Blue and Whites” or “the Fighting Irish” like Notre Dame. However, after a football game in 1921 a reporter wrote that Gonzaga fought tenaciously like bulldogs. Thus, that description became the new mascot. Over the years, Gonzaga has had numerous live bulldogs as mascots, which have been replaced in the eighties by a human wearing a costume. Today’s live bulldog “Q” is enjoying retirement while “Spike”, the human mascot attends athletic events.And Off-topic: get a load of the paragraph and pic immediatly preceding that entry:
With civic involvement, a football stadium was built on campus in 1922. Dominating a large portion of campus property, the stadium cost $100,000 and was considered the finest in the west. The grandstands could hold 12,000. It included football field, a quarter-mile regulation track with eight lanes, baseball diamond, press boxes, clubhouses, and restrooms. Lights were added in 1931. In addition to hosting Gonzaga games and events, this stadium was also used by the city of Spokane.

On November 16, 1926, home run king George Herman “Babe” Ruth came to campus to meet the Gonzaga football team. Ruth was in Spokane for a week at the Pantages Theater. At 200 pounds, Ruth wore the biggest football suit available at Gonzaga. After punting the ball a few times, he met with members of the team, and gave a short talk and said that he was unofficially picking them to win the Homecoming game on Thanksgiving Day against Washington State College. (WSC beat Gonzaga 7-0 with a crowd of over 10,000 at Gonzaga

http://www.gonzaga.edu/Academics/Libraries/Foley-Library/Departments/Special-Collections/exhibitions/ExhibitImages/baberuth1928.jpg

Babe Ruth
[Babe Ruth with
Gonzaga football coach
Clipper Smith, 1926]

Birddog
10-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Gamagin would probably be a better source on this, but to the best of my recollection, during my lifetime (and it is considerable but not as much as Gamagin), the Zags/Bulldogs, were never referred to as the Irish. I had many a conversation with the late Pete Higgins, and I don't recall him ever referring to the name either, and he quarterbacked the team during the mid 30's. It is true that they were called that, in the early years.

A onetime coach of Gonzaga was Gus Dorias, the other half of the Rockne/Dorias duo that were credited (incorrectly) by many with inventing the "forward pass" in football. Dorias and Rockne perfected it though and made it popular. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=799&dat=19731031&id=X_0KAAAAIBAJ&sjid=oVEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2395,2110598 The forward pass was actually invented by the coach at St Louis University (Jesuit) and was first used against Carroll College. http://www.livescience.com/history/060901_football_pass.html

Here is a tidbit that my father used to tell from time to time. For a period of time, mostly in the 30's (think depression era), Gonzaga had more alums playing professionally than any other team in the country. This included the CFL and the NFL. It is believable, since jobs were hard to come by and the pay wasn't so great anyway. I don't know how you would research and prove that though.

cvzag79
10-09-2009, 11:15 PM
thanks a million guys and btw i had an account before but for some reason i could not post anything so i changed it to cvzag79 but thanks anyways! i love reading this board and keep up the good work everyone

krozman
10-10-2009, 03:29 PM
IMO the only thing a zag fan needs to know is actually how to pronounce Gonzaga. Whos with me?

LynetteG
10-10-2009, 04:53 PM
IMO the only thing a zag fan needs to know is actually how to pronounce Gonzaga. Whos with me?

+1

Reborn
10-10-2009, 04:59 PM
It's been a long time since I've thought about your nephew Jordan Morgan. I remember how I hoped he'd be a Zag. Michigan is tunring out to be a good choice. How is he doing?

LynetteG
10-10-2009, 05:04 PM
It's been a long time since I've thought about your nephew Jordan Morgan. I remember how I hoped he'd be a Zag. Michigan is tunring out to be a good choice. How is he doing?
Excellent! Practice starts the 16th and he is cleared to start the 23rd. He is not redshirting. He is enjoying school and all of his classes. Thanks for asking! I am going to watch Mich play Utah in SLC in Dec, can't wait!

IdahoTJR
10-10-2009, 05:12 PM
In the early 80's with homemade costume complete with cape.

a13coach
10-10-2009, 06:22 PM
In the early 80's with homemade costume complete with cape.

That would be our old CM RA- Mike Griffin. :)

Zagtana
10-10-2009, 06:29 PM
I attended GU same time as Frank B. He was one fine b-ball player. Don't remember GU nickname being anything at that time but Bulldogs. However, because I had relatives that attended GU before that, I was a Zag fan way back then. When they played games at the Spokane Armory in the late 40s, I do remember them also being referred to as the Irish, as in Irish Catholic. Back to the Burgess days at GU, in addition to Seattle U., Whitworth was a big rival. Once before a game with GU, some Whitworth guys (football players) "kidnapped" a couple of GU freshmen and cut "W" into their hair. After that game at the Coliseum (which GU won), a crowd got into fisticuffs in the Colley parking lot. The cops came and arrested some (I escaped), but later had to, with help from my Dad's wallet, bail some friends out of jail. Great memories looking back. Go Irish.

RenoZag
10-10-2009, 06:42 PM

+1

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-11-2009, 04:47 AM
If my foggy, cob-webby memory is still serving me, the Knight of Gonzaga was a team nickname that eventually was adopted and used solely by the men's service organization. At one point in Gonzaga's history, (probably around 1925), the athletic teams were known by interchangeable nicknames: Zags, Irish, Knights, and Bulldogs.

Someone who is a lot closer to the Foley Library archives than me can probably verify this.

SteeleMan
10-11-2009, 07:22 PM
I could read your posts all night. :)

I attended GU same time as Frank B. He was one fine b-ball player. Don't remember GU nickname being anything at that time but Bulldogs. However, because I had relatives that attended GU before that, I was a Zag fan way back then. When they played games at the Spokane Armory in the late 40s, I do remember them also being referred to as the Irish, as in Irish Catholic. Back to the Burgess days at GU, in addition to Seattle U., Whitworth was a big rival. Once before a game with GU, some Whitworth guys (football players) "kidnapped" a couple of GU freshmen and cut "W" into their hair. After that game at the Coliseum (which GU won), a crowd got into fisticuffs in the Colley parking lot. The cops came and arrested some (I escaped), but later had to, with help from my Dad's wallet, bail some friends out of jail. Great memories looking back. Go Irish.