PDA

View Full Version : #2: What's your favorite GU...

lothar98zag
04-09-2007, 09:40 AM
...second round NCAA Tourney game?

(Here's something to kill some time during the offseason…)

See the poll to vote.

And feel free to add your comments about anything related to any of these games...

Rank all of the games. Tell stories about the games. Which games did you attend? etc. etc.

brasszag
04-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Arizona - how could one not vote for one of the greatest games ever?

roxdoc
04-09-2007, 11:02 AM
I voted for Arizona too, even as a loss. That game showed the world what Zags are made of, and why college basketball is so much better than pro "basketball".

lothar98zag
04-09-2007, 12:01 PM
#1: 1999 W vs Stanford (booked first ever trip to Sw16, proved win vs cheating Gophers wasnít a fluke, first NCAA win I saw in person, the atmosphere in the Key was incredible)

#2: 2003 L vs Arizona (amazing game from start to eventual finish - except the last play, if GU had won this would easily be #1 on this list, watched it in Vegas as part of a 4 day hoops vacation w/ some friends)

#3, tie: 2000 W vs St Johnís & 2001 W vs Indiana St (both games proved the previous tourney wins were not a fluke and GU wasnít going away, but neither game were as special Ė to me - as the 99 win)

#5: 2006 W vs Indiana (doesnít feel like this game should be so low, but there just arenít that many bad games for this round Ė Iím not complaining, it was significant in that it got GU back to the Sw16 after a 4 year absence, but it wasnít as meaningful, to me as the other 3 wins)

#6: 2005 L vs Texas Tech (blown 2nd half lead, blah)

#7: 2004 L vs Nevada (after most losses, Iím some combo of sad/reflective/depressed Ė during and after this game I was extremely pissed, and I still get a bit angry thinking about this game, will probably be at the bottom of this list for a long time, yuck)

D Hark 2003
04-09-2007, 03:47 PM
1999 game vs Stanford with Mark Madsen, I was there, it was AWESOME and i havent been to a better game since then.

The one thing that bothers me about this game is that Mark Madsen is in it and he somehow made it to the NBA and has had a pretty long career. I could never figure out how Madsen can play in the NBA for so long and Casey Calvary who was very similar in style to madsen never made a final NBA roster. I firmly believe that Calvary is as good if not better than madsen, maybe he's not as big (although i think they are about the same size) but Calvary is hands down a better leaper and just more athletic in general IMO. Its a bunch of BS. Oh well Calvary is doing well in European and Australian leagues anyways. I havent seen Casey play much since college either but i hear he has developed his game away from the basket more too. I think he still has a chance to make an NBA roster if he tries. He might as well keep the six figures he makes overseas tax free....

lothar98zag
04-11-2007, 10:51 AM
(mid-week bump for more votes)

TrueLiz
04-13-2007, 08:00 PM
I have lots of vivid memories of watching the Arizona game. I was traveling for work in exotic Ames, IA, and found a sports bar with the March Madness Package where I camped out for games the 1st & 2nd weekend. I went alone to watch the Arizona game, but by the time it was done, I had a lot of "friends" who were rather amazed watching that game. The video of Stepp missing that last shot keeps playing in my mind, and I'm waiting for it to go in one of these times!

roxdoc
04-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Another memory I have of that game was the full 2-page spread picture of that last second shot in Sports Illustrated - sigh - just frozen in time!!! Nobody between Stepp and the basket, but no time:mad:

Also Bill Walton raving about it as the best game he ever saw on several sports radio shows during the following week.

ZagNative
04-14-2007, 01:32 AM
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/zags/slideshows/turiaf05/8.jpg
"Ronny Turiaf is greeted by Coach Mark Few after fouling out of a game against Arizona late in the 4th quarter. Brian Plonka/The Spokesman-Review"

The Scout article quoted from below, describing the ten greatest Arizona games, started a very nostalgic thread on GoAZCats several months ago:

Top 10 Greatest Games - Part I

By Gary Randazzo
Basketball Editor
Posted Aug 9, 2006

(6) “Losing is a Disease…

Like Syphilis…like Hepatitis…” I say this because Gonzaga fans must have been sick for weeks after watching their team lose by one to UA in double overtime during the second round of the 2003 NCAA Tournament. Our 96-95 victory is listed as one of the greatest tournament games of all time right up there with the likes of Duke/Kentucky, Georgetown/Villanova, NC State/Houston, and North Carolina/Michigan. In addition to the amazing heroism that was being displayed on the court, was the equally amazing sacrifices that were being made at my parent’s house that afternoon where friends and family had gathered to watch the game. With less than five minutes to play in regulation, a positive vibe began to fill the room, even though the Zags seemed to have an answer for everything Arizona did. So, like all completely insane, totally irrational sports fans, the guys in our group did the only seemingly rational thing we could in such an adverse situation and demanded that nobody move or shift positions anymore until further instructed. One of the couples at the house that day was my UA buddy Scott and his pregnant wife Heather who within a minute of our mandate, had to go to the bathroom. Impressively, but to the damnation of every male in the house, Heather did not get up until Luke Walton rebounded Blake Stepp’s missed follow-up bank shot from five feet out some thirty minutes later to finally seal the victory. By the time an utterly exhausted Walton collapsed to the floor in celebratory relief, Heather was in the restroom.

If it wasn’t for Heather and others like her, we would have lost that game. I’m convinced of it.

Lute said after the game in a great SI story (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/2003/ncaa_tourney/news/2003/03/22/arizona_gonzaga_ap/),

"If you did not care who won, it was a great college basketball game," Arizona coach Lute Olson said. "That was not a game for people who weren't willing to lay it out on the floor."

I've never watched a game where I was prouder of the Zags or that had more heart-in-your-throat moments for me.