PDA

View Full Version : Just "do your job"!

HillBillyZag
09-28-2009, 12:06 PM
IMHO this Zag Squad will be the deepest team G.U. basketball has ever fielded. With the exception of experience, the back-ups will have as much to offer as the guy they are replacing. If the kids buy into the system and everyone just does their job, we will be in for a FUN season. I can hardly wait!

zag67
09-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Hillbilly, I agree. I think that this should be a great team to watch grow. Also I think that even as young as they are, there are enough good players at each position, that hopefully in most games one of them will step up.

Will they make errors? YES.
Will they lose some games as they grow up? YES
Will there be some close exciting games? YES
Will they be fun to watch? YES
Will Few and his staff have many "opportunities" during the year? YES
Will they make the post season? YES
How far will they go? ?????????????????

zagamatic
09-28-2009, 03:29 PM
I couldn't agree more with you HillBilly! This team is VERY deep at every position. Aside from Meech and Gj + Grant and Grey, I understand that none of the players have the same style of game. That presents unique match up problems, especially with players like Foster, Olynik and Kong to pluck from the bench.
And, as the saying goes, come March, there are no freshmen.
But, they will definitely play like a team with a lot of freshmen to start. It's gonna be a heck of a lot of fun to watch! Especially come tourney time and especially if none of the new guys redshirt.

Zag79
09-29-2009, 12:40 AM
IMHO this Zag Squad will be the deepest team G.U. basketball has ever fielded. With the exception of experience, the back-ups will have as much to offer as the guy they are replacing.

i tend to disagree. this will be the most unpredictable zag team, with alot of inexperienced players fighting for PT, but they are mostly unproven. how does that make this the "deepest" team?

NotoriousZ
09-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Quote:
IMHO this Zag Squad will be the deepest team G.U. basketball has ever fielded. With the exception of experience, the back-ups will have as much to offer as the guy they are replacing.

i tend to disagree. this will be the most unpredictable zag team, with alot of inexperienced players fighting for PT, but they are mostly unproven. how does that make this the "deepest" team?

I tend to disagree with your disagreement. Hillbilly said "will be" the deepest in his opinion, and I take that to mean by the end of the year or by midseason (or hopefully sooner). Most of the new guys are either redshirt freshmen or they have other valuable experience. Without a doubt, next year's team should be the "deepest team ever" for the whole year, but this year's team has these same guys + Bouldin.

EngineerZag
09-29-2009, 08:14 AM
There are no freshmen come March? Are you kidding me? What do you suppose it would be like to be a freshman and play in your first ever NCAA tournament? Yeah, there are still freshmen in March. Everything about the first year of collegiate basketball is new and exciting, and there are nerves that go along with that and boneheaded mistakes. I fully expect our team to experience plenty of these bumps as we have 8 (yes 8!) freshmen listed on the roster, only 2 seniors and only 1 junior.

That being said, next season and the years following we will be very deep, as HBZ says.

titopoet
09-29-2009, 02:49 PM
While it may seem like a team loaded with freshmen lacks what it takes to go deep in the tourney, it also common. OSU, Memphis, KU and even Butler (last years) have had good teams which included Freshmen playing important roles. I think the teams goal for march is to stay in Spokane. That would mean having a top 4 seed. I think that this is possible, especially since most of the top teams have question marks.

visit www.life-and-faith.org

Zag79
09-30-2009, 01:04 AM
Most of the new guys are either redshirt freshmen or they have other valuable experience. Without a doubt, next year's team should be the "deepest team ever" for the whole year

and all but a couple players are totally unproven. so if "deepest team ever" means having a lot of players we know nothing about or how they will perform, so be it. deep to me means proven starters, with a bench full of guys that can jump right in. even our starters are not proven, and our bench is all question marks. thats deep? this is like quality vs quantity at this point.

cjm720
09-30-2009, 08:00 AM
deep to me means proven starters, with a bench full of guys that can jump right in. even our starters are not proven, and our bench is all question marks. thats deep? this is like quality vs quantity at this point.

My hope and, frankly, expectation is that our quantity of players will prove to be quality players resulting in a deep bench. Sure they're inexperienced, and we as fans have never seen them play, BUT there is ample reason to be optimistic, and I sit squarely in that camp. Come March, we will be a DEEP team.

go zags!!

Reborn
09-30-2009, 10:50 AM
To me there seems to be a really big hangup about whether a player has "prooved" himself as a Zag. I think that every player on our roster has definitely prooved himself to Mark Few or he would not be at Gonzaga University. Mark Few has proven himself, imo, to have a very sharp eye for talent. Why else would he have the record that he has, and the reputation he has in the basketball world? All of these guys can play, believe me.

You take a guy like Elias Harris who has just made his national team, and tell me he still needs to prove himself to you? Wow!!! And take another guy like Manny Arop, who many here on GUBoard saw play this summer. And most of us read about him. We saw how he matched up against the best players in the United States, and we saw how great he played. He had the #4 highest rated recruit on his team, and I think that most of us saw that Manny was just as good. We've all heard and read about Bol Kong. I think he is somewhat questionable because he's been out of organized basetball for a while. But we know he is very talented. I think most would aslo agree that Sam Dower was a real steal. He may have been the best player in Minnesota.
And there are even some who would say that Steven Gray has not proved himself. That one really had me wondering what one needs to do to prove themselves to some of you?

I don't think that beause they have not played in a game as a Zag yet would indicate that they are unproven. Untested? Yes. Unproved. No. I think the better questions are "Can Mark Few get these guys to gel in one year?" And can they new players learn the offense and defense in one year? We know that Freshmen players generally have a very limited role on most of Mark Few's teams, and that as BZ said, at least two new players will need to play beyound what is normally expected of our Freshmem. I think we have two or could do that, and possibly three: Harris for sure, and probably Kong because they are 21 years old. And because Manny Arop seems to have really improve over the summer, that we can think that he too could be better than we first thought. I think these are the reasons that I am as optomistic as I am, and that my optomism does not mean that I am basis what I think on overzealousness. My excitement is based on history. That means it's based on who the Zags are.

I haven't even said yet that we will even make it to the Sweet 16. I have said, that based on the kind of talent that I believe we have that we can be in the top 25 by the end of the year. I hope that this proves to be a concervative guess, and there's a part of me that believes that it is.

former1dog
09-30-2009, 11:01 AM
The only way for anyone to prove themselves in any endeavor is to perform well within that endeavor.

If you want to prove you're a good D1 Basketball player, you have to play well in D1 basketball games. There shouldn't be any debate whatsoever about that.

Being recruited and signed by a D1 basketball doesn't prove you're a good D1 basketball player. There are literally thousands of players who despite being good enough to be recruited, never performed well or at all on the D1 level.

The only thing that a player proves by being recruited into a D1 basketball program is that they have the potential to be a good D1 basketball player. Potential and $5 bucks gets you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, but that's about it.

Zageist
09-30-2009, 11:32 AM
The only way for anyone to prove themselves in any endeavor is to perform well within that endeavor.

If you want to prove you're a good D1 Basketball player, you have to play well in D1 basketball games. There shouldn't be any debate whatsoever about that.

Being recruited and signed by a D1 basketball doesn't prove you're a good D1 basketball player. There are literally thousands of players who despite being good enough to be recruited, never performed well or at all on the D1 level.

The only thing that a player proves by being recruited into a D1 basketball program is that they have the potential to be a good D1 basketball player. Potential and $5 bucks gets you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, but that's about it.

Could not agree more.