PDA

View Full Version : Mostly for Sittingon50

former1dog
04-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Pretty impressive stuff for Alan Webb:

http://www.furman.edu/press/pressarchive.cfm?ID=3989

BTW - I read on the Gozags site that Joe Miller ran 14:30 for 5000 meters at the UW Last Chance indoor meet last month, breaking the GU record again.

sittingon50
04-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Looks like Webb might be rollin' again. Don't know if he suffered burnout/injury, but hasn't been lights out for awhile. Are the Summer Olympics '08 or '10?

former1dog
04-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Ya know, I think Webb bit off more than he could chew early last year in the early track season. He was going gangbusters and decided to run a 10k vs. Dathan Ritzenhein. He won in a fantastic finish and a sub 28 minute time.

That really screwed him up though. Eventually, he was diagnosed with anemia. (As I recall.)

This year, he's taking it a little bit smarter.

What a talent, though. Cold weather, windy and you still break 4, with the closest guy 3/4's of the straightaway behind you.

sittingon50
04-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Nice run @ the Drake Relays, former1. Broke Steve Scott's mark of 3:51 at that meet. Loooong way to go to get his American Record of 3:47. Man, I loved watching Steve Scott run.

former1dog
04-30-2007, 08:03 AM
These are exciting times for American athletes in middle and long distance running, 50.

Besides Webb, we have Ryan Hall debuting in the 2nd fastest time ever by an American and second fastest American ever in the Marathon in London. This was following his American record in the half marathon earlier this year.

We should see someone get very close to American records in both the 5000 and 10000 meters on the track this year and what is so cool is that several different athletes could do it.

And, Dan Lincoln broke the long standing American record in the steeplechase last summer. His best competition in the steeple, Anthony Familigetti (sp?) just ran 13:11 for the 5000m a couple weeks ago at Mt. Sac.

Lots of exciting American athletes in the distance events.

BTW - Do you know of or have you heard of Scott McGowan. He's a promising miler/middle distance runner who ran for U. of Montana and now for New Balance. He made the finals at the Oly Trials in 2004 for the 1500m.

Anyway, he's from my hometown!!! :) . I actually had a track record there until he came along and set the state record!?!?!?! Anyway, his brother Felix and I grew up together. Felix McGowan, you might recall played basketball for Gonzaga in the early 90's. Just thought I'd rap this one up with a Gonzaga reference.

sittingon50
04-30-2007, 09:49 AM
I 1st started following the Zags in 92-93; Felix was on that club. I have heard reference to Scott (probably from you) but didn't know the particulars. Thanks for the info.

former1dog
04-30-2007, 10:02 AM
The hits just keep on coming, 50.

Galen Rupp, 20 year old Oregon Duck, runs collegiate record 27:33 for 10000 meters

http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=38531.html

BTW - Scott McGowan was the 2005 indoor USATF 1500m national champion.

former1dog
06-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Webb takes a big scalp by outkicking Lagat.

http://www.iaaf.org/GP07/news/Kind=2/newsId=38898.html

Webb over Lagat, Mottram in Mile

The last time Alan Webb lined up for a mile race against Bernard Lagat and Craig "Buster" Mottram, it was on the boards of Madison Square Garden, just across the East River, at the Millrose Games. Webb was well beaten there, but today he was still in the race as the final moves played out. After shadowing Lagat for three and a half laps, Webb fended off a move from Mottram with 200m remaining, and used the momentum to carry himself onto Lagat's shoulder. From there, it was a clear sprint to the finish, which Webb crossed in 3:52.94 to Lagat's 3:53.88 and Mottram's 3:54.54.

"I wanted to go with 150m remaining, but Webb was already there," said Lagat. "I have the stamina, now I need to work on my speed. Alan has done this before; in Ostrava I was just looking at his back number the whole way." Webb and Lagat will race again next week at the Prefontaine Classic, at the USATF Championships later this month in Indianapolis, and again in Paris. "I like to win," said Lagat, "so every time I lose I beat myself up a bit."

"I was in the right place at the right time," said Webb. "I felt great and I finished well. I was hurting a bit in that last lap, but I was still confident that I could be competitive. When Bernard picked it up, I went with him."

former1dog
06-12-2007, 08:12 PM

Did you catch the Pre Classic on tv on Sunday?

Pretty awesome distance events. Both the mile and 2 mile (yep, they ran a 2 mile) were won in fastest times ever run on American Soil.

Plus, Matt Tegenkamp finished 3rd in the 2 mile and set an American record in the process running 8:07.

Symmonds, formerly of Williamette U. in Oregon, was the big shocker of the race winning the 800m by outkicking the 2007 Olympic champion and winning in mid 1:44.

Great stuff.