PDA

View Full Version : #4: What's your favorite GU...

lothar98zag
04-09-2007, 09:55 AM
...Elite Eight NCAA Tourney game?

(Here's something to kill some time during the offseason…)

See the poll to vote. ;)

And feel free to add your comments about anything related to any of these games...

Rank all of the games. Tell stories about the games. Which games did you attend? etc. etc.

Ok, j/k w/ this poll. Even though it's the only E8 game, I wanted to have a thread for people to comment on this game.

Depending on the overall response to my 4 polls I may create a 5th poll w/ the 4 winners to determine the officially unofficial favorite GU NCAA tourney game.

roxdoc
04-09-2007, 10:57 AM
We were soooooooooo close to beating the team that went on and won the entire thing. We gave them their toughest game of the entire tournament. Boy our team had heart that year!!

Akzag
04-09-2007, 01:07 PM
... the next one :)

Seriously, that would have been the best game ever to have Q "miked up."

cielmike
04-09-2007, 03:04 PM
but not because I could watch the game. I was on a two week business trip to the Northeast and happened to be driving from Hartford CT to Plymouth MA that Saturday when the game was on. Listened to it on the car radio tuned to the CT home-team announcers. Started out giving Zags not a snow-ball's chance in you know where of even staying on the court with them during the warmup let alone for the whole game. By the time the game ended, the homie announcers were calling it one of the best college b-ball games ever played.

So, sitting alone in a quiet Italian restaurant in Plymouth that night drowning my sorrows in Chianti while downing a plate of pasta, I could not help but hear over and over again the shrieking voice of a lady at a not too far table saying "And then GUNZOGGA did such and such...and GUNZOGGA did this...and the ZOGs almost did that...mumble mumble...ZOGs...ZOGs..." (all in that unmistabably unique Boston accent that only a Kennedy could admire while the rest of the nation laments).

Her husband and another couple at the table hardly got a word in edgewise. I was too far away to hear exactly her remarks but, as she finished, she uttered "and why should I care? Who the h#ll knows what a ZOG is anyway?" Ah, my elucidating opening - I strolled over to their table and politely explained that GUNZOGGA is Gone-Zagga, a Jesuit university in Spokane WA of which I am an allumnus and I would be happy to answer any questions. "Oh really?" the lady exclaimed "I could have used you around the house this afternoon to explain things to our son. I could care less about basketball but our son was home from CU for the weekend and was driving me nuts watching the game because he said the Huskies were supposed to walk all over the ZOGs...I mean ZAGs. I thought he was going to have a heart attack before the game was over. Kids shouldn't take this stuff so seriously." I advised her that the problem of college hoops being taken seriously over-the-top is not just limited to the younger generation.

They invited me to join them at their table for a glass of wine. They seemed very interested in GU, as an educational institution; even wanted to know who St. Aloysious Gonzaga was and his story. After doing our best with two bottles of Chianti, we amicably parted ways, all declaring victory because the two husbands did not have to hear further complaints about the son's b-ball adiction; the mother, because she was one step up on her son wrt why the Huskies didn't perform as expected; and I, because I love to talk about GU hoops even if we don't win and got the chance to do it...on the road...in our opponents back yard!

Mike

lothar98zag
04-09-2007, 04:07 PM
but not because I could watch the game. I was on a two week business trip to the Northeast and happened to be driving from Hartford CT to Plymouth MA that Saturday when the game was on. Listened to it on the car radio tuned to the CT home-team announcers. Started out giving Zags not a snow-ball's chance in you know where of even staying on the court with them during the warmup let alone for the whole game. By the time the game ended, the homie announcers were calling it one of the best college b-ball games ever played...

great story. thanks for sharing!

TR11Zag
04-09-2007, 05:41 PM
More cowbell!

lothar98zag
04-11-2007, 10:52 AM
(mid-week bump for more votes)

lothar98zag
04-13-2007, 08:42 PM
weekend bump for a few more comments

ZagSlug
04-13-2007, 09:33 PM