PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Add-on for Downloading Videos

ZagNative
10-02-2009, 11:08 AM
I am quite enchanted with my latest discovery, a Firefox add-on for downloading videos from Youtube and other locations to my computer hard drive. You can download it here (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006) if you want to give it a try.

By default it downloads the file as a .flv file, a flash video file, but it gives you the option to simultaneously convert the downloaded file to other formats. After experimenting a bit, I decided to convert to .mwv format, which Windows Media Player can run. I can organize and play the videos from Picasa, which I also use for organizing my (mostly Zags) photo collection.

The download program, which is called "download helper," also has an optional download of a program that runs .flv files directly, without the conversion step. However, Picassa can't yet run .flv format videos so I do the .mwv conversion.

Llike a lot of free download sites, they try to sell you other stuff, so be aware and just stick to what you trust.

TheBeast
10-22-2009, 07:36 PM
I use a similar program to download video content to go on my (1st edition) Zune. Didn't know firefox had an add-on! Thanks!